chapter four.

Test Drive
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"So you must be Ahn Yujin." 

 

An unfamiliar face greets her the moment she reaches the office of the student council on time, just a few more minutes before three simply because Yujin wouldn't want Minjoo to come up with another ty excuse to get her to detention. The girl is just slightly shorter than Yujin is, hair dyed in a dirty blonde color and she seems friendly enough judging from the way that she was smiling at Yujin. The office was empty except for the two of them when Yujin walks in. Yujin decides to take a seat on one of the couches when the person - whom Yujin assumes is older than she is, asks her to. 

 

"Um, yes. Is Minjoo-sunbae here?" 

 

"Minjoo's not here yet," she shakes her head. "I'm Lee Chaeyeon, the treasurer for the council." 

 

"Oh, hello Chaeyeon-sunbaenim," Yujin bows her head slightly and Chaeyeon only grins at this. 

 

"No need to be so formal. I'm not as mean as Minjoo is." 

 

Yujin blinks for a few times as she tries to register what Chaeyeon was saying, in which she immediately ducks her head and mumbles her response. "I didn't say she was though..." 

 

"Please, I know what she's like," Chaeyeon laughs it off and proceeds on taking the empty couch in front of Yujin. For some reason, something warm is radiating from her laugh, and it somewhat soothes Yujin's nerves despite of having only met Chaeyeon moments ago. Lee Chaeyeon definitely belongs to the student council - someone with a nice and warm personality who looks like she might be popular among the student body-- which brings her to the question on why Kim Minjoo is even voted the vice president of the council. Kim Minjoo is mean, in some ways. 

 

"Does she always pick on students?" 

 

"Well, not really..." Chaeyeon's voice drifts away for a second, which goes unnoticed to Yujin before returning to her former cheerful tone. "Anyway, how is it so far? Being a transfer student at this time of the year must be tough. We don't usually get one around this time." 

 

"Ah. Yes," Yujin says, unknowingly pressing her lips together to form a thin line. "It's good so far. If you minus the part where I get into detention... twice. Including today."

 

"Please excuse Minjoo really. The girl can be quite a handful at times," Chaeyeon sighs into her palm as she rests her chin up on one, legs crossed over one another. "But all in all Minjoo is quite capable as a vice president. She almost became the president, as a matter of fact. But she didn't want to take up the position and instead gave it up to our current president."

 

"Well, good thing that she doesn't. Who knows what she might do to me if she is the president." 

 

Chaeyeon's lips tugs into another faint smile as she keeps her gaze on the younger girl. "You really hate her, don't you?" 

 

Yujin widens her eyes at the accusation and quickly tries to defend herself. "I-I... Don't," she pauses and fiddles with the hem of her uniform, this time shifting her gaze elsewhere. Her eyes randomly land on the desks arranged together at the side of the room, which she assumes to be the workspace for the student council committee, and a certain mug laying around on the surface of a cluttered table catches her attention. There was an image of a cartoonized frog printed on the mug, and it was cute she supposes. "She's just...infuriating. It's like, she knows that she's pretty and she's trying to use that fact, you know? And then she does thing as she pleases."

 

"Ah, so you think that she's pretty but annoying? From the sounds of it, you don't seem like you're jealous of her or anything." 

 

"Good gracious, I would never thought of being jealous of her," the corner of Yujin's lips turns into a frown momentarily. "If anything, it would be far from jealousy?" Yujin says hesitantly before continuing. "Like, I just want to stay away from her because she's pretty and something about her smells like trouble if I keep on being around her."

 

"You keep on saying 'I'm pretty, I'm pretty' but you keep on avoiding me," a familiar voice suddenly comes up behind her and Yujin could literally feel her heart drop upon recognizing the owner of the voice, the color on her face immediately drained away. Since when was Kim Minjoo even in the room? Yujin looks pleadingly at Chaeyeon for help - who on the other hand only raises her shoulders into a shrug and laughs at the whole situation, probably finding it amusing as it gets. Yujin curses repeatedly under breath, refusing to spare a look at Minjoo who had been tapping on her shoulder to get her attention. "Hey, don't act like I don't exist. Or should I continue acting like I'm not here and hear you two talk about me more behind my back? I don't mind." 

 

"Minjoo-ah, you're going to make her cry for real if you continue teasing her." 

 

"Okay then, I'll stop for a bit," Minjoo's lips forms a pout as she backs away from the couch in which Yujin is currently seated at, stretching her long arms out as she makes her way to her table and picks up her mug - the very same frog-printed mug that Yujin had laid her eyes on earlier. Yujin still refuses to look at Minjoo. "How long was I asleep for Chaeyeon-ah?" 

 

Chaeyeon lifts her phone to check the time. "About twenty minutes or so." 

 

"Well that was a good nap. And it's good to see you on time Ahn Yujin," Minjoo grins mockingly as she strides across the room to get to the small coffee machine at the other side of the room to fill her mug and Yujin couldn't help but to scoff at the latter remark, ignoring the fact that her ears are all red from the embarrassment of being caught - yet again, praising the older girl for being pretty. She's glad that her hair are there to cover her ears, at least. 

 

Yujin blurts out. "That frog on the mug looks like you." 

 

Minjoo blinks confusedly at this and takes a glance at the cartoon frog on her mug. "Are you calling the frog pretty? You have an odd ." 

 

"I-I do not! I'm calling it ugly! And where did you come from anyway?" 

 

"You're cute whenever you're trying to lie to yourself Ahn Yujin," a soft hum escapes from Minjoo as she refreshingly sips on her coffee. "There's a small bed behind the couch you're sitting, it's where us student council members catch a shut-eye for a bit when we need it." 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter