Day 0: Miss Right

This Frustrating Thing Called Imagination
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Read this with Take It Slow, yeah? Thank you, "Boy With Luv" for giving me the inspiration to finish this long piece T T

 

Kim Taehyung is in love.

He declared it himself.

He had dated quite a few, almost all of it out of politeness, but he had never experienced how his heart felt like it got stuck in his throat. How that same heart beats a little too fast that it makes him tremble, makes his mouth dry that he had to resort to his lips just to get himself together. The number of times that he had already been reprimanded by Sejin hyung and s for staring too much can’t be counted anymore by his fingers and toes.

All because of her. Irene of Red Velvet.

It was as if time stood still as he took in her beauty the first time he saw her standing awkwardly during the encore stage of their company senior artist, Super Junior. If not for Hoseok hyung bumping into him, he would’ve made a bigger fool of himself. Pictures and videos of her would never be enough for him when he already saw her up close during SMA. It was a momentarily encounter which he would never forget.

He was happy knowing that he'll be able to see her again and thank whoever thought of casting her to be one of the emcees of KBS’s music show. Catching even a small glimpse of her backstage brought great energy to him.

It was enough.

Or at least it used to be.

Day by day he started to wonder about the things she likes or the things that she does during her break or idle time. His heart grew fuzzy whenever he thought of her. His days and nights are spent looking at her pictures or videos that don’t even justify her real beauty just to satiate his longingness.

So, Taehyung declared it.

He likes her.

He wants her.

But he’s just Kim Taehyung and she’s Bae Joohyun. There was just too much gap on their status. She resides in a palace while he lives in a small hut. It’s like he is a peasant and she is a princess who is always surrounded by many prince-like male artists. He’s more of a joker than a prince, anyways. There’s just no way in hell that she’ll like him back, want him back. Still, if only she’ll look his way or talk to him just a little and launch that pretty smile of hers, it would be a dream come true.

That’s all he can ever ask for in this lifetime because Taehyung thinks that he was just not worthy of her.

 

 

150626 - KBS Music Bank (DOPE Era / MC Irene)

“Wow.”

At Jimin’s exclamation, Taehyung turned to the television plastered on the walls of their cramped waiting room inside KBS building. He took a deep breath as he tried to calm his crazily beating heart when he saw the two figures on the screen. The corner of his lips automatically turned up as she started to say her lines. It was totally unfair how she looks good on and off the screen. It goes without saying, though. It was becoming a knowing fact that Bae Irene, leader of Red Velvet would probably be the next face of their company SM Entertainment and arguably, this idol’s generation. For Taehyung though, there’s nothing to argue about anymore. She will always look good in his eyes.

He used to think that ideals are just one of the perfect forms of your imagination conjures. But then she showed up and proved that “ideals” do exist in this world. Yes, it was her undeniable beauty that caught his eyes but her personality sealed the deal for him. Not only was she gorgeous, but she’s also nice and compassionate. Warmth spread inside him when he recounted how she comforted him even though they’re not close. Having learned that she’s not an easy woman, Taehyung was surprised and intrigued when she approached first and offered a listening ear. More than that, he was too elated because he got to talk to her alone even if it was embarrassing because she had seen him cry like a baby. That’s why despite trying to control himself because of the endless teasing from his brothers about his obvious staring and his habit of biting and his lips whenever she’s within his peripheral vision, he just can’t. Really can’t.

Believe him, he’s trying his best but asked anyone who thinks that they found the right one if they can stop their heart from liking that person?

Certainly not him.

Not when she looks like a goddess who came on earth to grace them, mere humans, with her ethereal beauty and talent. Not when he got a glimpse of her real self that one time just to comfort a stranger like him.

It only made him like her more.

“Wow. They really look good toge--”

Taehyung forced a laugh at the grunting Jimin as he tried to pry their maknae’s strong arms from his neck. Jimin looks at him apologetically when he realized what he just said and Taehyung responded with a nod and a smile. It’s not Jimin’s fault because even he admits that the two of emcees look good together. The media and fans have been noticing their chemistry too. The public said that it’s like “We Got Married” segment.

