Beside You

Shooting Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: The acknowledgment of affection inhibits the Guardian's capacity to materialize. The stronger the human's belief for a Guardian is, the more stable they materialize. They also learn the ability to empathize - whatever genuine emotion their human goes through, Guardians acquire better understanding, as they are unable to procure emotions on their own, without human interaction.

____

“Jennie? Is there something you’re not telling me about Guardians?” Jisoo asks while laying flat on her bed, with Jennie sitting on the floor next to the bed, staring at Jisoo.

“Like what?”

“Because I’ve mapped it out, did some deduction , and it doesn’t add up. You say Guardians are the same right? I forced Lisa to tell me about her angel, and why she isn’t appearing anymore. You said Guardians are bound to their humans for life.”

“Yes, we are all the same. Yes, we are bound to humans until their passing.”

“So…Rosé stopped appearing because…Lisa told her not to. Is that allowed?”

“Well, not entirely. Rosé has stopped materializing to Lisa because the latter has stopped believing in her Guardian.”

“Please explain to me, this is messy. She still exists but she’s not appearing anymore?”

“Yes, she is intangible but still with Lisa. She was at the café when I appeared. She looked sad, actually.”

Jisoo pauses and turns on her side to look at Jennie. “Because she can’t do that anymore with Lisa, right?” she asks softly.

Jennie nods wanly, and extends her arm onto the bed. Jisoo places a palm on top of Jennie’s. Their hands are warm, and even more so together.

“I don’t want that to happen to us.” Jisoo whispers, almost inaudibly that Jennie has to lean forward.

“Pardon?”

Jisoo sighs and secures her hand over Jennie’s tighter. “I don’t want that to ever happen. I wouldn’t want to shun you away for any reason, now that I actually know you’re here. You make me feel safe, and I don’t want to lose that trust with you.”

Jennie smiles. “Jisoo, you’re smart. Beyond the intellect of many. Now that you’ve also understood a Guardian that isn’t yours, and what we can and cannot do, I hope that it makes you more at ease. It will be impossible for me to leave you, Jisoo. Even if I don’t materialize, I’m here. I’m around you, with you.”

At this, Jisoo begins to tear up. Jennie is taken aback and stands up over Jisoo. “Are you alright?”  

“Jennie, all my life I’ve learned to depend on no one, because I have so many trust issues. The reason why I turn to books and learn about everything is because I cannot, for the life of me, trust anything without proof, without promise, without concrete evidence. I don’t want to stop believing in you for any reason at all. I don’t want to lose this trust.”

Jennie looks at Jisoo with an ‘I know, I was with you growing up,’ kind of look.

Jisoo laughs through her sobbing. “Right, you know that. But you revealing yourself changed everything. Talking to myself isn’t talking to myself anymore. I know you’re listening. Even if sometimes you don’t understand, or probably do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter