first and last

fight

“Let’s date, hmm?” Jeongyeon asks for the third time, whining a little. Nayeon is still frozen, unable to believe this is really happening, but manages to give a small nod.

 

 “Good.” Jeongyeon smiles. “Now that we are dating, I want to do it again.”

 

“W-what?” Nayeon barely manages to ask, shocked into silence.

 

“I want to kiss you again.” Before Nayeon can even react, Jeongyeon leans in, closing the gap again. The older girl has finally gotten her bearings back, and responds to the kiss. She had never imagined that this was going to be possible, still doesn’t believe this is actually happening. It feels like a dream, one where she will be woken up from to find herself back by her mother’s bedside.

 

But it’s not a dream, because Jeongyeon pulls away with such a big smile on her face as she entwines their hands together. “Let’s go home, I bet Bbosong and Nanan will be happy to see us.”

 

--

 

Jeongyeon is at the door when she hears the barks and scratching behind the door already, and there’s a big beam on her face as she opens the door and her two dogs hop around her legs, barking deliriously at her, so glad to see her after such a long time. “Bbosong-ah! Nanan-ah!”

 

They bark at her, as if greeting her, and when she bends down, they jump to attack her face, her, causing her to fall backwards onto the floor while trying to avoid them. Nayeon just smiles as she watches how Jeongyeon squirms around on the floor while her dogs attack her, her mood finally being lifted a little. She kneels down too, and the dogs immediately come to her, attacking her next and she laughs at the ticklish feeling of the dogs’ .

 

Jeongyeon gets up from the floor, smiling when she sees Nayeon smiling and laughing as she plays with her dogs. It’s the first smile from the girl for today, and she’s glad the girl is feeling better (although she’s kind of jealous that it’s her dogs who are making her this happy, and not herself).

 

“Bbosong! Nanan!” Mrs Yoo calls, and the dogs immediately run to her, circling around her legs.

 

Jeongyeon smiles, stretching out her hands waiting for a hug. “Hi mom, we are back.”

 

But she just walks over to Nayeon, hugging the girl tightly. “Is your mom feeling better?”

 

“Yeah, she’s feeling a lot better thankfully. Thank you for the concern.” Nayeon replies while hugging the other woman back. Jeongyeon just gapes at this exchange. Who’s her daughter here?!

 

“Mom! I’m here too!” Jeongyeon whines, wanting some attention from her mom too. She just receives a knock on the head from her mom, causing her to yell.

 

“Why can’t you be gentler like Nayeon?! You are always shouting!” Her mom shouts back at her ironically, obviously showing where Jeongyeon gets her genes from. Turning back to Nayeon, she changes totally, smiling gently at the girl. “I’m preparing dinner, go and wash up and it should be ready by then.”

 

Nayeon smiles. “Thank you, Auntie.”

 

“No problem.” Mrs Yoo then turns back to Jeongyeon, a stern look back on her face. “Hurry up and bring her to wash up.”

 

“It’s not like she doesn’t know where it is!” Jeongyeon shouts after her mother, who just ignores her and walks back to the kitchen. She grumbles under her breath, “Nobody loves me.”

 

Nayeon chuckles at the sulking Jeongyeon who still obediently leads the way to the bathroom for her, even though she does know where it is. “Well, I’m very sure there’s at least one person who loves you.”

 

“Are you talking about yourself?” Jeongyeon stops in her tracks to smirk at her, causing the two of them to nearly bump into each other. Nayeon feels herself heating up at the sudden proximity, and her eyes focus on the taller girl’s lips, totally giving her away.

 

She pushes Jeongyeon away from her. “Y-you wish.”

 

She runs into the bathroom and locks the door, causing Jeongyeon to laugh as she shouts after her. “There’s no need to be shy!”

 

Man, if she knew it would be so fun to tease Nayeon, she would totally have confessed earlier. But then again, if she knew Nayeon had feelings for her, she wouldn’t have hidden away her own feelings. If she knew Nayeon liked her, she wouldn’t have dated Bona, and they wouldn’t have to take such a long detour before finally getting together now. Jeongyeon makes a promise to herself to treat her girlfriend better to make up for all the time they lost.

 

--

 

After dinner with Jeongyeon’s parents, the two had retired to Jeongyeon’s room, and Nayeon is just lying on the girl’s bed as she thinks about their relationship. It still doesn’t register in her head that they are together now, she still can’t believe that it’s real. Are they really together now? But the way Jeongyeon confessed and asked her out happened so out of the blue that she’s not even sure if it really happened, or if it was just a figment of her imagination.

 

The door opens and Jeongyeon comes in, heading to pack her messy table. She knows that the girl doesn’t like to be bothered when she’s cleaning, but she can’t help but call out, wanting to clear things up, makes sure she’s not making things up. “Jeongyeonie?”

 

“Hmm?” Jeongyeon answers her, but her attention is focused on cleaning up.

 

“Why did you kiss me just now?”

 

This finally captures Jeongyeon’s attention, who halts all of her actions, before heading to sit beside Nayeon on the bed. She runs her hand through Nayeon’s hair, looking at the girl in the eyes to make sure she gets her point across. “Because I have wanted to do so for a long time.”

 

She knows that her confession just now outside the hospital may seem impulsive and rushed, and she understands Nayeon’s concerns; that she might be saying things she didn’t mean. But she wants to let Nayeon know that she means every word she said, and is going to say. “I really like you, Im Nayeon.”

 

Nayeon gulps at the sincerity in Jeongyeon’s voice. “What about Bona?”

 

“You, you, you. It’s always been you.” Jeongyeon rolls her eyes and retorts.

 

Nayeon swoons at those words, but she has to ask just to reaffirm again. “So we aren’t best friends anymore right? I can’t just be your best friend after that kiss. It will kill me.”

 

Jeongyeon leans in to peck Nayeon on the lips. “Well, then thank god because you are not going to die, my annoying girlfriend.”

 

Nayeon finally grins, the wide one where her bunny teeth show and Jeongyeon feels herself melting, a smile on her face as she watches her cute girlfriend. The older girl scoots over to one side of the bed, patting the empty space in front of her. “Sleep with me.”

 

“Woah, we are progressing a little too quickly, aren’t we?” Jeongyeon teases, earning her a smack on the arm.

 

“You know what I mean.”

 

Jeongyeon grins and goes to turn off the lights, before snuggling under the blanket with Nayeon, the latter immediately pulling one of her arms to use as an arm pillow, and draping her arm on Jeongyeon’s waist. They have had many sleepovers together, all ending with them in each other’s arms, so this isn’t the first time they are sleeping together like this, but why does it feel different? It feels so good, so comforting, so warm to have the other in their arms, and they never want to let go. Nayeon snuggles closer, mumbling a goodnight against Jeongyeon’s neck and the latter reciprocates with a forehead kiss and together, they are lulled to sleep by the warmth of the person in their arms.

 

--

 

Chaeyoung feels so severely out of place and uncomfortable, standing outside a three-star Michelin restaurant in the middle of Gangnam. Sachiko had texted her, wanting to meet her, and she knew it’s not going to be anything nice, judging from the previous meeting they had. But it would be rude to just reject this meeting, and she’s actually curious about what the older lady has to say to her to actually invite her out for dinner. That is why she left the café to Tzuyu (Jeongyeon and Nayeon are going to kill her if they find out) and is standing here in a suit and dress shoes borrowed from Dahyun, hoping that she doesn’t look too weird in it. Tugging on her blazer nervously, she steps into the restaurant, the waiter at the counter immediately bowing at her and asking for her reservation.

 

“I think the reservation is under Mrs Sachiko?” She answers timidly, and the waiter smiles affirmatively at her before ushering her to the second floor, and into a private room.

 

Mrs Myoui is sitting there, browsing through the menu and Chaeyoung immediately feels smaller. She squares her shoulders, trying to make herself look more confident before entering the room. She knows from previous experience that it will always be hard when she meets the older woman, and the least she can do is to show a strong front, even if it’s fake. She can’t show that she’s a pushover, not when she wants to negotiate and fight for Mina. 

 

“Chaeyoung-ssi, thank you for taking time to meet me today.” Sachiko puts aside her menu to greet her curtly.

 

“Thank you for inviting me.” Chaeyoung asks. She knows Sachiko definitely did not invite here to eat scallops and steak, so she gets to the point. “May I ask what’s the reason for this meeting today?”

 

Sachiko laughs, liking the straightforwardness of the fighter. “Well then, since you asked, I won’t beat around the bush then. I have something to show you.” She tells her, getting out of her seat elegantly and walking over to the glass wall where they can see the first floor of the restaurant. Chaeyoung follows her carefully, making sure to leave some distance between her and the older woman before she looks down at the first floor of the restaurant.

 

It’s sparse, with less than ten tables occupying the big space, making sure that each table has their own private space. All tables are all taken, but what catches her eyes is the table right in the middle, where a young handsome man is seated with a young pretty lady, seemingly on a date. Chaeyoung doesn’t recognize the guy, but she knows the lady very well. The lady accepts the big bouquet of roses that the guy holds out, giving a small smile to him, and although she can tell that she didn't mean it, that she is just being polite and courteous, she can’t help but feel like her heart is being stabbed and cut apart.

 

“That guy is Seo Jaehyung, the son of the current CEO of JT Corporation. They are the third biggest company in Korea, and he’s set to inherit it. Kids like him go to the best schools, eat the most expensive food, learn 2 instruments and 5 languages so they can be at their best to inherit their parents’ company.” Sachiko says.

 

“Mina can either choose someone like him, of the same social class as her, and live a life of luxury. On the contrary, she can choose you, and lose all of this. Knowing how stubborn Mina is, she will never give up on you. That is why, I want you to make this choice for her, Chaeyoung-ssi. Leave her, for her own good.”

 

Chaeyoung looks down again, looking at Mina carefully. She looks so unhappy even though she’s in this expensive restaurant, eating expensive food and drinking expensive wine. This may be a life of luxury, but Mina doesn’t even look like she wants to be here. She knows this isn’t what Mina wants, but she can’t help but be swayed like the older woman’s words.

 

“Mina isn’t happy…” She mumbles.

 

“Yes, you guys may be happy and in love now, but love doesn’t fill your stomach. It doesn’t foot the bill. Also, you and I both know that this type of relationship is still being shunned in our society. Do you want Mina to live her whole life being ridiculed and discriminated against?” Seeing that Chaeyoung is being swayed already, Mrs Myoui decides to use her last trump card to seal the deal. “If Mina goes with you, she walks away with nothing. Not only her inheritance, but also her family. I’d rather not have a daughter than to have a disgraceful one.”

 

Sachiko knows how much family means to an orphan like Chaeyoung, and she will never let Mina lose hers because of her.

 

“Mina’s future is in your hands now, Chaeyoung-ssi.”

 

It’s only now that Chaeyoung realizes the meeting today is not a negotiation, but an ultimatum. She didn’t stand a chance from the start. The fighter laughs soullessly. She’s so naïve to think that she can change Sachiko’s mind with her sincerity, so naïve to think that love can conquer everything. She takes one last look at Mina, and makes up her mind. (It’s not like she has a choice anyway.)

 

“I will break up with her, so leave her alone. She will be the daughter you want.” Chaeyoung tells Sachiko the answer she wants, and bows before leaving. She’s at the door when the older woman speaks up again.

 

“Please do so as soon as possible. News of Mina liking a girl must not spread out.”

 

Chaeyoung clenches her fist. “Don’t worry, I will do it by tonight.”

 

--

 

Jeongyeon takes the liberty to hold Nayeon’s hands, squeezing them to get the latter’s attention. “Are you okay?”

 

They had just visited Mrs Im at the hospital, and although the doctor had said that she is okay and is fit enough to be discharged tomorrow, Nayeon’s mood is still very down, and Jeongyeon wants to know why, wants to make her feel better. Nayeon just leans into her for comfort, sighing. Instinctively, the taller girl wraps her arms around the bunny, patting her head gently. “The doctor said Auntie is a lot better already, so don’t worry too much, okay?”