The guy, actor Park Bogum, had this manly yet boyish charm. He’s handsome and tall too. From their many encounters, Taehyung can already tell that he’s a genuine and stable guy with the way he carries his weight. He always had a smile reserve for everyone on the KBS building no matter who they are. Compared to Taehyung who once thought that he’s handsome because his family and close friends kept on telling him so, only to got his confidence shut down the minute they debuted because he saw a lot of male celebrities who are much more good-looking than he is, one can clearly tell that Park Bogum is way above him.

He’s the perfect partner for the equally perfect Bae Irene.

With that, Taehyung always reminds himself to be satisfied with their accidental encounter. At least now Irene knows his name and smiles at him whenever they see each other. At some point maybe he can have a repeat of their small moment. Without the tears, of course. Even if he doesn’t have a chance with her being friends is okay too, right?

He forced a smile as he listens to the two emcees on the screen, ignoring the sting on his chest. If he repeats it like a mantra, maybe someday he might finally convince himself that being friends is okay.

 

 

150703 - KBS Music Bank last stage (DOPE Era / MC Irene)

Taehyung stood straight after bowing to the people inside the crowded room, biting his lower lip as he tried to listen to his leader hyung initiating a talk with Park Bogum and not at the person sitting on the chair just a few feet away from where he stood. Her stylist was adorning her beautifully curled golden hair with colorful rubber things. He doesn’t know the right term for it, either way, it looked good on her. But who was he kidding? Everything Bae Irene wear is pretty. Taehyung can stare at her all day and not be bored or tired.

After a few second though he squinted, forcing the corner of his lips to stay put as he saw her fidget in her seat. Once in a while, she would bite her lower lip or play with her fingers and the blanket that was draped on her legs. It was too cute. He wondered what was bothering her.

The topic had already taken a turn on their upcoming tour but he was too focused on her that he wasn’t able to catch, much less answer, Park Bogum’s question when the guy turned to him. He was so damn distracted that he got startled by the actor’s exclamation when Namjoon hyung told him that this week would be their last promotion for “Dope”. It was loud enough that Irene might have been surprised because she turned around so fast to look at their direction. His heart clenched when their eyes met before her stylist, who also looked at his direction to Taehyung’s surprise, laughingly scolded her, saying that she’s about done with Irene’s hair and directed her pretty head at the mirror.

“So where are you guys touring?” Bogum launched a smile as he continued to ask.

“Australia then we’ll go to the USA…” His leader hyung said.

“Wow! Congratulations guys,” Bogum said, clapping his hands.

“It’s not a big deal. We only have a small venue each stop,” Namjoon said, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

“Still…”

Taehyung’s sense of hearing turned off the conversation again when Irene got up from her seat and bowed down to them as she approaches. He gulped and his lips, turning shy when she slightly smiling at him.

“When are you coming back then, sunbaenims?” The blonde asked as soon as she situated herself next to her co-host.

His eyes widened. Bangtan members, including Park Bogum, turned to look at her out of surprise. This was the first time that the reserved goddess actively joined in on their conversation. Usually, she would just stand at Bogum’s side and utter a few words if necessary. They were so surprised that even Namjoon hyung who was so eloquent and always had the right answer to almost every question was silent for a few seconds before he coughed and composed himself.

“August or September? We’ll have a fan meeting in Japan too...”

“Oh,” He might have been just imagining it because her eyes darted to him with a small furrow on her brows before it was gone, “Congratulations and please take care, sunbaenims,” she said as she bows, smiling beautifully at them that Taehyung wanted to hide her.

He wanted to only be the one to see that smile.

 

 

July-September 2015 BTS Live Trilogy II: RED BULLET

“Ah, should have known…”

Taehyung reluctantly looked up from the music video he’s been repeating for a while now to glance at his best friend, Jimin, transferring on his bed. The guy draped his arms and legs on his body as soon as Taehyung was within reach and looked at his phone.

“Dude, are you not tired of watching the same clip?” He said that but he was the one who pressed the play button.

They didn’t talk after and watched the video as it shifted from scene to scene. A dance shot on a gas station, scenes from a diner and driving on the deserted road. Taehyung remembered from an interview of her team that she can’t drive. She still looked good behind the wheel though and, as usual, he can’t take his eyes off her. If not for Jimin, he could have skipped and gone straight to all her scenes. When the video ended Jimin snatched his phone, telling him that they still have a concert later so they should sleep. He pouted and rearranged himself on the single bed with Jimin beside him, closing his eyes as he tried to sleep.

