Hopeful

The Line

It had been about a month now. October had begun and Youngjae had made no progress with his love conquest.

 

He was still as lonely and single as before.

 

It was not like he wasn’t trying, more like no opportunities have came up. He was too busy trying to settle down.

 

He hadn’t even made a single friend. Unless you’d consider the quiet guy who sat beside him in English class, the one that occasionally asked him to borrow his notes a friend.

 

Doowoon was not a bad guy though, he’d practically spent most of his time in class napping.

 

Youngjae’s thoughts were interrupted due to a piece of paper being pushed towards him.

 

Hey, my band is playing this Friday night at my friend’s house party. Maybe you’d like to come by? It starts at 9PM. Here’s the address and my phone number, in case you get lost.

XXXXX

 

Youngjae was not really a party kind of guy but he was really considering the invitation, because maybe in between all the sweaty bodies that would be there he’d meet his prince charming.

 

Of course he was not going to show up alone so he’d absolutely had to invite Jinyoung.

xx

 

“You’re actually going?”

 

“Yes! And you should come with. I just don’t want to seem like a loner.. Please, please, please.”

 

“You know you don’t have to beg. My friend Wonpil invited me too. I am just surprised you’re actually considering this. You’re not the type to go and socialize like this, Youngjae.”

 

“I know but it’s college.. I should really get out of my comfort zone.”

Jinyoung’s eyebrows creased at the reply Youngjae gave him and for a second Youngjae was expecting some type of interrogation but it never came. Jinyoung just agreed and said he’d let Mark know. Youngjae would say he was surprised but that’d be a lie. Wherever Jinyoung went Mark would follow.

 

xx

 

Friday came by sooner than Youngjae expected. It was still early but he was not going to risk it. He wanted to make heads turn so fast they snapped their necks, but not literally.

 

He found the nicest black pair of ripped jeans he could find, his black v-neck that showed off his nicely sculpted collarbones and his favorite white and black jacket. His hair perfectly styled, Youngjae would be lying if he said he didn’t look good.

 

He stepped into the living room where Jinyoung was waiting for him.

 

“Damn son.. You clean up nice. But should I really let you walk out of this house looking like that? I can’t have anyone drooling and chasing after my cute baby brother.”

 

“Jinyoung please not tonight.. I promise no one will be staring at me when you and Mark will be by my side practically eating each other’s face.” He stuck his tongue out in a playful manner before walking out the door.

 

“Hey! We do not do such thing. Do we?..” Jinyoung’s last question was barely audible.

 

xx

 

The music was practically bursting through his ears but the party was so much nicer than the parties they show you in movies. Jinyoung was clinging onto him as they walked through the crowd of people, a few of them greeting Jinyoung and simply smiling at Youngjae.

 

“Where’s Mark-hyung?”

 

“I’m not.. Oh there he is!” Jinyoung waved frantically at the said person.

 

Youngjae waved as well but then his eyes caught the sight of someone. Someone he hadn’t seen in a few months now.. Jaebum.

 

Why did he have to look so good?

He was simply wearing a white tshirt and a pair of blue jeans that hugged his thighs perfectly.

Youngjae's breath caught in his throat but he couldn’t manage to tear his eyes away from him. Shortly after he noticed a shorter blond male clinging onto Jaebum. He would be lying if he said that it didn’t bother him the slightest.

He remembers meeting him before, his name was Wang Jackson. He was a really funny and nice guy but Youngjae was not dumb, he knew Jackson had other intentions. Jackson looked at Jaebum the same way he looked at Jaebum.

 

“Hey, little bro! Looking freaking tasty.” Jackson wrapped his arms tightly around Youngjae.
Youngjae was barely about to return the hug when two pair of hands pulled him away and two other pair of hands pulled Jackson away.

 

“Don’t touch my little brother. Ever again.”

 

Jaebum just stared back, his hand still clutching onto Jackson’s shirt. Of course why would Jaebum want the object of his affection all over another guy.

 

“I’m sorry, Jinyoung. I was only saying hi to your baby brother here.”

 

“Yeah well say hi but don’t get all up in his personal bubble.” Jinyoung glared at Jackson as Mark tried to calm him down, by back hugging him and kissing all over his cheeks.

 

Jaebum spoke up this time and it was not something that he or that anyone expected him to say.

 

“He’s going to have to date eventually and you are going to have to understand and learn that you can’t keep him to yourself forever, Park Jinyoung. He may be your little brother but you won’t be able to protect him all the time, besides he also deserves happiness and love like you or anyone else does.” Jaebum almost sounded angry but was it for Youngjae or was there another reason behind it.

 

Everyone stayed quiet for a minute and Youngjae could feel his heart tightening again.

 

Why did he have to make it so hard for Youngjae stop liking him?

 

Before Jinyoung or anyone could respond, a group of guys loudly interrupted them. It was Dowoon and his band, they brought a bunch of beers and handed them out.

 

Jinyoung almost butted in to explain that Youngjae didn’t drink but this time something stopped him and he let the younger boy chug the can of beer. A little after he’d do the same.

 

xx

 

A couple beers later, Youngjae could feel himself getting slightly dizzy. Dowoon's band Day6 had finished their act a few minutes prior and now some random overly played song was bumping through the speakers.

 

Maybe it was the alcohol but Youngjae was feeling a little more confident, he ran to the center of the dance floor and started grinding at the air, only a few seconds after a pair of hands were being placed on his thighs.

 

If this were sober Youngjae he’d probably push the guy away and ran for his life, but this was tipsy Youngjae the more outgoing version of him.

 

Youngjae chuckled and turned slightly to look at the guy. He was no Jaebum but he was handsome nonetheless. The rhythm allowing him to grind just a little harder on the guy.


But for the second time that night he felt a pair of strong arms pulling him away from the stranger.

 

Youngjae’s lips formed into a deep frown as he turned to look at the culprit.

 

“Why? I was just trying to have some fun..”

 

“Jinyoung won’t be happy to see that and we wouldn’t want him to make a scene.”

 

“Jaebum, is this really about Jinyoung or is there another reason?” Youngjae was now holding onto Jaebum by his shoulders and pressing him against the wall. He had leaned in and his lips were barely ghosting on Jaebum’s, his eyes staring right into the older’s.

 

“What else would this be about?”

 

Why was Youngjae so dumb? Why would anyone be surprised and hurt by an answer they had been expecting?

 

Probably because he was still hopeful that for some miraculous reason Jaebum would like him back.