--5

To protect you

Hyuk laughed as he took another sip of his drink. Jaehwan had managed to convinced Hyuk’s manager to let Hyuk go have dinner with him, to which Hyuk was grateful, he hasn't have a decent dinner in days! How did Ken managed to get the grumpy man to allow the cheerful boy to go eat with him was still a mystery for Hyuk, maybe it was because Ken asked him to let Hyuk go in front of a huge crowd and it was sure going to create rumors if he said no.

 

Now they both were at some kimchi restaurant eating and drinking in between laughs and bad jokes. Hyuk was childishly playing along with the older as they loudly disrupted the restaurant’s peace but no one really complained, actually the waiters and waitresses of the place were laughing and joking along with the two noisy clients.

 

“You are really good” Jaehwan said. "I mean, in comedy". The whole day it has been like this, people telling Hyuk how good he was, how he had surpassed the expectatives. Hyuk was happy, he felt proud. “If your company was better known you'll have so many contracts” Jaehwan murmured.

 

Hyuk knew that was true, and he hated it, why does his company's reputation had to be what set Hyuk’s value?. People shouldn't even care if he was from X or Y company, people should just care he was talented, funny and, of course, good looking.

 

“Why don't you change company?” Jaehwan asked tilting his head once again. “FT would take you in happily” He added. This was the third time Jaehwan asked but Jaehwan asked in more discreet ways before, and Hyuk knew why Jaehwan wanted him to change company, Jaehwan wasn't befriending Hyuk to get him to change company, Jaehwan wanted Hyuk to change company because he had befriended him. Hyuk knew this.

 

Jaehwan wanted the other one to succeed and the soloist made sure to let Hyuk knew this, repeating over and over again how his company should promote him more, how his company should try to look for more opportunities for him, and Hyuk wasn't angry at this. He knew Jaehwan was right. Hyuk shook his head. “I can't”

 

Jaehwan just pouted, Hyuk still wasn't telling Jaehwan what was keeping him from changing company, was it a slavery contract? Maybe his company was threatening him?

 

“Don't worry” Hyuk said as he saw Jaehwan’s expression. He took a piece of chicken before taking it towards Jaehwan’s lips. The older one grumpily opened his mouth letting Hyuk placed the food in between his lips. Both of them laughed cutely at the action.

 

Inside of FT entertainment, Wonshik was listening to Leo as the older one sang his parts. “Okay, let's record the high note now” Wonshik said as he stopped the sound with the button. Taekwoon nodded.

 

Taekwoon put on the headphones again as he listened carefully, singing the verse before reaching the . Taekwoon got confused, the melody kept changing and he could hear Ravi's rap part as he did the high note.

 

Once he noticed he mistake he closed his eyes and groaned. That was annoying, mistaking while trying to record was annoying. It was late and Ravi was already pretty tired, it was easy to notice it, but they were still trap in the studio because of Taekwoon.

 

Wonshik listened carefully as the older one did the first octave, the second one perfectly and the third one without further problems...then he did a fourth octave. Wonsik was shocked at how clearly the fourth octave was, he was amazed.

 

Wonshik stopped the music when Taekwoon groaned. “Sorry, I got confused.” He said explained in his so soft voice.

 

Wonsik liked Taekwoon's voice, he had to admit it. He liked how the other's voice contrasted so well with his looks, his voice was soft almost like a lullaby, perfect for slow songs and serenades but Taekwoon's voice was so full of emotions when he was singing, unlike his face.

 

Wonshik shook his head at the apology. “That was perfect.” He said. He actually did considered in adding a four-octaves instead of three, he liked the idea of a high voice contrasting with his deep voice, but he didn't know if the older could do it.

 

“Let's leave it like that, that was good.” Wonshik said nodding and reassuring the older once he noticed Taekwoon worried expression. Taekwoon just absent-minded nodded, biting his lips as he looked over at paper in front of him with the lyrics.

 

Wonshik looked at his phone. They've been working for quite a while now. “Want to go to eat?” He said. He was starting to get hungry and he guessed the older was too.

 

Taekwoon tho, shook his head in negation. Taekwoon walked out of the recording booth. “If you want to, go to eat, I'll be practicing” He said in his so quiet and soft voice, it was the longest sentence he had heard the older speak.

 

Wonshik looked at the older before nodding and standing up. He stopped at the door and looked back, studying Leo’s body as the other guy sat down on the couch. He remembered Hakyeon’s words last time they saw Leo, he also remembered with how much hate the CEO has called after Leo the other day. “Aren't you too skinny tho?” He pointed out.

 

Leo was too skinny, he was also too pale, his eyes looked lifeless, and in the 5 hours they've been working together he hasn't see him smile, not even once. “Being that skinny makes you look sick, people won't like you like that.” He said.

 

He saw the older one flinch. Maybe his words were too harsh? He didn't mean it in a bad way...he meant people would get worried if they thought he was skipping meals...maybe he didn't choose the right words, he wanted to express he was worried, he didn't mean to criticize him.

 

He still didn't apologize. Leo didn't move and Wonshik just walked out of the studio and towards the café on the main floor, maybe he should just buy something for Leo and bring it up to the studio? Or maybe not? He didn't really know what Leo would like to eat.

 

Skipping meals, avoiding certain foods and ignoring the throbbing pain on their stomach has become a characteristic of MUSE artist.

 

Actually, Hongbin developed another characteristic thanks to this, a characteristic where any kind of food or beverage would make him feel sick. Even water would make him throw up sometimes. It was the feeling of something going down his throat, it was how the unfamiliar food fell into his stomach like a grenade.

 

Hakyeon patted the other’s back as Hongbin threw up inside of a stall of the bathroom of the hotel where they were filming at. Hakyeon was kneeling next to the younger one, rubbing his back and whispering sentences like It's fine and don't worry. The sentences seemed to be more for himself rather than for Hongbin.

 

How did Hakyeon ended up in the bathroom stall with Hongbin?

 

Hakyeon was practicing his lines with another actor when he spotted Hongbin running passed them and into the bathroom, out of curiosity he followed suit to find him throwing up into the toilet of the bathroom.

 

Hongbin finally pulled away from the toilet, hot tears streaming down his cheeks thanks to the humiliation of Hakyeon finding him in such a state and to the burning feeling that throwing up has left on his throat and stomach.

 

Hakyeon flushed the toilet before standing up, hurriedly taking a few paper towels and wetting them on the sinks before going back to where Hongbin was, still sitting on the floor, his body drained out of any kind of energy.

 

Hakyeon sat in front of him again before using the towels to clean the other’s mouth. Hongbin took the papers on his hand. “Sorry” He whispered. Hakyeon shook his head, his eyes showed hints of concern that soon turned into anxiety once Hongbin felt something wet going down his nose.

 

“You are bleeding!” Hakyeon exclaimed as he stood up again taking a few more towels to help Hongbin with his nosebleed.

 

Hongbin again took the papers from Hakyeon before slowly standing up and walking towards the mirrors, Hakyeon followed behind him. “Are you sick? I told you, you need more rest, please go back to your house and rest you are not in conditions to do anything-” Hakyeon started to ramble and Hongbin just ignored him as he finished to clean his face and walk out of the bathroom.

 

“Hey!” He heard but ignored it.

 

Hakyeon frowned and stomped his foot. Hongbin was so rude and stubborn. He remembered Hakyeon to a moody, rebellious teenager. He made Hakyeon remembered that age when guys will think that they are the kings of the world, ignoring everyone around them and sometimes even ignoring their own health and needs in order to follow the trends.

 

Hakyeon was too noisy. So annoying. He had a point tho, Hongbin did wanted to go home, just lay down on the couch with Hyuk and his hyung, watching a movie on Hyuk’s laptop before the three of them fell asleep on the couch. But he needed to make money. It's been a while since the last time he was useful for the company.

 

When Wonshik walked into the studio again, Taekwoon was asleep. Wonshik rolled his eyes as he walked towards Taekwoon shaking him harshly. “The only thing you do is sleep.” Wonshik complained once he got Taekwoon to wake up.

 

The older one looked down ashamed but quickly shake it off and he stood up from the couch to keep working.

 

They still needed to record a few parts, but Taekwoon seemed exhausted. “Why don't you go home already, tomorrow we still need to meet again to work, so, go home and rest” Wonshik said.

 

Wonshik had a point, they needed to meet again tomorrow, so they could as well finish recording tomorrow.

 

Taekwoon said bye to Wonshik as he left and Wonshik just waved bye to him. It was raining hard outside, and Taekwoon’s manager had to leave a few hours ago to work with another artist of the company.

 

That was another problem of the company, they didn't had enough staff for everyone, meaning that some managers had to work with two or three artists at the same time, some stylist did too. His manager worked with Taekwoon most of the time but with a new group about to debut he had to split his time between the 29 years old soloist and the rookie group where the older member was 25.

 

Taekwoon walked out of the company before calling Hyuk, the phone rang five times before the machine told him to leave a message. He let out a sigh before starting to walk back home. His dorm was at least half an hour away on foot, but the night was cold, maybe a little bit of fresh air and cold water hitting his skin would do him so good.

 

Hongbin bowed and waved bye to the staff members and the crew as he walked towards his car to leave back to the dorms, a bright smile with deep dimples on his face as he got into his car and closed the door before bringing his legs into his chest. His manager groaned.

 

"I heard you throw up." The man said. "Are you stupid?! Cha Hakyeon saw you! What if he thinks you are sick?! What if he tells the police or sues the company you worthless!" The man started to scream as he drove away.

 

Hongbin just buried his face into his arms letting the words of the man driving sink into his ears and heart. When Hongbin finally reached the dorms, it was still empty. The lights were off and no sound could be heard, he moved around the house checking the rooms and confirming it was empty. He decided to borrow Hyuk's laptop and sit on the living room to wait for the two others. It wasn't that late, maybe they could at the end watch that movie together.

 

Minutes later, Taekwoon arrived home drenched in rain and trembling with cold. Hongbin hurried the other to take a warm shower trying to prevent any fever, the older one was the weakest in that house, Taekwoon would get sick for the most stupid things.

 

Hongbin prepared some hot chocolate for himself and Taekwoon and after the other one had changed, he took a seat with Hongbin on the living room, waiting for Hyuk.

 

Hours later, Taekwoon had fallen asleep on Hongbin's lap on the living room.

 

Hours later Hongbin had fallen asleep on the couch and Hyuk was still nowhere to be seem.