face-off.

So It Goes

LIES ARE SHORT-LIVED. Where did I read that, I wonder.

I was sitting on the bleachers by myself, when someone poked my shoulder.

“Jie!” I turned, and saw the passionate girl with her excited eyes. But I felt restless; I wanted everyone to just leave me alone. I was surrounded by some negative auras and they’re likely infectious.

“Could you leave me alone?” I plead her.

“I got something really huge!”

What possibly could be more huge than the principal cancelling his cancellation?

I can’t put the sentence properly, but you know.

“What is it.”

“Prepare yourself.”

I really wasn’t in the mood for that.

I just stood up and said, “I’m leaving.”

“Nooo, listen to me.” She held the hem of my shirt.

I sighed.

“....Alright.” I sat beside her.

“As you know, the whole school is so easily swayed by anything posted on the website.”

“So?”

“We can use that to turn their back on one of the admin candidates.”

“I kind of dislike where this is going.”

“Come on, this one is really good.” She continued. “What if, everyone finally thinks that one of our post-ers has been fabricating things this whole time?”

“I know right that it’s nice. But, if that’s your idea, then it’s still too abstract.” I patted her. “I don’t think we can realize that. But thanks.”

“I already did it, though.”

“What?”

“Take a look.” She slid her tablet open and showed me a note. I only saw pictures; someone with a camera, following other someone in many different rooms.

She’s managed to get me curious. “Can I hold that myself?” I asked her, to have a closer view of it.

She entitled it with Sun Qian, the girl who writes about Lexie. She added this small sentence on the bottom, But why is it always about Lexie?

I’ve also been wondering about that.

It’s funny how a candidate for the journalism club only writes about one person all the time. Don’t you think that it’s weird?

But you’ve also been writing about me only.”

I didn’t at first. But since she’s been putting up bizarre things about you, why should I stay still?” She added, “Besides, this time I aim to lead everybody’s opinion. Just like what she’s been doing.”

That didn’t sound right.

I let out a heavy sigh, then continue reading it.

Yesterday I saw Sun Qian with her DSLR and superzoom lens walking like a thief at the school’s corridor. I took my time to peek at her and noticed that she’d been documenting everything Lexie did; in canteen, field, and even bathroom.

What was she looking for? Was it for her articles? But, why?

All this time, I’ve been wondering about why we are fighting with articles about the girl named Lexie. Like out of 300+ students here, why her?

If we take a look at the topics Sun Qian’s been raising here, don’t they all sound like she’s trying so hard to make everyone have a bad impression of Lexie?

Regardless you believe or don’t believe in my writings, or you think they’re all weird; but don’t you think that Sun Qian’s are also weird? She’s been trying so hard to pin bad things on a particular person!

It’s totally easy to find many topic-worthy stuff when you follow someone all day, everywhere. But, any of them isn’t a fact yet, if we only conclude from photos without asking for the person’s opinion first.

All her articles were based on possibilities that appeared from her photos and her theories. So do you still think that everything she provided was the fact?

Let me know what you think on the comment section below.

Ok you’re really something.” I gave the tablet back to her.

I’ll take that as a compliment, then.”

But don’t you think that you’re pulling a Sun Qian here? I mean, being all dramatic and stuff?”

I don’t know what you mean by stuff, but yes... this is called playing her game on her own self.”

Also, you haven’t asked her opinion for this thing. So this isn’t a fact yet, right? If it’s according to your theory.”

You know I used to always ask the person’s opinion first. Besides, this one is most likely the fact. I know it.”

There’s no most-likely fact. There’s only fact.” I pause. “I’m not trying to scare you but it’s possible that people may notice the contradiction. Or worst, they may accuse you to be the one lying all this time.”

“You should’ve just stayed away from this in the beginning.” I added.

I didn’t think about that when I posted it—“

WHAT? You posted it already?”

Y-yeah...” She buried her face on my shoulder for five seconds, then looked up to me. She begged, “Please save me!”

Huh? It’s you who can save yourself now. Just take the post down.”

I can’t. It must be everywhere already. It’s no use even if I delete it.”

“So, in summary, we’re doomed?”

“No. You can try asking Sun Qian why she’s been doing all these to you. Because I believe, we can use anything she says to that, to come up with something useful.” She continues, “Aren’t you curious? You never talked about this in her face, right?”

Heard somewhere that she likes my friend.”

Friend? You mean the one you’ve been together with since your first year?”

Most likely.”

But isn’t it too simple for a reason?”

I don’t know.”

And even if it’s true, it’s not a fact yet, unless we heard it by ourselves.”

You’re right, I guess.” I sigh.

“I initially didn’t care, but now that the school’s just dropped me—“

WHAT?!”

No no, they didn’t drop me out of the school, but dropped the fund for my competition.”

That’s still cruel!”

So what should I do?”

Just catch her and ask the question.”

Like, casually?”

“Yeah...?”

---

If she’s really been following me, it wouldn’t be hard to catch her, right?

I decided to try waiting for her at the bathroom. I didn’t want to pity her being embarrassed because everyone’s looking at her. So, I chose this most solitude place in school.

As I wait, I slid my phone open and randomly checked on the website. I was quite curious with how people reacted on the passionate girl’s latest dangerous article.

“Everyone knows that she likes Ziyi.”

“Who doesn’t like him, anyways?”

“I would do the same thing if I was her.”

“Ziyi, just come back already. Break up with her and be with me instead.”

So everyone still didn’t see the scary girl as the “bad guy”. They’re mulling over how they totally can tolerate all her alleged wrongdoings, just because of her feelings for him.

Why was it so hard to comprehend that all her claims were only her imaginations?—perhaps, the smart ones in our school didn’t bother to follow this lousy website.

Don’t get me wrong, having feelings for someone is great. It’s lovely. I really am an accepting individual. But when you start hurting someone else just for that, then—

You’re helpless.

Suddenly, I heard the familiar sound of DSLR shutter nearby. I turned and saw someone peeking at the door, but he/she just ran away.

I might be considered stupid in PE class, but my agility was pretty good.

I grabbed her shirt and dropped her to the wall. I did it quite gently, like I used force but it wouldn’t possibly hurt her. I’m a coward, it’s true. Besides, I did that while taming my breath for running too quickly.

I was still panting when she suddenly pushed me to the floor.

I thought I shouldn’t waste more time, so I started bombarding her with questions. “Why did you post bad things about me?”

I was still sitting on the floor and she’s standing in front of me.

I just, couldn’t be bad[] while standing.

I said it, I’m a coward.

“Why did you fabricate things about me?”

“Why did you put your imaginations on the articles?”

“Why did you follow me all this time—“ She’s about to run off, but I grabbed her shirt again.

“The world doesn’t only revolve around you!” She yelled.

Her face was pale and her eyes were panicking, as if she’s the one being harassed here.

Tell me it’s the opposite.

So the saying about how psychopathic antagonists mostly think of themselves as the victims, is true?

“Is it true that you like Ziyi?” I asked.

“He’s always been mine since the start.”

Ah, don’t say such a troubled-girl thing like that. I’m pitying you now.

“But he’s with me now.”

“You’re just a nuisance lingered around him. Get rid of yourself. Quick, you have to.”

Ok, do people usually get angry from this?

“If I’m a nuisance, why does he still choose to keep me? Haven’t you thought about this?” I was unbelievably calm.

She started to move so much, so I had to use both of my hands to hold her wrist instead.

“He still has no idea how demonic you are!” She scoffed.

“What?” I let out a sigh.

She’s a kid, I see.

“Look. If I was really a demonic person like you imagined, then why did you have to write fake things on your articles? Why did you have to follow me everywhere?”

Like you can just not stalk me and still get the tea, if your opinion is true.

Her face turned really red, as if she’s currently wearing her PE clothes, layered with my PE clothes, then Yuxi’s PE clothes. I mean, it must be very hot.

I knew you still have conscience in yourself.

So, if the opposing party is like that, do people just mess around with the ego?

Ok. Let’s try.

“WHY DID YOU MAKE THE SCHOOL DROP MY CHANCE TO SEOUL?” I yelled.

Was it too harsh? I didn’t swear.

I lowered my tone. “I can tolerate you posting your imaginations on the website, but can you please not cut someone else’s opportunity for her future?” I added, “Don’t you think that karma exists?”

That one just slapped me right on the face. Somehow. Although I’m not sure what I did wrong.

But I should stick to the plan; I agreed to it already.

[I was lowkey scared that confronting while pushing someone else’s limits like this was not a good thing.]

I manipulated myself to feel flamed by thinking about what happened in the principal’s office, so I could yell, “YOU THINK ZIYI’LL BE PROUD SEEING YOU DO THIS?” I paused.

“ANY NORMAL PERSON WOULD THINK OF YOU AS THE DEMONIC PARTY!”

Ok?

Not ok. Her reddish face just turned into purple. I started to feel a slight trembling sensation from her movements; she’d been trying to release my grab. And the moment she succeeded, she grabbed the camera strap on her neck like she wanted to take it off in instant.

“Uh-oh, what are you doing?” I scooted away backwards, with my hands, because I was still sitting on the floor.

“I don’t need this!” She’s about to throw her very expensive DSLR to my side, so I jerked to the side, trying to protect myself from it.


I also owned one, a mirrorless camera for cover dance contents, and it’s costly. But her camera’s probably worth 6 or 7 times mine, bigger and more painful.


And so it missed. It hit the floor beside me, thankfully. But then she took her gigantic lens from her bag and threw it to me. And it went to the other side of the floor, again.

Did she miss them in purpose?

If someone had been recording us, this was really similar to some torturing scene even though I didn’t get hurt at all—but fatigue from trying to hold this girl.

Hold on, I saw her starting to get nearer to my side to gather her DSLR and her lens.

She turned to me with hands still holding the two things, then started walking step by step to corner me, like a real torturing scene, until I couldn’t go anywhere because I was already on the very corner of the room.

So you’re going to do this for real now?

“W-What are you doing?” I stuttered.

“MR. SUN YOU’RE GOING TO CHECK ON THE BATHROOM?!!” A random voice caused her to feel anxious; she turned to the left and right, then stormed off.

I sighed in relief and started patting my chest.

Thank God.

“Jie! Are you ok? Let’s go to the nursery room!” The passionate girl helped me up and lingered her arm around my shoulder.

“I’m ok. I didn’t get hurt at all.”

“Really?” She looked at me from head to toe with her worried face. She added, “You’re so cool that you’re fine in the middle of that!”

Since you put it like that, I wonder.

She hugged me. “You’re awesome!”

Didn’t sound right.

“Haha.... thanks.” I said in a weak voice. I felt very drained like I was just from 5 hours of PE class. But it’s ridiculous that it’s solely caused by holding someone else’s shirt, then hand.

Is it really because of that physical activity or some... internal discomfort [re: guilt]?

I continued, “Thanks for coming up with the Mr. Sun thing. You’re genius.”

“No problem! Her father should someday know what his daughter’s been doing around—“

“Huh? Daughter?”

Ah, they had the same family name.

Slow.

“Yes, the principal is Sun Qian’s father.” She paused. “So, I recorded your conversation before. Only audio, but we have our weapon now!”

“Huh?”

“Say hello to Seoul, jie!”

“Wait! C-could you not post that?”

“Are you feeling good?”

No.

She put her palm on my forehead, then both of my cheeks.

I grabbed her palm and said, “She didn’t hit me at all. I was the one who kept on flaming her. I could’ve just run away.” I gulped. “So, it’s all on me.”

She gasped, then sighed while pressing her eyes together. I knew what she felt. But I couldn’t betray my conscience, because the scary girl really didn’t hurt me.

My feet started to loose their balance as I realized that my heart thought I was bullying her, but my head thought the complete opposite. Despite anything she’d done or been doing to me, I shouldn’t do the same thing.

I’m a coward, I know.

I had this weird mindset from living alone for too long. I guess. I felt weird if someone had to suffer because of me. I was more used to the situation where I was the one suffering instead.

Because I always believe I’ll just do fine.

My own words that I said to her, kept on ringing in my head;

Don’t you think that karma exists?

What if she’s already experiencing the karma? I didn’t want to add more sufferings to her life. Because that would never give my heart a relief.

I still couldn’t forget the sight of her eyes that totally screamed help to me. To have such broken mindset for a kid like her, must’d required a series of tensions, dissatisfactions and anxieties in life.

Let’s just not break it more than it already is, shall we?