People say counting sheep might help you fall asleep but instead, it’s her who appeared in his mind, so he ended up counting the number of days that he hadn’t seen her pretty face.

He sighed, turning to his side.

He misses her.

 

 

151009 - One K Concert ‘One Dream One Korea’ in Sangam World Cup Stadium (BTS / RV / EXO)

“Why can’t you just go and talk to her?” Baekhyun hyung’s voice which was one or two decibels from his normal tone made Taehyung cover his mouth for his fear of being overheard by the numerous people passing them.

His beagle-like hyung removed his hands and dubiously looked at him, “This is the first time I’m seeing you hesitate. Where’s the V who animatedly talk a lot to whoever he comes across with, may it be on hallways or bathrooms?”

He looked down and shrugged. V is still here but it’s Taehyung who’s dealing with Irene which was totally different. It had already been quite some time now that they’re acquainted and yet he hadn’t had a single conversation with her where he can utter more than three words without choking. Truthfully, his social butterfly status wasn’t failing him. He’s just too afraid to start a chat with her because he might enjoy it too much and he’ll ask for more. Because in his heart he knows that he wanted so much more than a few moments, a few talks with her.

“Oh!,” Baekhyun exclaimed, “Yah, Seungwan-ah come here.” Taehyung’s eyes widened when he heard the name.

Son Seungwan aka Red Velvet’s Wendy. Irene’s team member which means she’s here too. Taehyung tried to control his eyes and nervousness as Wendy approached them with a smile. She bowed, hand reaching out for a handshake and he carefully took it, bowing back like a junior when it's the other way around.

His eyes were already straining until he can’t control himself anymore and took advantage of his height, glancing behind Wendy to just take a quick peek at the person whom he really wanted to see only to get startled because she was already looking at him. Her eyes lingered on his before it shifted down, brow slightly tilted. It made him curious so he followed her line of vision. He jumped away as if he got burned when he realized that he was still holding Wendy’s hand. Baekhyun released a snort but he was too embarrassed to glare at him.

“Go ahead, girls. I’ll talk to them for a bit.” Wendy said, gesturing to him and Baekhyun.

Irene stared at him with unreadable eyes for a few seconds that it rendered him immobile before she nodded to Wendy, bowed to them and left without even bothering to look back. Her cold attitude made him confused and agitated. She would usually smile at him whenever they saw each other. Was he gone for too long that they’re back to square one again?

“Is that not good enough for you?” Baekhyun said with a teasing tilt in his voice.

Good enough? What? He looked at his hyung, too preoccupied with the brunette’s cold action to even decipher what he meant by that.

“Oh wow. This is why you guys are not moving forward. We have another slow one.” Taehyung shifted to their female companion who had wide open as she looked at him then look at Baekhyun. Wendy sighed and put her hand forward as if asking for something. He looked at her, confused.

“Your phone. Give it to me,” she said with an impatient tone. Taehyung scrambled to reach for his phone. Girls are scary when they’re annoyed. She typed for a while before handing it back to him.

“Uhmm…” he looked at his phone like it’s a foreign object.

“Text her, call her... You looked like a kid who got his candy snatched when she gave you her signature cold shoulder.” Taehyung was about to retaliate but her final words made his jaw dropped, “You’re too whipped.”

Baekhyun burst into laughter. And with that Red Velvet’s Wendy left them muttering something about them being too clueless.

Who’s even “them”?

Resting his thumb to open his phone, he got startled by the many red hearts on the screen but the note field on the unsaved contact information got his whole attention. His heart made a random flip as he reads it.

Bae Joohyun. You owe me.

He pressed “Save”.

 

 

“Hello?”

Taehyung felt goosebumps rising on his skin when he heard the soft melodious voice. It was too unbelievable that he’s hearing her voice next to his ear.

“Hello?”

Gods, he wanted to jump or do something crazy because of his excitement.

“If you’re not going to answer I’m--”

“Don’t!” Wow. His voice sounded so desperate. Nice. Can he kill himself now?

There was silence over the phone. Taehyung looked at his phone, having thought that she might’ve dropped the call but then she spoke after a few seconds.

“V?”

He gulped. The tilt in her voice when she pronounced his stage name sounded so good. What more if it’s his real name, he wondered.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter