...And You Are the Only Person That I Love

First Weeks and Friends

 

 

 

"Bright, can't you drive faster?"

"Ai'Arthit, we're already on the speed limit!"

"Don't worry, Arthit. We will get there on time," Knot reassures him.

Arthit has thought about coming out to Bright and Prem while in the car, like what he did with Knot. However, his mind is too occupied right now with the thought of being at the party, and he can't muster up the same courage he showed earlier. He doesn't even notice that his two friends aren't curious about why he's in a hurry and is forcing Bright to drive faster.

When they reach Bangkok, Arthit feels relieved. He looks at his watch, and they still have time. Bright is about to turn to their university's street when Arthit stops him.

"Bright, wait!"

Bright stops the car.

"Can you drive straight to my dorm? I just need to get something real quick," Arthit says in an urgent tone.

Bright looks at Knot in the rearview mirror. The latter gives him a nod, so he resumes driving straight.

"Thanks, Bright," Arthit says.

"Just make sure I get to be there on time for my chocolates."

"I'll give you more if you want, just drive faster."

They pull up in front of Arthit's dorm. "Give me three minutes," he says. He storms inside and climbs up to his floor. Opening his door in no time, he goes straight to his bedside drawer and grabs the things he needs.

His gifts for his juniors might be in the car with his other things, but the most important one for the most important person was left in this drawer. Pocketing the bracelets he bought that day he was alone in the mall, he goes out of his room and hurriedly jogs back to Knot's car.

"That's even less than three minutes," Prem comments. "What did you get?"

"A gift for my junior."
 

~

The Thank You Party is a yearly event held by the Engineering faculty every last Saturday of January. Because of the SOTUS system, its seniors and juniors have a close relationship, and the party is a way to celebrate it.

This year, it's being held on their building's rooftop, which is now decorated with colorful lights. The place is already filled with students, all dressed in bright colors.

Tutah is talking on the stage when Kongpob and M appears. They are greeted by Tew and Praepailin who lead them to their other friends.

Tew elbows M and whispers, "Is he still not okay?"

After M shakes his head, they step on the side so Kongpob won't hear them. "He only came with me because I forced him to."

"P'Knot said this morning that they might not make it," Tew says.

"How did he tell you?"

"Uhh... he texted me."

"And you have his number, how?"

"I... got it after our meeting."

M gives his friend a suspicious look, and Tew returns it with an awkward smile.

"Oh. Here. He texted again," Tew says. "They're now on their way here, and oh! P'Arthit already told him everything."

"Really? That's good!"

"He tells us not to tell Kongpob that they're coming so he would be surprised."

"Okay. Let's just keep him entertained before he decides to go home." They both look at Kongpob, who is actually contemplating of going home.

M steps towards Kongpob and puts his arm over his shoulders. "Let's go get some drinks!" With nothing else to do, Kongpob follows his lead absentmindedly.

The night goes on cheerfully. The juniors start giving their gifts to their direct line and favorite seniors, and the seniors do the same. With the DJ playing pop music, people start dancing. In the middle of everyone, Kongpob starts to feel out of place. M's plan to entertain him waned early.

He should give the last gift he's holding before heading home. Kongpob tries to find Ple, his second-year direct line senior, and he spots her in the middle of the crowd.

"P'Ple, thank you for always guiding me." Kongpob hands her the last small box he has. "I hope you'd like it."

"Thanks, Kongpob." Ple gives him a sweet smile, as always.

Kongpob is about to say goodbye, but Arthit's direct line junior, whom he doesn't remember the name of, walks towards them. "Hi, Kongpob, P'Ple."

"Oh," Ple says. "Where's P'Arthit?"

Hearing his name makes Kongpob's straight face frown.

"He called and said he's working on an assignment out of town, so he couldn't make it here," Arthit's direct line junior answers. Kongpob already knows this, but still, he's hoping for a different answer. He thinks about excusing himself when Ple reacts in glee:

"Oh, here he is!"

Who's he?

Kongpob turns around and sees Arthit and his friends walking towards them. His lips form a smile, but he takes it back when he realizes he and Arthit are not on speaking terms.

The arrival of the hazing team catches everyone's attention that Tutah gets off the stage to greet his friends. "Oy! Didn't you say you wouldn't be here tonight? Why are you here?"

Bright parts everyone and comes to the front. "We thought we couldn't make it. But Arthit kept rushing me, so I drove super fast!" There's a different excitement in Bright's face that Tutah doesn't recognize. He needs to talk about it later.

"I see," Tutah says. "Do you want to get your gifts that bad, Arthit?"

"Shut up. I'm actually here to give my juniors these gifts." Arthit takes a small item from his paper bag, a phone accessory, and gives it to his direct line junior. "Here you are," he says. He takes another to give to Ple. "Here you are," and he takes another to give to Kongpob. "Take this."

After days of silence, Kongpob finally hears a word from him. He's curious about what happened, but whatever it is, he's thankful. "Thank you," he says.

Arthit doesn't reply and continues joking with his friends. His talk to Kongpob has to wait until the two of them are alone. However, Kongpob can't wait anymore. Arthit might not talk to him again, so he has to give his gift right now. That's why when Arthit excuses himself, Kongpob stops him.

"Hold on, P'Arthit."

Arthit's friends notice that the two are about to have their much-needed talk, so they silently step aside to give the two their moment.

"What is it?" Arthit asks Kongpob.

"I have something for you." Kongpob hands him a white envelope. Please take it. Please take it.

And Arthit does.

Kongpob feels like a winner while Arthit is opening the envelope. Inside is the yellow paper he poured all his feelings into a few nights ago. He doesn't know how Arthit will react, but he has to tell him everything.

Knowing how cheesy Kongpob is, Arthit already knows what the paper he's holding is. Kongpob even made him write a letter for Tum before, so it's just a matter of time for him to receive one. He's thinking of saving it for later, but Kongpob's enthusiastic face tells him to read it now, so he has no choice but to open it right at the moment.

P'Arthit krup,

I once told you that I wanted you to write me a love letter. But today, let me be the first to write one to you. I hope you don't mind me doing this at will. Honestly, I have so many things to tell you. But I know I may not be able to put them all in this letter. And I don't really know what words to use to express my feelings as there are no words that could reflect the grateful feelings in my heart.

I would like to thank you for your kindness. You have been taking care of me and doing a lot of things for me. I want to thank you for your smiles and laughs, which could turn my ordinary days to ones that are so special.

And I want to thank you for allowing me to love you. Every time we are close to each other, do you know how happy I am? I may be stupid, I may like to tease you, I may be so disobedient and self-absorbed that make you tired of me, so I won't ask you to love me as I do. No matter what happens or changes, to me, the only thing that matters is you, P'Arthit.

You are my only sun. And I promise you will always be that to me.

Reading the letter makes Arthit flooded with emotions. Just like that day every junior in Kongpob's batch bowed to him, he feels appreciated; that's the main one, feeling the sincerity Kongpob put in every word. Then, he feels guilty. His boyfriend suffered a lot only because of his insecurity and childishness. Yet, he feels happy, for Kongpob didn't let go despite him almost ruining their relationship. He can't help but smile, and Kongpob feels proud that his gift brought it.

"Thanks," Arthit says. "Actually, I also have something for you..."

Kongpob's eyes light up. His boyfriend is really not mad at him anymore.

"...but give me your hand first."

Kongpob reluctantly gives his right hand, but it's not the one Arthit needs. "No, the other one." Arthit grabs his other hand and quickly unties the white thread before Kongpob can protest. Then, he takes out the bracelet he bought for Kongpob and gently ties it on the bare wrist.

"Here," Arthit hands him another bracelet. "Tie for me too."

With his heart still full from Arthit putting the bracelet on him, Kongpob obeys and puts Arthit's.

Witnessing all of this, Arthit's friends feel proud of him. Gradually, Arthit is starting to show their relationship. However, as always, Bright has a different plan. Gradual is too slow for him. He steps towards the couple and fakes a cough. Realizing what Bright's about to do again, Knot wants to drag him away, but he's too far from him. And Bright already starts to talk:

"You two wear the same thing. Uh, may I ask..."

Prem elbows Knot to do something.

"...are you two are dating?"

Knot's eyes widen, and Prem is ready to drag him out. They check Arthit, but he doesn't feel bothered, not at all. Arthit's talk with Knot made him realize a lot of things, and one of them is that he should trust his friends.

"We—" Kongpob starts to think of a reason, but Arthit speaks before him.

"So what? Why?" Arthit grabs Kongpob by the shoulder and moves him closer.

"Yes, we are dating."

Arthit's announcement is too loud that almost everyone at the party hears him. It was quiet for a second, but loud cheers thunder right after.

Arthit's friends' jaws drop, except for Bright, who is wearing a smug face, proud that his strategy finally yielded positive results. They join the cheers, not because of the announced secret, which doesn't shock them, but because of the bravery their friend showed. M, Wad, Praepailin, Tew and May join them, all jumping, and they give each other high fives.

Kongpob's eyes get teary, and he can't stop smiling. Telling their friends is more than enough for him, but Arthit went way above that. Now, almost all of the Engineering faculty know about them. He looks at Arthit's face, who is now realizing what he just did, turning red all over. Arthit initially planned to talk to his friends one by one and tell them about his relationship with Kongpob, but he just announced it to everyone. It's actually easier, though, since he doesn't have to repeat himself over and over.

He knows everything will change starting from here, but with Kongpob and his friends beside him, he doesn't care.

The party, for that reason, goes livelier. Tutah, with a very happy grin, goes up the stage and announces that the games will start. As everything happens, Arthit doesn't leave Kongpob's side, which the latter likes a lot. He apologizes for his insecurities and promises Kongpob he won't push him away again.

Together, they eat up the party scene with huge smiles on their faces.

"0062, can I borrow Arthit for a while?" Kongpob looks at the owner of the voice, Prem.

"Prem, you don't have to ask him if you want to talk to—"

"He's your boyfriend, Arthit," Prem interrupts him.

Kongpob nods to Prem, proud that Arthit's friends already acknowledge him as his boyfriend. Prem takes it as a signal to drag Arthit to the side, away from the crowd. Arthit doesn't know where this is going.

"You really surprised me, you know?" Prem says.

Arthit's confused. He thought Prem is one of the people who already know. "What made you surprised?"

"Uh... Actually, I already know about you. But what surprised me is what you did... I mean... not everyone will do that." Somehow, Prem refers to himself.

Not knowing how to respond, Arthit nods and drinks from his cup. Prem holds Arthit on the shoulder, thinking if he should tell him about his relationship with Wad. He looks around and spots his boyfriend talking with Praepailin. For some reason he doesn't know, Wad meets his eyes. And as if Wad knows what Prem is about to do, he shakes his head, telling Prem not to proceed with it.

Arthit waits for something that Prem would say, but it doesn't come out of his mouth. After the awkward staring between the two, Prem returns Arthit to Kongpob, and Prem goes back to his friends, who are now grouped with Kongpob's friends.

"You knew it all along? Why didn't you tell me?" Oak protests.

"It's not our secret to tell," M says.

"He's right, Oak. They're just being good friends. And if it were you who knew first, for sure, the secret had already spilled a long time ago," Maprang tells him, hitting his head.

"Hey, hey," Bright calls everyone's attention and points at the other side of the rooftop. It's Arthit leading Kongpob to a secluded bench.

"Finally, they're now talking again," Knot says.

"Looks like we did a good job," Bright says. Shifting the heavy bag full of chocolates, none of which are given to him voluntarily, he offers Knot a high five. Knot contemplates, thinking that Bright's latest stunt was not really the smartest and could've ended badly. However, it went okay, so he gives it to his friend and raises his hand for him.

"Just so you know, I'm waiting for the kiss to happen," Tutah says. Everyone looks at the couple, who seems like having their own world once again.


 

"Kongpob, do you remember that I still have a favor to ask from you?" Arthit asks.

"Yes, I do remember. What do you want to ask from me?"

Arthit puts his gaze on the floor. "To be honest, I don't know what will happen to us in the future.

But I want to ask you to know that at this very moment, at this very minute...

You are the person I feel special with the most.

And... you are the only person that I love."

Arthit hopes his confession would make Kongpob's worries go away, those worries caused by him.

"I know," Kongpob responds.

This proud brat.

"P'Arthit, I also want you to know..." Kongpob looks at him in the eyes. "I love you."

Arthit feels his cheeks heating up. It's been days since he heard telling him that. He missed it, him, so much. Kongpob starts to lean forward for a kiss. Hesitation isn't even considered. They are in a public place, but tonight, just like that night on the bridge, Arthit doesn't care. Tonight, he'll give everything Kongpob wants. He leans forward, meeting Kongpob halfway through. Under the stars, lit by the party lights, they share a kiss.

And it doesn't escape their friends' eyes.

Praepailin holds May's arm, keeping herself from squealing. Tutah fails and lets out a soft but high-pitched screech. Tew's eyes light up, and Knot fakes a cough. "Let's look the other way."

"I'm enjoying this, actually," Prem says as he snaps a picture of the couple.

"P'Prem!" Wad calls his attention. "What's that for?"

"Don't worry. I will give it to them as a gift."

In the middle of the viewing, Tutah whispers to Knot. "One down. Now, when do you think Prem and Wad will tell us?" He whispers.

Knot looks at the two. "We'll have to wait for that. But it should be easier, right?"

Bright calls for a toast, so they shift their attention back. Everyone raises their cup.

"For our juniors!" Bright shouts.

"Cheers!"

"And for our seniors!" Tew says.

"Cheers!"

"For Arthit and Kongpob!"

"For Arthit and Kongpob!"

Hearing their names, the two being celebrated join their friends, and it is an understatement to say that they received endless teasings from them.

"P'Arthit," M puts his arm over Arthit's shoulder. "Please take care of my best friend, okay." He flexes his other arm to show Arthit the guns he got.

Kongpob and his friends are trying so hard not to laugh.

"Hehe. Of course, Nong," Arthit softly answers, with M's big and heavy arm over his frail shoulders.

"Is this true? Arthit cowering because of Nong M?" Bright hysterically laughs. "Prem, take a picture!"

The Thank You Party is supposed to celebrate the relationship of the juniors and seniors in the past year, but for them, they are already looking forward to a more fun and—because of Arthit and Kongpob—sweet year ahead.






~ e n d ~