i won't give up

fight

Jeongyeon whistles as she cooks the eggs over the stove, her mood being exceptionally good. Her plan to chase Nayeon properly starts today, and what better way to start than to impress the girl with a well-cooked breakfast? (Anyway, it’s her turn to cook breakfast today too, so it works out well.)

 

“Why are you in such a good mood today?” Chaeyoung comments as she enters the kitchen, heading for the fridge to get her strawberry milk.

 

Jeongyeon shrugs her shoulders, not wanting to tell her younger sister yet. Although Chaeyoung isn’t a blabber mouth, there’s a slight possibility that she will go and tease Nayeon about her confession, and that will definitely cause the girl to avoid her. That’s going to make it harder for her to chase the bunny, so her knowledge about Nayeon liking her has to remain a secret until she manages to get the girl.

 

Thankfully, Chaeyoung doesn’t press further. “Should I go and wake Nayeon-unnie up?”

 

“No!” Jeongyeon shouts, causing the younger girl to jump. It’s not like Chaeyoung hasn’t woken up Nayeon before, but the knowledge she found out yesterday changed her. She wants to be the one to wake Nayeon up, to be the first one Nayeon sees before she wakes up. She clears . “I will wake her up, help me plate the food.”

 

Chaeyoung gives her a judgmental look but doesn’t say anything otherwise, just taking the pan from her. She’s about to head into Nayeon’s room when she smells her clothes. It smells like oil because of the cooking she did just now, and she curses a little because she can’t wake Nayeon smelling like bacon! Heading into her shared room with Chaeyoung, she quickly changes into another tee and black jeans. She thinks about it for a few seconds before donning her leather jacket, wanting to get additional ‘cool’ points.

 

But her body also has the smell of oil, and there’s no time for her to shower before waking Nayeon up. She looks around the room, trying to find perfume and she can’t believe both of them don’t have a single bottle of perfume. (How did that little brat even manage to score Mina when she’s always sweaty, unappealing and probably smelly?) She’s about to have a mental breakdown when she spots the bottle of Febreze at the head of her bed. Bingo.

 

--

 

Jeongyeon slips into Nayeon’s room, the girl on the bed sleeping like a starfish and wide open. (It’s super unglamorous, but why does she find it cute?) She sits on the bed, pushing away the few strands of hair on Nayeon’s face. She really doesn’t want to wake the girl up, but she has to because they have to get to work. She shakes Nayeon gently. “Nabongs, it’s time to wake up.”

 

Nayeon just groans as she turns away from Jeongyeon. “5 more minutes.”

 

“No, we are going to be late if you snooze some more.” Jeongyeon tells her gently, and she doesn’t remember when was the last time she spoke so gently to Nayeon. Well, it’s time to be nicer to her, she’s chasing her for goodness sake.

 

Nayeon takes a few more seconds stretching in bed before pushing herself up, massaging her temple. “Ugh, this hangover is going to kill me.”

 

Jeongyeon puts a cup of hangover tea in her hands, knowing this will happen. The past Jeongyeon will make snarky comments about how she shouldn’t have drunk so much yesterday then, but the Jeongyeon now just, “Here, have some hangover tea, it will help.”

 

Nayeon gulps it down obediently, and it’s only when she empties the cup that she’s awake and clear-minded enough to see the girl in front of her. Jeongyeon is in fancy clothes, as if she’s about to go on a date. “Why are you in such nice clothes? Are you going on a date?” She sneers.

 

“I wish.” Jeongyeon says, taking the empty cup from her before pulling her out of bed. “I’m just trying to impress someone, okay?”

 

Nayeon immediately hits Jeongyeon on the arm. It’s only been a few days that Bona has appeared, is this stupid idiot already thinking about impressing and going back to her? “Yah, I swear, if you are trying to look good for that girl, I’m going to kick your into oblivion. She comes back and bats her eyelids at you and you are all wet for her already.”

 

“Aish that hurts!” Jeongyeon steps far enough so that Nayeon cannot reach her, “Why would you think it’s her? It can be someone else!”

 

“Well, because no one else will fall for your ugly !” Nayeon scoffs as she heads to the toilet.

 

Jeongyeon just laughs at how ironic that is, but she resists the urge to just expose Nayeon there and then. Good things are worth the wait. “Just come out for breakfast when you are done!”

 

--

 

Chaeyoung can’t take it anymore, there’s this strong fabric fragrant smell lingering all over the room and she can’t even taste her bacon over the strong scent. “Is it just me, or is there a very strong Febreze smell?” 

 

“What smell? God, I just want everything to stop spinning.” Nayeon grumbles as she clutches her head, trying to keep the food down even though her stomach feels so uncomfortable.

 

“Are you okay? If you still feel unwell you can take a day off. I can just call one of the kids in to take over.” Jeongyeon asks worriedly.

 

Nayeon narrows her eyes. Jeongyeon never, ever asks her to take a day off. She points accusingly at the taller girl. “You just want me off your back so you can go on that date with her, isn’t it? Not so easy, Bulbasaur.”

 

Chaeyoung ignores the bickering that is going on, focusing on finding out the source of the smell. She sniffs and leans in to Jeongyeon, realizing that the scent is very strong on her older sister. Grabbing Jeongyeon’s wrist, she takes a whiff and the strong Febreze smell immediately hits her. She pushes Jeongyeon’s hand away with a scoff. “Yah, why did you spray Febreze all over yourself?”

 

Jeongyeon looks guilty, but denies it. “No I didn’t, it’s just the smell of my skin.”

 

“Yeah, right.” Chaeyoung says in disdain as she scoops another mouth of eggs into . It’s like the eggs are doused in Febreze, the olfactory input overpowering her taste input. She sighs and ignores the taste of it, focusing on the conversation instead. “So, you are getting back with Bona?”

 

“W-what?!” Jeongyeon splutters, turning to look at Nayeon to check her expressions. The girl is staring at her with a death glare and she gulps. “No! Who said so?”

 

Chaeyoung scowls, “Come on, the leather jacket? And the ‘perfume’? It’s so obvious you are trying to impress someone.”

 

Nayeon slams her chopsticks down. “Right?! First she dresses up so fancily, and the next thing she does is to tell me to take a break from work. Like Yoo Jeongyeon asking me to take a break from work? When have you heard that before?”

 

“Never…?” Chaeyoung answers.

 

“Exactly!” Nayeon stands up, dragging the chair harshly against the floor. She points her fingers at her eyes before directing those fingers at Jeongyeon, as if telling her that she’s watching her. “I’m going to watch you carefully, Yoo Jeongyeon.”

 

Oh, if only you knew, Im Nayeon, Jeongyeon thinks as she watches Nayeon stomp back into her room.

 

“So,” Chaeyoung drawls, “Who is it?”

 

“There’s just someone.” Jeongyeon shoves Chaeyoung’s face away from her.

 

“Fine.” Chaeyoung drops it, knowing that her sister will tell her when the time comes. But that doesn’t mean she can’t a little as she leans in, “But feel free to ask me for dating advice, since you know, I’m the one with a amazing girlfriend while you are sololololo.”

 

She teases with BLACKPINK’s Jennie’s song and Jeongyeon kicks out at the younger girl with a huff, but the fighter dodges it easily with a laugh. Chaeyoung picks up her bag, “I’m going, good luck!”

 

--

 

Chaeyoung is on her earpiece across the street from the gym when she spots a familiar black car outside the gym. It’s Mina’s family car, and it’s weird that the girl will be here at this time when she usually has school. Nonetheless, she lets her excitement to see Mina overwrite everything, hopping across the street to the car. Knocking on the window, she grins widely, expecting to see her favourite girl in the world.

 

The window winds down, and it’s not Mina, but an older lady in the car. She must have mistaken this car for Mina’s, and she makes a mental note to finally memorize Mina’s family car plate number the next time round to prevent mistakes like this from happening again. She nearly folds herself in two while bowing, apologizing for her mistake. “I’m so sorry Madam, I thought this was my friend’s car…”

 

“No, I don’t think you are mistaken at all, Chaeyoung-ssi.” The lady tells her with a tight smile that doesn’t reach her eyes. “I am indeed, here looking for you. Do you perhaps, have a second to spare?”

 

The driver opens the car door for her on the other side, as if telling her to get in and Chaeyoung doesn’t know if she can trust this lady, but she doesn’t look like a kidnapper, so she gets in cautiously. The driver slams the door shut after her, and she flinches a little.

 

“I will keep this short, I’m Tanaka Sachiko.” The lady introduces herself, “Mina’s mom.”

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes widen at this revelation and she curses herself for not realizing this earlier. This lady exudes the same poise and grace Mina has, how did she not put two and two together? She knew she probably had to meet Mina’s parents sooner or later, but she didn’t expect her mother to come to her first. It’s all about the first impressions, and she had obviously screwed hers up. (She’s in sweats for goodness sake!) Nevertheless, she tries to salvage the situation, bowing in respect to her. “Hi Madam.”

 

Sachiko smiles again, but anyone can tell she didn’t mean it. “What conditions would it take for you to break up with Mina?”

 

“Wh-what?” The little fighter asks again, just to make sure she heard correctly. This wasn’t how she imagined the first meeting with the in-laws to be. “Madam, I don’t think I get what you are trying to say…”

 

Sachiko pulls out her cheque book, writing an empty cheque before tearing and holding it out to Chaeyoung. “It’s an empty cheque, fill in the amount as you like.”

 

Chaeyoung narrows her eyes, she hates it when people look down on her. She may not be well-to-do, but at least she lives an honest life. “Madam, I think you have gotten the wrong idea, I’m not dating Mina for her money.”

 

“Alright, but let’s not make it harder for all of us, hmm? Mina is set to inherit her father’s hospital, and she needs all the help and resources she can get to help her protect her inheritance from the other ambitious shareholders of the hospital who are eyeing her spot. Mina needs to be the best person she can ever be to fend off those hyenas, which means she cannot have any flaws.” Sachiko turns to look at Chaeyoung, her eyes cold. “And I’m going to be frank with you Chaeyoung-ssi, but you are a very big flaw to my daughter.”

 

“So why don’t you just stop whatever you have with Mina right now before it gets revealed and hurt her? I will compensate you for your efforts. You gain something out of this, Mina gets to inherit the hospital, and we all get out of this deal happy. Deal?” Sachiko takes Chaeyoung’s hand, placing the cheque into her hand.

 

It’s funny how people who are close to us may be the ones who don’t know what we truly want, and Chaeyoung thinks this is the case for Mina and her mother. Mina just wants to be free from all these expectations, just wants to be freed from the shackles of having to be ‘Little Miss Perfect’ just so she can inherit the hospital. This must have been what Mina was worrying about that night, and why she made her make that promise. She promised Mina, so she will do her darn best to keep it. 

 

“I’m always on Mina’s side, and I don’t think this is what Mina really wants. That is why, I’m going to stay by her side until the day she really wants to break up with me.” Chaeyoung tears up the cheque before bowing at the older lady. She’s about to leave the car, when the older lady speaks up.

 

“I heard your UFC debut match is coming right up, I think it’s going to be such a shame if you lose then.” Sachiko was trying to play nice, dangling a carrot and hoping it will work. But of course, there’s resistance, so she has no choice but to be nasty then.

 

Chaeyoung freezes in her spot. “Are you… threatening me right now?”

 

“I’m just saying. I heard you haven’t been beaten before. It’s going to be a shame for that record to be broken with your debut match in UFC.” Sachiko says, a taunting expression on her face.

 

The little fighter chuckles. “Do whatever you want, I’m not changing my mind.” She leaves the car, slamming the car door in her wake.

 

Sachiko shakes her head, picking up her phone. Why are kids nowadays so stubborn, making her do more work? Why can’t they just listen to her obediently? Why do they always have to make her be the bad person?

 

“Carry on with the plan.”

 

--

 

Nayeon is on her lunch break, and she’s enjoying her soup while laughing at the variety show that is airing on tv. She barely registers the restaurant’s door opening, too focused on the tv and the food to realize anything else. But the newcomer walks past her, blocking her view of the tv before sitting down in front of her. The bunny immediately loses her appetite, slamming her utensils down as she looks at the girl in front of her who looks very out of place in this cheap kimbap shop with her expensive Gucci clothes and sunglasses.

 

“To what do I owe this pleasure of seeing you here, Kim Bona?” Nayeon leans back in her seat and crosses her arm, knowing that the girl obviously didn’t come here for a meal.

 

“I’m here to look for you, of course. Do you think I’m here to eat things like that?” She says in disgust as she points at the bowl of soup in front of Nayeon. A $5 set meal is not even food, but considered as garbage for a rich girl like Bona.

 

“Say what you want to say and get lost.” Nayeon doesn’t want to deal with her bull for another second.

 

“I’m going to win Jeongyeon back anyway, so stop coming in between us. You are just her best friend, always have and always will be.” Bona sneers at her.

 

Nayeon scoffs, ignoring the burn from her words. “Yeah, so why are you so bothered by her best friend?”

 

“Because you want to be more than her best friend.” Bona smirks. “You think I don’t know? But too bad, she’s just too in love with me to have eyes for anyone else.

 

Nayeon looks away, unable to refute her words.

 

Bona’s smug smile grows. “Give it up, Im Nayeon. If it didn’t happen all this time between the two of you, it won’t happen now.”

 

Nayeon really doesn’t want to cry in front of this annoying woman, but she just can’t help it as her eyes well up in tears. She can’t believe she lost to her, seriously what does Jeongyeon even see in her? She can’t help but feel bitter, not because she will never be with Jeongyeon, but because she’s losing her to such an arrogant piece of . God, she just wants to punch her and remove that smug look on her face.

 

“Nabongs!” The doorbell dings, and she hurriedly wipes her eyes. Jeongyeon stands at the door, looking alternately between the two of them.

 

“Jeongyeon-ah!” Bona calls, voice purposely pitched higher in tone as she stands, beaming at said girl.

 

But Jeongyeon doesn’t even spare her a glance, heading to Nayeon instead. The latter has her head down and hair covering her face, and that has always been her habit when she cries. She bends down, lifting up Nayeon’s hair just to confirm, but the girl swats her hand away. (That confirms it anyway.) “Why are you crying?” She asks, even if she has an inkling why Nayeon is crying.

 

“Who said I was! Some dust just got into my eye!” Nayeon tries to cover up as she turns away from Jeongyeon, not wanting to let the girl see her crying. It’s not like Jeongyeon hasn’t seen it before, but it doesn’t make it any less embarrassing, even more so that she is crying over her this time.

 

“Wait here for me.” Jeongyeon tells her gently, before straightening up to look stoically at Bona. “Let’s talk outside.”

 

--

 

“I always love it when you wear leather jackets, it makes you look so much cooler.” Bona coos the minute they step out of the shop, her hand resting on Jeongyeon’s arm. But the latter just pulls away, not comfortable with the touch.

 

“What did you say to Nayeon? Why is she crying?” Jeongyeon just asks straightaway.

 

“I don’t know… I was just talking to her and she started crying.” Bona says, pouting as she steps closer to hug her ex. “I missed you so much.”

 

Jeongyeon pulls her off; Bona’s hug used to make her feel warm, but it only makes her feel suffocated now. Does this girl still think she will believe in her lies, after all these years? “We are over, Bona. I’m not going to believe in your lies and take you back anymore, so don’t come here and bother me anymore. Also, I don't know what you told her, but leave Nayeon alone. I won't be as nice the next time if you make her cry again."

 

She walks away, but Bona’s next words stop her in her track. “Are you really dating her?”

 

Frankly, the rich girl knew from the start that the two had more than friendly feelings for each other, and that is why she had never seen Nayeon as her girlfriend’s best friend, but her love rival. It is also partially the reason why she didn’t and doesn’t want to let go of Jeongyeon, wanting to hold onto the girl just to spite Nayeon. (But she knew deep down, that Nayeon had always held the upper hand in this fight. She had Jeongyeon physically, but never her heart. Jeongyeon’s heart had always belonged to Nayeon, then and now, she just didn’t want to admit it.)

 

“It’s none of your business, isn’t it?” Jeongyeon tells her honestly before stalking back into the shop.

 

Bona watches Jeongyeon disappear into the shop and she just puts on her sunglasses again. This isn't the end. Just you wait, Yoo Jeongyeon, I’m not giving up just yet.

 

--

 

Chaeyoung stares at the picture she has of Mina and her in the locker, trying to process everything that happened just now. It’s the photo she took with Mina during their trip to Busan, and she smiles as she thinks back to that time. Mina made her so happy, happier than when she gets to fight in the octagon, happier than when she manages to win a match. That’s right, she thinks as she runs her finger across the photo, this is the right choice. Even if she has to lose every match of hers from now on because of Mina’s mom, she will gladly do so. She will never give up on Mina, unless the girl wants her to.

 

I won’t give up on you.

 

Chaeyoung closes the locker and heads out, ready to start training. She needs to be more prepared for whatever sabotages Mina’s mom may come up with. She can try to bring her down, but one thing’s for sure, she’s not going down without a fight. She’s punching the sandbag when Jihyo comes out from her room, fuming as she stomps over.

 

“I’m withdrawing you from the match.” Jihyo tells her, rubbing her temples.

 

“Why?!” Chaeyoung almost shouts. She has to fight this match even if it means she will lose, withdrawing is like succumbing to Sachiko’s tricks, and the fighter wouldn’t give her that satisfaction.

 

“They rearranged the matches, and you got drawn to fight the reigning champion in Korea. You are just a rookie! How can they match you up against the champion?!” Jihyo rants while making exaggerated hand gestures to show her anger.

 

Chaeyoung chuckles. So this is how it is going to be. “It’s okay, I will fight, even if there’s a high possibility that I will lose. I would rather fight and lose, than withdraw like a coward.”

 

“No, you are not going to fight. I’m not going to let you.” Jihyo says with finality, stuffing her hands into her pocket. Chaeyoung frowns, she has never seen Jihyo so adamant.

 

“What’s the worst that can happen? Breaking my winning streak? It’s okay, it’s about time I lost a match anyway, no one is able to win all the time anyway.” Chaeyoung tries to convince the older girl. “Just let me fight, Unnie, please.”

 

“Or maybe you can die from it!” Jihyo shouts at her, and Chaeyoung stares at her in shock. The older girl has always been composed even in anger, and it’s the first time the little fighter has seen her coach flare up like that. Jihyo runs her fingers through her hair exasperatedly. “The reigning champion, the new opponent you are up against, is Eunjin.”

 

Chaeyoung goes quiet, because that name is very familiar to her. She’s the reason why a brilliant fighter like Jihyo has to retire at such a young age and be stuck with coaching rather than fighting in the octagon herself. MMA is a sport, and like every sport, there will always be that one athlete who doesn’t have any sportsmanship. Eunjin is that one athlete.

 

(Jihyo pants, the wheels in her head whirring as she tries to think of a way to subdue her opponent, Eunjin. They are equally matched, so it all comes down to timing now. She’s planning out her next move when Eunjin launches downwards, aiming for her legs. In a split second, she feels herself being thrown to the ground, and her leg is held in a knee bar. She squirms, trying to get out of it, but it’s of no use, she’s held very tightly and it hurts. She taps out, tapping on Eunjin’s arm to tell her that she’s giving up. But Eunjin doesn’t budge, and the next thing she knows, she hears a crack, and her legs are on fire.

 

She screams, and the referee finally pulls Eunjin away, but it’s too late. Jihyo’s leg is already tilted in the wrong direction, and she’s crying from the pain. The last thing she sees before she blacks out is Eunjin smirking down at her.)

 

“I… I cannot let you fight her, Chaeyoung-ah. She doesn’t trap people in holds to force them to submit and lose the match, she traps people in holds to break them.” Jihyo recounts, tears welling up in her eyes again when she thinks about how she has to retire prematurely because of that match. That match with Eunjin destroyed her whole competitive career, and she can’t let that happen to Chaeyoung too.

 

Chaeyoung clenches her fist. So she's the who broke Jihyo's leg and ended her career. This just gives her more reasons to fight. She has to prove Mina’s mother wrong, and get revenge for Jihyo at the same time. No, she’s not just going to fight, she’s going to win. “All the more I should fight then.”

 

Before Jihyo can protest, Chaeyoung stops her. “Trust me, Coach.”

 

Chaeyoung only ever calls her coach when she’s serious, and Jihyo sighs as she closes her eyes, rubbing them. She opens them, eyes determined as if she has made a decision. Jihyo points her finger at Chaeyoung in warning, showing that she’s serious too. “I will let you fight, but you must tap out the very second she has you in a hold. Understand?”

 

“Yes Coach.”

 

--

 

Jeongyeon enters the shop to see Nayeon dabbing at her eyes, wiping her tears. She frowns and just stands there, wanting to give the girl some space before approaching her. It’s not like she hasn’t seen Nayeon cry before, but she figured the girl would probably feel embarrassed since this time she’s crying because of Bona. She sees Nayeon stirring her soup in a daze, and knows that it is okay to go to her now. She slides into the seat opposite Nayeon, sees the girl still sulking as she sniffs, her nose blocked because of all the crying just now.

 

“I don’t know why there’s so much dust in here, it’s making my eyes tear up. Gosh, they should have an air purifier or something…” Nayeon makes up an excuse, even though Jeongyeon hasn’t said anything yet. The taller girl smiles to herself, knowing that Nayeon must be okay now that she’s making snide remarks.

 

“Glad you are okay then.” Jeongyeon tells her before waving the waiter over to order her food. She continues after, “I told her to leave and stop bothering us.”

 

Nayeon raises her eyebrow, knowing how weak Jeongyeon is for that girl. “I’m surprised you didn’t get back together with her already.”  

 

Jeongyeon clicks her tongue. “I’m an idiot, but I’m not that big of an idiot, okay. Give me some credit.”

 

That makes Nayeon smile a little. “You are an idiot with bad taste. God, why did you even date her?” Nayeon complains as she swings her spoon around, dripping soup everywhere.

 

“Yeah, I know right.” Jeongyeon grimaces as she picks up a tissue and starts cleaning up after her, her words referring more to her than Bona.

 

Her food arrives, and she pushes the plate of dumplings towards the centre of the table. Nayeon loves the dumplings from this store, but she’s always unable to order them because she can’t finish one plate by herself. She should thank the part timers for coming to work earlier, not only because she can grab lunch with Nayeon like this, but also because she managed to intervene in Bona’s confrontation. She doesn’t know what’s the deal with Bona and Nayeon, the two had never seen eye to eye even during the time she was dating Bona. She used to side with Bona, angering Nayeon, but not anymore. Now, she’s going to make sure to protect Nayeon from Bona, and she swears by it.

 

“Eat the dumplings, I know you like them.”

 

Nayeon sighs as if she doesn’t want to eat them, but her chopsticks are moving towards the plate. “I’m on a diet though.”

 

“Why are you on a diet, you don’t even have anyone to impress.” Jeongyeon acts nonchalant as she scoops a spoon of rice into , hoping to agitate the older girl so that she will spill the beans. (Say me, say me.)

 

“I-I can go on a diet for my health! Who says it must be to impress someone!” Nayeon splutters and Jeongyeon smiles. You are so obvious, Im Nayeon. How did she not realize it all this time?

 

“Please you are thin like a stick, you should eat more instead.”

 

Nayeon gasps, looking at Jeongyeon as if she’s seen an alien. Jeongyeon never praises her. “Who are you and what have you done to Yoo Jeongyeon?! Return the real Yoo Jeongyeon back to me!”

 

Jeongyeon laughs, poking Nayeon’s forehead to tell her to knock it off. “Get used to it, because I’m going to praise you every day from now on.”

 

Nayeon chokes on her dumpling. “W-what are you talking about?” She asks nervously as she gulps down some water.

 

Jeongyeon hides her smile with her hand. “Just eat your dumplings.”