Stuck On U

This Frustrating Thing Called Imagination
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You’ll get your daily dose of heavy traffic when you’re in a busy city like Seoul. Lines of honking cars and people rushing to and fro the sidewalk was a common occurrence which is why longtime residents of the city are used to it already. The guy sitting on the passenger seat was supposed to feel invulnerable to irritation too. After all, he’s been living in Seoul for most of his late teen years. His management also makes sure that they arrive before the arranged time on their jump-packed schedule. Cars usually dispersed when all morning shift employees had gone to their homes. But tonight of all nights, the road was filled with cars making the already agitated guy fidget more on his seat, eyes glancing every now and then on the digital clock displayed on the in-dash screen of his manager’s car.

Pit pat. Pit pat.

The continuous drumming of his heart sounds too loud in his ears. A loud beat enough to resonate on the pulse his neck and trembling veiny hands resulting in the shortness of his breath and dryness of his throat. He knows that this wasn’t an official schedule much less anything that had to do with his job. Regardless, it is equally important to him too. His state of mind especially his heart rests on this once-in-a-blue-moon meeting.

Pit pat. Pit pat.

“Hyung, are we still far? Will we get there on time?” he asked, moving forward so he can have a look at his manager sitting behind the wheel.

“You’ve been asking for the nth time already. And I’ve been telling you we’ll get there. Calm down, will you?” His manager was looking at him through the rearview mirror with funny eyes. Ignoring it, he pouted, leaning back on his seat as he eyed the plastic container of tteokbokki that they bought. It would be such a waste if it went stale before he even arrives at his destination.

“Taehyung-ah.” He looks at his hyung questioningly, “we’ll get there, okay? Just message her so she won’t worry. It’s not your fault that there’s a road repair. ”

Taehyung nodded, sighing as he turns to look out at the line of cars beside them. Maybe his hyung was right and it was just his nerves acting up. When she agreed earlier that they can meet, excitement filled him which later turned to agitation because this will be the first time in a while that they’ll get to see each other. And what they’re doing is extremely risky for their careers.

Emotional rollercoaster -- that’s his chosen words for these past few months after her green light to his confession. The progress of their relationship was going smoothly. Albeit slow, both agreed to not dive in quickly and explore their compatibility to see if they can handle it when mixed with their work. Honestly, despite the test-drive and disadvantages dating can bring to idols like them, he felt like floating on cloud nine these days. It was like an out-of-the-body experience how she messages and calls first just to ask him trivial things and get mad when he’s not taking care of his health or not calling her by her real name. Their shy conversations back when they’re dancing around each other turns to outright flirting first thing in the morning now.

“You really don’t drink coffee?” She asked one time over the phone, voice a bit husky since she just woke up, while he was putting jelly on his bread. He confirmed it, saying that he doesn’t like the bitter taste to which she responded, making his jaw dropped, “Oh, I thought that you just said it because you wanted to have something in common with me. Isn’t that what one would usually say if one likes a person too much?”

Who would have thought that Bae Joohyun, timid and cold to others would say something so egoistic like that? How about that one time when they compete over their love for different colors?

“Why say your fave color is green when you don’t even use it? I haven’t seen you wearing anything green…”

“Wearing all green doesn’t really look pleasant in the eyes if it’s not the right shade. And liking it doesn’t mean I should buy stuff and parade myself in green… Unlike someone…” Then the thought suddenly crop out of his giddy brain, “Wait, so you monitor my photos now, noona?” She quickly shot him down with a “No, I don’t”. Taehyung bet that she was blushing despite her insistent reply of “no way” after that.

Thanks to her, Taehyung was always full of smiles. An idiot hyung in love, that was what Jungkook calls him now since the guy always scoffed at him for dying during Overwatch when she suddenly messages or call. Every waking day had been fun and refreshing that even his nightmares are getting dull because of the feeling of excitement for their next conversation the moment he woke up.

But the momentum got cut-off momentarily when the company summoned them for a follow-up meeting. Reality slammed him in the face as he stared at the full calendar given to them while their manager summarized their schedule after Fire promotions. He can’t help but think about those idol couples who drifted apart due to their busy schedule. Especially since they’re still on the testing period of their relationship. What if she finds someone else while they're away from each other?

Luckily, she’s someone who was mature enough for the both of them. He was thankful and overwhelmed when she went straight to the point, suggesting what they should do given their situation. It made him more determined to be with her, “Worrying over something we can’t do a thing about is fruitless. As long as we call and update each other just like before I think that we can make it work. Both of us don’t really like long distance relationship before right? So this would be a good opportunity to try it. Though it’ll be a long shot because of our jobs I still want to try us.”

“Also... When I said I like you, I’ll only like you. Only,” she said smiling as she emphasized the last word, “That’s what you’re really worried about, right?”

His inside churns as he relived how soft Joohyun gazed at him as they talk that day inside Bogum hyung’s company car with only the ceiling light of the secluded underground parking lot of KBS Music Bank illuminating her beautiful face. Their short meeting was totally worth his forgotten meal.

The car moved, halting as if only a couple of seconds as the traffic light turned red again but he was too lost in his own thoughts to complain. Suddenly recalling how his so-called idiotic confidence earned him their first tight hug when they got to meet as soon as his plane landed from Taiwan.

“What?” she asked, hand frozen from opening the can of Coke he bought at a nearby convenience store. Her perfect face was scrunched, eyes blinking and mouth open as she stared at him from her seat inside his manager’s personal car. Taehyung didn’t even try to stop his incoming smile at her cute confused expression.

“A hug. I want one since I’m not gonna see you again after this,” he said, unblinkingly, idiotic confidence streaming in his vein. If he doesn’t say it, he’ll know he’ll regret it. “Please?”

Joohyun bit her lips and stared at him long enough to weaken his resolve. He sighed, thinking that he might be asking too much when she suddenly yanked him by his shirt. The shock rendered him speechless. It was nothing compare to how his brain malfunction when her hands slowly inches its way to his back.

“What? You said you wanted a hug,” she said with a shaking voice and red face, not looking at him the moment she ended the hug. It was his turn to stare.

Too soon. Her hug ended too soon.

“Stop staring--” Her protest got lost in the wind the moment Taehyung pulled her close by her flailing hand, settling it on his shoulder as he brought her closer to him.

Her warmth brought him comfort and at the same time, it made him completely dizzy. Being close to her made his brain ultimately shut off and all he could think about was the smell of her clean scent with the hint of lavender on her unstyled hair. She smelled so great that Taehyung unintentionally said it out loud. When his brain caught up with what he said, he realized that she was frozen within his arms. He immediately pulled away to say sorry only to got awestruck when he saw her face.

It was the first time he really saw her face up close. Not just a moment but really looking at it. Even the light from the lamp post outside, dimmed because of the heavily tinted window can’t hide her unblemished face. The shadow gave him the front view of the outline of her cute nose and the curve of her jaw. Her sparkling eyes got lost in his vision whenever her long eyelashes move as she blinks back at him. The dust of red on her face added to her already red kissable lips. Seriously, he can only blame himself for what he said after.

“Noona, you’re really really beautiful…” He said as if what he just blurted out earlier wasn’t embarrassing enough to last him a lifetime. That blushing face e shade deeper and gave him enough confidence to .

“Oh. Miss Bae likes it if someone said she’s beautiful, huh?” he said when he peeled her palm off of his mouth after reprimanding him from “saying cheesy lines again”. She glared at him which only made him smile wider. He liked how she’s shy with him. It made him feel special knowing that he can only see her like this. That very thought sobered him and the grip on her hand turned firmer, the teasing atmosphere was suddenly gone.

“Noona,” he called, wanting her to focus on what he’s about to say, “don’t look like this if someone else complimented you, okay? Only look like this when I’m the one saying it to you,” he said with all the seriousness he had in his bones. If her wide eyes and blushing face wasn’t enough to assure him then her words did as she turned away grumbling, “I don’t even know why I’m like this when I’m used to hearing compliments…”

New information like those makes him more curious about her. As easy as communicating comes for someone like Taehyung, he can’t just outright ask Bae Joohyun what she’s like, what makes her tick. Real life situations, especially to idols like them, doesn’t work that way. As compensation to his hunger of all things Bae Joohyun back in the early days he turns to the closest thing or in this case people close to her.

From EXO’s Byun Baekhyun to her own member Seungwan noona. His connections really worked well for him. Of course, there comes a price one way or another like with what happened to his friend, f(x) Amber. Taehyung still internally winced as he remembers how she tested his devotion when she suddenly invited him for small talk inside their emcee waiting room last KCON.

Somehow the short-haired woman was dead serious as she listened to Taehyung’s reply of “thinking” that they were okay in his books when she asked him about their current status. He guessed that as a friend, Amber was just worried for Joohyun. Taehyung would be too if he’s in Amber’s shoes.

“Amber noona, I may be just a kid in your eyes but I like Joohyun noona very much. This isn’t a game for me. I like her a lot. And I absolutely take care of those that I like so you don’t have to worry. Her well-being is my priority too. Please say that to her if ever she’s doubting about what I feel for her,” he said with determined eyes as he looks back at Amber.

“I give up,” she said. Arms raised in surrender and voice abnormally loud that made Taehyung frown until he saw her lifting the phone on the coffee table and ing it towards him. At first, he backed off from the brightness of the phone but his eyes doubled when he recognized the familiar face on the screen.

“Noona?”

“Hi,” she said, waving sluggishly on the screen as she bit her lips, an obvious blush on her beautiful face.

Apparently, Amber was “testing” him even though Joohyun already told her a couple of times that there’s no need to. Taehyung was so ready to retaliate at Amber, his temper was bordering past his limit if not for the cute way Joohyun was waving for him to read the message he just received from her. Frowning, he swiped his message and forgot to stop his jester smile the moment he read the message.

Don’t be mad, please

I’m already convinced with what you just said way, way before this

So don’t get mad

Oh…

And I like you too

Btw

A lot

Just so you know too ;)

“Yah, why are you smiling to yourself?” Taehyung jerked back to the present at his manager hyung’s voice, righting his position on the leather seat of their company car as he ignored the imploring look of his hyung, “did you message her?”

Taehyung shook his head, taking a peek at the line of cars before them. He sighed, grabbing his phone to type in a message. His phone vibrated shortly after he pressed send.

It’s okay :)

Be careful on your way here, please :D

Don’t rush too much...

See you :D

Bae Joohyun, really. He eyed his hyung, checking if he caught his “idiot” joker-like smile again, biting his thumb to hide it as he looked outside at the huge LED screen plastered on a random building.

He can’t wait to see her.

 

 

“How do I look?” Taehyung said, inspecting himself on the spare mirror tucked at the back pocket of the front seat. When his doctor reminded him to replace his subscription glasses because his vision changed it was a good excuse to buy new frames. He bought a lot of spares just in case. The round rim eyeglasses he’s wearing right now was among them. There was no special reason. Really.

So why was he avoiding her gaze again?

Oh right.

They talked a lot about their respective roles in the drama they’re starring. After her emcee stint, to which she whined and cried a lot to him while he was in New York, they cast her for a webtoon adaptation. She plays the role of someone wearing round rim eyeglass so when he saw something similar he impulsively bought it. He really didn’t intend on whipping the glasses out, even though he thinks that she had already seen him wearing it given that fan pictures are being posted daily.

But what can he do, really?

Bae Irene never fails to make him all tongue-tied by being as perfect as she is even in a gray hoodie and skinny jeans. They met at the parking lot of his manager hyung’s place because it’s closer to her -- when really it’s not that far from his dorm too, and there are less prying eyes. As soon as she transferred from her stylist’s car, his tongue hadn’t been functioning properly.

He thought he was being a gentleman by trading seats because she wanted his spot. But having to suffer brain failure because their face got too close when they moved at the same time -- just a few centimeters apart and their nose will bump was his problem. Another problem was the urge to kiss her got too strong. He’d been dreaming of it for quite some time already and being close to her like that got him riled up.

Good thing her poker face kept him in check as she settles down on her new seat. His attempt at calming himself was fruitless, though, because for the past few minutes he keeps on spouting nonsense. It was a miracle that she’s still listening.

“What? It doesn’t look good?” he said, taking a glance at her but chickening out the moment their eyes met. She had her chin resting on her open palm, gazing at him with amusement and he dares say fondness? It made him squirm, brain ready to launch another bout of nonsense when she beat him to it.

“You look handsome, don’t worry,” she replied making him swivel so fast to look at her again. The compliment caught him off guard. Shyness overcomes his senses and he can literally feel the heat that started from his chest spreading to his face as he said a swift thanks, avoiding her sparkling eyes. His shaking ones landed on the forgotten plastic container on top of the car’s compartment. Closing his eyes at his stupidity, he sighed as he grabbed the container and handed it to her. She stared at it, eyes questioning.

“The food might not taste good now since it’s been a while since I bought it.” He reached for the other items he bought while she opens the food container -- the spicy smell already permeating the air as he hands her a disposable chopstick.

“Tteokbokki?” she asked, surprise and confusion mixed in her voice.

He shrugs as he rummaged for the disposable cups, “You were whining a lot that it’s been a while since you ate it so I bought some,” Getting a cupful of the snack, he handed it to her, “It’s from your favorite tteokbokki place -- you know, the one you told me last time.”

Taehyung confusedly looks at her frozen state when she didn’t reach out for the food and just stared at him. “Noona?” he asked, head tilting to look at her, ing the cup of tteokbokki again.

“You don’t want it?” he sheepishly asked after not getting a reaction from her. He was aiming for a good score for this date but looks like he kept on missing the target. She blinked once before hastily grabbing the cup, fishing out a couple and popping it in without looking him in the eyes.

“Are you sure?” He peered at her. Is that a blush on her face? Was it too hot? “It’s okay if you don’t want to eat it, noona.”

“No, it’s…” she paused biting her lower lip, “I want it.”

He chuckled, relief that she didn’t reject the food and the fact that she’s cute being shy with him all of a sudden, “Okay then.”

“I can’t believe you remember something like this, much less the place where I usually bought it.” Her soft voice reached his ears after some time of silence.

“Well, I remember,” he said confidently. He doesn’t want to boast but every little detail of s’ habits up to their old choreography -- he can still vividly recall all of it. Of course, his memory is kind of selective too. For example, Hoseok hyung keeps on reminding him about taking extra care of his sacred ultra clean bed that somehow Taehyung’s brain seems to forget every time he invades his hyung’s space.

Joohyun doesn’t have to worry though. He’s dedicating a large part of his brain in remembering the tiniest details that she had and would say in the future, “As much as possible, I like to remember everything about you, noona.”

She suddenly coughed, face turning red really fast as she tried to stop herself from coughing further. He panicked, hands almost reaching for her back when he remembers his manners. Turning his hands instead to grab the canned Coke, opened it for her and watched her take large visible gulps of the carbonated drink.

“You okay?” he looks at her worriedly, handing her tissue “was it too spicy? I tried to order the same one that you said you wanted.”

She nods her response as she drinks some more. Taehyung looks disdainfully at the container. He just wanted to have a good night with her. Why does he keep on messing up?

“It’s okay. It just got stuck on my throat. No need to glare at the tteokbokki,” she said in between coughs, fanning herself until she calms down.

He sheepishly looks at her then, scratching the back of his neck in embarrassment. “I just want you to have a good time even for a little before your comeback, noona. I heard that eating food that you like will help relieve one’s stress. I’m sorry, I’m still not good at--”

That was all Taehyung had said before he felt something wet on his cheek, making him froze for a couple of seconds. His eyes doubled, finally realizing what had just transpired. With trembling hand, he slowly reached for that slight wet patch of skin on his cheek highlighted by the chilling breeze of the car’s air conditioner. He glanced at her and back to his now blessed hand. A feeling of something erupting burst in his abdomen going to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter