busted

fight

Jeongyeon greets the three part-timers who entered the café, waving at them excitedly. Only Suhyun was scheduled for today, but she had asked Tzuyu and Yerim to come in too, planning to take Nayeon out. The girl is still visibly angry at her, not wanting to talk to her much other than for business related matters, and Jeongyeon decides she has to do something to placate the older girl.

 

“Why did you call us in?” Yerim grumbles like any normal person when they are asked to take on an extra shift they weren’t scheduled for.

 

“I’m taking Nayeon out.” Jeongyeon tells them truthfully, glad that the girl is currently in the backroom doing stock take.

 

“Good to hear that you are finally gathering some courage to do something about the cold war.” Tzuyu tells her straightforwardly, not even looking up from her phone.

 

Suhyun hits the tallest girl gently, but doesn’t disagree. “It’s indeed been tough coming to work these few days.” The atmosphere at the café has been stifling the past few days, everyone from customers and part-timers alike being able to sense that the two bosses of the café are not on good terms like usual.

 

Jeongyeon sighs, knowing how much inconvenience they have caused to everyone. “I know, so I’m going to make things right tonight. Hopefully.”

 

The three part-timers wish her luck, and head into the backroom to prepare for their shifts. Nayeon comes out a few seconds later, holding her arms at her waist. “Why did you call Tzuyu and Yerim in? We have enough for today.”

 

“Not if we are not in.” Jeongyeon sees the three coming out with their aprons on, ready for work and she nods at them, handing over the shop to them. She turns Nayeon around, pushing her back to the backroom. Once they are inside, Jeongyeon takes off her apron, musters up all her courage and looks the older girl in the eyes. “I’m bringing you out tonight.”

 

--

 

Mina sprays some perfume on herself and checks her appearance once more before getting her purse, ready to go for that date with Chaeyoung. The week is finally over, and the date today with her sunshine is the only thing powering her through the long week. Skipping down the stairs, she bids goodbye to her mother, who’s sitting at the dining table looking through her documents.

 

“Bye Mom, I’m going out for dinner!”

 

“Okay. Oh and Mina, clear your schedules next Friday.” Her mother tells her, not looking up from the documents in front of her.

 

“Why?” Mina asks, racking her brain on the possible occasions why her mother asked her to clear up her schedules. As far as she can remember, it’s not anyone’s birthday in the family. Chaeyoung’s debut UFC match is next Friday too, so she hopes it’s some appointment she can get out off.

 

“Have dinner with the Seo’s family son. He’s a good looking and capable guy, and a few years older than you, a perfect fit for you.” Sachiko Myoui says with a small smile as she looks at Mina.

 

Mina had always listened to her mother, going on those blind dates her mother set her up on, accepting her fate that only some guy from another rich family will be worthy of being her future life partner. But that was before she met Chaeyoung and knew that that’s not true, that she still has the choice to fight and carve out her own path, her own future with Chaeyoung. And that is why she is taking the first step on that path. “I’m sorry Mama, I won’t be able to make it next Friday, I have an important assignment due.”

 

Mina tells her mother, and continues walking to the door. But her mother next’s words have her frozen in her spot.

 

“You are going if you don’t want your little girlfriend to be hurt.”

 

She tries her best to refute it, but she knows it’s futile. “Wh-what are you talking about?”

 

“Nothing escapes me, Mina-chan.” She pulls out a folder and throws it, the contents spilling out on the table. Even from where she is at the door Mina can see it, it’s all photos of her and Chaeyoung; in her school, after the fighter’s training, and even that little vacation they took in Busan. She’s too naïve to believe that she can hide this from her mother.

 

Mina’s plan has always been to hide, not realizing that she was like a bird trying to hide in a bird cage, her every action still being seen no matter how. She’s angry at how her mother can just send a private investigator to tail her, with no regards of her privacy. “You hired a PI to tail me?”

 

“That isn’t important right now. What’s important is you break up with that fighter before the press knows of your relationship. You are Myoui Mina, the heir of Myeongjeong Hospital. You are born to be in the elite sector of the society, keep it that way. That girl can’t help you in your future, she’s no good for you, she will only bring you down.”

 

This is how she’s been brought up, shuffling from ballet, piano, to etiquette classes to be the person they deemed fit to be the inheritor of her father’s hospital. Life was mundane, meaningless until she met Chaeyoung. The girl taught her how to live, how to be happy. “She makes me happy, Mama.”

 

Sachiko scoffs. “Of course she does, why do you think she sticks around you? It’s because you are rich, she only loves your money, do you really think she loves you?”

 

Her mother’s suggestion has her frozen in shock, she has never thought of it that way. She shakes her head, steeling herself. She trusts Chaeyoung. “Chaeyoung isn’t someone like that! You don’t know anything, Mama.”

 

“What I do know is that there will be consequences if you don’t break up with her immediately. You can kiss your inheritance to the hospital goodbye.” Her mother warns her, and for the first time in her life, Mina rebels against her mother.

 

“I have never wanted to inherit the hospital anyway.” Mina mutters. If she has to choose between Chaeyoung or the hospital, she will choose the former in a heartbeat, without any hesitation. The hospital has given her nothing but worries, worries of being not good enough, but Chaeyoung is the opposite. The fighter makes her feel loved, teaches her that it’s okay to be lacking, that she’s still perfect even with her flaws. “I will not give up on her.”

 

“I’m leaving now,” Mina bows at her mother, done with this conversation. She has always given in to her mother, but this is one thing she will never budge. She will never give up on Son Chaeyoung, even if it will cost her everything.

 

Mina leaves, the door slamming after her and Sachiko just picks up her phone, not even fazed by her daughter’s outburst. She had expected it, and if Mina doesn’t want to give up, she will just have to make her, one way or another. There’s a reason why she’s one of the most sought-after lawyer in town, it's because she seldom loses.

 

--

 

Nayeon crosses her arms as she sits down in their favourite snack store. When Jeongyeon said she was bringing her out, she was expecting a western restaurant that serves steak and wine, and not spicy rice cakes at the outdoor tent store they frequent when they were in university.

 

“You seriously brought me here to eat spicy rice cakes?” Nayeon asks, unable to understand why they would need to take a break from the café to eat spicy rice cakes. (The shop across the street from the café sells them too for goodness sake!)

 

“Yeah, it’s your favourite, isn’t it?” Jeongyeon pushes the bowl of spicy rice cakes towards her eagerly. “I ordered fish cakes too, I know how much you love those too. Don’t worry, I’m paying today, so just eat to your heart’s content!” Jeongyeon grins widely.

 

Being poor university students, they had to share one bowl of spicy rice cakes and a stick of fish cake last time. They would fight for the last bite of the fish cake, but Jeongyeon always relented in the end, letting Nayeon have the last mouth. It’s also the reason why Nayeon hasn’t been able to move on from this crush for the other girl, because she always takes care of her so well.

 

She snaps her chopsticks apart, pointing at Jeongyeon. “You are paying?”

 

Jeongyeon nods fervently, her smile growing wider knowing that this means Nayeon is softening and opening up already. “Of course! Eat as much as you want today!”

 

Nayeon smirks, because of course she’s not going to let Jeongyeon off so easily. “Ahjumma, 1 more serving of spicy rice cakes, fish cakes and 2 bottles of soju here please!”

 

--

 

Mina stands outside the gym, watching Chaeyoung hit the sandbag. Her mother’s words ring in her head, causing doubt to plague her. Does Chaeyoung really love her? She has indeed told Mina that many times, and also shown through her actions, but Mina can’t help the doubts growing in her head. She hates how easily swayed she is by her mother’s words, hates how her trust in Chaeyoung can be so easily destroyed by a few words.

 

She’s too busy brooding to realize that the gym door is opened by Dahyun, who’s on her way out. The girl jumps a little when she sees Mina standing outside the gym. “Shi- Mina-unnie! What are you doing here? You can just go in and take a seat.” Dahyun tells her, thinking that Mina is standing outside because she doesn’t want to disrupt her training.

 

“No, it’s okay,” Mina tries to tell Dahyun, she doesn’t want to go in yet, doesn’t want to face Chaeyoung yet, she still needs some time to collect her thoughts.

 

But it’s too late, because the commotion at the door catches the attention of Chaeyoung, the little fighter immediately stopping the motion of the sandbag to grin and wave at her. “Minari! You are early!”

 

“Yeah,” She smiles and enters, thanking Dahyun, who is holding the door for her. The latter just waves it off and leaves, leaving only the two of them in the gym. The smile on Chaeyoung’s face grows as she looks at Mina. She’s tired from the training today, but the thought of being able to go on a date with Mina powered her through the whole day, and seeing Mina right now makes it even better.

 

“I’m sorry, give me a few more minutes, I just have one more rep to finish.” Chaeyoung tells her sheepishly, and Mina nods, tells her to take her time before settling down on a bench, watching her finish up her last rep. Chaeyoung sends fast and accurate punches to the sandbag, and Mina knows she shouldn’t be disrupting her girlfriend’s training, but she really needs her right now. She gets up from the bench, running to embrace the fighter in a back hug, not caring if she’s all sweaty.

 

Chaeyoung laughs, thinking Mina is just being clingy and pats Mina’s arms that are encircled around her waist. “Minari, I’m sweaty and gross.”

 

Mina just tightens her arms around Chaeyoung’s waist without saying anything else, and the latter senses that she’s not being clingy like usual, but something has gotten her girlfriend upset and she’s just seeking comfort from her. She removes Mina’s arms and turns around to look at the girl carefully, sees the frown on her face and knows that she’s right.

 

She slides her hands down from Mina’s arms to hold her hands. “Hey, what’s wrong?”

 

Mina just shakes her head, burying herself into Chaeyoung’s embrace. It’s not like she can tell the fighter that she’s doubting her love, or that her mother wants her to break up with her, so she just sighs and hugs Chaeyoung tighter.

 

The fighter seems to get the hint that Mina doesn’t want to talk, and just pats Mina’s back, hoping that it will make her feel better. She doesn’t know what has gotten her girlfriend so upset, but she knows it must be serious seeing how affected she is. She still has one rep to finish, but all thoughts of it is out of her mind, her main focus is only on Mina, and making her feel better. That is why, the last rep can wait, she thinks as she pulls away slightly to peck kisses all over Mina’s face.

 

“What are you doing?” Mina laughs at the kisses Chaeyoung is giving her.

 

“Cheering my girlfriend up.” Chaeyoung stops to smile at her, resting her forehead against Mina’s to look into her eyes. She knows Mina doesn’t want to talk about it, but that doesn’t mean she cannot try to cheer her up. “I don’t know what has gotten you so upset, but don’t worry so much about it. Things will work out in the end, maybe not now, but eventually.”

 

“I love you so much, do you know that?” Mina tells her.

 

“I know, but do you know that I love you too?” Chaeyoung replies, smiling at her.

 

Her eyes doesn’t even waver when she replies, and Mina is reassured, knows that there is no way Chaeyoung is acting, or pretending to love her when she looks at her like she’s the brightest star in the sky. She delves in to hug Chaeyoung again, earning a chuckle from the other girl.

 

“Come on,” the fighter says as she lifts Mina up, carrying the girl while shuffling to where her belongings are, “let’s go on that date.”

 

--

 

“Ahjumma, one more bottle of soju here!” Nayeon orders again, even though their whole table is filled to the brim with empty soju bottles. Jeongyeon waves at the ahjumma to cancel her order, “No, it’s alright, give us the bill instead.”

 

“I said one more bottle!” Nayeon hits the other girl on the shoulder for stopping her.

 

“Enough, you are drunk already.” Jeongyeon sighs, thinking she should have stopped Nayeon earlier and not let her get this drunk.

 

“Who are you to control me, huh?” Nayeon scoffs, head already lying down on the table. She mutters, more to herself than Jeongyeon. “She thinks just because I like her, I’m going to listen to whatever she says.”

 

But drunk Nayeon obviously doesn’t have very good volume control, because Jeongyeon heard her loud and clear. She’s shocked frozen looking at the collapsed girl as if she has grown another head. “You… like me?”

 

“I have liked you ever since elementary school but thanks for noticing now.” Nayeon grumbles as she buries her head into her arms, trying to find a comfortable position to sleep. “You are always too obsessed with that stupid girl to notice my feelings for you.”

 

Jeongyeon doesn’t know whether to laugh or cry. They have been best friends for more than half of their lives, but it’s only now that Jeongyeon realizes her feelings for Nayeon have never been one-sided. She had been so busy concealing her own feelings for Nayeon to realize that the girl has the exact same feelings for her. They had wasted so much time, and she’s not going to waste anymore from now on. From tomorrow onwards, she’s going to court Nayeon properly.

 

Nayeon is asleep on the table already, and Jeongyeon smiles fondly at the girl even though she’s sleeping with open and drooling all over the table. She runs her hands gently through Nayeon’s hair.

 

You are so gross, but so cute. And I’m so glad I can finally tell you; I love you so much.

 

--

 

Mina snuggles closer to Chaeyoung on the couch as they watch Avengers on the tv. Just eating takeout and watching movies at Chaeyoung’s home may seem underwhelming for a date night, but Mina loves it, because she gets to do so many things she usually can’t. She gets to eat greasy street food that she never gets to eat at home because “it’s bad for her health”, she gets to binge watch her favourite Marvel movies without being told to study because “she shouldn’t waste her time on such mindless entertainment”, and best of all, she gets to cuddle with her sunshine like this.

 

“Are you cold? Should I turn up the heater?” Chaeyoung asks concernedly, thinking that she shifted closer to get more warmth. Mina shakes her head to reassure her. “I’m fine.”

 

Chaeyoung leaves it at that, tightening her arm around Mina’s frame before focusing back on the movie. It’s amazing how Chaeyoung may be smaller than her, but Mina always feels so protected and loved when she is in her arms. Love… The doubts sprout up again, never really leaving her mind, just waiting at the back of her mind to strike her again, like now. Before she can stop herself, she finds herself asking.

 

“Chaeyoungie.”

 

Chaeyoung hums, eyes still glued to the screen.

 

“Why do you love me?”

 

This gets Chaeyoung’s attention, the girl turning to look at the girl in her arms. Mina is avoiding eye contact and twirling her thumbs around each other, something she does only when she is nervous. She has a feeling it’s why Mina has been down the whole night, and she knows she has to answer well to make her girlfriend feel better.

 

“If love can be explained, then there wouldn’t be so many people in the world hurting because of it.”

 

Chaeyoung removes her arm around Mina to cup her face instead. “That is why, I just love you. There’s no reason for it.”

 

It wasn’t a big declaration of love, not one where she compared her love to how big the sky is or how deep the ocean is, but Mina likes this even better. There’s just no rational explanation when it comes to matters of the heart, and that is why there are separate organs; a heart to feel, and a brain to think. That is why, Mina decides to stop using her brain to think, and use her heart to feel, to feel how much Chaeyoung loves her.

 

She clambers onto Chaeyoung’s lap, leaning in to close the gap between the two of them. She kisses her sunshine slowly, wanting to convey all her feelings through it. She wants to let her know that she’s not alone, that she loves her back just as much. She pulls away, panting. “Thank you.”

 

“Welcome.” Chaeyoung tells her breathlessly, still recovering from the kiss.

 

She pushes her sunshine down onto the couch before lying down on her, listening to her beating heart, and knows that it’s beating for her. All those doubts from before is gone, she’s 100% sure that Chaeyoung loves her, but whether their love can withstand the upcoming trials and tribulations, is another thing to worry about. Mina reaches down to entwine her hand with Chaeyoung’s.

 

“Promise you will never leave me no matter what happens?”

 

“Okay,” Chaeyoung kisses her forehead, “You have my word.”

 

--

a/n: let the drama, begin.