Predicaments

Shooting Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Daybreak.

Jennie watches Jisoo pick up a book from her expansive library inside her room. The sun has barely risen but Jisoo is wide awake, spending five minutes scanning the spines for the correct one.

She watches her human walk to the bean bag in the corner of the room, and plop to the floor, face already buried in the dog-eared tome.

The cover reads: “Angelology” by Danielle Trussoni. She wishes she could ask Jisoo what it was about – because at 4:00AM, she was all-too serious about reading it.

_____

All day, Jisoo is quiet, face shoved into the novel she opened at dawn. Jennie can do nothing but watch her. She is unable to feel boredom – and therefore with the unlimited patience bestowed upon her, she uses it to observe Jisoo.

Kim Jisoo, who has grown well into a woman of brilliance. Although as clumsy as ever, Jennie found it amusing to watch Jisoo get lost in her library. Every time Jisoo opened a book, everything else would seem irrelevant – which was the main reason why Jisoo got into accidents. Jennie remembers the day Jisoo crossed her campus grounds while studying her notes, and almost got hit by a Frisbee player who was catching a throw. Jennie had to divert Jisoo by muddying the ground she walked on so Jisoo would take another route. Unfortunately, even if Jisoo had evaded the disc runner, she slipped on the ground and fell on her bum. Lesser evil, Jennie thought.

Another thing Jennie found interesting about Jisoo was the way her excitement builds up when reading something of utmost interest. Jisoo would begin mumbling the words, reading louder and louder until she was in a giddy mess, smiling from ear to ear.

Jennie had grown to love the way Jisoo went quiet. She respected how Jisoo minded her own business, staying in a bubble. But she also felt the need to protect Jisoo all the more. Because she was quiet, Jisoo never let other people see what troubled her.

In all her time watching over Jisoo, Jennie has learned the way her human secludes herself in her own space whenever she felt vulnerable. She knew fairly well that Jisoo refused any form of help, but would always try to fight it on her own.

It was much too frustrating for Jennie to wait so many moons before she could appear before Jisoo, and just be around her all the time.

Jennie had a mindset unlike the other Guardians, who were aversive of their humans. Maybe because Jisoo was bonded to her; that Jisoo’s personality and her disposition matched perfectly; maybe it was how fond Jennie had grown of over Jisoo.

The first thing Jennie would say to Jisoo – as she has rehearsed over and over in her head

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter