chapter five.

Test Drive
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yujin wonders how on earth did she ends up being sandwiched in the middle, in one of the booths in McDonalds, right next to the window, with Sakura on her right and Minjoo seated on her left. Hyewon and Chaeyeon had chosen to take up the seats in front of them and Yujin really wonders if Sakura is that pretty for the two girls to look smitten and infatuated on their first meeting with the older girl.

 

Hyewon was more obvious with her fascination for Sakura, never casting her gaze off Sakura where as Chaeyeon on the other hand still has enough shame inside of her to look elsewhere every now and then when Sakura catches her ogling at her, even offering to pick up their tray of food when their order gets called up at the counter, alongside Minjoo who surprisingly volunteered on her own to help - instead of ordering Yujin to do it. 

 

"Yujinnie, do you want some fries?" Sakura blinks at her with a disgustingly sweet tone as she picks up a fry from her tray and Yujin wonders what's the motive behind the older girl to even be doing such things because really, she knows Sakura like the back of her hand. The older girl was as calculative as she can get. Yujin nevertheless plays along with her and decides to take the girl up on her offer, biting the end of the fry with her teeth and chewing on it carefully. 

 

To Yujin's surprise, Minjoo had been silent throughout the whole thing - seemingly minding her own business and eating her food silently at the side. 

 

"So, how's our Yujinnie? I hope she's not causing you guys much trouble." 

 

"You're speaking as if I'm some troublesome kid," Yujin interjects but Chaeyeon was quick to answer the older girl. 

 

"She's not that bad, she helped our vice-pres on her first day," a faint grin creeps up Chaeyeon's lips and Yujin immediately turns to look at Minjoo at this, who only responds with a shrug. She continues to take a bite of her cheeseburger. 

 

"She did," Minjoo replies this time, though the smile on her face was far from genuine. Something was up with Minjoo this time and Yujin is not as dumb as people perceives her to be. There were some sort of unspoken tension between Sakura and Minjoo, and being stuck in the middle of the whole thing is definitely making it difficult for Yujin to enjoy her chicken nuggets. 

 

"Ah yes, that. I think Yujin did told me about that," Sakura non-chalantly pops a fry into and smiles sweetly when she realizes that the girl with the big doe eyes - Hyewon, who had been staring at her since earlier was slowly sliding her portion of nuggets across the surface of the table and into Sakura's direction, silently offering her nuggets to her. "Ah thank you. I'll just have one." 

 

"She did?" 


There was a hint of surprise in Minjoo's voice this time, her eyebrows perking up in interest. 

 

"She did," Sakura says with a hum and nibbles on her piece of nugget. "Our Yujinnie has always been the type to help people. Even to the point where she's willing to hurt herself," Sakura pauses and locks her gaze with Minjoo. The look in Sakura's eyes tells Minjoo that Sakura was trying to tell her something and the way the sweetness that was formerly present in Sakura's eyes quickly seeps away and was replaced with a much colder look in one split second sends shivers down Minjoo's spine. "I do hope that she manages to make friends with good people this time." 

 

"Sakura-unnie. I think that's enough," Yujin quickly cuts in when she realizes the underlying tone behind Sakura's words and hurriedly shoves another piece of fry into the older girl's mouth to shut her up. "Eat your food before it gets cold." 

 

"...Did you just call me unnie?"

 

It took Sakura a few blinks to realize what Yujin had just called her with and Yujin somewhat regrets calling her 'unnie' just to stop the direction of where their conversation was going and sighs out loud. "Maybe. Now shut it, I just want to finish my food and return to school. Cruella de Vil here probably wants to go home already and return to her puppies and slaughter them one by one," Yujin mockingly tips her chin to Minjoo's side, causing Minjoo to scoff in response and continue eating her food. 

 

"Well, you look like a puppy too Ahn Yujin. Should I capture you and bring you home?" 

 

"Just so you can torture me? It makes no difference anyway, you're already torturing me in school." 

 

"So, you're just going to willingly admit that you're my puppy?"

 

Minjoo was bold enough to reach one hand out to cup Yujin's cheek and make Yujin look at her and Yujin-- our dear sweet Yujin, was of course taken aback by the sudden gesture, her cheeks never failing to betray her as they start to flush from Minjoo's words. It was a sly move, really. The audacity for Minjoo to in front of everyone, what more in Sakura's presence. She's never going to hear the end of this when Sakura returns home with her to her residence. 

 

"I did not say that!" 

 

"Well you do eat like a puppy. Such a mess," Minjoo says and releases Yujin's cheek from her touch, though not before quickly wiping Yujin's lips with her own thumb and it off. The rest of the girls wordlessly watches the whole scene unfolding before them and it was Hyewon who decided to speak up first out of the three. 

 

"That's unsanitary. You do know that?" 

 

"She's my puppy. I can do whatever I want." 

 

-

 

Yujin was right. The moment she returns home with Sakura, the latter ends up teasing her endlessly - even choosing to mimick the way Minjoo was holding her cheek and citing the very same lines Minjoo had said to her earlier in the day. She is now definitely one hundred percent determined not to fall to whatever trick or teasing Minjoo was pulling on her. It shouldn't be that hard for her to do so... maybe. 

 

And to her surprise, Yujin did not see much of Minjoo for roughly about two weeks or so - not that she is counting, but whatever. It makes her life easier anyway and Yujin is now close with a few girls in her class -  Jang Wonyoung, the tall girl who seems to be widely loved by everyone in the class for her bubbliness and the fact that she's cute, Jo Yuri - the music prodigy who is currently training to be an idol under a huge agency and Choi Yena - the girl that Yujin enjoys bullying for the fact that her reactions are fun to watch, and oddly Yena seems to go whereever Yuri goes to without fail. 

 

Classes ended as usual for Yujin and just as she was about to head down the staircase to go home, in which her driver was waiting for her at the school gate to pick her up, Yujin gets distracted with the sound of hard wood hitting the floor and a loud hiss coming from one of the now empty classrooms. Being the good person that she is, Yujin chooses to check up on the person - in case anything bad happens to him or her and Yujin instantly stops when she successfully takes a peek in between the gaps of the barely closed doors. 

 

Of course it had to be Kim Minjoo. 

 

And Yujin probably would've walked away, if it weren't for the blood that she sees trickling down Minjoo's hand, the now unattended guitar lying on the floor with a snapped string.

 

Yujin immediately walks in without announcing her arrival, rushing to tend to Minjoo's side. Minjoo was as surprised to see Yujin in the room. "What happened to you?" 

 

"It's nothing," Minjoo attempts to brush her off but Yujin, being the stubborn kid she is of course refuses to listen and tries to take out whatever she has in her backpack. Yujin's brows creases for a moment at the fact that there was only a box of tissue in her backpack that could help and chooses to make do with whatever she has. 

 

"You call this much blood nothing?" Yujin was ready to raise her voice at Minjoo as she carefully dabs on the blood trickling down her skin but backs down when she sees the heavy eyebags under Minjoo's eyes. It looks as if Minjoo had not had much sleep recently and the exhaustion on Minjoo's face was evident. "What happened to you? You look like a dead zombie," Yujin mutters under her breath. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter