Jealous

The Line

Youngjae had been feeling low due to the last incident a few weeks ago. It was the end of October now and he was still caught up in that silly question.

 

“What else would this be about?”

 

It was Halloween night and Jinyoung invited him out to Jackson’s party or as Jackson liked to call it “Too Fast Too Halloweenous Extravaganza”. Youngjae simply declined the offer.

 

“Jaebum will be there too!” Jinyoung insisted.

 

Like that makes it any better. Any other time he’d gladly follow but this time he simply wanted to stay away from Jaebum for some time.

 

“I just don’t feel like going out. I’d rather much stay home and give out some treats.”

 

Jinyoung sighed in defeat.

 

“I guess it’s better this way, because no guys will be all over you like the last party. Jaebum told me about Chanyeol grinding all over you. And I’ve heard bad rumours about him getting cute innocent boys to sleep with him, like he did with Baekhyun.”

 

“First of all that was Chanyeol? The Chanyeol? And second of all, tell Jaebum that he should mind his own business.”

 

“Don’t be like that. You know Jaebum cares about you, almost as much as I do.”

 

Youngjae only hummed in response before walking away.

 

xx

 

Most of the night was filled with random children dressed up as princesses and superheroes. They were adorable nonetheless.

 

Occasionally, he’d get the shy child hiding behind their guardian or older sibling. He giggled because it reminded him about the good o’ days when Jinyoung and him went out trick or treating. How he missed his childhood. Everything was much easier then.

 

It was pretty late now and he was ready to call it a night but he could see a silhouette walking up his door steps. He was not alone though, a little girl followed. She was dressed as princess Leia. Youngjae could not help but grin at the adorable young girl but now that he was looking clearly at the guy he seemed familiar but he couldn’t wrap his finger around it.

 

Then it hit him.

 

“Dowoon?” Youngjae looked up at the male and smiled.

 

“Youngjae! So, you live here? Wait a minute how come you are not out partying with the rest of your gang? I was invited but I promised my sister to take her trick-or-treating.”

 

“I didn’t feel like making a fool out of myself tonight.” He said as a soft chuckle followed.

 

Youngjae heard a soft little voice saying “trick-or-treat” that reminded him to give the small child a handful of candy.

 

“Thank you, oppa! By the way my name is Mina.” The young girl cheerfully responded.

 

“Nice to meet you, Mina.” Youngjae replied with the same happy smile tugging on his lips.

 

“Anyway, we should be heading home now.. But Youngjae if you ever want to stop by the band’s practice, let me know. The guys and I would love to trial run a couple songs on someone.” Dowoon ran his fingers through his short locks as he flashed a toothy smile at Youngjae.

 

“That sounds great. I’ll remind you in class Monday. Have a goodnight and you too, Mina!”

 

Before he walked inside he heard a familiar voice ask “What are you so smiley about?” It was Jinyoung.

 

Youngjae turned around to find Jaebum, Mark and Jinyoung staring at him with curious eyes.

 

“Can’t I just be happy for no reason? Besides, why are you all home so early?"

 

“What, is it that difficult to believe that I felt bad leaving my little brother behind and alone on Halloween?”

 

“The cops shut you guys down, didn’t they?” Youngjae looked up at the three of them unamused.

 

They did not respond and proceeded to walk inside the house.

 

“How about we all watch a scary movie?” Jinyoung suggested once all four of them were inside the house.

 

No one really replied so Jinyoung being Jinyoung ordered Jaebum and Youngjae to grab the snacks from the kitchen while Mark and him found a movie.

 

Youngjae went over to grab the large bag of popcorn from the cabin and put some on a large bowl. Jaebum took the large gallon of orange juice  from the fridge and grabbed four cups.

 

Maybe it was all in Youngjae’s head but he could feel Jaebum drilling holes into his back. He must've been right because then Jaebum spoke up.

 

“What’s up with you and Dowoon?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“You and Dowoon? We saw him leaving earlier and that’s when we found you with the biggest grin on your face. Are you two dating or something?”

 

Youngjae was going to respond with the truth that Dowoon brought his sister out to ask for candy but something begin to boil inside of him. What was it to Jaebum and why did he care all of a sudden..

 

“And what if we are? Are you jealous or something?”

 

Something flickered in Jaebum’s eyes but Youngjae was unsure of what it was.

 

“Not at all.. Just that Jinyoung wouldn’t be happy to hear about this.”

 

“Well, leave it up to Jinyoung to talk to me about it if it bothers him so much. After all, he’s my older brother, not you.” Youngjae’s last words left his lips with all the anger he had bottled up in his heart.

 

He stormed out of the kitchen and into his room. He locked his door and climbed into his bed, hiding under his covers


In the distant he could hear Jinyoung asking Jaebum about him. He lied and said that Youngjae was feeling tired from his long day of giving out candy. Jinyoung must’ve believed him because he did not try to barge into Youngjae’s room unannounced.

 

Youngjae was upset and angry at himself but mostly at Jaebum.  What gave him the right to question him? If he was truly worried why didn't he just go and tell Jinyoung about his concerns instead of continuing to interrogate Youngjae.

 

Youngjae did not cry that night, not because Jaebum’s words did not affect him but because he would not let himself. He was going to have to try harder and get over Jaebum.