Sweethearts in Aussie ❁

Ephemeral
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sweethearts in Aussie

*.☽.*






December 28th

5:24 PM AEDT

We were in my apartment in Sydney. Baekhyun was in my room sleeping because we left Korea only a couple of hours after his second Gayo appearance yesterday. He attended the first two that he was already scheduled to attend before leaving. He slept on the plane most of the time but given the jetlag, he might end up sleeping the whole night as well.

I went out for groceries and found him still sleeping when I got back. I asked him if he was hungry but all I got from him was his muffled groans. He must be so sleepy. I let out a small laugh and planted a light kiss on his cheek. I attempted to leave the bed but I felt him pull me to lay down next to him again.

Giving in to his request, I stayed with him for a while. He nuzzled his nose on the crook of my neck, his arm locking me in place. I listened to his steady breathing, gently brushing his hair.

Later on, my brain was filled with the thought of seeing my parents again. Honestly, I was very nervous. Baekhyun…I wasn’t sure how he felt about this whole trip. He got me surprised when he indeed agreed with the idea of meeting my family this soon. He must be as worried as I was or maybe more.

Sighing, I could only hope for everything to turn out fine.


*.☽.*

7:34 PM

My sister came over. I panicked fifteen minutes ago when I received a call from her saying she was on her way to my place. To think that I was already all rattled and tensed with my sister meeting Baekhyun then what about my parents?

Oh god, let me overcome this.

“I can’t believe you’re here now. Ugh, I missed you, I swear.” She exclaimed, pulling me into another hug.

Gosh, I missed her very much.

“And have you always been this pretty or you’re just way too in love?” She teased, leaning away.

“Well, I’d say…both?” I let out a small laugh.

“Oh my god.” Her eyes grew wide. “I love the confidence!” She added, laughing loudly. 

After a heartfelt reunion in the living room, we headed to the dining table to set the food she brought for us. Thankfully, she saved me from all the cooking. As expected, she asked where Baekhyun was, so I told her that he was still sleeping.

We talked a bit about how it was like living in Korea and how it’s like to be in a relationship with a celebrity.

“Bub…” She suddenly looked so excited. “You know what, I’ve been dying to meet Baekhyun. Can you like…you know wake him up or something?” She suggested.

Stifling a laugh, I stared at her.

“Eonnie…he’s tired, he went straight from a show and jetlag must be killing him right now.”

“Ugh.” She groaned. “Well… okay I understand but…” She trailed off as we sat in front of each other. “Okay, so when you confirmed that you were coming with him, I kinda did a lot of research about your boyfriend, and oh dear heavens!” Her face was all animated.  “He’s such a talented man, isn’t he? He dances and performs so damn well. And oh let’s not forget about his amazing voice!” She narrated, exclaiming her last few words.

Looks like Baekhyun earned another fan, I smiled at the thought.

“And I was like, oh my freaking god my little sis is one lucky woman!”

The enthusiasm in her tone caused me to burst into laughter. I was a bit surprised. I mean, I knew why she liked him but not to this extent. She was totally fangirling over him.

The kitchen was filled with our laughter as she continued to tease me.

“Anyway, what I’m trying to say here is I gotta see him ASAP bub. I’m too excited I cannot NOT see him now.

“You should know how hard it is for his fans to see him. Jihye even had to wait for years.”

“What? That’s a different story. Now c’mon let’s go to your room.” She announced.

I was taken aback when she stood and grabbed my hand, leading us to my room.

“Eonnie…what? Oh my god, what are you doing?” I asked her trying to stop her by standing between her and the door.

“Oh c’mon hun, we don’t have to wake him up.”

I almost forgot how crazy can she be.

“Okay,” I said sighing in defeat. “But please be very quiet Eonnie.”

“I promise.” She nodded eagerly.

With that, I latched my hand on the knob. Our steps were feather-light as we made our way inside. I could hear Baekhyun’s breathing as we neared my bed. It was a bit dark inside since the curtains were blocking the sunlight from the tempered glass wall.

“Turn the lights on.” My sister whispered pointing to the bedside lamp. “I wanna see his face.”

This was making me nervous really. That exact feeling when I had to sneak out of Aunt Sunny’s house to meet Baekhyun outside.

When I didn’t do as she instructed, she rolled her eyes and went for the lamp instead. She walked slowly towards the bedside table and in just a matter of seconds, I heard a clicking sound before the room was filled with a dim but cozy light from the lamp.

Baekhyun was lying on his stomach, his head facing her direction. She bent next to him and stared at his face. She did it for a few seconds before turning to me and mouthed a silent but exaggerated OH MY GOD. She was about to open again, causing me to panic. I made huge steps towards her from the foot of the bed where I was standing.

I was so scared she’ll wake him up and he’ll catch us sneaking around him like this. That’s gonna be so embarrassing.

I pulled her away, standing between her and the bed.

“Wait, wait…” Trying to push me to the side. “My god he’s VERY HANDSOME-” She stated, this time a bit louder.

My hand was fast to cover before she could wake him up. I intended to take her out of the room but froze when I suddenly felt a pair of hands on my waist.

I blinked my eyes a couple of times and in a split second, I was being pulled onto the bed. Letting go of my sister right away, I landed sitting on the mattress before he pulled me to lay down next to him. Startled in every aspect, I couldn’t do anything until I was already facing him on the bed, his arms wrapped around me. I rattled.

Oh my god. Oh my god.

“Why did you leave the bed so soon?” I heard him ask in a small but audible voice before he tightened his embrace.

I was a hundred percent sure my sister heard that and I just had to bite my lip. A voice in my head was yelling PARK HAE WON YOU’RE ON THE BED HUGGED BY YOUR BOYFRIEND IN FRONT OF YOUR SISTER.

Can the bed just eat me alive?

“I missed you.” He said in a muffled way.

My face turned so hot, I felt like imploding.

“Baek…” I muttered in a slightly broken voice.

“Hmm?”

“We’re…” I swallowed. “We’re not alone,” I told him and I watched how his brows furrowed but his eyes remained shut.

I cleared my throat. “My sister’s here.”

His eyes opened, meeting mine right away. His hands around me loosened as he probably finally noticed someone’s presence behind me. I watched his eyes grow wide as the shock was written all over his face. He swallowed before he scrambled away from me and stood on the other side of the bed.

He stood there in his plain white shirt, grey sweatpants, barefoot. His hair was sticking in all directions, his eyes still wide as he looked at me and then at my sister.

“Hi.” Alice greeted, breaking the silence. “Nice to meet you…Baekhyun.” 

He straightened his posture but it was so obvious that he was panicking inside. He opened his mouth to speak but no words came out.

Oh Baekhyun sweetie, I am so sorry.

­He looked at me as if asking for help. Not wasting any more time, I hurriedly went to him. However, we only stared at each other. I guess both our brains lagging so hard as of the moment.

“You know what?” My sister spoke, catching both of our attentions. “I think I’ll just go wait outside.”

“Yes PLEASE,” I said with gritted teeth.

“Okay, see you.” She chimed, waving at us before leaving the room. “See you later Baekhyun.” It was obvious that she was teasing her.

Oh my god, can she stop?

When the door closed behind her, I heard Baekhyun sigh loudly as he fell sitting on the bed.

“I think my soul just left my body.” He remarked, a hand on his chest.

I felt guilty. 

“Baek,” I uttered as I sat next to him. “I’m sorry, she was just so excited to see you. I tried to stop her but she’s just too…” I trailed off.

My reason sounded stupid even to me.

“I could’ve kissed you here and there not knowing she’s here with us.” He replied in a matter-of-fact tone, staring blankly on the curtains, his face and ears red.

He must be so embarrassed right now.

“I really shouldn’t have agreed with her.” I sighed.


*.☽.*

Living room.

Baekhyun and I sat on the couch in front of my sister at a relatively safe distance between us. Just looking at Baekhyun, I could sense how this was making him uncomfortable. Turning to my sister, I glared at her hoping she’d dismiss that crazy smile on her face.

“I’m…” Baekhyun cleared his throat. “I’m sorry about what happened back there.”

“Oh, no-no-no,” Alice replied waving her hands in front of us. “You don’t have to apologize about that I should be the one to say sorry. I was just so excited to meet you.” She reasoned out.

“I-I didn’t know you were here.” He stuttered a bit.  “If I had known, I would’ve been able to introduce myself properly…” He trailed off to brush his fingers through his hair. “And had given you a better impression and not being…” He paused to wet his lips. “Being a rattled, speechless dumb I was a while ago.”

Alice let out a small laugh.

“Oh my god, no…you definitely left a good impression on me.”

Baekhyun looked at her confused but all ears.

“You were…” She darted her attention to me for a moment. “Clingy.”

Baekhyun and I sighed at the same time.

“And I don’t mean anything negative about that.” Alice elaborated. “I mean, you’re my sister’s boyfriend and you were being clingy towards her and it makes me realize how much you want to be around her.”

Baekhyun’s ears started to turn red as he titled his head down.

“Eonnie.” I intercepted. “Can we please not talk…” I had to cut my sentence when she signaled me to stop talking.

“And just so you know Baekhyun…”

Baekhyun looked up to face her.

“I already like you enough…” She told him. “You don’t have to do anything for me to like you anymore.”

His forehead creased.

“Well.” Alice straightened her posture. “I researched about you. Your songs, actually your entire discography. I watched videos of your performances. You’re amazing.” There were her double thumbs up again. “I found out you’re very popular too, so I’m thinking you probably have a lot of women chasing after you, begging you to be their boyfriend. And well…” She trailed off to give me an eye. “I was wondering what you saw in my sister?”

I rolled my eyes. Of course, she’ll ask this.

“Eonnie,” I whined.

“I mean…well…” She extended her hands to me. “Yeah…why her?”

Baekhyun looked at me and I shook my head convincing him not to answer my sister’s question.

“Why not?” He answered, his eyes on me. “I mean, whatever she has…that’s all I ever want.” He added, never breaking eye contact. “She’s amazing.”

Did my heart just melt?

We could’ve continued gazing at each other if it weren’t for my sister’s exaggerated giggles. We both looked at her and found her hands on her face, staring at us lovingly.

“Oh for goodness’ sake!” She exclaimed pointing at the space between us. “Kill that space and just be clingy.”

None of us moved a muscle that was why Alice being the crazy sis that she was, stood on her feet and grabbed me by the wrist before making me sit next to Baekhyun, dismissing any form of distance between us.

“It’s obvious you guys are inseparable.” She told us. “So please don’t separate. Okay?”

I saw Baekhyun nod in response as he looked at me in confusion and shock at the same time.

“Oh, you guys are just so cute together. And you…” He pointed at Baekhyun. “You say that she’s amazing and that she’s all you’ll ever want…Oh my god, I’d beg mom and dad to like you for real.” She said, almost breathless.

Baekhyun seemed dazed for a moment before his lips formed into a curve. No, it wasn’t just any other curve…his signature Baekhyun smile spread over his handsome face, making my sister gasp right away.

“He…” She paused to look at me. “He looks like this when he smiles…how are you still sane Hae won?” She asked me.

I couldn’t help but laugh at her exaggeration and Baekhyun did too.

“Ugh, please excuse me I think I’ll have to go call my boyfriend and nag him for being too lousy compared to my sister’s boyfriend.” She said jokingly before stomping out of the living room.

Baekhyun and I were still laughing when she left us alone. We looked at each other, smiles fixed on our faces as I snuggled against him, his arms automatically wrapping around me.

“Well, that’s my sister,” I told him, unable to stop smiling. “I’m glad she likes you.”

He let out a small laugh, giving my arm a gentle rub.

“Though I won’t ever forgive myself for looking so dumb in your room a while ago.” He stated, shaking his head.

My smile went wider as I remembered how he looked.

“If my fans knew about this, they’d certainly leave me for someone much cooler.”

“No no no.” I contradicted laughing. “I think they’ll love you more...”

“How do you know?”

“You were so cute.”

He tilted his head down, looking embarrassed at the thought.

“Oh, my poor Babylove,” I told him, giving his cheek a light squeeze.

“Don’t start me with the Babylove thing…can’t you see I’m dying here?” He told me but was stifling a smile.

I laughed even more.

“Baek?”

“Yeah?”

“Do you remember the time when you were dancing to UN Village and Mr. Lee walked in on you?”

He sighed for the nth time, letting go of me.

“You have to remind me of that now?” He sounded desperate. “How could you be so cruel?”

“What? Why?” I asked, sounding innocent.

He brought his hands to cover his face as he leaned on the couch.

“It’s fun.” I mouthed before I burst out laughing once more.

I remembered how he looked dumbfounded in the middle of his body rolling. Then Mr. Lee told him he should stop dancing because he didn’t look good.

Oh my god, I cannot NOT laugh.

“Okay laugh. Make fun of me.” He warned me. “Just know no one’s gonna call you baby anymore.”

“Huh?” I stopped smiling.

“From now on, you’re Hae Won to me.” He stated, sounding serious about it.

“You’re kidding.”

“No, I’m not. Hae Won.”

My name sounds weird coming from him.

“Really?” I asked, slipping my arms around him so I could hug him from the side.

He scoffed. “As if that will work.”

I pouted. “But Baby…”

“Oh, stop, or else I’m gonna kill myself.” He told me.

I burst out laughing at his remarks once more.

Oh my god, I love him.


*.☽.*

8:13 PM

At dinnertime, Baekhyun turned a bit chatty on the table as he seemed to have adjusted to my sister’s presence and sense of humor.

“By the way bub.” She said, looking at me. “You know how to get to the Beach house right?”

“Yeah.” I nodded.

“Beach house?” It was Baekhyun. “Are we going to the beach?”

Alice looked surprised. “You didn’t tell him yet?”

Oh, right. I wasn’t able to mention that.

“How could you not inform your boyfriend about this New Year Tradition?” Her fake disappointment made me smile. “Okay, anyway Baekhyun we normally spend the holidays at the beach. Our grandparents left a beautiful beach house to our dad and we welcome the New Year there every year.”

“Oh.” Baekhyun nodded.

“I can’t believe you haven’t mentioned it to him. You could’ve at least briefed him.” She told me seemingly scolding me.

I ignored her nagging and just continued eating.

“I think she was just so excited to go home.” He answered on my behalf, looking at my sister then at me. “With me.” He added, his eyes forming into crescents. “Right Hae Won?”

My eyes grew wide at the mention of my name.

He’s taking this name thing too far.

“Hae Won?” It was my sister, her eyebrows furrowed. “Is that how you call her?”

Instead of answering, Baekhyun took the glass and drank water. I saw a glint of teasing in his eyes as he and my sister exchanged looks. And somehow, I kinda noticed that my sister knew what was happening.

Are they conniving right now?

“Well…” Alice shrugged. “At least my boyfriend calls me sweetheart.” She bragged, emphasizing the endearment while giving me a sympathetic look.

“Good for you,” I replied, not wanting to sound bitter but somehow sounded exactly like it.

I heard Baekhyun chuckle.

He must be having fun knowing how much I dislike him calling me by my first name. And I swear my sister was playing along with this.

“Why do you look sad Hae won?” She asked, sounding clueless. “Did Baekhyun say something wrong Hae won?”

I knew what she was trying to do here and I won’t give in to her…or even to him.

I rolled my eyes and they both laughed in unison.

I guess it’s going to be them vs. me the whole time.


*.☽.*

9:36 PM

Baekhyun was helping me with the dishes. I’d wash and he’d wipe them before putting them on the shelves. We were miraculously silent because the truth was, I was still kinda annoyed. I could feel his eyes on me but I refused to look at him even once.

When I gave him the last glass, he made it seem and sound like he was about to drop it. I glanced at him quickly, only to see the glass still on his hands, intact. His face was accented by his crescent eyes as he smiled.

Oh good, I got tricked again.

“Go away Baekhyun,” I told him, rolling my eyes before turning around to continue wiping the sink clean.

“What?” He chuckled. “Where would I go…Hae won?”

I knew he was testing my patience and I had to use every ounce of control I have left not to mind him.

“You’re getting mad, aren’t you Hae won?” He remarked and I couldn’t overlook his teasing tone.

I shut my eyes closed as I felt anger building up inside me. The urge to punch him in the face was strong.

Ignore him, ignore him, IGNORE HIM.

“Hey Hae Won.” He called, giving my shoulder a light tap.

Ignored.

“Hae won.”

I inhaled one deep breath before finally losing it.

“You know what?” I snapped, unable to stand him and all his Haewons anymore. “Don’t talk to me,” I added as I walked out of the kitchen and headed straight to my room.

I stayed there until I was finished washing up. Getting out of the bathroom, I somehow expected him to be on the bed but he wasn’t. His phone was still on the bedside table and the pillows and linens on the bed seemed untouched.

He didn’t come in?

I sat on the bed, my eyes fixed on the door. It was true, I was hoping he’d come in but he never did for the next few minutes. It was our first night in Australia and I kinda made him sleep on the couch like a relative instead of being my boyfriend?
 

I thought of what happened with my sister a while ago. How he looked so shocked being awakened like that. Also, the fact that I made fun of him by reminding him about that UN Village thingy.  

He experienced peak embarrassment today as well, worse in front of my sister.

You know you’re too shallow getting mad at him like this right?

Well, I wasn’t mad mad. I was just annoyed, I didn’t think he’d take it this seriously. With these thoughts filling my head, I stood on my feet and headed to the living room. The first thing I noticed was how the lights were turned off already.

Is he sleeping already?

I made cautious steps towards the couch only to find it empty. I frowned, looking around the area but was unable to locate him. The only light in the living room was courtesy of the faint city lights coming from the tempered glass wall. I was sure the curtains were closed a while ago. Did he open them?

Where is he though?

I walked towards the switch to turn the lights on and concluded that he wasn’t there.

I decided to go check on him in the kitchen but the first thing I noticed was him. He was standing next to my bedroom door. He was looking back at me, his hands shoved inside his sweatpants.

Was he there when I got out of my room?

“What are you doing there?” I asked.

“Waiting for you to open the door…” He trailed off, taking his hands off his pockets. “Can’t believe it took you this long honestly. I’m hurt.”

He looked soft.

“I almost slept here.” He added, pointing on the floor.

I smiled, seeing that little pout on his face. I walked towards him to slip my arms around him for a hug.

“So, you’re telling me that you…were expecting me to come and get you?” I barely finished because the urge to smile was strong.

“As you should. Yeah.” He answered in a matter-of-fact tone.

“In my defense, I only told you not to talk to me. I didn’t say about sleeping on the couch.” I looked up at him. “Or the floor.”

The pout on his lips disappeared as he finally smiled.


*.☽.*

The room was dim.

We were seated on the bed, our backs leaning on the headboards. We were staring outside through the small opening of the curtains covering the glass wall. The lights coming from the other buildings looked satisfyingly comforting. I realized, I missed it. I missed my apartment, my stuff, my neighborhood and it felt good to be back here somehow. It felt great to be here again…with Baekhyun this time.

I turned to him just in time I thought about him. He must have felt my eyes on him and gazed at me with a hint of a smile at the corners of his lips. My lips formed into an upward curve, feeling warm and fuzzy inside.

Being next to him is the best feeling.

I felt his hand on mine as he urge me to sit on his lap. He helped me and I’d ended up facing him, my legs on either side of his. My hands found their way behind his neck as we looked at each other. Wow, the lights from the glass wall reflected on his face were beautiful.

He brought his hands to my head, clearing my face of hair strands, tucking them behind my ears. His eyes were following what his hands were doing, concentrating on them while I had the luxury to gaze at every detail of his face. That mellow look in his eyes was melting me.

“Sorry, I was mad at you earlier,” I told him apologetically.

His hands trailed down to my sides before meeting behind my waist.

“Why were you mad at me?” He asked gently, his eyes starting to turn droopy.

“Well, you were making fun of me.” I started but trailed off when I saw the subtle smile on his lips. “You were intentionally calling me by my first name. You even teamed up with my sister, who I must note, likes to do stuff like this to me too.”

He laughed, his low voice resonating beautifully inside the room.

“You already know I hate it when you call me that.”

I got reminded of that one time he told me how I insisted that he’d call me Baby Park. Oh, the cringe.

“But your name’s pretty. What’s wrong?”

I frowned at him.

“I guess I just got u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter