she wondered.

So It Goes

HURRRRAAAYY! My heart is thumping so hard because I can accompany Xiao Xin jie to her first session! I’m thankful that my lecturer had to leave early today because of some reasons I don’t need to remember.

I’m currently standing in front of the practice room, and I’m seeing bunch of people in the same uniform with me talking around here. Weird.

Why are they outside?

Some are actually leaving the place. I know the session hasn’t finished yet.

“Hi there, why is everybody here? Has the session ended already?” I ask a group of some random students.

“The lights went out, so the leader called it off.”

The university should’ve hired me as their architecture consultant.

“Anyway, have you seen Liu Boxin somewhere?”

They don’t get it.

They must’ve been living under a rock.

“A girl, this tall, with a tired restless face.... and w-wide forehead?” Jie, I’m a total sinner!

You know I love you so much, right? Sorry that I have to mention some mainstream uncool judgments people have about you....

But they’re still confused, though.

My jiejie is very awesome and you guys are disgracing her by not paying attention to her I’m going to flip y’all and eat your brains.

I sigh.

“Overall... looking like Rihanna but a bit skinnier?”

“Oh, I saw her!“

Ok.... I’m taking that back.

Why didn’t I come up with that earlier?

“She had a little bit injury, so she’s brought to the infirmary.”

WHUTTSIWHSUHAYSYAUDUSSU

“Which infirmary?”

Wait, I should ask what happened first. I swear Jie would most likely spill the short version only.

“The first one.”

“Sorry to bother you again, but, what actually happened to her?”

And so I got the tea.

“Thank you... thank you very much! I’ll see you all soon, then, bye!”

---

As I’m running to the infirmary, the lights just turn back on. Thank God.

Oh crap—

JIEEE!!!!”

She’s sitting on the ground, eyes closed, one hand’s wrapped in a white bandage.

Did she faint on the way here? Didn’t they say that “she’s brought here” meaning she’s not walking by herself? Who was the person in charge? I—

Breathe.

I should try recalling all possible occurrences of a hand injury. Thus, what should I do and avoid doing—

She starts to slowly open her eyes.

Bless the world.

“Are you ok, jie?” I linger my arm on her shoulder; I want to help her sit.

“H-hey.... so you want me... to be mad at you, huh?” She chuckles.

She’s willing to take her time to laugh for me. I want to cry. I’m unworthy.

I try standing up with her, and, “Aaaarghh...” She's screaming—but weirdly, it’s soft.

“Sorry...” She murmurs.

“W-what are you sorry for?!”

“Your class.... you helping me... you getting shocked here.....”

I sigh.

“What do you feel, jie?”

“Nothing... haha, chill.”

She’s shaking her head, but still pressing her eyes. She’s been making a sound but it’s vague, like, moans.

“Come on... tell me for real.”

“My, my stomach feels a bit funny... haha, someone just kicked it.”

They didn’t mention anything about stomach?

“Stop joking around, jie..”

“Someone literally kicked me... out of nowhere, here.”

“WHATTT??!”

THIS IS A LEGIT CRIME!!!@#%& WHOEVER DID THAT I’M GOING TO KILL THEN SLICE THEN FRY—

“Can you... help me walk into the room?” She mutters.

I nod, immediately assist her to the infirmary and help her to lay on one of the beds.

“Can you help me again... to loosen my belt?”

“S-sure,”

As the belt is off of the uniform, the front layer is starting to open a bit.

It’s showing her bruised belly.

IT’S HUGE AND FRIGGIN’ PURPLE SOBS I’M BOILED I COULD LITERALLY FLIP EVERYTHING—

“W-who did this, jie?”

“I don’t know.... everything was dark...”

“So you got that, during the blackout?”

“Yes....”

“—and Yuxi, did you see this infirmary’s nurse on your way here?”

“No, why?”

“She said she’s trying to get me something to ease my dizziness... in another infirmary maybe.”

Eh?

“When did she say that?”

“Right after wrapping my hand...”

“Jie, every nurse in this university only works until lunch time today.”

“No.... one was here.”

I take a look at a certain board nearby, which seems to display the name of the nurse in charge for each day.

Well, I see today’s date and it’s written that the nurse working today is.... A GUY.

I’m sure jie’s been addressing the nurse with “she” and “her”.

He’s checked out on 12 PM today.

“Jie, we’re going to the hospital. There’s no nurse.”

“W-wait, you don’t believe me?”

It hurts a little hearing that from her.

No. I shouldn’t let my melancholic side take over, because jiejie needs the strong me.

I’ll explain everything later, jie....

“I’m fine.... I’m still breathing and talking, you know—“ She murmurs.

“I do believe you. I just don’t, to the nurse.” I hold her hand and squeeze it a bit, because I’m pretty emo right now...

I move my hand to linger on his shoulder again, and support her body to stand. “Come on, slowly.”

Just then, we both walk out of the room.

But.... on our way, I feel that she’s getting heavier and heavier, and my heart doesn’t feel good about it.

I try taking a peek on her face.

Oh God, PANIC!

She’s super pale and her hazy eyes are seemingly almost unable to open at all. Her pupils dart to the upper part of her eyes as she slowly blinks.

I should’ve called an ambulance minutes ago. I thought.... she didn’t have that because there was no vomiting.

You’re not a medical student and you actually relayed everything to the Google. Stupid, careless, unworthy and unreliable Yuxi!

“I... I’m sorry jie, I’ll find help!”

I rest her back on the nearest wall and jet off to.... I don’t friggin’ know yet?

---

Ok, I just got back from jiejie’s locker to take her bag and find someone’s phone number. Yep, anyone would do, really.

Her locker’s password was way too predictable. I was only guessing according to her laid-back personality; 0000 or 1234 or her birthdate.

I was disappointed that my first attempt succeeded. It’s really bad, knowing that she’s got some mysterious enemies, these days.

I told myself that whoever popped in her call logs the most is going to be the person I call.

Crap.

The certain someone I was hoping for is the second most. Whatever, I’m still going to call him.

“The number you are calling is currently unavailable. Please try again in—“

Are you kidding me? There’s no friggin’ time for a try-again!

Yeah, no time for that, but in fact, I’ve tried around 8 times. I’m so hard-headed.

I sigh.

Ok, I’m calling the other person.

“Hey, what’s up?”

“Hello, I’m—“ No time for that. “XIAO XIN JIE IS DYING, HELP!”

“What!? Where—“

“Infirmary room 1, near Taekwondo room. Hurry, please!”

---

We brought jiejie to the nearest hospital with the guy’s car. She’s directly admitted in ICU. Meanwhile, I and him are currently sitting on a bench nearby.

I find it weird that this guy has been shockingly silent all the way here.

He’s been closing his eyes while resting his back on the wall.

Ok, he turns to me. “Would you tell me what happened?”

He clears his throat. “Sorry, I’m Lin Yanjun, from the Foreign Language Department.”

I know you.

The manner is ok, I see. But, I’m sorry, I still don’t favor you at all.

What is so godly about this person? Is it because he’s chic? Or well-mannered? Or just because everybody thinks that way?

Let me mentally slap myself.

Jiejie never just solely goes with everyone’s mainstream opinion. She’s unique and awesome.

“I’m Zhang Yuxi, from the Law Department.”

I let out a heavy sigh, then start telling him everything I heard from the students.

---

“But when I found her, she’s sitting on the ground, outside the infirmary. I don’t know what exactly happened there, but she said her stomach feels funny and that’s because someone just kicked her during the blackout.”

He flinched a bit. I notice that. Perhaps, he’s not as unworthy as I thought.

“Hey, the doctor is coming,” He pokes my shoulder then stands up.

“Liu Boxin’s guardian?” The doctor is turning his head to the left and right.

“Yes, we are her guardians.” He says. “How’s her?”

“There was internal bleeding inside her abdomen, but it has stopped, thankfully. You brought her in time.”

“It’s caused a pretty severe blood loss so we’re currently giving her a blood transfusion.”

“Wait... what about her hand?” I ask.

“It’ll be healed soon. There’s swelling below the thumb, but as long as she doesn’t use the hand for a few days, it’s fine.”

“And about the scratch, the bandage was wrapped properly that the blood has stopped by itself. As I said, the blood loss was caused by the internal bleeding.”

The doctor suddenly smiles at me.

“Did you do the wrap?”

I can only squint and bite my tongue.

“Well, good job, Miss.”

I chuckle... uneasily.

Who the frig was that? I don’t know if I have the feeling of saying thank you or not [to her].

“Hey, this is only between you and me.” I blurt to him as the doctor leaves us.

“I don’t know who did the wrap thing, but it happened in the infirmary, jie said it's done by a she, and she did it before the blackout.”

“You probably know it already that the infirmary's closed before the session even started... and I checked that the nurse working today was a guy."

He flashes his eyes and eyebrows.

This guy is soo silent. I thought jiejie loves fun guys.

Heard somewhere that Xiao Gui is hyper. I prefer him for her—

Wait, Wang Ziyi also doesn’t talk that much.

No way.