According to Their Friends

This Frustrating Thing Called Imagination
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: A combination of  2015-2016 (Bogum and Wendy) and 181225 (Jennie). No rated part. Yet. :P

Bo-Gum liked Red Velvet’s leader when he met her the first time. She stood out among all her peers, not that they aren’t pretty, Irene Bae was just too ethereal.

He went through almost all the girl group’s content including their profile before meeting with her. He does this so he won’t be empty-handed for every first meetup. He learned that she’s the leader and eldest of the group. She's also the rapper. A fact he can’t wrap around his head when he heard her soft feminine voice as she introduced herself.

All in all, seeing her in person left him breathless. Everything about her screams ideal that he can’t help but to like her. There’s just one thing that made him stop pursuing the SME beauty. Bangtan Boys’ V, his now close friend.

He noticed it when they accidentally visited Bangtan’s waiting room. He was talking with the boy group and was going to include the beauty in the conversation, knowing that she’s the quiet type upon observation. The exchange between her and V stopped him from doing so. Irene’s eyes were different even back then when she looked at V that he can’t help but feel jealous, so he cut the conversation short and whisked her away. Don’t ask. Male pride.

The second time was when Bangtan Boys dropped by their waiting room when they were promoting Dope to greet them and give out their album. He saw how the two of them tried not to look at each other too much. It might have been cute if Bo-Gum doesn't like Irene too, that time.

He tried appealing to her when they were alone but after countless attempts and witnessing their endless staring contest he finally gave up. There’s no way that he’ll ever get the heart of Bae Irene when her focus was only on V. And the guy, well he’s so enamored with the older woman that he often stutters and blushes in front of her.

The three of them became friends and Bo-Gum was able to watch the progress of their relationship. From awkward bowing to openly flirting, he witnessed it all.

Of course, their relationship is not all rainbow and sunshine all the time. Bo-Gum also witnessed how Tae-Hyung struggled to stop his feelings for Irene. This made him confused because he knows that they like each other, so he asked his friend why he hasn't made a move to ask the woman out yet.

“I’m not good enough for her, hyung.”

“Eh? What made you say that?”

The guy just shrugged and looked far away. Bo-Gum can see the sadness reflecting in his eyes so, he didn’t comment. But when he saw how Irene tried to hide her hurt and confused expression everytime Tae-Hyung suddenly turn from hot to cold, it made him confront his friend again.

“Why are you doing this?”

“What, hyung?”

“Why do you keep giving her mixed signals when all of us knows that you guys like each other?” he said sternly.

“Are you waiting for her to make a move first or something?”

“No.” The guy looked away, “I told you I’m not good enough for her.”

He shakes his head. “Tell me. Why do you think you’re not?”

The guy looks at him devastatingly. “I don’t have anything that I can really offer to her. You saw her admirers. Some of them have a stable career than I am. A stable flow of income. More handsome. And with my group’s current situation I don’t think that she’ll even choose me.” 

She already picked you. Are you kidding me? 

He finds it stupid how a guy like Tae-Hyung can have low self-esteem when he is literally THE whole package. He has the looks that can easily disarm anyone especially if he smiles brightly. His charms are top notch especially when he’s on stage. He’s also sweet and considerate to everyone. He understands where Tae-Hyung’s coming from, though. You always want to have your best foot forward when you like someone.

At the same time, he can’t erase in his mind the hurt look on Irene's face since she’s also his friend. She’s a mature and smart woman. Bo-Gum thinks that she knows what she’s signing up for when she decided to make her feeling known for Tae-Hyung.

“Don’t tell me that you’re gonna wait for your group to be famous before you make a move?” His friend only looks down. “You know, if you keep being indecisive like this, Tae-Hyung-ah, someone might really steal Irene away from you. As you said, she has many admirers. It’s not gonna be long before she gets tired of what you’re doing and looks for someone else.”

Tae-Hyung sighed, “I know, hyung.”

“Do something about it, then. Don’t just go around and confusing the poor woman. You already know that she likes you back. That’s your advantage over her countless suitors.”

He clasped the guy’s shoulder. “Use it. Be a man. Tell her that you like her. The conversation will follow. Just make her understand, bro.”

When Irene showed up on their waiting room one day, looking like someone injected her with a happy pill Bo-Gum knows that Tae-Hyung finally made his move.

Bangtan visited their waiting room to do their usual routine of promoting their album, this time for Young Forever. He saw Tae-Hyung who was, by the way, also wearing a white jacket like them pulling Irene at the back of the room. The other guys just look at him knowingly as they ignore the two. Bo-Gum can't see what they were doing with Tae-Hyung's height towering over Irene. He saw from his peripheral vision the guy pulling something from his pocket and putting it on Irene's hand as he whispered to the woman.

The broadcast was already starting when he noticed something sparkling on his partner's right hand when they got their mic from the staff. It was a ring. A simple gold ring. Bo-Gum can't help but when he noticed the shape of it. “V” just like the stage name of the guy who probably gave it to her. She blushed but didn't say anything.

He should be sad since the woman in front of him, the one he once like was now out of bounds. Instead, he felt happy and proud that he’s one of the few who got to witness how their love began and bloomed in the future.

He wishes for his friends to be happy like they are now. Always.

It goes without saying that Son Seung-Wan aka Wendy loves her members dearly especially their leader, Bae Joo-Hyun or most commonly known as Irene.

The members will agree with her that Bae Joo-Hyun is the epitome of a strong and caring person. Her Joo-Hyun unnie took it upon herself to take care of them when Red Velvet was created because they won't be seeing their families as they got busy. Joo-Hyun was always there to listen to their problems. She was their shoulder to lean on. Wendy will be forever grateful to have such a caring leader that Seung-Wan wants to lessen her unnie's burden. The problem is her Joo-Hyun unnie doesn't show her vulnerable side to them.

She will just stay silent even if she has problems on her own. Seung-Wan felt helpless whenever her unnie locks herself inside the room where no one can see her cry. Their leader will call their company seniors to ask for guidance whenever a problem arises instead of saying it to them.

So, Seung-Wan doesn't know if it was good that Joo-Hyun got interested in Bangtan's 4D member, V. Her unnie never really showed her real emotions before she met the guy. As each time passed by, Wendy observes how her unnie acts differently when the Bangtan member is around.

Joo-Hyun never really showed any interest in men, so it amuses her when her leader would become alert whenever V became the topic of EXO sunbae-nims' conversation. Wendy never saw her look and smile softly at anybody like how she does to the guy. Joo-Hyun is also occupied with her phone these days. The members would sometimes catch their leader smiling softly whenever her phone vibrates. They could only look at each other because they know who she's texting. Happiness, sadness, and anger. Joo-Hyun showed it all when she met V.

Wendy took it upon herself to befriend the guy. She approves upon confirming that he has a good character. V is pure. He embraces all sort of person and treats everyone with care and respect. She knows that he’ll be good to her unnie, so she pushes them together with the help of her company seniors and of course Bangtan and her members.

The two were doing great. Baek-Hyun updates her because V sometimes seeks advice regarding her leader. It comes as a surprise though that with all their not so subtle staring contest and flirting, they’re still not official.

She cornered Joo-Hyun who was inside her room that time, busy folding their laundry. The only response that she got was a shrug. It alarms Wendy that Joo-Hyun was acting nonchalant so, she asked again, "I won't move until you tell me."

Her leader sighed, finally relenting. “He’s busy with their world tour so, we’re taking it slow.” That’s not it. Seung-Wan can feel that it’s not with the way her unnie tried to avoid looking at her.

She squinted, "are you having second thoughts?”

Joo-Hyun whipped her head so fast to look at her. Ah, bingo. Her unnie looked at her as she bites her lips. A habit of hers when she’s either frustrated or thinking or both.

"He is younger than me, Seung-Wan-ah. A lot younger.”

"So? That didn't stop you from liking him back then. How come you're thinking of that right now?"

“What if we got caught? It will ruin his reputation. I don’t want him to have any problems just because he’s dating me," Joo-Hyun looks at her sadly. "What about our schedule? They're getting busier and busier. So are we. Can we handle all the pressure? Isn’t it better to just not get into a relationship?”

It was then that Wendy realizes how much Joo-Hyun's feelings run deep for the guy. It tells her that her leader might have really fallen for the guy for her to not worry about her own reputation. She sighed, she has never been in love but looking at the face of her unnie tells her that love is only simple i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter