First Day

My Secret Love

Yoongi wakes up to the music from the alarm on his phone. He tries to reach up to turn on the lamp but something is holding him down. What's this? He finally realizes Jinny is in his bed on top of him! He tries to gently push her off but she wraps her arms around him even tighter.

"Jinny, wake up," he says tapping on her shoulder.

"Mama, I'm awake," she says as she stretches freeing him at last.

With her half-closed eyes and her messy hair, she gets up and walks out the door. Yoongi stares after her dumbfounded. He wonders what is going on.  'Does Jinny like me?' He hurries nervously getting ready for the first day of school.

In the kitchen, Yoongi is waiting for her so they can eat breakfast.  He's not sure what to do so he pours himself some cereal and milk in the meantime. 

"Good morning," she says happily as she walks in dressed for school.

"Did you sleep well?" She asks him.

"Yes, thank you," he replies thinking I didn't even notice you were in my bed.  

Jinny helps herself to some cereal, and when she's done washing the bowls, she grabs a lunch bag her mom must have prepared.  They stepped out the back door onto the kitchen porch and slipped on their shoes.  They circled around the yard to the front of the house passing an herb garden that must be tended by Mrs. Min.  The yard wasn't big, but they managed to plant neat rows of herbs and other vegetables leaving a small path for walking.

Once outside the yard on their way to school, Yoongi keeps glancing at her, and every time she smiles back at him.  He blushes and doesn't have the nerve to ask her why she was in his bed.  Occasionally Jinny smiles and waves at passersby and others she greets by name.  

"Have you lived here a long time?" He asks.

"Yes, I know everybody and they know me.  Soon you will too," she says.


Jinny shows him around the school and introduces him as her brother.  She even sat with him at lunchtime sharing her food with him.  After school, they walk back home together holding hands as if he would get lost if she didn't drag him along.   She's being so protective it's sweet.  Yoongi stops to pick a wildflower and hands it to her shyly.  She twirls it in her fingers then puts it in her hair. 

"Pretty," he says simply.

"I'll race you home. Loser washes the dishes!" She says as she runs past him.

"Not fair! Not fair!" He cries after her laughing all the way.

Reaching the door Jinny says, "I won!" 

"You cheated! Tomorrow I'll beat you fair and square."

They both sit down at the table to do their homework while her mom is busy preparing dinner.  The aroma coming from her cooking is wonderful.  It feels like such a happy normal home.

After dinner, Jinny helps him clear the table and helps him wash the dishes. When they are done, he plops on the sofa a tired sigh of contentment escaping his lips.  He can't believe he is part of a family again.  It feels strangely familiar but at the same time feels as if he has taken over somebody else's life.  What will this new life bring? He has more questions than answers, but for now, he can only smile at the cute girl painting her nails.