VRene 2015: A Compilation

This Frustrating Thing Called Imagination
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Taehyung is in love.

He declared it himself.

He had dated quite a few, almost all of it out of politeness, but he had never experienced how his heart felt like it got stuck in his throat. How that same heart beats a little too fast that it makes him tremble, makes his mouth dry that he had to resort to his lips just to get himself together. The number of times that he had already been reprimanded by Sejin hyung and s for staring too much can’t be counted anymore by his fingers and toes.

All because of her. Irene of Red Velvet.

It was as if time stood still when he first saw her standing awkwardly during the encore stage of their company senior artist, Super Junior. Taehyung got mesmerized as he took in her beauty that very first time. If not for Hoseok hyung bumping into him he would’ve made a bigger fool of himself.

Pictures and videos of her would never be enough for him when he already saw her up close during SMA. Her smile. It was so beautiful that he can’t forget it even though it was only a momentarily encounter. He was elated knowing that he'll be able to see her again. Thanking whoever thought of casting her as one of the emcees of KBS’s music show. Because catching even a small glimpse of her backstage brought great energy to him.

It was enough.

Or at least it used to be.

Day by day he started to wonder about the things she likes or do during her free time. His heart grew fuzzy whenever he thought of her. Just to satiate his longingness, he spends his days and nights looking at her pictures or videos that don’t even justify her real beauty.

So, Taehyung declared it.

He likes her.

He wants her.

But he’s just Kim Taehyung and she’s Bae Joohyun. There was just too much gap on their status. She resides in a palace while he lives in a small hut. It’s like he is a peasant and she is a princess who is always surrounded by many prince-like male artists. He’s more of a joker than a prince, anyways. There’s just no way in hell that she’ll like him back, want him back. Still, if only she’ll look his way or talk to him just a little and launch that pretty smile of hers, it would be a dream come true.

That’s all he can ever ask for in this lifetime because Taehyung thinks that he was just not worthy of her.

 

 

“Not bad for a first day, right?” asked Bogum as he slides beside her on their way back to the waiting room so they can prepare for their welcome dinner party.

KBS Music Bank PD applauded them earlier for a job well done. Joohyun couldn’t be more relieved to hear it since this is her first time hosting a show. She was still fumbling but she likes her new job and Park Bogum, her co-host, was also nice and considerate.

“Yeah. Good job.”

They shared a smile and continued walking when there was a loud thud followed by a series of laughter from inside one of the waiting room that they’re about to pass. “Yah! Park Jimin!” She flinched at the loud voice. Raising both her eyebrows when Bogum’s steps started to hurry towards the room, curiosity etched on his handsome face. She followed him after hearing another booming laughter inside the room, expression now mirroring her co-host.

When she reached the open waiting room, she saw a pink hair pale guy slumped on the couch. Bangtan Boys' Suga had his eyes closed and looks like he’s not bothered at all by the loud noises. Besides him was their leader, Rap Monster, shaking his head. He bowed down sheepishly when he saw them before directing his gaze in front of s again.

“Yah, stop it already!”

Following his line of sight, a tangled heap of bodies on the floor greeted her and Joohyun tried not to laugh out of politeness. Recalling the list of today’s performing artists and each member was helpful after all as she recognized the one beneath. Jin, the oldest of the group. His red face was caught between laughter and pain as he thumps his left hand in defeat while his other hand wrapped and hanging on the neck of Park Jimin, their resident beagle. It amazed her how he looked like she’s not even a bit hurt from the chokehold as he sits on the top of the oldest. The body lying across Jin was probably their maknae, Jungkook. She can’t really see his face but she deducted that after seeing the laughing J-Hope who was kneeling on the floor. And of course, how can she forget V’s face. The guy was slightly hunched over his hyung. Pure joy on his beautiful face. His box smile in full force, smiling in mischief as he sways his hyung’s legs.

One word. Cute.

“We have visitors, you guys!”

Their leader’s authoritative voice made them stop. And Joohyun’s heart involuntarily skipped a beat when V’s eyes accidentally met hers as he looked at their direction. His eyes, already animatedly big, got wider. Probably surprised upon realizing that there are others inside the room, he abruptly let go of Jin’s legs. The latter groaned and Irene covered her hand to stop her laughter at the comically scrunched up expression of Bangtan’s oldest hyung.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” V shyly smiles, averting his eyes as he bows. She bowed back, biting her lips to stop an incoming smile because she really thinks he’s cute like this, all shy and embarrassed. A huge contrast when he’s performing.

“I’m Park Bogum. I Need U is an amazing song. I hope you win.”

“I’m Irene from Red Velvet. Congratulations on your comeback, sunbaenims.”

Bangtan Boys congratulated them back on their performance and hosting earlier. They entertained Bogum who was asking them questions after questions but she can’t focus on the conversation because she kept on catching V stealing a look at her. She found it funny and flattering how he immediately looks away every time their eyes met and nods at his hyung as if he’s really listening. Then side-eye her again after a few seconds while he bites or his lips. His reaction was priceless when Joohyun smiled at him when she caught his eyes making him blush. Too cute.

“Let’s go, Irene-ssi? We still have a welcome party to attend.” Bogum tapped her shoulder. She blinks and nods at him before exchanging goodbyes with the boy group. She expected V to have his usual bright smile when she looks at him. Instead, she saw him frowning. Creases on his forehead deepening more as he looks at her and Bogum. He stared at them for a fraction of a second longer before he looks down. A slight pout graced his beautiful face. It made her anxious but her co-host was already ushering her outside the room.

Has she done something wrong? Why did he suddenly look like that? Joohyun kept thinking about it even when she’s already inside her company’s car going to the party that her manager has to call her twice when she didn’t respond to her query.

She’s turning this into a big deal. Who knows what he was thinking, right? She sighed. Bangtan Boys’ V was already taking up more space in her mind even before they can have a direct conversation, to begin with.

She sighed again.

 

 

KBS building looks gorgeous and expensive inside and out. Careful planning by the executive team and hired engineers had made it look pristine even on the eyes of every passerby. But like every building it had a few rooms and halls that are abandoned, waiting to be used in the future or just to store equipment that will later be scrapped. Upturned chairs on some dusty desk, cobwebs on empty cabinets and huge carefully taped boxes were common on these halls. One would think that it will be quite ridiculous to go and explore these lonesome halls. They were wrong. A lot of people, especially those hiding, some to smoke a cigar or vent their anger at their colleagues on the poor walls and equipment.

Who knows, really? But people go to these places, each with a reason.

Like Bae Joohyun for example. As a frequent visitor of these hollowed rooms and halls, she enjoys taking a breather after hectic emceeing before going to another schedule. Which is why she treks the stairs leading to it every time her schedule overwhelms her. Always sitting on the top step of the stairs, sometimes roaming around, heaving a huge sigh of relief knowing that she can be alone again for a couple of minutes. Or so she thought. Because today, she was certainly not alone, she thinks as she looks back at the beautiful eyes of Bangtan Seonyeondan’s V.

Why did she choose to look for the source of that loud sniff earlier instead of running back to her waiting room? Because she honestly didn’t anticipate seeing him here out of all the people inside this huge building. She also didn’t expect to do the unthinkable thing that she, Bae Joohyun the poker queen of Red Velvet, doesn’t really do to someone she’s not close to. She wanted to slap herself when she remembers how she manhandled the poor guy by the wrist, ignoring his surprised face and dragged him with her inside one of the empty rooms.

Now she’s stuck with him, feeling like she’s back to being a teenager, abnormally nervous and fidgety around the guy she likes. Her original goal of getting a moment of respite was replaced by this overwhelming and confusing feeling. He just smiled for someone’s sake. Yeah, he looks really handsome despite being a crying mess earlier, but really? What is wrong with her, seriously?

It’s was embarrassing and annoying. He’s annoying.

But somehow, she’s relieved. She felt accomplished knowing that she helped him, somehow. The look he had now was far better than the sorrowful expression he had back when she found him earlier. Yesterday’s predicament spreads like wildfire among netizens. How unfortunate that the guy in front of her was the center of it. It had obviously taken a toll on him.

His anguished look broke her heart.

Bangtan's first ever win ever since debut was supposed to be a meaningful one. Yet, they appeared on MuBank broadcast looking stiff, too careful of any movement that can be interpreted negatively by the antis. Being a shy person, Joohyun can only regrettably watch as Bogum tried to keep the mood light to no avail. That’s why when she boldly told V to take a seat on one of the moldy chairs of the room, she blurted out the words she wanted to say when she saw his hurt and disappointed look backstage, “Don’t listen to them.”

V stopped fiddling with his hands then and whipped his head to look at her, his already big beautiful eyes locked on to hers and Irene tried not to fidget in her spot. Still, she took the courage to continue, squaring her shoulders as she mouthed the words in her head. Even she herself can’t figure out why she’s talking this much. “They’re just meaningless words. Your group did amazing. Don’t let them turn it into something not worth celebrating for.”

She bit her lips, remembering how intently he looked her as if he’s analyzing what she’s made of. After a few seconds, he leaned forward with his elbows on his thighs before he opens his mouth, his voice gruff from crying. “I know but sometimes it’s hard to digest all the negativity. We won. Finally. After two years of waiting, we finally won. Then I messed up big time. I feel disappointed with myself. Like I snatched the members chance to celebrate because of what I did.”

“You didn’t mean to disrespect them, though,” she countered.

V shook his head. “Still… I ed up. They’re already spreading that our company bought our albums,” he scoffed. Irene can feel the resentment in his voice. “How can we even do that when we’re all still sleeping in one room until now? How can we buy our own albums when we can’t even film a decent music video because we don’t have the funds?” He said, blinking away the tears threatening to fall on his face again. “Then this happened. I feel so stupid.”

His voice sounded so broken that Irene wants to go and hug him. The need to protect him was so great, but she stops herself. It’s inappropriate for her to do that. They’re not even friends. Either way, she wanted to help him because she believes no one deserves to be bashed like that. Idols are human too. They feel what every other mortal being in this world feels. At the very least, Red Velvet has experienced seniors in SME who taught them the know-how of the idol world but they, Bangtan, have no one with the same job path who can help them with these things.

“Does it really matter?” Their eyes met. Her heart involuntarily twitched. “Does it really matter what others say?” She her lips, emotions flooding inside of her. “You have your fans to support you. More than that, you have your members. You have passion. You love music. You love performing on stage. Anyone can tell how much you enjoy it when they watch your performance. I think you’re great. I admire how you can smile even though you're tired.”

She stopped when she noticed how V was looking at her again, this time with a little tilt in his lips. Joohyun swallowed the invisible lump on when he continued to gaze at her. The keen look on his eyes was back again mixed with something that she’s familiar with. Admiration. It shouldn’t affect her because she's used to this kind of things but she doesn’t know why her heart was beating an extra mile when it comes to this guy.

If it was not for the surprising mother hen mode of Bangtan’s Jimin, Joohyun would have melted on spot. And now here they were, too close to each other when he prevented Jimin from opening the door, locking it as he sheepishly whispered sorry to her. Her brain was telling her other vital parts all the things that she’s against with. Like telling her ears to not hear the loud banging of the beagle outside, her blood to go up and spread heat on her face or her lungs to stop breathing.

Just because Kim Taehyung’s smile turned a little wider and brighter. His eyes softly sparkling. And it’s all directed at her.

 “You’re nice, Irene-ssi,” he said with that husky voice of his, making her heart annoyingly shake, "Thank you for the advice. I'll be sure to remember it."

“Taehyung!” Jimin hissed and banged at the wall. She saw V closed his eyes as he sighs. “I have to go now. The mochi on the door is getting too annoying.”

He smiled again and Irene has to blink at its brightness so she only nods. “I’ll see you around. Take care, Irene-ssi.” He opens the door and steps outside leaving Joohyun to calm herself because she can’t erase how V smiled at her warmly.

You’re in trouble, Joohyun.

 

 

“Wow.”

At Jimin’s exclamation, Taehyung turned to the television plastered on the walls of their cramped KBS waiting room. He took a deep breath as he tried to calm his crazily beating heart when he saw the two figures on the screen. The corner of his lips automatically turned up as she started to say her lines. It was totally unfair how she looks good on and off the screen. It goes without saying, though. It was becoming a knowing fact that Bae Irene, leader of Red Velvet would probably be the next face of their company SM Entertainment and arguably, their generation. For Taehyung though, there’s no room for arguments. She will always look good in his eyes.

He used to think that ideals are just one of the perfect forms your imagination conjures. But then she showed up and proved that “ideals” do exist in this world. Yes, it was her undeniable beauty that caught his eyes but her personality sealed the deal for him. Not only was she gorgeous, but she’s also nice and compassionate. Warmth spread inside him when he recounted how she comforted him even though they’re not close. Having learned that she’s not an easy woman, Taehyung was surprised and intrigued when she approached first and offered a listening ear. More than that, he was too elated because he got to talk to her alone even if it was embarrassing because she had seen him cry like a baby. That’s why despite trying to control himself because of the endless teasing from his brothers about his obvious staring and his habit of biting and his lips whenever she’s within his peripheral vision, he just can’t. Really can’t.

Believe him, he’s trying his best but asked anyone who thinks that they found the right one if they can stop their heart from liking that person?

Certainly not him.

Not when she looks like a goddess who came on earth to grace them, mere humans, with her ethereal beauty and talent. Not when he got a glimpse of her real self that one time just to comfort a stranger like him.

It only made him like her more.

“Wow. They really look good toge--”

Taehyung forced a laugh at the grunting Jimin as his friend tried to pry their maknae’s strong arms from his neck. Jimin looks at him apologetically, realization on his face when he realized what he just said. Taehyung responded with a nod and a smile. It’s okay, he bitterly thought. It’s not Jimin’s fault because even he admits that the two emcees look good together. The media and fans have been noticing their chemistry too. The public said that their segment looks like a “We Got Married” episode.

The guy, actor Park Bogum, had this manly yet boyish charm. He’s handsome and tall too. From their many encounters, Taehyung can already tell that he’s a genuine and stable guy with the way he carries his weight. He always had a smile reserve for everyone on the KBS building no matter who they are. Compared to Taehyung who once thought that he’s handsome because his family and close friends kept on telling him so, only to get his confidence shut down the minute they debuted because he saw a lot of male celebrities who he thinks were much more good-looking than him. One can clearly tell that Park Bogum is way above him.

He’s the perfect partner for the equally perfect Bae Irene.

With that, Taehyung always reminds himself to be satisfied with their accidental encounter. At least now the beautiful emcee knows his name and smiles at him whenever they see each other. At some point maybe he can have a repeat of their small moment. Without the tears, of course. He doesn’t have a chance with her. But being friends is okay too, right?

He forced a smile as he listens to the two emcees on the screen, ignoring the sting on his chest. If he repeats it like a mantra, maybe someday he might finally convince himself that not messing the world’s status quo is good too.

 

Taehyung stood straight after bowing to the people inside the crowded room. Biting his lower lip as he tried to listen to his leader hyung initiating a talk with Park Bogum and not at the person sitting on the chair just a few feet away from where he stood. Her stylist was adorning her beautifully curled golden hair with colorful rubber things. He doesn’t know the right term for it, either way, it looked good on her. But who was he kidding? Everything Bae Irene wear is pretty. Taehyung can stare at her all day and not get bored or tired.

After a few second though he squinted, forcing the corner of his lips to stay put as he saw her fidget in her seat. Once in a while, she would bite her lower lip or play with her fingers and the blanket that was draped on her legs. It was too cute. He wondered what was bothering her.

The topic had already taken a turn on their upcoming tour but he was too focused on her that he wasn’t able to catch, much less answer, Park Bogum’s question when the guy turned to him. He was so damn distracted that he got startled by the actor’s exclamation when Namjoon hyung told the amicable guy that this week would be their last promotion for “Dope”. It was loud enough that Irene might have been surprised because she turned around so fast to look at their direction. His heart clenched when their eyes met before her stylist, who also looked at his direction to Taehyung’s surprise, laughingly scolded her, saying that she’s about done with Irene’s hair and directed her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter