[vrene] Scenery

The day we met (oneshot collection)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~ Scenery, Vrene ~

 

 

“Are you really going to disgrace our family this way???” the loud voice from the caller made the barely sober lady squirmed in agitation. “Your wedding is in 2 days, but you have the guts to run off without a word?? Are you doing any justice to Suho???”

 

“Eomma, you don’t even know what happened and is happening!” the lady flared up as she seated straight on her seat, determine to fight this battle with her mother upon hearing her last question. “Your daughter just got dumped into the trash bin by Kim Suho, is that clear? That d*ck have another woman all this while and she’s pregnant. Our wedding is cancelled, I repeat is CANCELLED!”

 

“Bae Joohyun…”

 

Her sudden outburst caused a commotion in the club and the bartender before her was surprised as her delicate exterior doesn’t portray to be like this. People in the club nearby the bar area was attracted by her loud tele-conversation. Downing another glass of the hard liquor, she wasn’t quite aware that she was in a den with lions watching her. Leaning over to the bar top, she slouched on it, resting her face on the cold marble top. The dark neon lights above her illuminated her sadness as she recalled that world-shattering night.

 

It took years for them to finally come to a decision on settling down and to put on a tick to their ‘life to-do list – getting married’. Joohyun and Suho had been childhood friends for their parents went to the same school and it was only right for them to end up together to complete the fairy tale. That night, it was their 3rd anniversary and she was waiting patiently for the man she would be giving her whole lifetime to. Just like the past years, she would be waiting at the restaurant, same table. Checking on her phone for the 17th time in that short 2 hours, she wondered what’s holding him back for him to be late for almost 2 hours which he usually doesn’t.

 

“Oppa, are you caught up with work?” she finally got through the line after several attempts. “Do you want me to pack some food and bring to your office?”

 

“I’m 10 minutes away.” Suho replied and hung up, curtly.

 

Joohyun’s heart skipped a beat upon listening to his cold voice. Within 10 minutes Suho arrived at the restaurant looking anxious. The usual him, he would have come in with a bouquet of flower but to her surprise, he walked in hastily and took a seat opposite her with an evident frown on his face.

 

“You could have told me if you’re busy,” she poured the red wine for her fiancé, “It’s just another anniversary. We don’t have to celebrate, after all we are getting married in a week’s time.”

 

Suho took hold of the wine glass and gulped down in a second, “there’s something I need to talk to you.”

 

“Let’s order first, I bet you skipped your lunch. You need to stop this bad habit.”

 

Before Joohyun could raise her hand to call for the waiter, Suho leaned in and grabbed hold on her hand to stopped her. “I’m not here to have a candlelight dinner with you. It’ll be fast, I’ll say what I need to say and end this.”

 

She pulled back her hand in fear when he released her.

 

Putting the ring box on the table, Suho avoided her eye contact “I can’t marry you. I’d been together with Nayeon for the past year and she’s having my baby.”

 

“Stop,” she held on Suho hand, stopping him from saying more. “Is this some kind of prank video, did some variety show guy request you to shoot something…” she wasn’t even sure what she was saying but what Suho said to her was something that’s even harder for her to understand and she don’t want to comprehend the meaning of it.

 

Turning to the big glass panel, Suho eyes were plastered on the pint-sized lady who stood by the street, leaning against his car, seemingly waiting for him. Joohyun too turned to averted her attention to the direction her fiancé was looking at. Her tummy was evident, tears gradually pooled her eyes.

 

She lowered her head, “how could you be this cruel to me? Then why did you proposed to me and make all those pre-arrangement for the wedding? This didn’t happen a week ago, we’re getting married next week and you’re telling me this. How do you expect me to face all this?”

 

“I’m sorry, Joohyun.”

 

“This apology is too expensive for me to accept,” her hands were shaking, she brought it down to her lap “how do you want me to tell our relatives? How could you do this?” she repeated again.

 

“Joohyun, I’ve always seen you as my sister but our parents think otherwise…”

 

“Sister? You’ve been with me for 3 years, we knew each other for ages and you’re only telling me now that I’m only your sister after all that we have prepared?” she flared up, voice turning louder as time passed. “Kim Suho, next week is our wedding.”

 

“I’m leaving with Nayeon tomorrow, we won’t be back for a long time. I’m sorry for misleading you all these years. Bye Joohyun.” He got up and left the restaurant that they both have made memories over the past 3 years.

 

Holding tightly on her glass, she gulped down the bitter liquid hardly in hope that all the bad memories would too vanish and stop tormenting her. After time and again repeating the same motion of emptying the bottles of alcohol, she beginning to feel her head becoming heavier and her visions were blurring. Grabbing hold of her bag, she tried to make her way to the exit. She was grabbing and holding on anything that she could reach to ensure herself walking in a straight line. Getting out from the club, she finally found herself in the busy street of Sapporo, walking aimlessly.

 

“Ouch…” she shrieked when she clumsily knocked herself on one of the bystanders who was taking photograph of the night view. Her crossbody clutch dropped on the floor in between the flowers along the street, with all the items inside falling out. “Suho?” she squinted her eyes and held on the man’s face, bringing him closer to her face, “Suho oppa, are you Suho? Why are you here?”

 

The man stared at her, eyes widened “Miss…”

 

Before he could react further, a man came running out from the club, encircled his arm around her petite waist and pulled her back. “I’m sorry for my girlfriend carelessness.” The Japanese man tried pulling Joohyun back but she was struggling to break free.

 

She was holding on the photographer’s shirt tightly and repeating the same name in tears. He was sure Joohyun was terribly drunk and would be blackout anytime soon and with her speaking Korean, his intuition was telling him that the man was up to nothing good. He was obviously taking advantage of the drunk lady from the way his hand moves around her.

 

“Jagiya, why did you drink so much. I’m sorry for making you sad, I won’t neglect you anymore,” he secured his arm around her shoulder, pulling her away from the Japanese man.

 

Joohyun keep repeating the same mumbles and held on his shoulder, blowing hot air on his neck “oppa, don’t leave me please.”

 

The man was frightened when he noticed them conversing the same language and immediately left the two without another word. When Joohyun put all her weight on the photographer, he instantly squatted down and tried to gathered all the items that fell out from her sling bag.

 

“Miss, where do you stay?”

 

“Oppa…I love you…don’t leave me…” she maffled against his chest.

 

“Aish…what did I got myself into?” as he put everything back into her bag, he noticed a pen with a hotel name printed on it. “Guess this is where you’re staying.”

 

“Oppa…” her whiny voice was slowly getting on his nerves.

 

“Yah…stop blowing on my neck,” he tilted his head trying his best to keep a distance from her. “How did you even get this drunk?”

 

“Taehyung-ssi…”

 

He looked up to his usual private cab driver, relieved “I know what’s in your mind but no questions. First, help me to get this drunk into the car. Second, leave this place immediately.”

 

“Alright,” the man in his mid-forty helped Taehyung to get Joohyun into the cab before running back to the driver seat.

 

After numerous pushes and pulls on the lady, they finally got to drove off from the busy street. The driver hesitated to ask but it was his duty to keep him safe, “Taehyung-ssi, do you need to get help from the agency?”

 

Taehyung shook his head, “no worries, if I don’t help her, that man could have taken advantage of her. She’s a Korean and I think she stays in the same hotel as I do. We’ll just get her back to the hotel safely.”

 

“Why is this bumpy and hot!!” she held on the tight collar of her dress and beginning to fan herself. “It’s too hot, oppa!!!”

 

“Miss, it’s winter, the heater is .” The driver answered.

 

“Yah…keep quiet,” Taehyung frowned and when he turned to her, he was surprised by how she was pulling her collar. “Stop it,” he held on her hand. “Ajuhssi, turn on the air-cond. Can you please stop? Woman do you behave like this every time?”

 

Suddenly, Joohyun stopped and looked straight into Taehyung’s eyes which send goosebumps to the poor man.

 

“What now?” surprised by her sudden silence, he frowned and stared at the uncontrollable lady.

 

“I feel like vomiting,” she pursed her lips and grasped on his wrist.

 

“No, you can’t…don’t…ahhh!!!!”

 

-

 

“Sir, is there anything that I can help you?” the staff at the hotel reception asked as she eyed on the familiar man while holding her breath to avoid inhaling the bad smell coming from the pair.

 

“This lady here, I believe she is your hotel guest but I don’t know which room she’s staying. I need you to check it out,” Taehyung said speedily and passed her passport to the staff.

 

“Sir, this is against our hotel’s rules, we can’t reveal our guests’ details.”

 

Removing his shade impatiently, he forced out a smile “please, check it out. I picked her up on the street and if anything happens to her, are you going to be responsible? I’m not kidnapping her but I need someone to her back to her room safely.”

 

“I’m sorry Mr. Kim, I’ll get her room number immediately.”

 

Entering her room finally after 20 minutes cross-checking and confirming her details, the housekeeping staff assisted Taehyung with the drunken Joohyun. He removed his jacket and got a warm towel from the bathroom. He sighed while placing the warm towel on her forehead “dumb lady, do you know how dangerous you were out there?” he shook his head.

 

“I’ll leave her to you,” he looked up to the housekeeping lady. “I guess, she’s in good hand now.”

 

“Don’t worry Sir, we’ll take care of her.”

 

“Arigato,” he bowed and exited the room.

 

-

 

The next morning, Joohyun got up with a severe headache. She wasn’t sure what exactly happened last night as the only recent memory she has was the last phone call she had with her mother and nonstop drinking of endless glasses of ‘Whisky’. Running into the toilet in fear, she noticed her hair was untied, she was changed into her pyjamas.

 

“Bae Joohyun…Bae Joohyun,” she repeated her name and kept knocking on her temple, trying hard to recall what happened last night. “How could you just blackout in a foreign country, what did I do last night? Who changed my dress?”

 

Just when she was about to remember the tiniest fragment of her blurry memory, the doorbell rang and made her jumped a little from the sudden intrusion to her train of thoughts. She opened the door to see the housekeeping lady in her mid-fifty stood by her doorway.

 

Tilting her head, she asked “I didn’t ask for any assistance, did you get the wrong room?”

 

“Miss Bae, I came here to return your dress, we sent it for dry cleaning last night.” The lady passed the paper bag to Joohyun. “Are you feeling better?”

 

“You were the one who undressed me last night?” her eyes widened.

 

“Yes, me and another colleague of mine, assisted you last night.”

 

“Do you have few minutes to spare, I just need to ask a few questions.”

 

“Sure,” the lady entered the room.

 

“I know I got drunk last night,” she hesitated, embarrassed to post the questions that were disturbing her since the very minute she got up.

 

“Miss Bae, you can ask anything that you want. You want to know how you got back?”

 

“Yes,” she held on the lady hand. “Could you tell me what happened last night?”

 

The lady smiled warmly, “when we met you, you were with a male guest who happened to be our hotel guest. He saw you on the street alone and found out that you are our hotel guest so, he sent you back. Young lady, you’re lucky that you met a gentleman. He insisted the hotel to get someone you back into your room and make sure you’re safe before leaving. Besides, I guessed you’ve vomited on him as well. When both of you came back, the smell was bad.”

 

Joohyun looked at the lady with opened agape in shock, she was feeling embarrassed knowing that she might have cause a scene to a stranger last night.

 

“Young lady, you shouldn’t drink so much if your alcohol tolerance is not that strong.”

 

“Is that his jacket?” Joohyun pointed at the messed-up jacket lying on the couch. Taking hold of it in disgust, she asked “could you help me to send this for laundry? And do you have the room number or contacts of that guy? I believe it’s only right that I thank him personally after all the mess that I’ve caused.

 

Grabbing hold on the dirtied jacket, the lady hesitated “he’s not a normal and usual person that everybody can near him easily. Or you can write a thank you note, and I’ll pass it to him on your behalf.”

 

“Is he a politician?”

 

The lady chuckled, “that’s a very random guess.”

 

Knowing that she would not reveal more details to her, Joohyun said “looks like that’s the only way to thank him. Could you give me a moment, I’ll quickly get the note done.”

 

-

 

“Coming…” Taehyung ran out from the toilet when the doorbell rang continuously. “Oh, hi Aunt Inoue…”

 

The lady bowed “Mr. Kim, here’s your jacket. The lady you helped last night have paid for the laundry service and she left a thank you note for you too.”

 

Holding on the door, he rested the back of his forearm on the doorframe “I see, how is she today?”

 

“She was rather worried,” the lady trying hard not to have a wide smile on face “she doesn’t remember a single thing that happened last night. But she did ask for your contact details so that she could thank you personally.”

 

Taehyung smiled while lowering his head, knowing well that the lady would have handle such request well. “I believe you’ve turned down her request.”

 

“That’s why she left a note for you,” passing the bag to the lively man, she said “if there’s nothing else that you need, I shall get back to my work.”

 

“Thanks a lot Aunt Inoue.” Closing the door, Taehyung can’t help but to be interested with the contents of the note. He took a seat on the couch and check on the note in the bag. He was immediately captivated by her unique handwriting.

 

‘Hi sir, I heard that you are a politician that’s why it’s not convenient for you to disclose your contact details. First of all, I’m really sorry to bring you so much trouble last night. Guess I was really messed up that a bystander like you can’t stand but to dragged me back to the hotel. Thank you for saving me, if I may ask, do you mind to let me treat you for a meal? I’ll still be residing in this hotel till this weekend and I’m sure you know my room number. Just let me know if you wish to have a meal together. Arigato gozaimasu. Regards, Joohyun.'

 

“This woman is really strange, which part of me look like a politician?” Taehyung laughed, silently “you don’t even know me but you’re already asking me out for a date? Interesting…”

 

Before he could continue with his unfinished work in the toilet, his phone rang and from the ringtone, he knew that’s a call from .

 

“Yes, Park Jimin…”

 

“I thought you wouldn’t answer,” the caller sneered, unimpressed with Taehyung’s tone of voice.

 

“I was just about to shave but there’re so many interruptions,” Taehyung chuckled. “I didn’t ignore your call.”

 

“You can always return the call you missed,” Jimin was hard on him this time.

 

“I’m sorry, buddy…”

 

Jimin sighed “I knew something it’s not right when you insisted to travel by yourself without a manager. So what’s up with that drunken lady’s commotion last night? Don’t even think about lying, tell me everything.”

 

“Since when did you take over Sejin hyung’s role,” Taehyung slumped on his bed, knowing his best friend and bandmate would drill him max through the phone call.

 

“I’m just worried about you,” Jimin heaved a heavy sigh “It’s unlike the Kim Taehyung I know for decade for him to bring a random woman back to the hotel, something must have happened.”

 

“That’s a better tone,” Taehyung chortled.

 

“Idiot,” Jimin almost cursed, “quick, tell me the truth.”

 

It took Taehyung 15 minutes to simplified and briefed Jimin about the incident last night and he could sense his friend’s uneasiness.

 

“So you decided to be her hero and send her back,” Jimin sounded annoyed “that’s so dangerous, reporters could have taken your photos and make a big hoo-ha out of it. She must be insanely beautiful for you to risked yourself.”

 

“NO…but if I didn’t help her, that man could have eaten her alive,” Taehyung tried defending himself. “It’s not about her beauty it’s about I know what’s going on and I can’t just let it slide.”

 

“Be honest, is she pretty?”

 

“She’s indeed beautiful.”

 

“Great, you answered in less than a second.”

 

“Oh…come on, Park Jimin,” Taehyung scratched his head in frustration. “Stop creating a cringy romance story for me. I don’t need that yet.”

 

“That’s the problem, let me remind you again,” Jimin’s voice softened, “6 of us are married men now, even Jungkook is having his wedding this year end and that makes you the last bachelor in BTS. Media eyes are all on you. And how can you be so sure that lady is so innocent? She could have been a sasaeng.”

 

“Jimin-ah, you worried too much, I don’t think she’s a sasaeng.”

 

“Well, I’ve said I want to say, just be extra careful. We won’t want to see you get involved in a negative scandal. This hotel is safe but unexpected things could happen.” Jimin said, firmly. “Jin hyung will be back from his honeymoon soon, and that means your freedom is coming to an end too. Stay safe till the day you return to Korea, buddy.”

 

“You’ve become too naggy lately, is that how a man changes when they are married and with kids?”

 

“Shut up, I’ll see you soon.”

 

“Bye.”

 

Looking at the thank you note once again, he was feeling strangely attracted to it. After the conversation with Jimin, he contemplated whether to reply to her note as a kind gesture or to just ignore it as he wouldn’t be meeting her again after all.

 

-

 

Joohyun roamed around the street aimlessly after having a lunch at the ramen shop, she walked passed a park. Almost instantly, she was mesmerized by the winter flowers in the park. Wanting to take a selfie of herself, she stretched out her hand but blame her short hand, she wasn’t able to take the shot with a wide angle to capture all the flowers behind her. Out of the blue, she felt her phone slid away from her hand and it increased her heartbeat more when she heard a man called her name. She whirled around only to see the small gap between her and the tall man standing behind her, dumbfounded by the clicking sound of his camera.

 

“Bae Joohyun-ssi…let me lend you a hand…” he lowered his hand while checking on the photo he just took before looking up to the petite lady, “you looked so much better when you’re sober.”

 

“You know me?” she stared at the stranger with her round widened eyes.

 

He took out the thank you note and flashed before her “the politician you thanked this morning.”

 

“You’re the guy who saved me last night?” she pointed at him, excited.

 

“Well, you created a big mess…” he shoved his hand back to his jacket pocket and continued “don’t you know how dangerous it is to be drunk and alone on a street, especially for travellers in a foreign country.”

 

“What did I do to you?” she bit her lower lip, embarrassingly.

 

He raised a brow “You don’t remember a single thing?”

 

She shook her head “no…anyway, I think it’s nothing great I should remember,” she mumbled silently. “Let me buy you a dinner for saving me.”

 

“Do you always trust stranger so easily?”

 

Joohyun wasn’t sure why, but his wide smile definitely has made her face turned red. She could feel her heart thumping against her chest.

 

“You’re not even sure if I am the person who saved you and even if I’m the one, I may have my own motive for nearing you, aren’t you afraid of that?” he leaned closer to her.

 

“You would have taken advantage of me last night if you want since I wasn’t even conscious.”

 

“That’s right,” he giggled and moved closer to her ear and whispered “maybe I prefer reactions, with you responding to my advances.”

 

Joohyun stepped back and looked at him in fear.

 

He laughed and flicked his finger on her forehead, “I was just joking, what were you thinking? So where do you want to bring me to?”

 

She let out the breath she was holding in fright, “I’ll let you choose.”

 

He nodded, “follow me then…”

 

Standing at the doorstep of the Japanese ancient designed restaurant by the Lake Shikotsu, Joohyun knew the bill for tonight’s dinner would surprise her even more.

 

“Could you get me the private room?”

 

“Sure, but just to inform you, there would be extra charges for private rooms.”

 

He nodded, “it’s fine, please lead the way.”

 

The waitress bowed, “this way, please.”

 

“Wait,” Joohyun grasped on his arm, pulling him back “I’m really grateful to you but can we not get things that will incur unnecessary charges? Normal tables are great too, with good scenery view.”

 

“I’ll pay for the extra charges, I can’t be seen by people,” he muttered under his mask and followed the waitress with hasten footsteps.

 

After placing their orders and when he was sure the waitress left, he removed his mask and scarf before taking a sip of the hot tea that was served to them when they entered the private room.

 

“Are you sick?”

 

His eyelids moved up looking into her eyes whilst still sipping on his tea.

 

“Or are you contesting for the next election that’s why you can’t be seen by public?”

 

He almost choked upon hearing her next question. “For real?” he put his tea on the table and looked up at her, closely “you don’t recognize who am I?”

 

“I’m not a citizen of Japan, not familiar with the politics stuff here.”

 

He rolled his eyes, “NO, I’m not a politician. My name is Kim Taehyung, V from BTS. Do you know, BTS?”

 

She shook her head, slowly “behind the scene?”

 

Taehyung was baffled by her calmness after listening to his introduction. “I’m a Korean idol but we are still on a short hiatus cause one of my members is on his honeymoon trip.” Feeling annoyed by her indifferent expression, he snickered “by the way, our group have 7 guys. We are pretty huge domestically and internationally, you really don’t know?”

 

Joohyun somehow noticed she might have offended him in some way, she bowed her head “Sorry, I’m not a person who would check on entertainment news. I’m a music teacher.”

 

“Music…your job is music related, how can you not know?”

 

“I teach small kids…”

 

“Tch,” Taehyung pouted, childishly. “Anyway, that’s better, I don’t have to worry about you spreading unnecessary news about my trip.”

 

While waiting for their food, Joohyun checked on the photos Taehyung took in his camera. “Woah, they are all so well taken. Your photography skills are really good. I’m so jealous.”

 

He smiled watching Joohyun’s reaction to his photos, he was satisfied.

 

“Do you think…” she hesitated, “you can teach me?”

 

“Nope,” he immediately rejected her and turned to the waitress who was serving their food.

 

They silently enjoyed their food and when he noticed awkward silence in the room, he cleared his throat trying to get the attention of the girl before him.

 

“Why did you drink so much when your alcohol tolerance is so low?”

 

“The salmon are so fresh,” she stuffed scoops of rice into , very obviously dodging his question.

 

“So, you’re travelling alone? What’s your plan next, till weekend?” he turned to her when he received no reply, she was staring still on her vibrating phone.

 

“Sorry, I’m going to the washroom…”

 

Checking on the dishes he ordered on the non-official receipt, Taehyung thought of clearing the bill before Joohyun return from the washroom. As he put his card back into his wallet, he was distracted by the familiar voice. It was Joohyun, her voice was shaky.

 

“Eomma, I’m telling you for the last time. We’re not getting married anymore, that man doesn’t want your daughter. I didn’t run away, I just don’t want to waste this trip, I’ve paid all of it.” Joohyun covered , trying hard to hold back her tears “please stop asking me about our wedding, it will never happen.”

 

Startled by the sudden revelation, Taehyung quickly got back into the room when he saw Joohyun ended the call. He didn’t mean to eavesdropped her conversation but at that very minute, he wanted to know what exactly happened to her and that phone call gav

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter