Bros Before Boyfies

First Weeks and Friends

 

On Monday,
and Kongpob go to the university together. During lunch, they ditch their friends and eat at the Business faculty's cafeteria.
Arthit

"The pink milk here is better than the one at our faculty. We should eat here often," says Arthit.


~

On Tuesday, they go to university together again. During lunch, they ditch their friends and eat at the Education faculty's cafeteria.

"The pink milk here is also better than the one from our faculty's cafeteria. We should also eat here often."

Kongpob is now getting his antics. While Arthit can sometimes say "i love yous" and "i miss yous," Kongpob can count them in his own hands. Most of the time, he communicates his affection differently, such as saying to eat at another faculty's cafeteria more often so they can be together by themselves. He just smiles and agrees with him.


~

On Wednesday, they go to school together again. But before Arthit escapes from his friends...

"Arthit, where are you going?" Bright has had enough.

"I'm... I'm going to the library. Wanna come with me?" He knows Bright won't go even near that place.

"Don't fool me, Arthit." Bright looks at him from head to toe. "You? Library?"

Knot hears them, so he comes to the rescue. "Just let him, Bright."

Arthit looks at Knot. He still hasn't talked to him about the gear he saw, but he's thankful his friend stopped prying.

Prem interrupts. "I asked him to be my partner for our case study. He's about to research for our case."

Knot and Arthit questioningly look at Prem. Arthit is not Prem's partner for the case study; Knot is.

"No! You can do that later, but now..." Bright puts his arm over Arthit's shoulder, "let's have lunch. You already ditched us for two days!"

Arthit can't do anything now. His friends will surely be curious if he keeps on disappearing at lunch time. He nods. "Okay."

"Tutah! Let's go!"

Before they go out of the classroom, Knot stops Prem.

"Do you know something?"

Prem is not sure if he should tell him. Knot reads his face, understanding that his friend is trying to keep a secret. "I know it too. I've seen them."

Prem gives him a look and chuckles. "They are really bad at hiding it."

"How did you know?"

"I saw 0062 came out of Arthit's room late at night, you?"

"I saw 0062 riding Arthit last week."

"You saw WHAT?"

"0062 was injured, so Arthit carried him." Knot pauses. "Hey... I know you're trying to keep their secret, and I do too. Let's keep it this way for now."

Prem just nods. Kont feels relieved that his friend is cooperative. However, he still worries about the others. 


~

The professor turns the projector off and reminds the class of the deadline of the group project. It's the one Kongpob and his friends worked on last Sunday. Thanks to him and Tew, their project is almost done.

Kongpob is ready to grab his backpack and run outside when two hands pushed him on his shoulders back to his seat. It's Oak and M.

"And where do you think you're going, Mr. Loverboy?" M asks.

"What?"

"You already escaped us twice. So, when are you going to introduce us with your girlfriend?"

"Girl-? No! I'm just going to the library." Did he and Arthit talk about this excuse?

Tew hears the commotion. Feeling bad for his friend, he points his fingers at the two. "He's going to the library because you are two are of no help to our project."

Kongpob silently thanks Tew. He really should be his new best friend.

He's thinking of a fast escape route when his phone vibrates.

He's thinking of a fast escape route when his phone vibrates     

Kongpob bites his lip. He replies that it's okay while trying to hide his phone screen from Oak's prying eyes. Giving up, he looks at his friends. "Okay, okay. Let's have lunch. Wad! Come with us!"


~

Arthit is at the Engineering faculty's cafeteria with his friends. He's enjoying his chicken basil with two eggs and pink milk.

He was lying to Kongpob; all the pink milk in the whole campus just tastes the same. The stalls are owned and managed by the same person after all. He just wants to be with his boyfriend alone, serious that he wants to know him more.

He's listening to Tutah's encounter-of-the-night story when Kongpob and his friends greet them and take the table next to theirs.

Kongpob chooses the seat nearest to Arthit. Sitting back to back, they both feel like they're still eating together.

Their tables are really close to each other that one group can hear the conversation of the other.

"So, Arthit..."
"So, Kongpob..."

Bright and M say at the same time. They both look at each other and smile.

"When are you going to introduce the unlucky girl?"

They both continue, now in complete unison.

Everyone falls silent.

"Awkward," Prem mutters. Wad glares at him. How did he hear that?

"N'Kongpob!" Bright stands up and goes to the other table. He sits on the tiny space left beside Kongpob, hanging his arm around the latter's shoulder. "You too? Hiding something, huh?"

Arthit feels really uneasy now, and he doesn't know what to do except for one thing: to escape. He stands up and gathers his things.

Tutah notices this. "Oy! Oy! Where are you going?"

"I'm done with lunch. I told you I should be in the library, so I'll be going now."

The people at the two tables watch him go.

"What's with the hurry?" Bright is still beside Kongpob. He looks at him and says, "Anyway, Nong, trust your friends more, okay?" He winks at him and goes back to his seat.

Kongpob knows Bright advice is right. He texts Arthit while finishing his lunch.

All but one message failed to make Kongpob smile     


All but one message failed to make Kongpob smile. 

~     


~

After lunch, the seniors still have free time before their next class. Bright pulls Tutah away from their other friends.

"Ai'Bright! It hurts!" He drags the other to somewhere far from the others. They're walking toward the gymnasium. Bright opens his big mouth.

"Have you noticed something different about Arthit lately?"

"What do you mean?"

"Arthit... he's... hiding something from us."

"As if you need to know everything about him."

"Ai'Tutah, it's not that! It's just... I always notice Arthit looking at... 0062. Have you seen how he smiles when he's near him? I don't know. One time, I saw them together. I thought they hate each other? Then, during lunch, when I was interrogating 0062, he walked out. I don't know what I'm saying, but I-"

"Oh. I thought I'm the only one."

Bright is about to react, but he stops the other from walking. He points at the guy resting at the back of the gymnasium. It's Arthit.

"See? He's not at the library. He's hiding something."

"Let's go back."

"Why? No! Let's talk to him."

"Bright, no. Let him be. If he's ready, he'll talk to us. Let's go."

"So you think... he and 0062 are dating?"

"Bright," Tutah wants to explain to him how his gaydar works, but knowing Bright, he won't understand it. He just rolls his eyes and continues, "Yes. Now, let's go. Don't tell anyone about this, or else I will kill you!"

Now, Tutah is the one dragging Bright to their classroom.


~

Kongpob waits for Arthit's class to end. He is waiting outside the gates to meet him. From afar, Bright watches them.

Kongpob didn't bring his motorcycle today, and Arthit didn't bring his bike. They just walk towards the dorms, sometimes "accidentally" brushing their arms against each other.

They reach Arthit's room while the sky is still bright.

"Do you want to sleep here tonight?"

Kongpob's face lights up.

"Hey! Just sleep, okay? I'll kick you out if you start something."

"P'Arthit, what are you thinking? I'm not even saying anything!"

"Your face says it."

"P'! I'm not even thinking about that yet!"

"I-"

"You're the one thinking about it! P'! I'm still young!" An alarm clock flies towards Kongpob. "Aww, P'Arthit!"

"So, will you sleep here tonight? Answer quickly before I change my mind."

"Yes, P'Arthit."

"Okay. Just stay here. I'll buy us dinner."

Kongpob's already wide smile even grows wider. While he enjoys taking care of his boyfriend, he also wants Arthit to do the same for him. His heart feels fluttery, and it gives him a reason to say it:


"Thanks, hubby."


Arthit is taken aback by what he heard.

Did he... just call me "hubby?"

Actually, Arthit was afraid of whatever term of endearment Kongpob would choose to call him. Knowing Kongpob, he thought he would choose something cringe-worthy, like "sweetheart" or "honey."

But he chose "hubby."

To him, it has a nice ring to it.

He's smiling like an idiot in front of Kongpob, who is enjoying the scene. Something in Arthit's face tells Kongpob he made the right choice of nickname. Arthit finally finishes his inner monologue and looks at his boyfriend. He makes short successive nods, forcing himself not to smile, and goes out the door and closes it.

A few seconds later, he opens the door again and peeks his head in.


"Wait for me to come back... hubby."


It's Kongpob's turn to be taken aback. Arthit closes the door before he can react. He doesn't see how Kongpob slowly falls on the floor because of what he did.

"P'Arthit, you'll be the death of me."