chapter sixteen.

Test Drive
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The days that follows were rather quiet as they returned to their routine. 

 

Attending their classes like usual, after-school studying at the library, Yujin dozing off while waiting for Minjoo to be done with her revision. Same old, same old. Yujin is starting to wonder on whether she should be the one to take the initiative of bringing up the conversation that they had long tried to avoid but she just couldn't find the right timing for it. 

 

Would it be awkward for her to bring it up out of nowhere?

 

But Minjoo did mention that she wanted to know more about her the other day at the balcony - although she had not mention it ever since then.

 

And she does want to know more about Minjoo too. She's not dumb enough to ignore the things that happened so far between them that caused Minjoo to react a certain way. 

 

Especially the night of the annual dinner...

 

Yujin grumbles out in frustration, leaning back against the wooden bench with her eyes closed.

 

She had time to spare before seeing Minjoo again at the library for their usual routine. Her art class that was scheduled for that afternoon was cancelled due to their teacher taking an emergency leave and that no other teachers were available to replace him, so Yujin decided to kill time near the school garden with her airpods plugged in.

 

The next song that comes on her playlist played as if it were on cue, just as her mind is occupied with the older girl. 

 

(#NowPlaying - Lauv - Lonely Eyes)

 

The universe has it's way of playing with her. 

 

Because the moment she flutters her eyes open, Minjoo was right there, standing right behind the bench.

 

Staring down at Yujin with a mischievous smile and it's really, really, unfair that Minjoo still gets to look gorgeous at this angle.

 

Yujin had her head craned back to hold Minjoo's gaze - whose hair falls like a curtain on the side of her face.

 

Minjoo's lips moved to tell her something but Yujin soon realizes that she couldn't hear what the latter was saying since she still has her airpods on.

 

"--here?" 

 

"Huh?" Yujin says out of confusion, taking both her airpods off and setting them aside. A scowl made its way to Minjoo's face before she clicks her tongue in feign annoyance. 

 

"I said, what are you doing here? You're not skipping classes are you?" Minjoo squints her eyes before finishing her words. "You should set a good example to the other kids since you're a member of the student council. I might snitch on you to Nako, she can get pretty scary."

 

"I'm not," Yujin scoffs. "My afternoon class got cancelled so I'm just here waiting to pass the time."

 

"Ah," Minjoo nods her head along to her, the cheeky grin returning to her face. "Fine then. Sorry for accusing you." 

 

"Apology accepted," Yujin clears , as means to stop herself from breaking out into a grin too because she's not supposed to look easy in front of Minjoo right after being accused of things-- but who was she kidding anyway, how was she suppose to not give in to whatever the older girl does?

 

"It's unfair on how pretty girls gets a pass in everything," Yujin accidentally voices out, heat spreading across her cheeks at her outblurt of her inner thoughts and tries to take it back but the damage had been done. Minjoo's eyes flickers at her in amusement, opening to say something back but Yujin cuts her off even before she gets to. Yujin knows what was about to come. "No, don't say anything. Just don't." 

 

"You didn't even hear me out yet."

 

"I just know what you're going to say," Yujin mumbles, shutting her eyes closed for the second time as if pretending that the flush on her face wasn't there. 

 

"Fine then, don't hear me out." 

 

Seconds later, Yujin could feel a weight shift down next to her on the wooden bench. It's enough to tell her that Minjoo is now seated next to her.

 

"Are you just going to ignore me?" Minjoo says once again.

 

"..Not really," Yujin peeks an eye at Minjoo, eliciting a small chuckle from the older girl.  

 

"Figured so." 

 

"...I don't like you." 

 

"Right," Minjoo replies with a dismissive tone. Her gaze drifts off momentarily when she gets distracted by a butterfly that landed on a nearby flower and Yujin takes this chance to gather her courage to settle the concern running on her mind. It's now or never.

 

"Hey," Yujin gets Minjoo's attention again. Okay, so maybe her so-called courage wasn't enough after all, for her to stumble over her own words. "Do you want to- uh-" 

 

"To what?"

 

Perhaps she didn't think this through after all. What Yujin managed to ultimately come up with was one that was rather ridiculous, even Yujin herself did not expect it. "Go somewhere this weekend?"

 

That's the best that she can come up with? 

 

Minjoo's interest piqued at this, so she tilts her head to look at Yujin curiously. "Where to?" 

 

"A...musement park?" Yujin sounded unsure of herself. 

 

"Huh," Minjoo presses her lips together for a split second. "Are you asking me out on a date?" 

 

Yujin was quick to answer. "...Wait, what? No!" 

 

"Then it's okay for me to bring other people?" 

 

"Not really," Yujin mutters under her breath. Because it's going to complicate things if other people are there.

 

"Then it's a date," Minjoo repeats her words with a laugh, causing Yujin to groan in defeat.

 

"Yes, fine. Call it whatever you want." 

 

Yujin is just going to take the date as an opportunity to tell her then but at the same time, a date with Minjoo is not an entirely... unpleasant thought. 

 

"Alright then."

 

 

It's finally Saturday and for once after a while, Yujin's nerves actually kicks in at the thought of meeting Minjoo.

 

She grows restless waiting for Minjoo in front of the amusement park as promised, peeking at the time on her phone every now and then after asking her driver to drop her off. Yujin doesn't even know why she's trying hard to dress up for the date that it took her almost an hour going through her closet and picking out her outfit for the day.

 

Yujin didn't even intended for this date to happen in the first place and yet, here she is - in one of her best outfit in a while. Plain red collared white tee tucked into a pair of washed up skinny jeans, topped with a brown long coat. A casual and yet, smart look. Sakura would've laugh at her face if she were to find out how much effort it took for Yujin to finalize her choice for the date. 

 

Or she might just laugh upon hearing that Yujin's going on a date. With Minjoo, out of all people.

 

Yujin stares off into a distance, too engrossed in her own thoughts to even notice the person approaching her from behind. 

 

"Boo." 

 

Her heart almost dropped at the surprise, though a frown soon crept on Yujin's face when she recognizes the owner of the voice. Her breath almost refused to leave her chest however, when she turns around at the sight of Minjoo looking gorgeous in her black crop top and her exposed tummy-- Good lord. "Do you have a thing for coming up to me from behind?"

 

"Hey, people might take it differently if you were to put it that way," the corner of Minjoo's lips itches to smile as she tips her chin to the direction of the passersby, what more at the way it took Yujin a while to understand the underlying meaning behind her words. The way Yujin widens her eyes was almost comical to watch. 

 

"Y-You.. I didn't mean it that way!" Yujin sputters and points her finger to Minjoo accusingly. "You're the weird one here!" 

 

"Sure," Minjoo laughs it off and casually tugs on Yujin's coat to get her to move along to the ticket booths, which Yujin did willingly without much protest. The crowd was surprisingly moderate for a weekend and Yujin supposes that it's a good thing for them. She couldn't even recall the last time she had ever visited one but what she did remember was the fact that it was her parents who took her to one, when she was still a kid.

 

If only things were as simple as it was back then.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter