Not so Perfect Timing ❁

Ephemeral
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 24:



 

 

 

*.☽.*

“Stay with me tonight.”

My poor heart which had always been weak for him couldn’t take the way he was gazing at me with pleading eyes right now. I was also fully aware of his hands around my waist tightly as if stopping me from making even a single step away from him.

There was absolutely no way I could ever leave him like this, so I only contemplated for a few seconds before nodding. Right after my agreement, I saw how relief took over his face as he closed his eyes, his lips forming a subtle smile before leaning his head against my shoulder once more.


*.☽.*

We were in the living room. He was lying on the couch, fully covered by a thick comforter that I got from his room just a few minutes ago. His temperature was still a little bit high, so I had a wet towel on my hand to wipe his face, hoping it would somehow help cool his fever down. I noticed that he was sweating even if he was slightly shuddering. I got another wet towel to wipe the other parts of his body starting from his neck. I was a little bit hesitant to do it at first but then I realized now wasn’t the right time to entertain my feelings.

I sat on the spare space on the couch next to him as I lowered the comforter down to his stomach so I could wipe his arms. I was doing it both gently and carefully so it wouldn’t bother him that much. Then my eyes fell on his chest and noticed that his shirt was slightly damp.

Should I take his shirt off? My mind momentarily lagged at the thought. But then again, I shoved my reluctance because Baekhyun’s condition was a priority. However, before anything else, I had to go get another shirt for him, so I hastily went to his room for the shirt and went back as soon as I got it.

“Baek, you have to get changed,” I told him so he would be aware of what I was about to do.

I took a deep breath as I gathered all the strength I could muster to pull the upper part of his body. He opened his eyes the moment I had my arms around him and helped me take his shirt off. I was thankful that I was standing and all I could see were his shoulders and arms. I was still distracted though, I took the gray shirt that he was going to change into so he could wear it right away. I sat, facing him to help him pull the shirt down his waist and my traitor eyes lingered at the sight of his abs.

I already felt myself blushing while I moved closer so I could fix his shirt on his back when he suddenly wrapped his arms around me. I wasn’t able to say anything, undeniably surprised by his sudden act.
                                                                                                                                                                        
“I’m sorry.” He apologized in a weak voice.

My heart sank. He was sick and all but he was still thinking about what happened and I somehow couldn’t help but feel a bit sorry that we both had to feel this way right now. I didn’t know what else to say, I knew I wasn’t mad at him anymore or maybe I was never really mad at him in the first place. It was just the situation, which I believe he didn’t have control over either. I couldn’t let him think that I was blaming him when he was all sick and vulnerable in front of me right now.

“It’s okay Baek,” I replied. “Just promise me you’ll get better soon.”

He responded with a nod as soon as we broke the hug. I helped him lie on the couch once more and just when I was about to stand to fix his comforter, he urged me to lie next to him.

Again, how would I be able to resist him?

We snuggled against each other on the couch and didn’t say anything afterward. We both stayed in the same position for a while before I closed my eyes, and listened to the quiet before eventually nodding off.


*.☽.*

6:10 PM

The first thing I did when I opened my eyes was to check his temperature by touching his forehead. I was somehow relieved by the thought that his temperature seemed to have gone back to normal. When I was about to step away, I felt him grab my hand, making me stop on my feet.

“Don’t go.” He murmured with his eyes still closed.

My lips formed into a small smile at how gently he spoke, he even looked vulnerable.

“Baek, I’ll go make us dinner. I’ll be right back, I promise.” I replied, assuring him.

“M’kay.” He mumbled as he eventually let go of my hand.

I went straight to the kitchen and started to prepare for dinner. I made another serving of soup for him since he couldn’t eat just any type of food due to his condition. It took me about thirty minutes to finish cooking. I took the food to the living room, and woke him up so he could start eating. At first, he told me that he didn’t feel like eating but I insisted. We both sat on the couch facing each other as I fed him. Right after eating, I asked him to take the medicine, which he did without hesitation.

It was almost eight when we decided to go back to his room. We just got inside and I was currently helping him sit comfortably on the bed. He closed his eyes as soon as he was able to rest his head against the headboard.

I sat next to him for a while and just stared at him as I wondered if he often had to deal with something like this all by himself. Then I recalled what Ara said to him a while ago about being the one to take care of him again.

“What is it, Baby?” He asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I was a bit frazzled for a moment, wondering if I was that obvious. But then again, maybe I was, or else he wouldn’t ask.

“I was just wondering…” I trailed off as I thought of another thing so we wouldn’t have to touch on anything related to Ara.

I saw how his tired eyes met mine as he waited for my answer.

“Where’s your guest room?” I blurted, all of a sudden.

His eyes grew wide, staring at me incredulously like I just said the most ridiculous thing ever.

“Is this another attempt at you being funny?” He asked in a mild tone.

I blinked my eyes twice and just waited for him to speak one more time because I didn’t have any other excuse as to why my creative mind came up with such a question.

“No one’s sleeping in the guest room.” He stated before he coughed.

“B-but I’m a guest here…” I stuttered as I got off the bed.  “I should sleep in the guest room.” I reasoned out.

He cleared his throat before talking.  “No man in his sane mind would let his girlfriend sleep in the guest room when she comes over.”

So, I guess we’d end up sharing the same bed again tonight. I should’ve seen this coming right? Why did I feel even surprised about the thought?

“C’mon baby, stop making my head hurt even more and just come here.”

I didn’t move and bit my lower lip.

“Wait.” He said looking as if he just remembered something. “Are you scared of me or something?”

“What?” I muttered as he caught me off guard. 

“Are you scared that we might do it?” He asked, emphasizing his last two words.

I instantly blushed. Hard.

“What are you talking about Byun Baekhyun?” I asked, letting out a nervous laugh as I silently prayed that he would just drop the topic immediately.

Well, he didn’t say anything else. He just continued to look at me but there was an absolute doubt written all over his face. So, I made a move to climb on the bed and sat next to him, desperately wanting him to just forget about what I just said. For some reason, I couldn’t look him straight in the eye because there was something about the way he looked at me.

“Of course, I want to do it.”

I gulped the moment I heard him.

“I’d be a hypocrite if I told you that I hadn’t been thinking about it.” He added and I swear I saw him swallow right after.

I could feel my heartbeat growing wild behind my chest and I ended up biting my lower lip again as the tension increased between us.

“Ugh, I…I have to get changed.” I told him absent-mindedly and I knew full well how foolish I sounded.

I got off the bed once more and turned around, not knowing where to go.

“Third Closet on the left.”

I turned around to face him, immediately throwing him a questioning look.

“Open it when you see it.” He instructed casually.

I nodded in response, afraid that any word that would come out of my mouth would only make the situation more awkward.

I went straight to where his closets were located. I could remember what the room looked like. There were several closets but my eyes darted to the particular closet when he shoved me and kissed me the last time. I instantly blushed at the thought as I recalled what that exact kiss felt like. I even stopped on my feet and dedicated a few good seconds to thinking about it.

I shouldn’t be thinking about this right after the kind of conversation we just had, right?

“Gosh, Park Hae Won. Focus.” I scolded myself as I looked for the third closet on the left.

I stood in front of it and hesitated a bit. I didn’t know what I was expecting exactly but still my jaw dropped when I saw the contents when I finally opened it. There were about two sets of Pajamas hung inside, a padded jacket, and two dresses. One was rust and the other one was the lightest shade of blue. The corners of my lips automatically turned upwards.

Did he get all of these for me? I mean it’s wrong to be assuming but, what else should I be thinking?

I should consider myself lucky to have him as my boyfriend… no I’m blessed. He’s so sweet and considerate and never fails to make my heart flutter every single time.


*.☽.*

When I got back, he was already soundly sleeping. I sat next to him carefully, scared that I might wake him up. I watched him as his eyes were closed and listened to his slightly ragged breathing. I had my back leaned against the headboard while I gently his hair away from his eyes.

I sighed as I silently told myself that I could do this forever. It was just somehow making me a bit sad that he had to be sick first for him to take a rest like this. I knew he’d been rehearsing nonstop for his upcoming tour. And he, being sick just meant that he needed to slow down a bit and take care of his health.

I kept his hair until I grew sleepy before I closed my eyes and finally gave in to sleep without shifting my position.
 


*.☽.*

I didn’t know what time it was exactly when he woke me up. 

“Baby.” He muttered as I felt his warm hand on my cheek.

I struggled to open my eyes and realized that he had already turned off the lights leaving the lamp the only thing on.

“Baek…are you okay? How do you feel?” I blurted out as I also brought a hand to his forehead.

There was a subtle smile on his lips as he took my hand off his face and held it.

“I’m fine.” He replied.  “I just woke you up so you could lie properly.”

“Oh,” I mumbled, instantly realizing that I did fall asleep sitting. “What time is it?” I asked as I initially thought of grabbing my phone on his bedside table to check the time but he stopped me by draping an arm around my waist.

“Let’s just go to sleep, please.” He pleaded in a sleepy voice.

I automatically turned and gazed at his beautiful face for a few good seconds before I fixed my position to lie properly next to him. We were facing each other, my hands were pinned against his chest while he placed an arm over mine to keep me close. His eyes were already closed and I could see the shadow of his eyelashes courtesy of the dim light coming from the lamp. Then my attention was caught by his moles which I had begun counting unconsciously when I saw his sleepy eyes open.

He was looking intently at me and was anticipating his words but he ended up shutting his eyes closed once more.

“Do you have any idea how hard it is to stop myself from kissing you right now?” He told me without opening his eyes.

I gulped, unable to come up with a reply.

“Damn, I hate this flu.” He added, in a mild tone.

I just stared at him. I didn’t dare open my mouth afraid that I might just make the situation uncomfortable. Thankfully, he didn’t make any remarks after that. I took my time watching him and when I was finally satisfied, I inched closer to him as I brought an arm over his waist. He must’ve felt my gesture that he ended up moving closer to me as well, leaving his face snuggling against my neck.

And I kind of just noticed how often he did it. He must have liked it.


And if he must know, I liked it too.


*.☽.*

Morning came.

I heard the sound of the shutter and I was pretty sure someone was taking a picture but I didn’t know if that was a part of my dream or something. I felt my eyebrows furrow a bit as my mind continued to dwell on the thought.

It must be my imagination, I concluded as I tried to go back to sleep since the bed and the pillows felt so nice. The scent coming from the fabric was also amazing. So amazing they almost remind me of Baekhyun. His manly scent that I have grown accustomed to. I felt the corner of my lips subtly turn up when I recalled how close we slept right next to each other last night. Cuddling with him was unquestionably one of my favorite things in the world.

Wait.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter