i can't

fight

Chaeyoung tugs the hood of her jacket over her head, making herself look unapproachable so that people will not come and talk to her. It’s scary being in such a crowded place but not being able to hear a thing, but she toughs it out, looking for her friends. After Mina came over the other day, she thinks it’s fair she pays her two friends a visit too, not wanting them to worry anymore.

 

She’s at Tzuyu and Dahyun’s university cafeteria, knowing that she can find the two of them here. (Dahyun is still pursuing a degree alongside her MMA career, and Chaeyoung thinks she’s amazing to be able to cope. She had decided on focusing on MMA during high school, and didn’t see the need to continue to university.) It’s lunch time so the cafeteria is crowded, but thankfully she spots the two of them at the table in the corner, and she decides to grab her food before joining them.

 

She places her tray down beside Tzuyu, clearing . “Why are you guys so down when I’m not even here to say lame jokes?”

 

Dahyun drops her chopsticks, and Tzuyu looks like her eyes are going to pop out any second. But the very next moment, Dahyun picks up her chopsticks and throws them at her, while Tzuyu holds her in a headlock. Dahyun’s lips are moving, most probably screaming at her, but she can’t hear her anyway.

 

“Dude, I can’t hear, remember?” Chaeyoung points at her ear, reminding them.

 

Tzuyu immediately lets go of the headlock, hugging her instead and Dahyun looks down in guilt before typing on her phone.

 

“Sorry… It’s not getting better?”

 

“Unfortunately. But it will come back soon.” Chaeyoung shrugs. She’s worried of course, but she doesn’t want to make her friends more worried by voicing out her thoughts.

 

“Do you want me to make her lose her hearing too? I just have to make a call.” Tzuyu types. The Taiwanese girl also comes from a rich family, and has her own crew of bodyguards she can call for help if anything happens. (Honestly, Chaeyoung doesn’t even know why she’s working at Jeongyeon and Nayeon’s café when she’s so rich, but Tzuyu says it’s to kill time. How rich do you have to be to get a part time job just to ‘kill time’?) She taps her phone, as if to make her point. She can totally just make a call and her group of bodyguards will do it.

 

Chaeyoung gasps in shock. “Tzuyu, you can’t do that!”

 

“She literally made the call when you were still unconscious at the hospital then. I had to fight her to end the call.” Dahyun shakes her head while Tzuyu just shrugs nonchalantly.

 

The fighter knows her friends are all doing this because they care and she smiles a little, grateful for them. “Thanks guys, for everything.”

 

Tzuyu rolls her eyes and Dahyun mock barfs, but there are smiles on their faces. They focus on their food and catch up with each other’s lives, until Dahyun broaches the sensitive topic, one that everyone is probably curious about.

 

“So, what are you going to do?” Dahyun asks, curious what the fighter will do now.

 

Chaeyoung hasn’t told anyone yet, deciding to come to her two friends first, because if anything, they will probably be the most supportive of her decision. (Jeongyeon and Mina is a clear definite no, so she will tell them last, Nayeon and Jihyo will probably relent after a bit of persuasion, and Sana and Momo probably wouldn’t have much issues with it, but they will tell Mina so she will tell them later too.) She puts down her utensils, sitting up straight in her seat. “I want to continue.”

 

She sees Dahyun throw a fist up in the air before smiling smugly while placing her open palm in front of Tzuyu. The Taiwanese girl rolls her eyes before slapping a bill onto her outstretched hands, and Chaeyoung narrows her eyes.

 

“Did you guys place a bet on me again?” She asks incredulously.

 

“But we both know you are going to continue.” Tzuyu types for Chaeyoung, before shoving Dahyun’s taunting hand that is waving the bill in front of her away.

 

“So why did you bet against it?”

 

“I lost rock-paper-scissors.” What a simple reason. But it also means both of them know that she’s going to make this decision, and they support her regardless. Their support may seem insignificant, but it means so much to her.

 

“You guys are fine with it?” Chaeyoung asks.

 

“Come on, the Chaeyoung we know will never give up so easily. You better be prepared, I’m not going to go easy on you once you come back for training.” Dahyun lifts her sleeves to show off how threatening she is, which brings a laugh from the both of them.

 

“Yeah, Jihyo-unnie is probably sick of taking all the kids’ class and teaching them how to punch the sandbag. You should go back and give her something to do.” Tzuyu pats her on the back and she nods. She intends to head over to the gym to talk to Jihyo later, maybe even do some physical training if the older girl allows.

 

But she checks her phone and see a message from Jeongyeon, and knows that her plans will have to wait. She hurriedly stuffs the rest of her food in and stands up. “Yah I’m going, Jeongyeon-unnie needs me at the café. Tzuyu, come in for work earlier if you can, Nayeon-unnie’s mom is hospitalized, so she’s taking the day off to visit her.”

 

Tzuyu salutes, and Chaeyoung sprints for the bus stop.

 

--

 

The café is a mess when Chaeyoung walks in, the queue at the counter stretching all the way to the entrance. She barely manages to squeeze through, heading for the counter where she sees a frazzled Nayeon working the cashier, looking very dishevelled and out of sorts. Jeongyeon is managing the coffee machine, but she is also very distracted as she keeps looking over at Nayeon worriedly. Chaeyoung enters the work area, and Jeongyeon heaves a sigh of relief when she sees her. They share a nod, and Chaeyoung enters the backroom to prepare.

 

Jeongyeon leaves her station, going to Nayeon. “Nabongs, you can go now. Chaeng is here.”

 

The girl looks at her with wet eyes, and Jeongyeon knows she’s trying her best not to cry. She pulls Nayeon into a hug tightly, hoping it will make the older girl feel better. “Hey, don’t worry too much okay? I’m sure it will be fine.”

 

She feels Nayeon nodding, and Jeongyeon runs her hands through Nayeon’s hair. “Call me when you reach. Don’t worry about the café, I can handle it.”

 

Chaeyoung comes back out with an apron on, and Nayeon’s belongings in her hands. Jeongyeon helps Nayeon undo her apron before pulling away to help her take it off entirely, and Chaeyoung helps her to sling her bag on.

 

“I’ll be back.” Nayeon promises with a shaky voice, before running out of the café.

 

Nayeon is the one that left, but why does Jeongyeon feel like a piece of her has left with Nayeon? The trip back to their hometown takes at least 2 hours, and she knows Nayeon will definitely be overthinking during the trip back. She can’t help but worry if the girl will be okay alone, and she really wishes to be beside her now, but work calls. She sighs and brings her focus back to the café, pointing Chaeyoung to the machines while she works the cashier.

 

--

 

Chaeyoung pours the two shots of coffee into the cup before pouring steamed milk to fill it up, and puts a cap and a sleeve on it before giving it to the customer in front of her with a smile. The girl receives it with a smile and she sees a blush on her face before the customer ducks her head, and Chaeyoung wonders what’s wrong. The crowd has slowed down, so there’s no incoming orders at the moment, and she looks at the girl go to the corner table where her friend is, the two talking in hushed whispers as they look at her. (Okay seriously, what’s with that? Is there something on her face or something?)

 

Tzuyu enters the counter area after cleaning the tables, snickering as she exchanges a short conversation with Jeongyeon before heading to the back to wash the plates and cups she collected. Jeongyeon grins teasingly at her and she walks over to the older girl, wanting to know the inside joke too. This is one thing she hates about her current disability, it makes her feel left out in conversations, makes her feel cut off from social interaction, having to wait for the others to write or type their words for her before she can understand them.

 

Jeongyeon slides over a piece of paper. Our customerSSS think you are cute.

 

Chaeyoung rolls her eyes, and Jeongyeon gestures with her head towards the café area. And when she turns over to look, there are indeed a lot more younger customers than usual, boys and girls, all looking at her intently. She immediately averts her gaze, suddenly feeling very conscious. Jeongyeon laughs before scribbling some more on the paper.

 

Maybe we should hold an event: “Spend $10 and above to get a photo with our good looking barista!”

 

Chaeyoung glares at her older sister, thinking if she should hit her when the latter laughs and pats her on the shoulder encouragingly, turning to serve the new customer at the counter. But everything came into focus suddenly. The chatter of the café, the sound of the water rushing in the backroom where Tzuyu is washing the plates, Jeongyeon’s and the customer’s conversation. It’s like her ears are finally cleared of the water that has been stuck in there, and she can hear everything so clearly. She nearly cries out in joy; her hearing is finally back!

 

She hears the customer ordering a cheesecake, and before Jeongyeon even writes down the order to tell her, she grabs a plate and place a piece on it, placing it at the cashier for the customer.

 

“Thanks,” Jeongyeon tells her absentmindedly as she swipes the customer’s card through the machine for payment.

 

“You are welcome.” Chaeyoung replies her, finally hearing her own voice after so long.

 

It takes a few seconds for Jeongyeon to realize that the little fighter actually responded to her verbal words and she almost snaps her neck when she turns around to look at the younger girl. Chaeyoung is looking at her with the biggest grin on her face, and she puts two and two together. She engulfs the younger girl in the biggest and tightest hug possible, almost crying tears of joy.

 

“Your hearing is back?” She asks, just to confirm.

 

Chaeyoung nods and Jeongyeon is so happy that she even lifts the younger girl up from the ground a little. It’s been a bad week, from Chaeyoung’s loss and injury to Nayeon’s mom being hospitalized, so it’s good to hear that Chaeyoung has finally recovered from her temporary loss of hearing. Finally, some good news.

 

“Nayeon will be so happy to hear about this.” The girl suddenly comes to mind, and Jeongyeon is worried again. Did she get back home safely? Is her mother okay? God, now she needs to check on her, or even better, be by her side.

 

“Unnie,” Chaeyoung tells her with a smile, “If you are worried about her, go. Tzuyu and I can handle things here.”

 

Jeongyeon doesn’t even hesitate, giving her little sister another hug before running to the backroom to get her things. You would expect her to decline, to stay here and take care of things as one of the main owners of the café, but her worries for Nayeon far exceeded her responsibilities for the café. Nayeon comes first, always.

 

She reminds the kids on what to do when closing the shop, and the two shoo her off with complaints of her being a mom who nags too much. The last thing she sees before she leaves the café is Tzuyu hugging Chaeyoung tightly when she realizes the girl can hear again and she smiles at the sight before jogging to her bike. The café is in safe hands, and she is on her way to make sure Nayeon is too. Wait for me, Nabongs.

 

--

 

Chaeyoung stands outside the dark gym, peering in as she gathers courage. She had decided to pay Jihyo a visit after closing the café, and she knows her coach is still in, seeing how the lights are still on in the coach’s office. She had come all the way here, there’s no backing out now. She takes a deep breath, and enters. Striding to the office, she knocks on the door and opens it, and Jihyo’s eyebrows lift in surprise, obviously not expecting to see her here.

 

“What are you doing here?” (Jihyo must have forgotten about her temporary disability, because she just talks to her normally.)

 

Well thankfully, it’s gone now, and she can hold a proper conversation without the person having to type or write. She stands in the middle of the room, her hands behind her back. “My hearing is back.”

 

Jihyo’s eyes widen, whether at the shock of the news, or that she had forgotten about the disability she used to have (It happens very often, and she didn’t really mind, but people were always very sorry when it does.), Chaeyoung doesn’t know. But the older girl looks like a heavy weight is removed off her shoulders, heaving a sigh of relief. “That’s good news.”

 

Yes, that’s the good news, but there’s still the not-so-good news left. Chaeyoung squares her shoulders, standing up straight. She really needs to get it across that she’s serious about her next words. “I want to continue fighting.”

 

“Chaeng…”

 

“I know,” She interrupts before Jihyo can continue, “I know I will lose my hearing permanently if I get hurt again. But… I have been fighting for so long, and it has always been one of the constants in my life. I can’t just give up on it just like that. I want to continue fighting, even if it means I will lose my hearing.”

 

“Nothing is more important than your health, Chaeyoung-ah.” Jihyo speaks from experience. The kid still has the chance to stop right now before she gets hurt even further, one she didn’t have last time. She can’t let the kid end up like her, so she has to stop the kid before she ends up like her, broken beyond repair. (Although she knows that if given the choice like the kid before her, she might just make the same decision.)

 

“It’s not a guarantee that I will lose my hearing, I will just be more careful from now on.” Chaeyoung tries to reason. She has fought so many times before, and this is the one time she got such a serious injury. She trusts that it won’t happen again.

 

“But there’s a risk to it.”

 

“It’s a risk I’m willing to take.” Chaeyoung brings her hands in front of her, almost bending herself in half to bow to Jihyo. “Please, Coach.”

 

--

 

She knows Jihyo will relent with a bit of persuasion, so she isn’t that worried talking to her. It’s the next person she’s about to talk to that she is worried about, eyes focused on the dance studio across the street even as she hits the sandbag in front of her. (That’s how they meet, when Mina is here for her dance classes and Chaeyoung is here for training.) Mina has ballet practice today, so she’s waiting for the girl to end, wanting to tell her girlfriend the news. People begin to stroll out from the dance studio, and she knows they must have wrapped up. She hurriedly stops the sandbag and heads out, hoping she will be able to catch the girl before she leaves.

 

Thankfully, Chaeyoung spots her just as she stands up after locking up the gym and she calls out for her. “Minari!”

 

Mina brightens up the moment she spots her, running to hug her tightly. Like the considerate angel she is, she immediately pulls out her phone to type. (Even Jeongyeon and Nayeon forgets about her temporary disability at times, talking to her first out of habit, but Mina has never done so, always typing or writing to converse with her.) Chaeyoung pushes her phone down, smiling at her gently. “No need for that anymore.”

 

It takes Mina a few seconds to register her words, and when she does, she speaks slowly, as if Chaeyoung will have trouble understanding her. “Can… you… hear… me?”

 

Chaeyoung laughs at how cute her girlfriend is being. “I can hear you just fine, you don’t have to talk like that.”

 

Mina pulls her back into her embrace. “Oh thank god.” She whispers more to herself than to Chaeyoung, but the fighter can hear her loud and clear.

 

“I missed your voice.” The fighter rests her head on Mina’s shoulder, relishing in the girl’s warmth.

 

Mina pulls away to glare at her playfully. “Just my voice?”

 

Chaeyoung leans in to peck her, winking at her. “You know what I mean.”

 

Mina tugs a stray strand of hair behind the fighter’s ear. “I was so worried, but I’m so glad you are okay now.”

 

Chaeyoung smiles and averts her gaze, knowing that her next piece of news will make her girlfriend worried again. She has to tell her anyway, so she might as well get it done and over with. “Mina… I want to… No, I’m going back to fight.”

 

Mina takes a step back like she’s physically repelled by that idea. “No.”

 

“Minari, I-“

 

“You might lose your hearing. For real this time.”

 

“Like you said, it’s a ‘might’. It’s just a possibility, I will be more careful from now on.”

 

Mina unlocks her phone, pulling up a page she has on her browser. She had been researching, and is horrified by the results. “This,” she says as she scrolls, “this person died from a head injury. And this person can never walk again after hurting his spinal cord. Why are you risking your life by fighting again?!”

 

Chaeyoung has never heard Mina shout before, and she knows the girl is absolutely livid by how much her voice has risen. “Being a MMA fighter is my dream ever since I was young, I can’t give it up like this. Please understand.”

 

Mina closes her eyes, trying to calm herself down. How is she supposed to ‘understand’, when Chaeyoung is telling her that she wants to put herself in danger again? She shakes her head. “I’m sorry, but I can’t, I just… I just can’t.”

 

Chaeyoung reaches out for her, but the ballerina takes another step back. “I’m sorry, I need to get back home.”

 

Mina turns away and walks back to her family car that has been waiting for her, and Chaeyoung doesn’t stop her. She knows the girl needs the time to process everything, and even then, she still may not support her. Screw it, she knows for a fact that Mina will never approve of this decision she’s making. But she’s sticking to it, because there are so many things at stake beyond just fulfilling her childhood dream. She has to fight for both Jihyo and herself now. Mina’s mother also plays a part, she doesn’t want to make it seem like she’s backing down from the challenge Sachiko set for her. That is why, she has to, she must fight against Eunjin again to settle their scores once and for all. Even if she’s going to lose her hearing, her sight, her life, she’s going to do it.

 

--

 

Jeongyeon removes her helmet, finally freed from it after almost 2 hours of nonstop driving. She had almost killed her bike to speed down from Seoul to Chuncheon, but it’s worth it if it means she gets to be beside Nayeon. She finds her way quickly, standing outside the room and she takes a minute to catch her breath before she knocks and enters. The room is dimmed, and Nayeon’s mother is asleep on the bed, and Nayeon is holding onto her mother’s hand, tear streaks evident on her face.

 

“Nabongs…” She calls out gently, and Nayeon doesn’t even question why she’s here, just reaches out for her with her free hand.

 

Jeongyeon walks over, and Nayeon immediately burrows her face into her shirt. She starts shaking, and the next second, she’s stifling her sobs as she cries into Jeongyeon’s shirt. The taller girl just lets her be even if her shirt is getting soaked, patting Nayeon gently on the head, knowing that the girl needs this comfort now.

 

It’s only when Nayeon’s sobs are reduced to sniffles that Jeongyeon lets go, pulling a chair to sit beside Nayeon. But even then, her hand is entwined with Nayeon’s, her thumb rubbing against the back of Nayeon’s hand to reassure her that ‘I’m here now’.

 

“The doctor says it’s kidney stones. It will probably be flushed out by itself within the next few days, but if it doesn’t, then she has to go for op to remove it.” Nayeon tells her about her mother’s condition, and she heaves in relief knowing that it’s not anything more serious.

 

“But she was in so much pain just now, I feel so helpless not being able to do anything to help.” Nayeon starts crying again, and Jeongyeon wipes away her tears.

 

“Don’t worry so much, she’s okay now right? She will be fine, it will all be okay.” Without her even realizing it, she leans in to plant a kiss on Nayeon’s forehead. She pulls away to see Nayeon staring at her like she has grown a head, but who wouldn’t really, when she just kissed her voluntarily? (Jeongyeon never, ever kisses her despite her whining and nagging on her birthday to get just one birthday kiss, but here is Yoo Jeongyeon just giving her one without any qualms or hesitation.)

 

Thankfully, the door opens, sparing them from the awkward confrontation that was about to happen. Jeongyeon shoots up from her seat, removing her hand from Nayeon’s as she bows at Nayeon’s father, who has just entered the room.

 

“Oh Jeongyeon, you are here too?”

 

“Yes, Uncle Im.”

 

He nods and takes a look at his sleeping wife, making sure she’s fine before starting to unpack. He’s pulling out his own clothes, and Nayeon frowns. “Dad, why did you bring your own clothes?”

 

“I’m staying over tonight to accompany your mom.” He says.

 

“What about me?” Nayeon whines, because even though she’s a full-grown adult, she’s still afraid of the dark and can’t stay alone at home.

 

Right. He’s so worried about his wife that he had forgotten that her daughter can’t sleep alone at home. He’s racking his brain for a solution when his eyes land on Jeongyeon. He nods, pointing at Jeongyeon, before pointing at Nayeon again.

 

And that’s how the two are awkwardly walking in the corridor of the hospital, heading towards the Yoo’s family house to stay for the night. Jeongyeon is making her so confused, and it’s definitely not going to help that they have to be in the same room for tonight. They are at the exit of the hospital when Nayeon stops, thinking if she should just head back to her own home and hide under her blanket. The dark isn’t even that scary compared to having to room with Jeongyeon for a night. (She doesn’t think she can keep her feelings a secret any longer, and that is what scares her the most.) She needs to put some distance between her and Jeongyeon, that’s the safest method.

 

“Jeongyeon-ah. I think I will just head back to my own house.”

 

“What are you saying? Come on, my bike is there.” Jeongyeon just continues walking. When Nayeon doesn’t catch up, she turns back to see the girl walking in the opposite direction. She runs after her, grabbing her by the wrist to stop and turn the girl around. She’s ready to scold the older girl for being so stubborn, but her words get stuck in when she sees that she’s crying again.

 

“I can’t do this anymore.” Nayeon says tiredly. The long and emotional day had taken a toll on her, making it hard for her to keep her feelings a secret anymore. If Jeongyeon doesn’t let her walk away from her, then she’s going to tell her. “I can’t be your best friend anymore. Not when I love you, and want you more than one. I’m so tired of pretending like I don’t have feelings for you, and I can’t, and I don’t want to do it anymore. So please, let me go.”

 

But Jeongyeon just tightens her grip on Nayeon’s wrist, pulling her closer. The only thing she registers next is soft lips against hers, and she’s shocked frozen. The taller girl is the first one to pull away, catching her breath a little. “No. I’m going to hold onto you, because I want to date you.”

 

“I like you too, and I want to date you, Im Nayeon.”