The Island

Counting To Our Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

9k words

 

The whole plane ride was a nightmare. Although he might not look like it, but Junmyeon was super excited about the trip that he barely gets any sleep. Hence, his total blackout once the plane took off. He was only awake when they're just a few minutes before landing, thanks to Chanyeol for waking him up to see the view outside.

As if that wasn’t enough of motion sickness, he just realized that he had to take a ferry to the island. Initially, it was just headaches but now he is getting nauseous as well.

“You okay?” Sehun softly pats Junmyeon's shoulder in worry. “You're a lot paler than you already are.”

“It's just motion sickness.” Junmyeon assures him. It takes a few sips of water before he can finally breathe right. For some reason, his head has been throbbing and it messes his system a bit. “And the weather change, I guess. I’m getting headaches.”

“Well, fret not. Once we get to our villa, you can get some rest.”

Junmyeon hums as he fights the urge to close his eyes. He can already imagine the softness of the pillows and mattresses. Together with the fresh air and away from the cold weather, this will be wonderful.

“Say who are we waiting for?” Chanyeol asks in midst of balancing his newly bought hat and two different types of sunglasses.

Sehun can't say he didn't expect this. Tardiness was never his friends' best traits. Especially when you put the two partners together. “My friends. They’ve been here since last week so I asked them for a favor to take us to our destination.”

“Awesome.” Chanyeol remarks before putting on the pink hat on Baekhyun. “Knew it. It fits you.” As a result, Baekhyun couldn’t help the grin that is widening on his face.

Looking at their interaction, Junmyeon envies both of his friends. It must be nice to have someone you love to reciprocate your feelings. Chanyeol is the happiest when he's around Baekhyun and it shows on his face. Junmyeon wonders if Baekhyun notices that.

But then, he remembers how Chanyeol is ‘supposedly’ his fiancé but Chanyeol has been sticking to Baekhyun like a glue. Won’t Sehun gets suspicious?

“They're really great friends, aren't they?” Junmyeon nudges Sehun with his elbow, hoping his fake laugh wasn't too artificial.

Sehun shrugs. “I suppose. So are we, right?”

The blond is aware of Sehun’s pinkie that is crossing with his. Junmyeon gulps because these days Sehun kept looking at him the way he thinks it isn't right. He knows that look. It isn't foreign. Junmyeon had seen it many times on Kris’ face and it's always when he's around Luhan.

Thankfully, Chanyeol prods Sehun's arm, breaking the latter’s overwhelming gaze. “Is that them?”

Not far from them, two men wearing floral shirts are waving in their direction. Both of them are around Baekhyun's height and probably close to Junmyeon's height too if his legs were still working.

“Welcome to Cambodia, mates!” One of them roars with his arms wide open and the only one replying with the same enthusiasm is Chanyeol. “I'm Kim Jongdae but call me Chen. And this is my lovely assistant, Kim Minseok.” The guy with the cat eyes bows to them with a much calmer vibe. “You'll love it in Koh Rong. You got the view, the sand, the beach and the weather's amazing.”

“Oh, he's definitely going for the weather.” Sehun points at Junmyeon.

He is not wrong though. Anything as long as Junmyeon gets to avoid wearing a double layer.

They start heading to the villa by Jongdae's minivan. Not just any minivan, it’s probably one of those vehicles where celebrities use to go to their schedules.

Taking a deep breath, Junmyeon already loves it here.

 

The color of the ocean and the beach is too breath-taking that Junmyeon's headache is forgotten momentarily. Silently, Sehun grins to himself when he sees the sparks in Junmyeon’s eyes. If he knew how cheerful Junmyeon would be, he would've brought Junmyeon to many places like this.

What Junmyeon and Chanyeol had initially expected was a small villa but when Jongdae stops his van in front of a pretty huge building, both of them couldn't stop their jaw from opening. “How the hell are you able to afford this?” Chanyeol gapes.

“Don't be surprised yet. Let’s go in.” Sehun takes the card and keys from Jongdae before swiping the card at the scanner and the gate automatically opens. Inside, Junmyeon can't emphasize enough how enormous and beautiful this villa looks. There’s a pool! There’s huge TV and probably a spacious bedroom with bathtubs, although Junmyeon might need Chanyeol if he decides to go for that.

“I know you all are every astonished right now. But the main course is of course…” Jongdae pulls the curtains and reveals a glass door where it's directly to the beach. “This.”

The white sand, the beautiful blue and clear water, is this why Sehun refused to let him peek a bit of the place that they were going to stay? Because it's definitely worth it to see this scenery for the first time with both eyes instead of from pictures. “Beautiful, isn't it?” Junmyeon looks to his left to see Sehun putting down the handle of his luggage. “We can try the beach if you want.”

The blond male hums, feeling his fingers excitedly moving to the sound of waves hitting the shore. “Can we go now?”

Whatever Junmyeon wants, of course, Sehun would agree but before he could help Junmyeon to the beach, Chanyeol who was busy with more luggage manage to steal Junmyeon first. “Our prince here needs to rest after a long flight. The beach won't go anywhere and so will your jetlag and headache if you don't lie down.”

The smaller glares at the taller. Sehun gets it that Junmyeon is impatient, he is too but Chanyeol does have a point.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“How much do you need?” Junmyeon uncrosses his arm, he's ready for any digits that he will be asked. The woman opposite him titters yet her posture is still as elegant as he remembers. As expected of someone who has an elite background.

“So this is your solution? Money? Didn't I tell you that I'm not interested in Kris?”

Junmyeon’s nails dig into his pants under the table. He knows negotiating with Narsha wouldn't be easy. “Oh please. You were pretty obsessive over Kris.” Junmyeon bites back. She may fool everyone with that ‘innocent’ eyes but Junmyeon can see her plotting her mischievous plan already.

“Looks like both of us have something in common, don't we?” She says teasingly.

His jaw tightens at her words. Maybe because Junmyeon doesn't want to believe that it's true. This is for Kris’ well-being, not for me. “You know what people are saying now?” Junmyeon puts his book back in his bag. “That Kris' exes must have no appeal despite their blings—Ah no. ‘their blings are the only thing that's there in them.’ Funny, isn't it? A mere boy from nowhere manages to sweep Kris off his feet, unlike his past lovers. Or should I just say... flings.”

The way Narsha’s grip on her glass tightens proves that Junmyeon manage to stab her at the best spot. One thing that Junmyeon is confident after a whole year having to see Narsha and his best friend together is that the woman hates losing. “But then again, it's an old story, isn't it? You're over him and I respect your decision. Thank you for your time, Ms. Narsha.” He bows his head before picking up his bag and stands up.

Just like Junmyeon had expected, he won't go far until Narsha demands him to wait.

“Sit down.”

Junmyeon does as he is told. The beautiful woman takes off her fur coat before placing it aside. “You're wicked.” She says simply. “And I like that. I've always found you... bland. You got my interest, Junmyeon. But why was the change necessary, I wonder?”

“I have no baseless intentions. And it's not for me.”

Narsha can't help the laughter from escaping. “You've never liked me or any of his ex. For you to come looking for me, I definitely don't think you have baseless intentions. Although...” She raises her hand slightly to call the waiter and one comes to her side almost instantaneously. “I'm not sure if I believe in the last part. Order anything you want. It’s my treat. And you know I don't treat just anyone.”

“So, why the change?” Junmyeon asks back, lips tugged to the side.

“Well, for once, you don't glare at me and we are on the same page. And I like how you can convince me.”

Junmyeon orders one of the best meals on the menu with the best wine. Probably cost more than he can even imagine the digits to be in his bank account but Narsha smirks at his high taste. “Doesn't take much. After all...” he cast the menu aside. “You hate losing.”

The woman leans back and crosses her legs. “Precisely.”

Junmyeon has just created a game for Narsha's muse. A dangerous game that may or may not end up good. But there's a reason why Narsha is his chess piece. She loves a dangerous game. It's evident how her lips couldn't stop smiling. Junmyeon just hopes that it won't backfire. “Then let's cheers to that.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Junmyeon... Wake up...”

The first thing Junmyeon sees is Chanyeol’s worried eyes on him. And then he realizes how Chanyeol's hand is cupping his left cheek. “Chanyeol?”

The taller helps Junmyeon to sit up and rests his back on the headboard. “Are you okay?” Chanyeol's hand travels back to his face. When the taller swipes the side of Junmyeon's eye, Junmyeon realizes that he had been crying in his sleep.

“Was it a nightmare?”

Junmyeon shakes his head. It really wasn't. He would've thrashed around if it was. Chanyeol would know that. “Then... a bad memory?”

Instead of answering, Junmyeon asks where Baekhyun and Sehun are. “They're with Minseok and Jongdae. They’re getting some food and beverages for us.”

“Oh...” Junmyeon leans his forehead onto Chanyeol's shoulder. Every time he wakes up from another memory of the past, he gets really exhausted. It’s not a surprise that he’s been getting them more and more often. It always does when the past hits close to him.

The taller rubs Junmyeon's back softly. “You're fine...You're fine...” Chanyeol hums to him.

Junmyeon doesn't know how long they sat like that. But Junmyeon feels so grateful that Chanyeol is there. He’s a friend that Junmyeon never knew he needed. “I’m good now.”

“Okay, now let's get you changed.” Chanyeol leans away from Junmyeon. “You were excited about the beach so I think—wait, are you bleeding?!”

“Huh?”

Chanyeol immediately jumps to his feet at the sight of blood dripping from Junmyeon's nose. “Oh my God, you are bleeding!”

The taller male panics in search of tissues and when he found it in one of his bags, he presses it onto Junmyeon's nose. “Do you need to go to the hospital or should I call Sehun?”

“No! Don't call Sehun. Or anyone.” Junmyeon takes another tissue from Chanyeol's hand. “It's just the shock from the abrupt weather change. This is nothing, Chanyeol. And don't tell anyone. Sehun would freak out.”

“Are you sure?” Chanyeol still looks at his bleeding nose warily. “I'm fine, Chanyeol. See?” he removes the tissue from his nose and the bleeding is almost gone. “Now help me. My bag is right behind you.”

When Chanyeol refuses to move, Junmyeon heaves out a sigh. “Chanyeol, I’m really fine. I used to get nosebleeds all the time.”

This doesn’t seem to convince Chanyeol so Junmyeon takes his hand. “Tell you what, if I get another nosebleed, you’ll bring me straight home.”

“And the hospital.”

Junmyeon chuckles. “And the hospital. Okay? So can we get ready now?”

Chanyeol inspects Junmyeon’s nose one last time before pushing him back onto the mattress. “20 more minutes.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

By the time the four of them get back, Chanyeol is preparing to carry Junmyeon on the beach wheelchair that they were given. Thank God for the existence of it because it’ll make Junmyeon’s movement much easier.

Baekhyun starts running outside first, followed by Chanyeol. As for Junmyeon, Sehun is the one taking the initiative to push Junmyeon’s wheelchair.

Junmyeon can’t remember when the last time he went to the beach was. He’s not even sure whether he can after his accident. But Sehun really is like a fairy godmother. He makes a lot of unexpected things happen.

It is just until the wooden beach chair at the shore. Junmyeon doesn't dare to stand 5 meters away from the ocean. Although he is dying to feel the water but this will do for now. “Do you need any help?” Sehun asks after seeing Junmyeon struggling to lift himself to the chair. “I'm alright—”

“Help's here!” Chanyeol comes into the scene out of the blue and carries Junmyeon onto the chair even before the blond could protest. “I'm going hit the waves so don't forget the sunscreen. The drinks are on your left and just shout if you need me.”

With that, Chanyeol leaves not forgetting to pinch Junmyeon’s cheeks as he runs to meet Baekhyun who already submerged his ankles in the water.

Junmyeon is getting himself comfortable, draping the towel all over his lower half. That is until Junmyeon notices that Sehun has this questioning look on his face. “What?”

“Don't tell me you're cold.”

“Oh, this?” the blond fixes his towel again, covering it until it reaches his belly. “No, not cold. It’s just... it's unsightly.”

“What is?”

Junmyeon bites his lips as he rubs his legs above the towel. Yet, he can feel nothing. “They're skinny. Bones actually. It's not a sight I want to show.”

Sehun forgets about that. Junmyeon always wears long pants so he knew that Junmyeon's lower half is skinny but he never actually paid attention to how it looks precisely. But it's not at all unsightly if that is what Junmyeon worries so much. Different, but it never comes across him as ugly. Nonetheless, he does understand where Junmyeon's insecurities come from. “Is your headache gone?” he asks instead.

“Yeah. Thank God. It’ll be a hassle if it isn’t.” Junmyeon leans back, putting his sunglasses on. He hears plastic rustling and suddenly, a black hat is placed onto his head. “Don't get so tan.”

“Thanks,” Junmyeon mumbles while fixing it properly on his head. “Aren't you joining the water?” Far from them, Junmyeon can hear Baekhyun's booming laughter, accompanies by Chanyeol loud ones. They look like they're in their own world. Well, Chanyeol does look like he's having the time of his life.

Seems like it's not only Chanyeol that is fond of the waves. The way Junmyeon looks longingly at the water, Sehun notices this. “I'll go if you go.”

Junmyeon snorts. “Very funny. If my wheelchair got dragged into the sea, that's on you.”

“It won't. Come on. I’ll protect you.”

There's something about Sehun's smile that eases Junmyeon. At that moment, Junmyeon wants to forget everything and believe in Sehun. Has the younger always have this effect on him? He makes Junmyeon smile as if his burdens are erasing one by one. Trusting him, Junmyeon lets Sehun pushes him gently until he's just a few steps away from the sea.

“I think here is enough.” Junmyeon stops him. Any closer to the water won't make that much of a difference. Sehun though doesn't look satisfied. “You sure?”

“This is as good as I can get, Sehun.”

“I can take you in the water if you want.” Sehun suggests but he didn't see how Junmyeon's eyes widen at the absolutely terrifying suggestion.

“I doubt that.”

Sehun hands him a seashell he picked up on the way. “It'll be fine.”

The shell is really pretty, Junmyeon admits to that. “You're going to carry me?”

“No, Junmyeon. I'm going to wheel you into the water.” Sehun says pointedly. Junmyeon almost laughs if it weren't for Sehun's persistence. “Of course, Junmyeon. I will carry you.” The younger continues.

He wants it. The beach wheelchair can only do so much. He still can’t feel the waves. Yes, Junmyeon should be conscious of his state but he really wants to submerge in the water. “If you drop me I swear to God, Sehun.”

Sehun lets out a triumphant grin before snaking his arms under Junmyeon's bony thighs. Not like Junmyeon felt anything when Sehun touched his under thighs but he definitely feels something in his stomach. “Wrap your arms around me.”

“Like this?” Junmyeon asks after hugging his arms tightly around Sehun. His hands are clasped together just behind Sehun's neck and in the count of 3, Sehun lifts him up from the wheelchair. “You really need to eat more, Junmyeon.” Was Sehun's first impression. This feels like the first time he is being carried by Chanyeol. Sehun is just as strong that they have no problem in carrying him bridal style, to Junmyeon's wrecked pride.

But despite it, there's a difference. Like how he is very much aware of how close his face is with Sehun's. Or how Sehun's thumb is actually touching his skin because of his lifted floral print shirt. He’s not sure why he can be aware of those little details.

After so long of knowing Sehun, he didn't realize Sehun had freckles. They’re very faint. Almost invisible. His hand itches to touch it.

Perhaps he's been staring too long because Sehun has this brilliant idea of moving his face forward, scaring the man in his arms. “Do I look that good?” The younger’s lips are almost in a teasing manner. Junmyeon doesn't dare to stare them any longer. “There's just sand. On your face.”

“Sure.”

One thing that Junmyeon is grateful for is that they’re not at a public beach where it's usually crowded. Instead, this feels exclusive. Or else Junmyeon couldn't help but feel insecure under many people's gaze. Well, it's kind of embarrassing to be carried this way but he'll manage.

As Sehun moves further and further in the water, Junmyeon holds onto Sehun tighter and the latter chuckles at how terrified Junmyeon is. “Relax, Junmyeon.”

“Are you sure this is safe?” He looks down and the water is already an inch above Sehun's ankles. “Okay! Here is good. Here is good.”

“You sure? We can go further.”

Junmyeon shakes his head as he peeks down again. “Nahh I'm good. You can just... put me down here. But don't go away!”

Sehun chortles while his thumb brushes comfortingly on Junmyeon's back. “You freak out too much. Don't worry, I won’t.”

Gently, Sehun crouches down until he is on his knees and delicately places Junmyeon on the ground. The water now is up till it’s covering half of Junmyeon's thigh and the older has the biggest smile on his face. “Ooo it's a little cold, isn't it?”

Sehun doesn't leave Junmyeon's side at all. Junmyeon’s right, this might be dangerous if he's not properly taken care of. But then, Sehun would never let anything happened to Junmyeon. Ever. Not on his watch.

Although he can no longer swim like he used to. This is enough. What’s worth the trip is the ambiance. He feels cold and warm at the same time. The best part is that Sehun keeps on making him laugh with the funny stories of their past. Like that time Junmyeon had his own Justin Bieber phase. It was horrifying. He refused to listen to any song that isn't Justin Bieber. “That was creepy considering you're like way older than him.” Sehun grimaces.

“In my defense, he had bops during his early years." Junmyeon defends himself.

“Right. I thought you were listening to his face.”

“Excuse me! I was—woah!” The waves that hit Junmyeon this time are slightly bigger and stronger that had Junmyeon moving from his spot. Sehun immediately clutches onto Junmyeon's arm to still him.

But waves like that will come again. And he can’t risk of Junmyeon getting hurt. “This can't do.” Sehun stands up, confusing the blond male.

Junmyeon thought Sehun was going to go far but instead, he settles right behind Junmyeon and spreads his leg on each Junmyeon's side. He pulls the latter closer until Junmyeon is leaning his back directly on Sehun's chest and the smaller is seated comfortably in between Sehun's legs. “Now you're secure.”

“Uh, this is weird.” Junmyeon mumbles out loud. His body is obviously stiff at this (intimate) position and then it got worse when Sehun hugs his waist from behind. “Is it very uncomfortable?”

That's not the case, Junmyeon thinks. Strangely it's not. It just feels... odd. But not the bad kind. Maybe because it's been a long time since they're this close. However, Junmyeon's not sure whether back then, his heart would accelerate this fast.

But there's this another thing. He sure can feel his heart beating fast in front. But at his back, he feels another movement. Another rhythm. A much faster one indeed. “Sehun?”

“Hmm?” The younger hums.

“Are you nervous?”

“Why'd you ask?”

Junmyeon couldn't see how close they are but he can feel every word, every breath of Sehun ghosting against his ear. He can feel goosebumps creeping on his skin. “I just... I can feel your heartbeat on my back.”

“Oh...” is what Sehun can only say. But then he continues, “You're right, I'm nervous.”

Junmyeon turns his head slightly. “Because you're worried that anything might hap

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter