Aberration

Shooting Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Aberration

The contact lasts for barely a minute, but Jisoo forgets all else, as if reality was suspended.

Jisoo is bewildered at how real Jennie has become in her life. That night in her backyard was all a drunken blur, and she hates herself for not being able to recall their encounter with more precision.

Jennie appearing in front of her, up close was reeling – in daylight and close proximity, Jennie was exponentially more ethereal and majestic despite the simplicity in her appearance.

Jisoo would have never truly believed in angels – only now did she actually find it in her to admit to the existence of higher beings. She silently utters a prayer of thanks to the Universe.

“Hi?”

_____

Of all the things Kim Jisoo – the intellectual, composed, and level-headed Kim Jisoo would say, only a flimsy “hi” escapes her lips.

Jennie looks at Jisoo and her eyes meet Jisoo’s hypnotic brown orbs. The first thing anyone would notice about Jisoo is how her soft gaze, trained to read volumes and volumes of words, carries a world within them.

Her eyes are full of stories, of life, and questions – Jennie was afraid she would fall in them, an infinitesimal abyss of wonder and awe.

_____

 “Hey, Lisa? You seem a little…off. Are you alright?”

“Mhmm.”

“Lisa? Do you need to take a break or something?”

Lisa slumps into a chair across Jisoo. It’s been three days; Their hangouts were now more frequent than ever, now that Jisoo was on vacation from university, and students went home. Jisoo was always at the café to keep Lisa company, and because she refused to be alone with her thoughts – or her guardian. After the entire encounter, it took Jisoo an entire day to recover. Jennie stayed tactile the entire night, but it was all difficult for Jisoo to still take in.

*****

“Lisa? I’m going to go home, is that okay?” Jisoo said warily, eyes still glued on Jennie, who stood before her, unmoving, but eyes probing.

“Yeah, sure, go ahead.” Lisa waved off nonchalantly.

Jisoo was bothered at Lisa’s tone, but didn’t think much of it – she had a bigger problem to deal with. She had so many questions she wanted to ask Jennie, and she wasn’t sure how much time she had with the guardian this time.

Jisoo ran out of the café, hoping Jennie was following

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter