Promise at the Station ❁

Ephemeral
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The Promise at the Station

 

*.☽.*
 



2:24 AM

I felt him leaving the bed

…but I did not dare move and give him the hint that just like him, I couldn’t sleep as well. That I might probably never sleep tonight at all. Not after what happened tonight, not after the confrontation with Ara and discovering the photos. I had been anxious a lot lately but I was the most anxious now.

How do we get through this? Is it even possible?
I never thought things would come to this.

Overthinking, I thought of a lot of things. I even thought of going home right at the very instant but that would be crazy. I would only cause another problem if I get lost and get myself into another trouble, not that I wasn’t already.

I could feel that void behind my chest again, the one that seemed to every little amount of positivity I have left. I hate feeling this, I hate that it seemed to drown me. It’s suffocating like everything was closing in. I could barely breathe, so I got up and inhaled to fill my lungs with air. But it wasn’t enough as I felt my throat run dry.

I got off the bed as I decided to get myself a glass of water and slowly made my way out of the room then down to the kitchen.

Right after drinking, I wondered how I didn’t see him around. I thought he’d be in the living room or somewhere but he wasn’t.

Did he go somewhere?

I looked for him everywhere but I couldn’t find him. I even went to his study room but it was unoccupied as well. Worried, I went back to his room. I sat on the bed for a few minutes, spacing out a few times before I eventually lay down. Looking at the blank and dim ceiling, I thought of one thing… Eun Chan.

It has to be him. He’s behind those photos. There was no way this wasn’t his doing.
Maybe I could talk to him and convince him…

And where’s Baekhyun? Did he have to go somewhere at this time? If yes, then this was serious. Well obviously it already was but… I sighed gloomily.

I shut my eyes closed, I just wanted to sleep, drift away and forget about this for a moment. I couldn’t stand to think about what was happening for another second. It felt like I was going to lose my mind any moment from now.

I didn’t want any of this. I’ve lived an ordinary life and to be a part of this controversy was something my ordinary self could decipher. I wanted to call someone, someone I could talk to. My sister, or Lizzie or Auntie… but it’s two in the morning.

Baekhyun. I came to think about him again.

Where is he? Did he leave me? Is he coming back?

I felt so helpless now and I kept praying for a miracle that could get me to sleep.
Sleep, I have never been desperate to fall asleep until now.


*.☽.*

I didn’t know what time was it already when I felt him pull me in his arms. His familiar scent immediately filled my half-awake senses. I was too sleepy to open my eyes while I snuggle against him. He enveloped me with his arms and I was about to indulge in his warmth when I heard him speak.

“Don’t leave me.”

My half-conscious mind nevertheless absorbed what he just said and brought that familiar sinking feeling behind my chest.

I felt him plant a kiss on my forehead.

Oh, Baekhyun.


*.☽.*

I cooked breakfast for him in the morning. We were in the kitchen and the whole time that I was busy preparing for something to eat, I noticed how he spaced out a few times. I didn’t know what time he went back to bed last night. He looked like he didn’t have enough sleep.

“Where did you go last night?” I asked him, trying to sound casual.

“I…” He trailed off. “I went to see Kyungsoo.”

“Why?”

“I asked him to help me out with something.” He reasoned out. “I’m sorry, I didn’t tell you.”

“It’s okay. I’m just worried you didn’t get enough sleep.”

He got up and went to stand behind me. Without a warning, he draped his hands on my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder.

“I wouldn’t be able to sleep anyway after what happened last night.”

He’s right.

“Is there something I could do to help Baek?”

“Just stay by my side.” He answered, his voice soft. “Will you?”

I nodded.

His phone rang but before letting me go, he planted a small kiss on my cheek.


*.☽.*

He’s been on the phone most of the time.

Manager Kang came by and they talked in his study room for over an hour. I stayed in his room most of the time and had been contemplating whether to contact Eun Chan or not. After a fifteen-minute debate with myself, I ended up sending him a message to meet me. When he agreed, I went to tell Baekhyun that I have to go out to get myself something really important. I couldn’t tell him about Eun Chan and just had to make up a lame excuse. He had a lot on his plate right now and I wanted to make sure this was not one of them.

He did not sound convinced when I talked to him. He didn’t want me to go out afraid that something might happen to me but I insisted that it was something very necessary. He even offered to go with me but Manager Kang stopped him telling him that he shouldn’t be seen outside right now.

Later on, I got him to allow me by asking Mr. Yoo to drive me to my destination, which I agreed to. I thought it’s better than not being able to go out at all.

When I was in the car with Mr. Yoo, I asked him to drop me by at a particular address. He immediately wondered what I was going to do there since the place turned out to be a park. For some reason, I told Mr. Yoo that I was meeting someone but asked him not to tell Baekhyun.

He, of course, wasn’t comfortable with the idea that I was keeping this from Baekhyun but I explained how I didn’t want to burden him anymore. The man thankfully seemed to understand me. He even told me to send him a message in case I need him.

“I’ll wait for you in the car Miss Park.”

“Yes, Mr. Yoo. Thank you.”


*.☽.*

1:15 PM

It was cold.

I was wearing a thick sweater, scarf, pants, and winter boots with a padded jacket over them. My hair was up in a loose ponytail which I somehow regretted since my face was exposed to the chilly wind.

I walked towards the aligned benches of the park when Eun Chan and I agreed to meet. There were only a few people in the park and it was indeed a suitable place. I sat on one of the benches as I waited for him. I felt uncomfortable, trying to think of what to tell him. I didn’t know how this would go. If he was indeed the one behind this, I would never forgive him.

He arrived about seven minutes later. He looked very different, he was wearing a coat and tie with a black overcoat, exuding a very different aura from the one I had in mind.

We both gazed at each other for a few seconds until I looked away.

“Should I be happy that you wanted to see me?” He asked, shoving his hands in his pockets.

“It’s you,” I told him right away. “Right? You were the one who sent the photos.”

“Yes.” He admitted and I was surprised by how he didn’t even try to deny it.

I was hurt. I couldn’t believe he could do something like this. Was he the same man I used to adore and grew up with?

“How could you do this to me?”

“I’m doing this to save you.” He replied nonchalantly.

“Save me from what?!” I said in a loud voice as my anger started to build up.

He looked slightly taken aback by my reaction, he took his hands off his pockets and made a few steps towards me.

“From him.”

“My god Eun Chan…” I trailed off to brush my hair away from my face. “Can’t you see?” I looked at him intently. “He’s all I ever want. And I don’t care what else I had to go through-”

I stopped talking when I saw him smirking sarcastically.

“Can you hear yourself right now Hae Won?” He asked. “This is not you. Can’t you see what have you become?”

I couldn’t believe he was the one telling me this.

“No, Eun Chan…you. What have you become?”

He did not reply, he momentarily looked away instead. I waited for him to turn to me and say something but his reply wasn’t something I had expected.

“I’m trying to make you see how difficult your life with him is and how easy it will be with me.”

No. My heart sank.
How is he this selfish?

“That’s not how it works,” I answered.

“No.” His reply came quickly as he moved closer to me and stopped when he was right in front of me.

He grabbed my arm and looked at me intently and I was too caught off guard to say anything nor break free from him.

“Hae Won, you gotta wake up. I can save you from all of this. I can tell them not to release the photos and it won’t do any damage to you or him. I can even help with the issue he has with Ara. I can help cover it up if you ask me to. All you have to do is to break up with him.” He instructed breathlessly.

I took a few seconds to stare at him and realized how he had become a stranger to me.
I don’t know him anymore. He’s not the man in my memory. He had become a monster.

“I am not breaking up with him,” I said in a firm voice, tears forming in my eyes. 

His hold on me loosened until he finally let me go. He took a deep breath and mocked me by letting out a soft laugh.

“I told your parents.”

I held my breath.

He told who?

“I told them how you’re associated with someone involved with someone like him.”

He told my parents…I forced my brain to process the information.

“I even sent them some of the photos.” He added.

My blood suddenly ran cold thinking how my parents already knew about this. I couldn’t think properly, I couldn’t even breathe properly.

No. No. No. Not my family.

The silence was what took over between us the next couple of minutes. My knees weakened, my vision blurred due to the tears pooling in my eyes.

“Are you crazy?” I asked when I finally found my voice. “Why would you do that? Why are you doing this to me?” I added as I wiped my already tear-stained cheeks.

He just stared at me.

“Why Eun Chan!?” I said, almost yelling.

“Because I love you.”

I closed my eyes, filling my lungs with air.

“How can you call this love?” I asked when I opened my eyes and met his. “This is not love.” I moved my head sideways. “This is being selfish.”

He shrugged.

“Maybe this is me being selfish. But is it wrong when all I want to do is save the person I love from being hurt?”

I did not say anything. I was so angry, I couldn’t form coherent thoughts at the moment.

“Do you know how many harsh comments will you read every day about you once the photos are publicized? People will judge you and criticize you.” His eyes were piercing through mine. “How do you think I’d feel about that? Do you expect me to just sit and not do anything?”

“So blackmailing me is what you call saving?” I glared at him, my hands forming into fists on my side.

“If this is what it takes.” He stated. “Yes.”

I forced myself to stop crying, wiped my cheeks using the back of my hands.

“I never…” I paused to muster every bit of courage I had. “Loved you nor will I love you like I love Baekhyun,” I said, meaning every word that came out of my mouth.

He looked afflicted for a moment.

I didn’t wait for his reply anymore, I turned around to leave as I try to shut my ears when I heard him call me. I didn’t turn around but the next thing I knew, he grabbed me by the wrist and started to take me the other way.

I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter