geez.

So It Goes

IT’S THE DAY. We’re finally going to see the result of my tremendous towels. Even it’s not the final exam yet, but all our classmates are treating it very seriously.

Everyone’s doing their makeup touchups and other preparations, in the dressing room at the backstage. It’s really crowded there.

But I went to the female locker room, instead.

---

It’s been a while since the last time I opened my locker. Particularly, because the classes I attended these days didn’t require any thick book I kept there.

When I open it, I gasp. Totally.

There are so many letters and boxes inside. I take one as a sample and examine it. It’s a small wrapped gift with an envelope glued on it. I crack the wrap open, and it’s….. a chocolate!

It's more like a squishy, because it's already melted.

Did they get the wrong locker or something?

Dear Liu Boxin,

Happy Valentine’s Day! I’m Jing, the one with beautiful writings. I was really glad when you initiated the conversation with me. I used to feel anxious that no one would talk to me, but then you came. Even if it’s just for the notes, I was still beyond thankful. To be frank, I initially thought you hate me. Hehe.

Would you be my friend in the future? Here’s a small gratitude for you. Please enjoy!^^

Your classmate,

Jing

I blink my eyes, like, a lot of times, then randomly take another envelope.

 

Hi I’m a girl and I have a crush on you! I have a boyfriend, though. Don’t get me wrong. Please borrow my notes again! I was so down that you didn’t take mine anymore TT.

Can you make weibo account, please?

Someone from your class.

They’re all about the notes. There’s seriously nothing memorable about me, other than that. Lol, a fact. But isn’t there any from a guy? I wonder.

UR SO COOL THAT U JUST WALKED OUT OF THE CLASS AFTER MR. HAN SCOLDED U

CAN I CALL U MY LAOSHI? ANW, HAPPY VALENTINEEEE!!!

That still sounds like a girl’s. Do I look uncool in front of the guys? But I’m still thankful that some girls are actually okay to have me around, and even like me.... haha.

I pack all the gifts to my bag, then return to the backstage.

“You two, up in 5.” One of the crew tells us.

“All good?” Xiao Gui asks me while turning my body, making sure that I’ve put the clip on properly; and I nod.

“I’m not trying to scare you or anything, but the scholarship corporate you applied, actually sent someone here.” He adds.

“I thought, outsiders aren’t allowed today?”

“They’re linked to this campus. Besides, we don’t know that maybe some people here also applied like you, right?”

“You’re up in 2! Stand there!”

---

So the performance’s just ended. I’m thankful that it’s pretty clean, even better than rehearsals. I’m not satisfied with my dance, though. But I think, at least, it’s still acceptable for the audience.

Me and Xiao Gui are currently sitting at the backstage, along with the others that have performed before us. We’re last, by the way.

“Hey, wanna know whether the guy likes your performance or not?” He whispers.

“The guy?”

“The scholarship guy.” He drags my wrist out of the room.

“Eh? When did you go to him?”

“I.... I have my own way.”

Then suddenly, my phone buzzes. The screen says that Yanjun just texted me.

YJ: Sorry I left early that I couldn’t greet you in person. But you guys were awesome! How could you call that a noob?

He sent me a selfie of him sitting on the tribune, while pouting and making a tiny heart with his thumb and index finger. How cute—

Me: Thanks for coming 😭

Me: Thanks for saying that it’s not a noob, too, haha

“You’re not that cheerful in our texts.” Xiao Gui blurts behind me.

Startled a bit, I turn. “I’m using a crying emoticon, and what is cheerful about that?” I twitch my face.

“Use more with others, too. At least show that you’re actually a living person.”

I roll my eyes.

“Anyways, my source told me that the guy kinda liked your performance.” He scratches the back of his head. “You’re totally getting it. I guess.”

Doesn’t that mean I don’t have to part-time anymore in the near future?

I pull him into a hug. “Thank you so much!” I release it then cup his face.

Bye work, bye boss, bye workmates! Just picturing myself saying that is already amazing.

“Thank you, so, much, for, everything!” I kiss his cheek, then hug him again.

Ok....

“Sorry!” I pull away in instant. His eyes have widened; I know it’s a cue for me to go away.

We’re currently at the very corner of the hall, right in front of the waiting room’s door. I can’t go anywhere other than scooting to the side.

So I move a step there, ready to leave him.

But, he puts his hand on the wall beside me, blocking my way out.

We’re like, facing each other.

I feel very uneasy; blood starts rushing from my feet to the head. He does look like a total heartthrob from this angle, with the hair swept to the right, black jacket and pants, and his earrings are so on point—I always love his earrings. It’s like some angry and confused feelings are popping inside my whole body.

“What are you going to—“ Since I see his eyes are looking at my lips, I quickly cover it with my right hand. His ears are currently red—totally scaring me.

In a blink of an eye, he grabs my hand from my lips, gulps, then presses his lips on them. He starts closing his eyes as he does that.

My heart is like in a marathon, even I don’t move any finger right now.

He places his left hand on the back of my neck, making sure that I stay still, while still pressing my lips, then puts my hand he’s holding on his waist.

He puts his right hand on my waist, to pull me closer to him. He does everything slowly that I feel worried, upset and uneasy.

As his breath brushes my skin, my heart starts beating like it’s aiming to hurt my chest. I in reflex attempt to pull my face away from his. But I fail, because his hand can’t seem to stop pressing my neck.

He moves his lips to my upper lip and starts messing around with it. It really dizzies me. My feet are getting cold, but my face and my hands are the complete opposite.

Science says, when your feet suddenly feel hot, it means they want to run from wherever you stand.

So, my feet want to stay but my hands and my head want to run, instead?

I press my eyes shut and start kissing his bottom lip. And like the previous premise; my free hand starts moving to cup his jaw. That hand of mine doesn’t want to stay there, so it keeps moving around.

His fingers are pressing my waist now. It’s ticklish and I want to tell him that. But I end up with only, “Hmmph...”

So my both hands just cup his face and push him a little bit. I’m still unable to fully open my eyes when I mumble, “It’s... ticklish can you s—“

My vision isn’t clear but I can see that he’s eyeing the upper part of my jacket that’s opened a bit. This is why I hated this outfit in the first place.

He leans into my neck and kisses it. This triggers my heartbeat to go even crazier. My chest is suffocated. I can’t breathe. “Can you.... stop that?” I push him away, slightly pant. “Please.”

As he tries to catch his breath, our classmate appears, “There you two.” The classmate runs to us. “Everyone’s heading to the after party at the bar. You two should go too. See you!”

Xiao Gui walks away, while scratching the back of his silky-stunningly-styled hair, and I just follow from behind.

---

I’m sitting beside him and wonder, why didn’t I stand behind his car debating about which seat I should choose first, like the old time. We’re currently on our way to the party, but it’s really cold here—awkward plus literal cold; I’ve zipped my jacket up just to warm myself a little bit. I should’ve changed into some warm tracksuits before going with him.

I turn to him, peeking at how he looks like in this kind of atmosphere.

Hot and stunning, still.

He’s wearing a little bit of makeup. Maybe that’s why he looks extra mesmerizing today. I stare at his jaw; there’s a slight touch of bronzer there. His lips; they’re red to pink, plump, and they tasted like cherries—

Tasted.

I shake my head very quickly.

“Have you eaten your meds yet?” He blurts—finally someone initiates to break the ice.

“Yes. Just before going on the stage.”

“Alright.” He’s too calm for someone who’s just had such heartwrenching kiss.

Since this reminds me of a quote from Einstein, I open my phone and starts surfing about it.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.

“Hmm, I remember it wrong. I thought he said if a guy’s still able to drive safely after kissing a girl, it means the kiss didn’t matter to him.”

He coughs, once—or more like he chokes.

“My motor skill is good, just so you know.”

I furrow my eyebrows. “Ok, that’s cool.”

“I...” He pauses. “It did matter, to me.”

“Why—“ I stop with widened eyes—I just finally get what he means.

Slow.

“I said it out loud, didn’t I?”

He blinks few times.

“I supposed to wonder that, sorry.”

“We were too awkward just now, so I started googling things and—“

I sigh. “Forget it.”

Can I stop bluffing unimportant things in panic?

“So it was awkward to you.” He mumbles.

I face him, startled. “N-no, I meant we were awkward here. In the car.”

That means I’m implying that the kiss was good?

Doesn’t seem right.

“S-so.... is that the bar?” I randomly point at the bar on the street.

“Nope. That’s the one.” He’s speeding up his car, then stops at some other bar there.