Epilogue: Valentine's and Friends

First Weeks and Friends

 



"I'll have a haircut," says Arthit to the receptionist.

"Me too," Kongpob adds.

They are in the salon they went to the first time they went out together. Flashbacks of Kongpob's flirting flood Arthit's mind.

"Is it bad?"

"It's bad."

"It is?"

"It is bad for my heart."

Back then, he didn't believe Kongpob was flirting with him. He just thought it's Kongpob being his annoying self. But now, he smiles upon the realization that what Kongpob said before was not just senseless teasing.

They are led to barber chairs and asked to wait for the hairdressers that will attend them. Arthit stares at himself in the mirror. His hair has gone really uncomfortably long now. It also makes him look much older, which bothers him a lot. Looking good for the date he's planning for him and Kongpob is his top priority right now.

On the chair beside him, Kongpob is busy with his phone. Arthit's heart flutters when he sees Kongpob pouting whenever he's using his phone. He looks so stupid.

"Nong! You're here again!" It's the haircutter Arthit is familiar with, the one who mistook him and Kongpob as boyfriends back then.

"Oh!" He notices Kongpob. "You're here too! Today, I'll cut your hair." He calls his colleague to attend Arthit and sets himself at Kongpob's back. "That Nong, he's my regular customer, do your best to make him look good. I will attend his handsome friend for now," he tells the other haircutter.

Kongpob is amused, and Arthit just shrugs. He doesn't really care who's going to cut his hair. His only concern is to look good on the 14th.

While his hair is being trimmed, Arthit thinks about his plan for their date. He's already saved enough money and booked a restaurant for February 14, at 7 PM. Arthit never imagined himself going to a Valentine's date, which he considers a capitalistic opportunity for businesses, but here he is, planning to surprise his boyfriend with one.

In the mirror, he moves his eyes sideways to look at Kongpob, who is still busy playing his phone. He wonders what keeps his boyfriend busy on his phone but stops thinking when he notices how the haircutter is all smiles cutting his boyfriend's hair, as if he's really enjoying the job.

With the haircutter choosing to attend Kongpob instead of him, it doesn't take long for Arthit to realize that the haircutter is fond of his boyfriend.

His haircut gets finished before Kongpob's. "Nong, you can wait for your friend in the lobby," the one who cut his hair speaks.

"It's okay. I'll wait for him here." The whole time, Arthit watches his former haircutter closely.

"You're done now, but I'll give you a free massage," the haircutter says to Kongpob.

Kongpob was about to go, but he rests his back again. He won't say no to a free massage.

The haircutter, who's now also a masseur, starts to massage Kongpob's shoulders when Arthit stands up and stops his hand. "I don't think it's necessary, we're in a hurry, and he's also ticklish, so he won't appreciate a massage."

Kongpob can't help but let out a small chuckle. Everything Arthit has said is true; they're supposed to meet Praepailin and Tew for lunch, and Arthit just discovered that he's ticklish. But Kongpob knows what is up with his boyfriend.

"You seem overprotective of him now, huh. I thought he's just your friend?" The haircutter teasingly asks.

"Uh yes, he was my friend back then..." Arthit answers.

"...but he's my boyfriend now, so..."

Kongpob is shocked at the admission but feels proud that Arthit can now easily say it.

"Oh really? I knew it! Haha! I'm so happy!" The haircutter exclaims.

Arthit gives him a questioning look, and Kongpob does the same in the mirror.

"I just have this talent of spotting would-be couples." He winks.

The boyfriends just give him an awkward smile. They are led back to the receptionist so they can pay.

On their way to meet his friends, who Arthit also considers now as his, Kongpob tries his luck. While walking, he puts his arm over Arthit's shoulder. Usually, Arthit would remove it at once, especially during when they were hiding their relationship, but now, he doesn't.

A smile forms on Kongpob's face. They can now easily admit their relationship, and he can show affection while in public. He hopes this will never change.

~

It's more like his second room now; that's how Kongpob describes his own room. He spends so much time in Arthit's room that he only sleeps in his own room once or thrice a week. He didn't plan to sleep in his own room tonight either; it's Saturday after all. However, he doesn't want his nosy boyfriend to have a peek at his phone and spoiling his surprise for him.

He's been on his phone all day, even in the salon, but still, he isn't able to reserve a restaurant for the date he plans for the 14th.

While Arthit doesn't change his choice of drink, Kongpob knows he likes to try other kinds of food and he likes them spicy. Thus, Kongpob really wants to have a reservation at this particular fancy restaurant that offers Thai, other Southeast Asian, and European cuisine. Its website also promises that the place will have a calm and romantic ambience on the 14th, so Kongpob's already sold.

However, all the 7 pm slots are already taken. There's a table available at 9 pm, and Kongpob needs to decide now if he's going to take it or if he has to choose another place to have their date at.

The thing is, Kongpob doesn't even know if his boyfriend would like to have a date on Valentine's day. He knows Arthit isn't really a conventional guy, but he wants to give his all to him. Closing his eyes, praying his boyfriend would appreciate it, he taps the "Reserve and Pay" button on his phone's screen.

~

Kongpob opens his door, and his jaw drops at what he's looking at: Arthit in a black tux and blue shirt, brushed up hair, and leather shoes.

"P'..."

"I will kill you if you laugh," Arthit says, stepping into Kongpob's room.

Kongpob laughs at the threat. "I know you wouldn't, P'Arthit. You already love me too much."

"Shut up."

"So what's with the attire?"

"Uh..."

Kongpob is smiling on the outside, but he's feeling a mix of emotions inside. It looks like Arthit planned a date for them, which makes him feel giddy and all. However, he also planned a date for them, and they might overlap.

"Kong, I reserved a restaurant for us tonight. I know this is not like me..." Arthit touches the back of his own head, fixing his hair. "... but I'm asking you...uh... get dressed and come with me."

Arthit's sentence might be fragmented--it didn't even land as a question--but it still makes Kongpob happy... and nervous. He can't hide his worry now that Arthit recognizes something is wrong.

"Why, Kong? If you don't want to..."

"No, P'! I want to. I'd love to... but there might be a conflict."

Arthit narrows his eyes.

"I'm also supposed to take you on a date tonight, P'. I already reserved a restaurant."

"Huh? Really?"

Kongpob nods.

"I also already reserved a place," Arthit says.

Kongpob feels so loved right now. His boyfriend, whom he doesn't even expect to remember Valentine's day, planned a date for him. And judging by the look of Arthit's attire, it's like they going to a special place.

Kongpob wants to be on that date. However, he also wants to be on the date he arranged. It's a waste of money to cancel his reservation too. "Hmmm... what time is your reservation, P'Arthit?"

"7 pm."

"Okay. I think that's good. My reservation is at 9." We can go to the place you reserved first. Then, we go to mine."

"Uh... I guess."

"..."

"Let's just not eat a lot."

~

"So this is where you booked?" Kongpob asks while they're at the front of the restaurant.

"Yes." Arthit feels his face heating up. "I hope you like it, Kong."

"I-" Kongpob can't help but laugh.

"Why are you laughing?"

"I like it so much that I also booked our date here."

Arthit's brows furrow. "As in... here?"

"Yes, P'." He's still laughing.

Arthit slowly nods while taking a step towards the place. It will be a literal long night for them.

Kongpob follows him, and the receptionist greets them. Arthit shows her the confirmation of his reservation in his phone, and Kongpob does the same. The receptionist can't hide her smile as she realizes that the two guys in front of her reserved a table for each other.

The embarrassment makes Arthit think of going home, but it would upset Kongpob, so he fights himself and just avoids looking at the receptionist.

Kongpob, on the other hand, is busy trying to bring his hand closer to Arthit's. When they touch, Arthit swats his hand away and mouths "I'll kill you" to him.

Noted: arm over the shoulder is okay, but holding hands is still not.

The receptionist, of course, witnesses everything. She stands up with a wide smile and leads the couple inside.

The place is dimly lit by yellow lighting. A string quartet is playing slow music that sets the atmosphere. Each table also has red and white roses and candles, which make Arthit's eyes widen. He expected the place to be romantic, but not to the point of being candle-lit.

When they reach their table, Kongpob pulls Arthit's chair.

"You don't need to do that, Kong."

"But this is what men do during dates."

Arthit rolls his eyes, but then, he realizes something.

"Kongpob, wait!" He stops Kongpob before he even reaches his chair. Then, he stands up and goes around the table. He smiles at Kongpob and pulls the chair for him. "It's what men do during dates," Arthit says.

Arthit was sarcastic, but Kongpob still blushes. "Thank you, P'."

A waiter approaches them and gives them the menu. Arthit already reviewed the menu on the restaurant's website, partially because he wanted to make sure that his savings are enough, so he now knows what to get.

"Surgeonfish with spicy coconut cream sauce."

"I'll have the same but less spicy, please," says Kongpob.

"Kong, do you want wine?"

"I was about to ask you that, P'."

"This is my reservation, so I get to ask you. Now, answer."

"I'll get back at you after two hours, P'."

The waiter looks at them curiously. This couple is different from the others he served for the night.

When the waiter leaves, Arthit looks around. He feels conscious, given that they are the only same- couple in the place, but he buries his worries later on.

Over their meal, they try to reminisce their past. They talk about their encounters during the hazing days, which make Arthit flustered and speechless most of the time.

Overall, their dinner goes well, and Arthit feels satisfied. As long as he spends the special night with Kongpob and makes him feel happy, which is obvious in his lover's smiles, he's happy as well.

After their dinner, the waiter serves them wine.

They still have plenty of time, but Kongpob thinks it's the best time to give his present. He fishes a box from his pocket, which makes Arthit's heart race in panic.

Don't tell me he'll give me a ring.

When Kongpob presents him a small blue box, Arthit swallows hard. . It really is a ring.

"Happy Valentine's day, P'Arthit. I hope you'll like it."

Arthit swallows again before taking the box. He opens it but closes his eyes right after, so he doesn't see what's inside.

"P'?"

Arthit realizes that Kongpob might think he doesn't like the gift, so he opens his eyes and looks at the content of the box. Two small rings?

He looks at Kongpob. "Two small rings?"

"Rings? No, P'! Those are earrings!"

Arthit's mouth remains wide open. He takes a good look at Kongpob's gift to him, and it is a pair of silver earrings.

"I know you lost your earrings since you stopped wearing them, so I bought you a new pair."

"Thank you, Kong." Arthit feels relieved yet still shy.

"Wait, P'Arthit. Did you think I will give you a ring?"

Arthit's cheeks turn pink. "What? No!"

"Aw P'... I didn't know you already think about that."

"Kongpob!"

It's time for Kongpob to surrender and just laugh, but it's a special day, so he doesn't back out. "Have I told you you look hot when you wear an earring?"

Arthit's already pink cheeks now turn red. He blinks his eyes multiple times before coming back to his consciousness. He doesn't respond, so Kongpob talks again.

"Don't worry, P'. I'll give you a ring someday."

Arthit can't take it anymore, so he stepped on Kongpob's foot under the table.

"Aww!"

Kongpob's reaction catches the attention of the other people in the place. They apologize to those around them, and their waiter goes to their table, asking if everything is okay. They just told him that Kongpob twisted a muscle.

After the waiter leaves, Arthit gives Kongpob a look that the latter understands as "you need to behave." Kongpob finally gives up and take a sip of his wine.

He already stopped teasing Arthit, but it's obvious that Arthit is still not at ease.

"P', what's wrong?"

"Uh..."

???

"I also have something for you."

Kongpob's eyes light up. Being on a fancy date that Arthit reserved on their first Valentine's is more than enough for him, but now, he'll receive more.

Arthit takes something from the inside pocket of his tux. He hesitates from bringing it out at first, but he still does. Kongpob's eyes widen more as Arthit hands him an envelope.

"You're giving me a love letter?"

"It's a card."

"You wrote it, and you're giving it to me on Valentine's day, so it's a love letter!" Kongpob can't hide his excitement.

Arthit can't hide his embarrassment. "Do you want me to step on your foot again?"

Kongpob shakes his head as he takes his gift. "Thank you so much, P'."

He's about to open the envelope when a commotion from outside catches the attention of everyone in the restaurant. A few minutes of silence and nothing happens. Maybe it's nothing, so everybody goes back to their business.

Kongpob starts opening the envelope and takes the red scented card inside. He's smelling the card, which looks funny to Arthit, when another noise from outside steals their moment once again. It's like people are arguing.

Everyone is silent, all trying to listen.

"I said we'll just wait!"

It's the first complete sentence they hear. Then, Arthit's eyes widen.

"I know that voice."

He stands up and storms towards the reception area. Kongpob follows him, keeping the letter he hasn't opened inside his pocket.

When Arthit reaches the front desk, two pairs of wide eyes greet him.

"Prem? Nong Wad?"

Prem's mouth falls while Wad tries to hide his face using his hand.

"What's happening here?" Kongpob says when he comes out. "Oh," he reacts when he realizes the situation. He looks at Arthit, who also looks at him. "Ohhhhhhhh..."

"You two need to shut up with your reactions," Prem says.

"Sir, we're asking you to leave," the receptionist interrupts. "Mr. Rojnapat, Mr. Suthilakk, please go back inside. This man is dangerous. I already called security. Sorry for the disturbance."

Prem wants to laugh at the names they're called, but he's not in a good mood at the moment, especially when the receptionist described him as dangerous.

"Oh. No, don't worry. They're my friends," Arthit says. "Now, Prem, what's up with you? Are you really causing a commotion here?"

"No."

"Yes, he does, Mr. Rojnapat," the receptionist answers. "He's forcing to get inside even though I already said that all the tables are booked and reserved until our closing time."

Arthit gives his friend an angry yet funny look. He didn't know Prem would bring someone in this kind of place. He didn't even know that he's dating. He didn't even know he's gay too.

Prem just lowers his head, as if doing so would hide him.

Kongpob goes to Wad's side and puts his arm on his shoulder. Wad gives him an awkward look. "I tried to stop him, Kong."

Kongpob nods. "So... you and P'Prem?"

Wad nods.

"Ohhhhhhh..."

Prem hears the reaction. "I told you to stop that!"

Kongpob just smiles at him. He knows he wouldn't be hurt since Arthit is there.

He faces his friend again. "I have an idea, Wad, but I need to ask P'Arthit first."

He runs back to his boyfriend and grabs his arm. He whispers something to his ear, which makes Arthit check his watch and nod.

"Are you sure, Kong?"

"Yes, P'."

"Okay," Arthit starts. "Kongpob and I have a solution for our two lovebirds here."

"Thank you for the solution, but I need you to shut up," Prem says. Wad kicks his leg.

"Miss," Arthit faces the receptionist. "Our table will be reserved until 11, right?"

"Yes, Mr. Rojnapat."

"We've decided to give the reservation to them, the second half. We're almost done anyway."

The receptionist nods as she makes changes on her computer.

"Really?" Prem asks.

"Yes, but you'll have to pay Kongpob for the reservation."

"P'Arthit, there's no need," Kongpob says. "It's now our gift to you, Wad and P'Prem. Happy Valentine's day!"

Wad wants the earth to swallow him whole, and Prem doesn't know how to react.

"Happy Valentine's day!" Arthit teasingly greets them.

"Hehe, thank you, Arthit, Nong Kongpob," Prem suddenly changes his tone. The angry hazer is gone.

"Thank you," Wad shyly follows.

"You're welcome," Kongpob says.

"We'll just settle our bill and have the table cleaned up for you," Arthit says. "Just wait here."

The two nod as they watch the other couple go back inside. Wad pulls his boyfriend aside so he can talk to the receptionist. His voice is too soft, so no one else hears, but it appears he's apologizing in behalf of Prem.

"P'Arthit, did you know about them?" Kongpob asks as they go back to their table.

"No."

"Me too."

After paying their bill, they get back to the reception area where Wad and Prem are waiting.

"Prem, everything's settled now. You can go inside."

"Thanks, man."

"Yes, man, but you need to talk with me tomorrow," Arthit says, raising his brow.

Prem slowly nods. He was about to tell him about his relationship with Wad during the Thank You Party, but he backed out. Well, now, they're busted, so he has no other choice. "Just... keep it as our secret for now."

"I know that. Don't worry."

Arthit, then, taps Wad's shoulder and whispers something to him that makes him laugh, which is unusual for Wad. Prem gives them a questioning look, but Wad just shakes his head. Arthit acts like he didn't say anything.

"Enjoy your night, P'Prem!" Kongpob teases. "And Wad, I'll text you later!" He winks at him.

After teasing the other couple, Arthit and Kongpob run towards the road and hail a cab that will take them home.

"That's... surprising, P'."

"I know."

"So... P'Arthit, about the love letter..."

"Shut up! Open it once you're home."




 

____________________________

A/N:

soosuxx: i know... i at ending things lmao i hope you enjoyed this story even by a bit