 

“I know… but times like this, I feel like such a bad daughter.” Nayeon laments. “I’m a 2-hour drive away from them, and I can’t even be beside them immediately when something like this happens. What happens if it’s something more serious next time? I won’t even be able to make it in time if that happens…”

 

“Shhh, don’t say such things. Your parents are very healthy, so don’t think too much. Also, I know better than anyone that you are the most devoted, loving and filial daughter I have ever seen.” Jeongyeon tells her truthfully. Nayeon talks to her parents on the phone almost every night after work and gives most of the money she earns to her parents, and Jeongyeon who has always been beside her sees all of this, so she knows very well how well the bunny treats her parents, and she will not let her insult herself like this. “They know and appreciate everything you have done, so don’t downgrade yourself like that, okay?”

 

Nayeon just sighs. “I just feel like I can do more for them, you know? Like I know they don’t say it out, but they would be happy if I moved back. And sometimes I wish I can do that too, so I can take care of them by their side.”

 

“Do it. Don’t worry and just do whatever you want, because I will always be behind you, supporting you.” Jeongyeon reassures her.

 

“If I move back, you will have to take care of the café by yourself.”

 

“You are not that important; the café will still function without you.” Jeongyeon rolls her eyes, earning her a hit on the arm from Nayeon. “How dare you! I order all the stocks in the shop, you try doing stock taking next time!”

 

Jeongyeon laughs, pulling away from the hug to lead Nayeon to her motorbike. The girl can be too narcissist for her own good sometimes. She opens her boot to take out the helmets, putting it on for Nayeon first.

 

“But most importantly, we will be away from each other.” Nayeon says sadly, and Jeongyeon clips the chin part of the helmet together, before pushing the visor of the helmet down to cover her eyes. “Who said so? I will come back with you.”

 

“Then who’s going to take care of the café?!” Nayeon lifts up the visor to stare at her.

 

“We can just get a manager, or even just the part-timers to oversee the operations of the café. Then we can just go down to check on things once a week or something if you are still worried.” Being the boss doesn’t mean they have to be there all the time, they can outsource the work to other people. They are only working at the café now because they want to save on the labour costs by doing it by themselves. But since the café is doing decently enough, they can afford to have a full-time manager to help them handle the operations of the café if they want to.

 

Jeongyeon puts on her own helmet, and knocks against Nayeon’s lightly. “You are not getting rid of me so easily.”

 

It’s weird seeing Jeongyeon be so affectionate with her words and actions, but Nayeon isn’t complaining one bit. She gets on the bike first, and Jeongyeon gets on after, and she loops her arms around the taller girl’s waist tightly, not because she’s scared, but because she just wants to be closer to her.

 

“Thank you.” Jeongyeon had always been on her side, supporting her, reassuring her, made plans for her whenever she said she wanted to do something, and it’s the same this time too. The only difference is that it makes her heart warm whenever the girl does something like that now, and she loves it, loves how warm she can make her feel just with a few words.

 

“Anything for you, idiot.”

 

--

                                                                                                                               

She really doesn’t want to do it, but there’s nothing she can do about it. It’s funny how she was still looking at flowers online in the afternoon, deciding which ones to get to placate Mina, but now she doesn’t even know if she should do that, can do that now. She looks blankly at the flowers in front of her, her eyes lingering on the roses longer than the others. She is reminded of the scene at the restaurant just now and she finds herself asking the florist impulsively. “Ahjumma, how much for 99 roses?”

 

“$250.”

 

Chaeyoung just shakes her head while chuckling a little at the exorbitant price. This just highlights their differences even more. But it’s because they are different, that Mina likes her and not him. Mina deserves something better than just plain flowers, and the little fighter refuses to let her last gift to Mina be cliché things like flowers and chocolates. She knows how much Mina loves handmade things, and Chaeyoung is determined to do one last thing for her, even if this is going to be her last gift, her break up gift to Mina.

 

That’s why she just gets wrapping paper at the florist, and leaves for the nearest convenience store.

 

--

 

Chaeyoung sits at the playground near Mina’s house, just staring blankly at the street in front of her. She’s just been sitting like this for a few hours now, thinking through everything. She’s thinking if she should just ignore Mrs Myoui’s warning and run off with Mina, live a carefree life with just the two of them (Mina definitely won't mind), but she can’t be so selfish to make her lose her family. She’s thinking if she should just run back home, and break up with Mina tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow, or maybe never, but she had already told Mrs Myoui that it’s happening tonight.

 

She sees the familiar black car driving past, and knows Mina is back from her dinner date. It’s time, and even though she really doesn’t want to do it, she has to. Reluctantly, she sends a text to Mina, asking the girl to meet her. Mina has been ignoring her texts her whole day, and she’s been dying to get a response, but ironically, she wishes Mina will continue to ignore her texts, so that they won’t meet, so that she doesn’t have to say what she’s forced to say.

 

But it doesn’t even take a few minutes before Mina comes running to the playground. She slows down to a jog as she gets nearer to Chaeyoung, and the fighter stands up, waiting for Mina to get close enough before she engulfs her in a tight hug, one where she doesn’t want to let her go, if possible.

 

Mina melts a little at the gesture, but she knows it’s probably one of Chaeyoung’s antics to convince her to let her fight again. But she’s going to stand her ground this time, she’s not going to give in this time, not when it’s equivalent to Chaeyoung sending herself to die on the octagon. (Okay, she’s exaggerating, but she just doesn’t want her sunshine to get hurt.) Nevertheless, she hugs the smaller girl back, but uses her words to show her unhappiness. “I’m still mad at you.”

 

You deserve to be. And you can continue to be mad at me for the rest of your life. Chaeyoung thinks, just snuggling tighter into Mina’s embrace, wanting to make sure that she remembers the warmth of being hugged by Mina for the rest of her life.

 

Mina knows that it must be hard for Chaeyoung now, that her favourite person in the world is stopping her from doing her favourite thing in the world, but she really can’t watch Chaeyoung take the risk and end up getting hurt or even killed. She sighs, patting Chaeyoung on the head. “I don’t want you to give up on your dreams, but I really don’t want you to get hurt. It hurts me to see you get hurt, you know?”

 

It hurts me to see you get hurt too, and that is why I have to let you go. Chaeyoung pulls away, forcing a smile on her face, hoping that it doesn’t come out weird. She looks at Mina carefully, taking in all of her features, wanting to imprint this in her memory, because she will probably never be this close to Mina ever again. She kisses Mina’s constellations of moles down from the ones on her forehead, to the one on the bridge of her nose, to the ones around her lips, lingering there for a longer while before pulling away to lean their foreheads together.

 

Mina giggles a little as she catches her breath, totally forgetting that she’s supposed to be ‘angry’ at her sunshine. “Why are you being so clingy today?”

 

She doesn’t answer, just brings the bouquet she’s been holding onto since earlier to the front, presenting it to Mina. It’s a badly wrapped bouquet of Ferrero Rocher, done up by herself, and it probably looks so insignificant compared to the big bouquet of roses Mina got just now, but she can tell that Mina likes this so much better because the girl gasps and takes it happily from her, her big smile so different from that polite smile just now in the restaurant. (She just wants to pamper Mina like this, even if it’s just for a few minutes. Just for a few more minutes, that’s all she asks for.)

 

“What’s with the sudden gift?” Mina asks.

 

“I just felt like it.” Chaeyoung smiles as she fixes Mina’s hair. Because I won’t be able to pamper you with surprise gifts like this anymore in the future. Because I want to give you one last gift.

 

Mina swoons at the gesture, loving this so much more than those roses she got just now. This bouquet from Chaeyoung is probably 100 times cheaper, more shoddily done than the 99 roses she received just now, but she loves it because she can feel the sincerity and effort that went into it. “Thank you.” She says, but adds in at the end to remind Chaeyoung, “But don’t think this will make me change my mind, because I will never support you if you want to go back to fight.”

 

Chaeyoung nods. It’s time. She has hugged, kissed, given her gift to Mina, she can’t drag this out any longer. She knows her next words will change their relationship forever, but she has to say it, no matter how much she doesn’t want it, doesn’t mean it. “Mina, let’s break up.”

 

Mina freezes, she had expected them to talk about it, Chaeyoung whining a little, and even though she doesn’t agree to her sunshine’s decision, she will still support her eventually, turning up at her matches like usual, because she’s that whipped for her sunshine. But not this. Anything but this. “W-what?”

 

She can feel Mina’s intense stare at her, but she doesn’t look at her, because she’s sure her resolve will break if she makes eye contact with her favourite person in the world, who still remains her favourite even in this moment when she is about to lose her. (She has no doubt she will continue to remain to be her favourite even after today, maybe even forever.) “I know you don’t want me to continue fighting, but I can’t give up MMA like this. So if my actions are going to cause you so much agony, I think it’s best we stop whatever we have right now.”

 

Chaeyoung finally gathers the courage to look up, because Mina deserves it, even if it wrenches her heart to look at the latter in the eyes. “Let’s not meet after today.”

 

“You are giving me up for MMA?” Mina asks incredulously, unable to believe what is happening right now.

 

“You will find someone better in the future,” Chaeyoung forces a smile on her face, “One who won’t give up on you, one who you don’t have to worry about all the time.”

 

Mina feels her blood boil. She can’t believe Chaeyoung is giving her up so easily like this. She just has to persuade her a little, and Mina would have given in, heck, she didn’t even have to persuade her, Mina may be saying that she doesn’t agree, but it’s just because she’s worried for the fighter. If Chaeyoung is so adamant on fighting, what else can she do other than to support her, and worry for her in the audience stands around the octagon? The fighter didn’t have to choose, but she did and her choice disappointed Mina, even more than the decision of her wanting to fight again. Out of impulse, her hand flies and makes contact with Chaeyoung’s face (but she instantly regrets when her hand makes impact).

 

“You have all the right to be mad at me. Don’t forgive me.” Chaeyoung says softly as she holds her cheek, not even trying to placate her.

 

“Take your words back.” Mina says through gritted teeth.

 

“I’m sorry.” 

 

“Son Chaeyoung, I’m asking you one last time. Is this really what you want?”

 

Chaeyoung doesn’t say anything, just looks down at her feet silently. She clenches her teeth, resisting the urge to say no, that all she ever wanted, all she ever wants is her. But the world is cruel, and you can’t have everything you want in life. That is why, she just keeps silent, refusing to make eye contact with the girl in front of her, her favourite girl in the world, because she knows she will give in if she does.

 

Mina laughs emptily. “You think you are so selfless, giving me up so that I won’t worry about you? But you know what? You are actually so selfish, making decisions all by yourself! Have you ever asked how I felt? What I want?”

 

She waits a beat, but Chaeyoung still maintains her silence.

 

 “Fine. Whatever. Do whatever you want. We have nothing to do with each other from now on.” Mina says, hoping that Chaeyoung will hold onto her, will ask her to stay, will say sorry for sprouting those nonsense. (She will forgive her in a heartbeat.) But the fighter doesn’t, just continues staring at the ground, and Mina knows it’s not going to happen. She scoffs and shoves the bouquet of chocolates back to Chaeyoung before stomping back home.

 

Chaeyoung watches Mina leave, stomping up the road back to her house, makes sure she goes back in before she collapses onto the bench, just sitting there and letting everything sink in. She has gone ahead and done it, broke up with the person she treasured the most in the world. Her vision starts going blurry, and it clears when she blinks, falling as tears down her face and onto her lap. She just hopes this is worth it. It has to be, if it hurts so much.

 

--

a/n: one couple takes a step forward, the other takes a step back. 

a few readers had mentioned that they were worried at how michaeng had started off so sweet because it meant that will hit the fans, and well this is your answer.