Knowing Eyes

First Weeks and Friends


How could it be possible? Arthit extremely hates 0062. Whenever he's mentioned, his face always seems like it's about to explode.

Prem thought the reason he wouldn't be able to sleep last night was the same reason as the other nights, his boyfriend. But last night was different. He couldn't brain how Arthit might be dating Kongpob. He couldn't even wrap his mind around the idea that Arthit is gay.

I shouldn't be thinking about this now.

Prem is eating lunch with his friends at the Engineering faculty's cafeteria. He's right. He shouldn't be thinking about it right now since Arthit is right beside him.

Arthit looks like the usual Arthit to him. His default scary face is on. That's normal. He steps on Bright's foot when Bright grabbed the last piece of his chicken. That's normal. He doesn't laugh at Tutah's green jokes. That's normal.

Maybe, he and Wad are wrong.

"Hey, Nong!" Bright's voice is so loud. After all these years, Prem should already be used to it. He sees their juniors coming. It's M and his group of friends: Tew, Kongpob, and Oak.

Prem looks at them and notices Kongpob searching for someone at their table. When Kongpob finds Arthit, he briefly smiles.

And Arthit smiles at him too. That's NOT normal.

Maybe, he and Wad are right.

"You can sit here. We're done," Bright continues.

"Really? Thank you so much." M's small voice is really funny to Prem's ears.

Bright looks at Prem. "Dude, finish your food already." Then he looks at Arthit. "You too. We must take care of these juniors. We're done eating. Let's move."

Knowing Bright for three years now, Prem has an idea what his friend is trying to do. He looks at Arthit. It's obvious he also knows what Bright is up to.

Arthit finally speaks, "Stop it, you Bright. I know what you're thinking. At the end of this month, there's a Thank You Party. You're trying to please them so that they buy you gifts!"

Prem and Arthit really have the same mind. The former always wonders why they are not the best of friends in their group. He guesses it's because both of them are short-tempered. But now, they have another thing in common.

M and his friends look confused.

"Damn you, all. Why do you have to spoil my plan?" Bright blurts out, frustrated.

"Nong M."

"Yes, P'Bright?"

"Two boxes of chocolates. If you don't know where to get them, call me. Okay?"

He's really shameless.

"Uh... Okay." M will not dare oppose his senior. He already heard about the Thank You Party, but he didn't know it's a big deal.

Bright asks all his friends to get up to make room for M and his friends. Then, they're gone.

Except for one.

Where's Arthit?

Prem sees Arthit go back to the table, approaching Kongpob before he's able to sit. Prem slows down so that he can hear what they will be talking about. He hears Arthit clear his throat:

"Uh... Kongpob, are you free this Saturday?"

Kongpob nods, "I am."

"Well..."

Kongpob is not the only one waiting for what Arthit's about to say.

"...Well, I have something to buy... and... if you don't have any plan, do you mind going with me?"

This is really NOT normal. Arthit doesn't even ask us to accompany him if he wants to buy something!

He notices Kongpob's wide smile. It's the same smile he saw last night.

"Absolutely," Kongpob answers.

"Well then, see you on Saturday at 11 AM."

"Wait a minute... Can I take this... as you are asking me out on a date?"

Prem doesn't usually like Kongpob's confidence, but he likes it this time.

"No, it's not!" Arthit defends.

From where Prem is standing, Arthit's red ears are so obvious. Arthit turns around and walks towards him. The rest of his face is also red.

Prem tries to act like he's playing with his phone. He feels Arthit's arm around his shoulders. "Let's go." He didn't know Arthit is capable of smiling like this. What did 0062 do to our Arthit?

The thing is, Prem is not concerned about Arthit and Kongpob dating. He may be surprised, but he is and never will be against it. He's actually happy that he has someone in his group of friends whom he can confide to. (He doesn't count Toota since he knows Toota doesn't enter relationships.)

He also doesn't feel betrayed since he is basically doing the same thing to his friends. Of all people, he is the one who truly understands Arthit's situation now. But still, he is curious why Arthit is not telling them anything. Does he think we will make fun of him?

That's the reason Prem himself has.

~

After eating their lunch, Kongpob and his friends go to their next class. Wad sits next to him.

"Hey, Wad. You look happy today." Unlike most people, Wad is not fond of smiling. His default face is not a face, though. It's more like a blank face. That's why it's unusual for Kongpob to see him smiling like this.

While waiting for their professor, Kongpob brings out his phone and texts Arthit.

While waiting for their professor, Kongpob brings out his phone and texts Arthit     

He notices Wad looking at him, still sporting that unusual smile.

"Do you need something, Wad?" he asks.

Wad just shakes his head, but he's still smiling. Kongpob, not really knowing how to deal with this friend of theirs, just shrugs.

His phone vibrates. Noticing Kongpob's obvious excitement, Wad silently chuckles on his own. The other has a reason to be excited, though, because Arthit texted back.

The other has a reason to be excited, though, because Arthit texted back     

Kongpob sighs. One these days, Arthit will text him that he misses him too.

Shaking his head, he keeps his phone in his pocket.

Wad is still smiling at him.