Chapter 2: The Foreword/Description

The (Not so) Perfect Story

 

The forword and description. 

 

fore·word/ˈfôrˌwərd/

 
Noun:
A short introduction to a book, typically by a person other than the author.

 

de·scrip·tion/diˈskripSHən/

 
Noun:
  1. A spoken or written representation or account of a person, object, or event: "people who had seen him were able to give a description".
  2. The action of giving such a representation or account.

 

People sometimes mix these two up, writing about the character in the foreword and not in the description. The description is where you should talk about your characters.* I don't know if any of you guys notice this, but the foreword appears under your story title when you update. It's there to lure the readers. 

 

What not to do:

1. Don't write something in the foreword or description saying something like "This is my first story! Please help me if something is wrong. I hope you like it!" No! I'm sure no one wants to really see that. It's alright to tell the readers that it's your first story, but don't ask them for help. You don't see real authors saying "Please give me feedback if something is wrong!" They're reading your story- not their own. No body really want's to know it's your first story, sorry to say.

 

 

*2. Many authors on AFF do this. I'm not saying it's very bad or anything... I just think it's unprofessional. They go to the forward and write the everything about the character. Everything. They write about the characters personality and how they got into the mess. Uhm. Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that's what the story is for. If you write too much about the characters you can basically give away the whole story. Make them wonder so they can read more!

 

 

3. Don't explain to the readers you have like 10 more stories. Nobody really wants to know. It makes the reader think, "Oh. Author has so many other stories to update... I don't know if she'll have time to update this one."

 

 

Remember:

The foreward and description are important. Don't write uninteresting things there or don't explain the whole story.