Not So Bright

First Weeks and Friends

 

 


Arthit suddenly feels as if his small room is actually too big. The two weeks he has been with Kongpob made them grow closer that now, being without him makes him feel empty.

His eyes widen upon his own realization that he misses Kongpob, but his lips form a smile afterwards. He gets a pillow and buries his face for a while until his phone chirps repeatedly.

Annoyed by the disturbance to his cheesy imaginations that nobody would ever know, he sits up and gets his phone. The group chat with his friends is full of gleeful and excited messages as their only class for today got canceled. The semester's about to end, and the professors are more lax. He replies with an "okay" emoji before placing his phone back on his desk.

Now, he has all day to himself with nothing to do... and no Kongpob to bother him.

He gets his phone again and checks his friends' other messages. They all have plans on their own, so he'll really be alone today. He plays with his phone until his stomach reminds him that he hasn't eaten breakfast yet. Dragging himself off his bed, he goes to the bathroom to freshen up before buying his breakfast.

Looking at himself on the mirror, he realizes that his last haircut was more than a month ago, when Kongpob accompanied him to the salon. He decides to have his haircut today and eat breakfast at the mall instead. It's past 11 am, anyway.

Strolling around the mall isn't new to Arthit. He actually likes his me-time, but his last two visits here were both with Kongpob, so he can't help but feel lonely.

He settles in a cheap restaurant for his breakfast. Instead of having his regular pink milk, he opts for a cup of iced coffee.

Across his table is a pair of guys, probably eating their late breakfast as well. One of the guys extends his arm to give the other a piece of meatball. Arthit smiles a little, realizing they might be a couple. However, the other guy declines, with a mix of fear and annoyance on his face.

Arthit's heart sinks for the first guy, and it sinks more when he realizes he might be treating Kongpob the same way. With his mood affected by what he has witnessed, he ends up forcing himself to finish his noodle soup.

His mind is still on the couple while he's on his way to the salon. As he enters the place, the receptionist greets him. "Just a haircut," he tells her.

The guy who cut his hair before comes out, and he recognizes Arthit. "Nong! You're back! Where's your friend?"

He's referring to Kongpob. Arthit doesn't know why he's asking, but he shyly answers anyway. "He's not with me today."

The haircutter leads him to the barber's chair and starts t his hair. In less than 30 minutes, he's done and is on his way home.

He checks his phone for any messages from Kongpob, but there's none. He might be in class. Suddenly, Arthit remembers the white thread Kongpob is still wearing.

On their way home last night from the "date" with Namtarn and Joy, he told Kongpob to remove the thread since it already got dirty, but the other insisted that he doesn't want to because it's him who gave it.

Coincidentally, Arthit passes by an accessory store, which gives him an idea. He goes inside and looks for a bracelet that can replace the white thread, convinced that his boyfriend would get rid of it if he replaces it with something else.

He picks a simple brown bracelet. Satisfied with his choice, he goes to the cashier to pay for it.

But before he does, he goes back to the stand where he got the bracelet and gets another one. The thought of wearing the same thing puts a smile on his face.

Before continuing his way home, he checks his phone again, and when there's still nothing from his boyfriend, he finally decides to text him first.

He's planning to go to the university and surprise his boyfriend


He's planning to go to the university and surprise his boyfriend. However, Arthit's already in his room when Kongpob replies.

There goes Arthit's plan to surprise his boyfriend and give his gift


There goes Arthit's plan to surprise his boyfriend and give his gift. He sighs and just tells Kongpob that it's okay.

He looks around his large room and allows his body to fall on his bed. He's really not used to being alone anymore.
 
 
~

The Engineering faculty's cafeteria is too busy for a Tuesday morning. The freshmen populated the area as they continue their works while eating their late breakfast.

"I don't know what to do with my paper anymore. I already revised it thrice, but Prof. Anusorn still won't accept it," Maprang complains.

"Same here, but I already revised mine five times!" Oak says as if it's a contest.

M, May, and Tew share the same sentiments. Not minding his friends' whining, Kongpob tries to reread his work while eating his food. He has a photoshoot for the university's campaign to go to, yet he still has a lot of things to do. He didn't even have time to meet his boyfriend.

"Kong!" Praepailin approaches her friends' table. She has a full makeup on. "Are you almost done? We're about to start."

Kongpob takes a last bite from his food before standing up. "I am ready now."

He starts packing his things while telling his friends he already needs to go.

"Oh Kong," Praepailin calls his attention." P'Minnie already left, so I have to do your makeup." She waves a makeup kit.

"Oh, okay."

"Let's go."
 

This year's Moon and Star were asked to model for the university's website, and even though both Kongpob and Praepailin are busy with their studies, they made time for the photoshoot because they already said yes a while back.

While applying foundation to Kongpob's face, Praepailin asks him a question.

"Wouldn't someone be mad at me because I'm doing this to you—" The vision of Arthit doing Kongpob's makeup suddenly enters Praepailin's imagination. She has to physically shake her head to take it off her mind, "—uh... or because we're always together?"

"Uhh..." Kongpob's eyes remain closed as his friend brushes his eyelids. "...No one would be mad, Prae.

Praepailin wonders if the secret thing is the idea of Kongpob, Arthit, or both of them. Realizing she might be making her friend uncomfortable, she changes the subject.

"Do you think we would get paid for this?"

Kongpob laughs. "I doubt."
 
 
~

"I'm just saying, if anyone of us comes out, we will accept him wholeheartedly. Look at Tutah. He's gay, but we still are friends with him," Bright says.

"Well, I haven't felt I am your friend," Tutah responds.

Bright throws an empty plastic bottle at him. "How about now?"

Knot glares at Bright, signaling him to stop. It's Bright's way to make Arthit feel that he will still be accepted if he comes out to them. However, Knot feels Arthit is uncomfortable of the topic.

"What about you, Prem?" Bright ignores Knot.

"Uhhh..." Even Prem feels discomfort. "Of course... who are we to judge?"

Knot fishes his phone out of his pocket to text Bright and tell him his plan is not working and that he has to stop.

After their unplanned get-together last Sunday in the shabu-shabu place, the four friends talked about the scene they witnessed. There's no denying that Arthit is gay since they heard it themselves when he admitted he's dating Kongpob. They agreed to let Arthit decide on his own when to tell them and simply give him hints that they are accepting and open-minded people. That way, he'll feel comfortable coming out to them. However, Bright's current plan is far from being comfortable as Arthit's eyes are shaking the whole time.

Bright reads Knot's message. He finally notices Arthit's state. "Oh. I'm... I'm still not done with my paper, haha!"

Knot, Tutah, and Prem roll their eyes altogether.

Bright tries to look away to escape the awkward situation at their table when he notices a familiar junior carrying another familiar junior. It's Kongpob carrying Praepailin on his back.

On their way out of the studio after the photoshoot, Praepailin tripped on the grass because of her high heels, which hurt her ankle. Kongpob had to carry her and have her ankle checked in the clinic. "Prae, you're already the third in our class that hurt their ankle in a month," Kongpob jokes.

Suddenly, Bright has an idea. He elbows Arthit on his left, showing him the scene.

"Why?" Arthit lifts his head and looks at where Bright is looking at: at Kongpob with Praepalin on his back, crossing in front of their building.

"Our Star and Moon look good together, don't you think?" Bright says.

Arthit thought his insecurities were already gone. But here they are, all alive and blooming again. It's obviously jealousy, but Arthit thinks it's something else.

Moreover, a while ago, he invited Kongpob for lunch, but the latter said he can't join him because of his workload and because of the photoshoot. Arthit didn't tell Kongpob, but he missed him so much yesterday. Now, he feels so rejected.

As Kongpob and Praepailin reach the other building and make their way inside the clinic, Arthit looks down and clenches his fist.

His friends, who all witnessed the scene, feel the tension around their friend. None has an idea how to deal with it since Arthit is still unaware that they already know.

They watch their friend stand up and leave their table without any word.

"What were you thinking?" Knot shouts at Bright rather than asking him.

"He needs a little push. Now that he's jealous, he will ask for your advice; then, he will have no choice but to come out," Bright proudly answers.

"Oh my god," Tutah reacts.

Knot grits his teeth and scratches his brows that are not even itchy. "You thought it will make him come out? You just made him angry! They might break up because of what you did!"

"Aw—" Bright finally realizes what he hadn't thought of. "—I don't think it would lead to that."

"What if it would?" Prem asks.

Bright has no answer. Breathing deeply, Knot rests his back.

After keeping quiet for a few minutes while deep in his thoughts, he taps the table. "About what happened, we can't fix that now."

Prem, Tutah, and Bright slowly nod.

Knot continues, "While they're not telling everything to us, this problem is just up to them. Let's just hope they fix it soon. However, other things like that could happen because of careless people like this one..." he eyes Bright. "...and we have to avoid those kinds of things, so we have to control the situation...

...and I think I have an idea."