Sunset Glow ❁

Ephemeral
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 46: 

 

 

 

 

 *.☽.*



A Sunset Wedding in the Woods.

4:30 PM

To say that I was amazed by the venue was an understatement. It looked magical, it was rustic, and glam met halfway kind of theme. The mass foliage from the towering trees was even more beautiful today. The faint summer afternoon sunshine peeking through the leaves of the trees was more than breathtaking. The warmth it brought as it kissed my face as I looked up was both comforting and familiar. Honestly, it seemed as if Nature was watching over us.

I am in love with every single thing that surrounds me today.

My eyes remained closed for a brief moment, wanting to savor every bit of it all. The sunset breeze, the scent of the woods, and the fragrant flowers everywhere, the subtle rustles made by the leaves of the trees as they sway as if celebrating this moment with me were music to my ears. The faded chirping of the birds was like a love song being sung to me.

Of course, the crazy beating of my heart accompanied every feeling I was trying to keep in control. The butterflies that I wouldn’t be able to tame the whole time for sure, that warm and fuzzy feeling settling in my heart, every breath I took and held…

It’s overwhelming but so so beautiful…I sure didn’t know how long would I be able to stop myself from giving in to every sensation, every emotion building up inside me, and every thought I had in mind. Especially the picture in my head when I finally meet Baekhyun down the aisle. 

Oh, God.

The fragrance of flowers in front of me as I stood behind the stunningly adorned arch that served as the entrance of the aisle was pure pleasure. The arch was high enough that I could appreciate the white petals woven and had served as curtains, separating me from everyone else.

I could also feel the fabric of my wedding gown against my skin and the way the veil was attached to my head both reminded me that I was about to experience something life-changing. I tightened my hold on the bouquet in my hand as I convinced myself to breathe normally.

Park Haewon please, all I ask of you is to survive.

Can’t Help Falling in Love

The beautiful, live piano and violin rendition of the classic song played. The first note tugged at my heartstrings right away, making its way through my very soul, making my knees weak, glued to where they were standing. It was as if the melody, the magical feel of the air and the atmosphere were telling me that I was supposed to be here, right here…right now.

Then as if in slow motion, the flower curtain opened revealing the other side before my eyes and my heart almost somersaulted. I took a deep breath…

The one that signaled the beginning of the rest of my life.

The aisle that stretched a few meters away from my feet was also covered by white rose petals. A literal flower road, I thought. It was so beautiful but it got me a bit emotional knowing the fact that the road that led us to this day wasn’t all flowers.

Baekhyun, I thought of him and in a heartbeat, my eyes searched for him. It wasn’t long before I found him standing at the end of the aisle. As if on cue, our eyes met like it was the most natural thing in the world. My heartbeat grew wild with every second our gazes linger. Though afar from each other, I could feel his entire presence. However, I just had to spend a second to hold my breath at how great and breathtaking he looked clad in his wedding suit. His handsome face took over my focus. When he smiled, a sudden rush of comfort and encouragement took over me. It was him that I could only see, only him.

This is real, this is all real.

Without breaking eye contact, I took the first step towards the aisle…towards the man I couldn’t wait to love again and again every day, for the rest of my life.

I marched slowly and later on darted my attention to those who were present with us. I saw Mr. and Mrs. Kim watching me with loving eyes as the elder man draped an arm around his wife. Seeing them made me smile as I recalled our time with them that winter. How Mr. Kim told me I should marry Baekhyun. Also, the fact that Baekhyun bought the ring after the time we spent with them. When we visited them again to hand in the invitation, they both looked the happiest for us. Deep down, I knew in my heart that they had become such important people in our lives. 

Then there’s my girls, Liz and Soo Ah. They were crying and seeing those two tearing up made me want to do the same. I just love these girls so much I was so happy they’re both parts of what Baekhyun and I went through and are here right now.

Turning to the other side, I laid eyes on Jihye. Oh, my dear Jihye who I always had a spot for. She was standing next to her parents, smiling at me. I remembered how she said that it felt like she had won the lottery when she found out that Baekhyun and I were finally gonna get married. She mentioned how we were her ultimate OTP since the beginning. Aunt Sunny also had that warm smile and misty eyes on her face. She, who had been supportive as well even if we almost gave her a heart attack that night saw a hungry Baekhyun in her kitchen. We wouldn’t have made it here if not for her support too. She, Uncle Jinwoo, and Jihye had been my family here in Korea. My heart was filled with gratitude for them.

I turned to Baekhyun’s parents. I recalled how I met them separately for the first time. They were so warm that I already felt like a part of their family. I remembered the weekends we spent with them in their house especially the part where Mr. Byun asked us to speed up the wedding as he was excited to hold his grandkid in his hands. He was funny and caring like Baekhyun. They were such wonderful and loving parents, no wonder Baekhyun grew up to be as kind and loving as he was. To think that they’re going to be my parents too, I couldn’t be more blessed.

Meeting my mom’s loving eyes moved me the most. She opposed my relationship with Baekhyun at first. She, who doubted we would make it through. Now, I could sense her joy. She undeniably grew fond of Baekhyun and had been very helpful during the whole wedding preparations. I love her so much but I think that she must love Baekhyun more these days. I smiled at the thought. My dad gave me that reassuring look in his eyes as if telling me that I was doing the right thing as if encouraging me for the life I chose to take. I remembered how he fell in love with Baekhyun’s charms the first few hours they met. Thank God, I had such a charming man to marry.

My sister Alice was smiling with tears in her eyes as well. She mouthed a silent you look so beautiful remark and I couldn’t help but smile back at her. Alice had been very supportive from the start. She was an angel to both Baekhyun and me. I love her to the moon and back.

As I neared the end of the aisle, I laid eyes on the guys. The three men played a great part in our relationship. Kyungsoo, Mr. Yoo and Manager Kang. Honestly, we wouldn’t have overcome everything without the help of these three. They were originally Baekhyun’s people but have become mine as well. They all stood handsomely right next to him, their tender eyes on me.

Manager Kang who had been with us along the way, though there had been complications, I was just so glad he and Baekhyun patched things up in the end. He’s his Hyung after all.

Mr. Yoo had been very supportive and had protected us at all costs. He appeared sturdy and intimidating outside but he’s an angel, honestly. He was more than Baekhyun’s bodyguard, he was his friend, his brother.

Then Kyungsoo who I met first. Someone who witnessed us both in our most vulnerable moments. Baekhyun was blessed to have a best friend in him, though they’d probably threaten to kill each other from time to time. He smiled at me and it warmed my heart.

The beautiful melody from the violin made its way to my very heart as I clenched my hand on my bouquet finally, my attention darted to the man I was about to marry…

Baekhyun.

There weren’t any words to the melody that was playing but as I stared at him, my mind processed the lyrics in my head vividly. Every word was like a love letter from my heart to his.

Take my hand
Take my whole life too
For I can’t help falling in love with you

I watched him inhale as if filling his lungs with air as he showered me with a fond look before searching me with his eyes from head to toe. There was an absolute look of love and happiness on his face which I believed mirrored my expression as well. My chest pounded as I neared him, our eyes never looking away. I was scared to break the connection, it was like the air I breathed depended on it.

I walked towards him as I watched him tilt his head down for a bit and when he looked up, his eyes were filled with tears.

I just had to bite my lips as my tears started to pool in my eyes.

My heart, my heart cannot handle the sight of him crying as he waited for me at the end of the aisle. I closed my eyes and suddenly, all the emotions I was feeling heightened, doubled as if complimenting the melody that was still playing.

All I wanted to do was melt in his arms.

Opening my eyes, he was staring at me already, tears falling down his cheek. He covered his mouth using the back of his hand, sniffling as he wiped his tears with a handkerchief. I was convinced those were nothing but tears of joy. I watched how Kyungsoo leaned and rubbed his back.

I let out a muffled and quiet sob as I continued to watch him.

I knew full well what he had to go through in the past just so we could keep our places in each other’s lives. He was fearless since day one and never once gave up on me. He was so straightforward telling me how much he loved me, asking me to trust him amid the controversies, apologizing whenever he thought he did something wrong…even when he didn’t.

Baekhyun who had been nothing less than perfect in my eyes.

“Baby.” I read his lips. “I love you.”

My god, I am finally marrying this man.

I automatically mouthed an I love you as well and it made him smile, tears still welling in his eyes. I was only about a few steps away from him when I felt like breaking down already. I was sure my heart couldn’t take it. Like it was going to explode with love for him.

I, honestly, truly, love him.

I am on cloud nine with the thought of us finally getting here. A rush of relief and contentment showered my entire being as I continued to gaze at him.

Everything was worth it. All of it. All the pain, the sleepless nights, and all the times I cried. Suddenly all the heartbreaks we had to go through in the past had paid off and become meaningful as we both stood here now. We’re here. Finally here.

In my heart and my deepest thoughts, I know that he’s worth it. He’s worth it. He will always be worth it.

That smile…that look of sincere joy on his face…it’s worth it. And I would be willing to go through everything all over again as long as it would lead us here.

My breath hitched when he finally stepped towards me, holding my slightly shaking hands with his before placing them gently on his arm. I could feel his warmth next to me, his familiar scent I truly loved and had grown accustomed to filled my senses.

Being handsome was normal for him daily but he’s the most handsome in my eyes right now. Clad in his black wedding suit, he was oozing with all kinds of positive appeal. The material of his suit hugged his broad, gorgeous shoulders and arms perfectly. His hair which was the most beautiful shade of dark brown caramel, which I truly was in love with, was flawlessly styled in a way that left his forehead exposed, some loose strands falling. He looked like he got off a page of a magazine.

As we faced each other, the glorious rays of the afternoon sun hit his hair and his skin at the most perfect time giving his face that unforgettable sunset glow.

He looks so ethereal, so unreal.

I noticed how he was wearing the Rolex I gave him as a Christmas present on his wrist, making the corners of my lips turn upwards. Trailing my attention back to his face, I was transported to our private bubble again. His eyes were filled with admiration as he also glued his focus on my face like he was taking in every detail, every little move I made. I need not have read his mind right now because his face tells it all.

Then I heard him take a deep breath as if he had been holding it too. After which, he placed a hand over mine and I was brought back to reality. The best reality ever. We gave each other one last look before we took the first step forward, together. 

“God, you look perfect.” He leaned closer and said in a voice, a bit louder than a whisper. “I’m about to go crazy.” His eyes gazed at me fondly, a subtle smile on his beautiful, beautiful lips.

I smiled, my heartbeat racing of course.

“I’m crazy about you already,” I replied in a quiet voice too.

He let out a small laugh and I perfectly had the best timing to glance at him when his eyes were formed into the most beautiful crescents.


 *.☽.* 

The ceremony began and we were welcomed by the preacher from my mom’s hometown church whom I came to know during my stay there, Mr. Kwon. He was a man in his early fifties and I had always adored his preaching whenever I attended the Sunday Service. I once invited Baekhyun to attend a service where he preached and he said that he liked him too. Later on, we both agreed to ask him to marry us which he gladly took after spending a whole afternoon talking and getting to know us. I recalled how his eyes grew wide when he heard some essential details about our relationship.

“I see you’re both fearless souls who fought hard for what you have now. I’m not gonna lie it’s so rare to find something that you both have and it would be an honor for me.”

We spent a few more Sundays attending his service whenever Baekhyun was available and had somehow gotten close to him. He was another father figure we were so grateful to have.


 *.☽.* 

I tried to focus on the ceremony as much as I could but I found myself glancing at Baekhyun most of the time. I was so aware of his presence next to me and it was so hard to resist.

I am marrying the love of my life, my brain kept dwelling on this thought. I wondered what was going on inside his head too whenever I caught him staring, whenever I noticed the corner of his lips lifting, or every time I’d feel his finger slightly brush against my own.

Could he be thinking of the same thing?

However, he might have answered my unvoiced question when he turned to me, his eyes gazing for a little bit longer, blinking before his lips formed into a beautiful upward curve.

“When I first met these two…”

It was Mr. Kwon’s words that brought us back to the present as we both gave him our attention.

“I was truly amazed by the thought of them going through everything they went through just to get to this day. When I did my research about Baekhyun here, I had my mind blown.” He said his last sentence in an animated voice and an expression on his face, making us laugh.

“His popularity is no joke and for someone like him to go beyond what is comfortable, what is familiar, and what is common…just to make sure he’s gonna get to spend the rest of his life with our beautiful Haewon here is remarkable.” He paused as he smiled at both of us. “I mean, you can’t blame the man look at how lovely his bride is…” He looked at me dearly.

His remarks were making their way straight to my heart, making me smile.

“This brave, beautiful, extraordinary woman who is nothing less than fearless to accept not just his crazy famous and handsome groom but everything that his celebrity life comes with.”

Baekhyun and I exchanged looks.

“You see, it’s rare to find a love like these two have. And I’m sure that they’re grateful to every one of you here because love this hard, this passion…this great…THIS REAL, would need all the support it can get just to survive in this crazy world. But most especially…” He trailed off as he looked at the both of us again. “The ones that you have to be most thankful for… are each other.”

Mr. Kwon smiled gently at me before his stare turned serious.

“Baekhyun fought hard just to make sure you’re the one to stand next to him right now.” He told me in a way that touched my heart.

“Haewon.” He muttered this time his attention focused on Baekhyun. “Fought hard just so you could be the one to wait for her down the aisle.”

I watched how Baekhyun tilted his head down for a bit before he nodded. His eyes were misty when he glanced at me.

Oh, my heart.

“You both have to remember it every day in the next few days, weeks, months…years, and years of your life together. You both worked so hard to get to this day. You have to promise each other that you will put in as much passion every day even if you’re already married. You owe it to yourselves, to the loud beatings of your hearts right now. Remember everything before this day, remember today, and remember it for the rest of your lives.”

I inhaled, taking a deep breath as I closed my eyes. I wanted to cry so bad I just had to give in to the weight of my unshed tears just in time I felt Baekhyun draped an arm around me. I would’ve wanted to cling to him and melt in his arms. However, Mr. Kwon asked us the question we had both been eager to answer.

“Do you Byun Baekhyun, take Park Haewon to be your lawfully wedded wife? Will you love her, honor, comfort, and keep her in sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?”

Baekhyun’s eyes met mine.

“I do.”

Those two words from him provided me with the immediate and highest form of happiness.

“Do you Park Haewon, take Byun Baekhyun to be your lawfully wedded husband? Will you love him, honor, comfort him, and keep him in sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?”

My breath hitched, and my hold on my bouquet tightened. That warm and fuzzy feeling plus the butterflies seemed to have activated at the right time, heightening every emotion I was capable of feeling. Locking eyes with Baekhyun, my lips formed into a subtle upward curve, and my heart…my heart wanted to jump and sink at the same time.

“I do.”

The way he closed his eyes, and tilted his head for a bit before looking at me again with a fond and gentle expression on his face was comforting and very rewarding. I smiled at him, only smiled at him because I knew I wasn’t capable of forming any coherent thoughts anymore.

It was like time stopped, everything faded around us. Suddenly, my head was flooded with the million times we stared at each other like this in quietness. I felt complete and by the way, he showered me with his soft gazes right now, I was sure that he felt the same way.

Breaking the eye contact, I saw how Mr. Kwon was staring dearly at us before he announced that it was time for us to read our vows.

The vows, Oh my heart…

Baekhyun and I exchanged looks before he turned around as Kyungsoo appeared next to him and gave him a piece of folded paper. He took the microphone from Mr. Kwon before he threw me another look accompanied by that handsome smile. Just when I thought he was about to start, he leaned closer to Mr. Kwon and whispered something in his ear. The elderly nodded at whatever it was that Baekhyun said.

“Hi, baby…” His eye smile was on display as soon as he started. “Before I read my vows, allow me to confess something to you.” He halted his speech by looking silently at me, a hint of a glowing smile at the corner of his lips. “And to everyone.” He added as he turned to the audience.

What he said immediately earned a frown for me.

A confession? What is this all about?

I was too confused to even reply, I just waited for his next words.

“The truth is…though we met up at the hiking place, it was not the very first time I ever laid eyes on you.”

The way I had to hold my breath because of what he just said.

What is he talking about? I’m so sure that was the first time we’ve seen each other. Where is this coming from?

“Are you joking right now?”  I asked him, my voice just a bit louder than a whisper, disbelief apparent in my tone.

He shook his head as he let out a short laugh at my question. The beating of my heart intensified, my head not knowing what thoughts to entertain first.  

“The first time I saw you…” He trailed off, his eyes boring to my very soul. “Was right across your aunt’s flower shop.”

What? I blinked a couple of times, and my brain lagged.

I heard a few gasps from others behind me but I was too engrossed.

“I guess it was about maybe a month ago before we met…” He trailed off as he probably saw how confused I was staring back at him right now. “You see if I ever had extra time after I finished hiking, I would usually drive around the nearest town which was where your Aunt’s family lives. I’ve done it maybe four, five times.”

“What are you talking about, oh my god?” I replied breathlessly, my heartbeat audible in my ears.

I heard everyone laugh due to my baffled remark. 

“Seriously?” I continued to stare at him unbelievably.

He nodded, a calm expression on his face.

Was that why he showed up unannounced right across the street that day he saw me with Eun Chan? I just thought he might have gone looking for the shop but with what he was saying now… did he know where it was all along?

My thoughts were busy but I was again speechless in front of him. The corners of his lips lifted, and in his eyes was a different kind of twinkle.

“It was one of those afternoons when I was driving around the town and I happened to see this girl standing in front of a flower shop.”

My heartbeat started to run wild for the nth time today while I attentively listened to his every word.

“She was in a white summer dress carrying a bundle of flowers in her hands.”

I gazed at him, unblinking. Entranced by everything he said.

“She looked absolutely beautiful. Like an angel.” He smiled subtly at me, meeting my gaze. “I had to slow down, stop, and roll the window down so that I could have a better look at her. I was across the street and though I couldn’t make out her face since I wasn’t that close, I saw how she smiled, her eyes were on the flowers in her hands. Her long hair was down and I could perfectly remember how it gently danced with the wind that time. She was a breathtaking view and I wanted to take it all in. So, I stayed there the whole time just admiring her from where I was.”

Is this for real? Why is he just telling me about this now?

I was trying to figure out the answer to my muted questions when it finally dawned on me. I made a little gasp, my hand on my mouth when I finally remembered the moment he was referring to. I saw how his face lit up.

“Oh my god,” I muttered, rattling and not knowing what else to say.

This couldn’t be real. But then he was right, maybe it was really about a month before I met him at the hiking place. I recalled that exact moment when I found those bundles of flowers pretty, I stepped outside just so I could admire their beauty in the light. I was wearing a white dress, my hair untied. Just when I stepped inside the shop again, I heard a car leaving which made me look out. I did see a car driving away that day. Though it was kinda far for me to recognize.

Was that his? Was that him that day?

“You remember that day, baby?” He asked, his tone gentle and hopeful.

I nodded, my hands cupping my face as I was somewhat embarrassed to hear this for the first time. My cheeks were hot and I tried to contain that overwhelming feeling. I heard a few affectionate responses from our family and friends. They must have been shocked too.

“I thought I’d never see you again.” He tilted his head down as I watched him stare at my hand where my engagement ring was before he reached for it.

His eyes were on mine again as I felt his thumb gently rub my hand. The gesture took me to that exact moment when I first saw him at the end of the cliff, looking all mysterious with his bucket hat on.

“When we met at the hiking place, I didn’t recognize you were the same person. And yes, you can call me stupid for not realizing it right away…” He trailed off as he let out a small laugh. “Until the second time, we met when you agreed that I’d give you a ride back since your bike was broken but only until the entrance of the town. I was already driving back for about ten minutes when it all dawned on me. That you…”

I held my breath.

“You were that girl in a white summer dress.” He added, giving my hand a firm squeeze.

Oh god.

“I went back to the entrance of the town that night and even drove to where I saw you first. I wasn’t gonna leave unless I confirmed it. I wanted it to be you. There was this unexplainable feeling of desperation I had that time of wanting you and that girl to be the same person.”

There was something in the way he said it, the way his lips formed into a subtle downward curve before he tilted his head to the right and let out another short laugh.

“And imagine how I felt when I saw your broken bike right outside the house that’s next to the flower shop.”

I don’t know how to feel for not having a single clue about this.

Why didn’t he tell me about this all this time? I couldn’t believe he hid this from me until now. I wasn’t mad I was sure I was amazed. How? Like how?

“So anyway, you might be wondering how I never got to mention it to you.” He added, snapping me out of my thoughts. “Even yesterday when our friends were asking us about how we met and how we fell in love…” He took a second to glance at everyone else present yesterday. “Well, honestly I decided to keep it as my little secret until the right time comes.” He finished his sentence, the corner of his lips turning upward. “And there is no doubt that this…this is the right time.”

I swear this man never runs out of stuff to amaze me. It seems as if it’s a natural thing.

He’s so unpredictable in a good way, I wouldn’t have thought in a million years that he was hiding something like this from me. I had to blink my eyes a couple of times and entertain the realization that Baekhyun saw me first. He saw me first when I thought I did it. I thought I was the one who first laid my eyes on him that day up at the old hiking place.

So, the guy in a black bucket hat saw me first.
He saw me as the girl in a white summer dress.

“And I’m so amazed by the fact that it all came down to this.”

His next words were accompanied by an affectionate look on his face as he searched me from head to toe.

“That woman who was wearing a simple white summer dress who caught my attention that afternoon…” He just had to pause to wet his lips. “Is now standing here in front of me looking absolutely perfect in a beautiful white wedding gown.” He momentarily looked up as if keeping himself from giving in to tears.

The emotions his last remark evoked hit me so hard.

What is he doing? Oh my god, he’s really going to make me cry so bad.

A Simple white dress to a wedding gown. I didn’t know why but everything seemed to fall into place. Everything made sense from the day he first saw me until now.

I turned my attention to everyone else to give myself a break from the information I just learned only to get more emotional when I saw them staring at us dearly. My mom was crying and was being consoled by my dad. The other women looked emotional as well, including Ji Hye.  

“Baby…” He uttered, getting my attention.

Looking at him again, I saw his vows in front of him. I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to handle what he had written on it. I was still overwhelmed by his revelation, how would I be able to survive his words?

Oh dear heart, please be strong.

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a bit before staring at me.

“We’re finally here.” He paused as if trying to compose himself, even seeing him swallow.

It was evident that he was as nervous as I was. I heard him clear his throat before he started to read again.

“After everything, we went through and overcame, both the amazing and the crazy ones, we’re finally here.”

He took a moment to just look at me with the hint of tears in the corners of his eyes just as I could feel my own eyes wet with tears too.

“I’m finally marrying the most amazing woman I know.”

I just had to bite the inside of my lower lip when I saw him close his eyes before gazing at me again as he wet his lips.

“And you know what?” He asked as he sniffed.

The subtle smile on his lips and the soft expression on his face were so heart-warming, tugging at my heartstrings well.

“It almost feels like I was made for this very moment. This is absolutely a dream come true for me from the moment I realized that you were the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. You…” He gazed at me. “You gave my life more meaning Baby. I thought I couldn’t be happier than I already was.”

I watched him gulp, looking away for a bit as he exhaled as if he had been

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter