1. Request

WHITE LIES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What is worse than having a family that keeps taunting you about getting a boyfriend or married?

Nothing.

At least that’s what Jung Eunji felt about her life for the last three months. Her mom spent too much of her time setting her up on a blind date. The perks of being the only daughter in the family. Sometimes she wished she had younger siblings, so her attention would be divided to her or him. At first, she didn’t really mind it and humoring her by attending several meetings but lately mom obsession with this blind date thingy getting really severe, especially after Sooyoung, her childhood friend got married several weeks ago. Lucky her, she had a valid reason to bail on the wedding and save from another mom’s favorite lecture about marriage and stuff. Besides, she wasn’t that close to this Sooyoung girl.

Eunji turned 28 years old this year and she has been running solo since she started working at Grenstone, a popular real estate investment, development, and management firm in the country. This is probably one of the reasons behind mom’s crazy obsession with blind date thing. Sometimes mom acted like she's going to stay single for the rest of her life and being stubborn about it. She will get married. Someday. Not now. She can’t afford to have a committed relationship that required sacrificing her time for someone else when she barely has time for herself. Of course, she never told mom that, it'll put her in another difficult position.

She has been working at Grenstone for almost 3 years as a junior project manager. The ‘junior’ title probably already explain everything about her job, she’s basically a slave in a formal office attire. After two years working like crazy, everyone but her get a promotion. Unfair? Yeah, she knew that too, but she couldn’t do anything about it, she complained once and got told off by her pain in the supervisor. He said she was not good enough to be assigned as a senior manager, let alone to be a team leader and blah blah blah. He’s probably the most annoying human being in this office. His name is Kim Sunggyu, 5 feet 10 inches tall, great proportion, charming small eyes (sometimes he wear glasses), basically, he’s a good-looking guy with a fair complexion. Well, that was everyone said about him. She never really cares about Kim Sunggyu’s so-called golden traits. She hated him. He’s a tyrant, at least to her, she never heard anyone complained or talking bad about him, maybe he never tormented them as he did to her. 

People always said you need a ‘connection’ in every field of jobs to back you up. Eunji believes that at first, but now she thought that was a total rubbish. It’s not working for her. She knew her boss and he wasn't helping her at all. In fact, he’s the one who sabotaged her promotion. How is that helping her? She considered to resign several times but he talked her out of it. No, it wasn't a nice-motivational pep talk, more like blunt comments like ‘Get your together Eunji and stop whining! It won’t get you anywhere' and something along the line.

Oh yeah, they know each other alright! Kim Sunggyu was the one who recommended Grenstone to her. She still remembered on her graduation day, he showed up holding a flower bouquet then handing her Grenstone business card. Honestly, she never expected he would come to her graduation, she hasn't seen him for a while, he’s kinda MIA after his graduation. Besides, they were not that close.

Sunggyu probably the only Sunbae she knew back in her sophomore year. He was doing his last project before his graduation and the professor assigned her to be his assistance because she was late 4 minute

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter