Salute

Hero's Welcome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The siren sounded and with that Wendy was awake. It had been almost a week since she’s been back in the camps due to her suspension; she was met with suspicious eyes from some of the younger soldiers whilst Sergeant Kim and his peers gave her looks of pure fear knowing not to cross the Lieutenant's bad side again.

 

Back in the breakfast hall Wendy was munching on her meal whilst reading the daily newspaper. She was shocked to see the headlines detailing about the President’s crass decision to deploy more South Korean troops in a war that obviously had no winner. She tutted as her coffee turned bitter. Stupid politicians putting forth innocent lives just to keep their heads in America’s .

 

Her morning seemed a bit more brighter when Seulgi joined her and offered her to welcome their newest batch of medical staff who would be arriving in an hour.

 

“That reminds me, how are things with Joohyun?”

 

“Good, I let her know that I’m not on my phone much when I’m at the corps, but it should be easier to communicate knowing she’ll be a walk away”

 

“Don’t let that be an incentive to get hurt Wan” her best friend warned her which the brunet replied with a sarcastic eye roll.

 

“Speaking of getting hurt, how is Joy? Don’t think I didn’t notice those bruises on your neck, you’re lucky I didn’t give you a citation.”

 

“argh like you would, she’s um…well how do I explain her. When she’s being her ‘Joy’ self she is cheeky, always teasing and just incredible but when I get to see the ‘Sooyoung’ side of her when she’s more vulnerable, soft and always wanting cuddles. She’s just perfect for me.”

 

“Seul, I’m so happy for you. Even the few weeks you’ve been seeing each other I can tell she’s had a real effect on you”

 

“I guess we both got lucky, you and Joohyun are a good match I can tell. Even your parents like her which I can’t say is an easy thing to do considering your ex and them being slightly on the fence”

 

“Hey that’s not fair! They were harsh to Sejeong because they caught us fondling in the basement. I guarantee if it was any other situation they would have liked her”

 

Seulgi cringed at the use of the word ‘fondling’ the two pair of friends then continued their reminiscing and giggles until it was time to head to the front.

 

The pair failed to notice the many heart eyes that were being sent their way from their subordinates as the powerful duo strutted cool-ly out of the food hall.

 

Reaching the drop off area they watched a large bus park and lots of medical staff loading off with their bags. The director and Lieutenant would be lying if they weren’t looking out for two specific individuals, but they tried to play it off nonchalantly when they spotted the two and the gleam in their eyes were evident.

 

Remembering their jobs Wendy cleared and welcomed the new cohort once they were in a single file.

 

“Good morning everyone, I’m Lieutenant Son and to my left is Director Kang. We are the heads of this unit and will be overseeing your assimilation into the camps. I believe you’ve all been briefed on your specific roles from you orientation a while back so I trust you will ask me no questions. Now Director Kang and I will announce a roll call”

 

All the medical cadets then put their hands behind their backs and heads lifted high.

 

“KIM JINYOUNG”

 

“HERE LIEUTENANT”

 

“NAM SOOKHEE”

 

“PRESENT DIRECTOR”

 

“PARK SOOYOUNG”

 

“YES DA-DIRECTOR” Joy reddened at the slip of the tongue as Seulgi had a eating grin on.

 

“BAE JOOHYUN”

 

“HERE LIEUTENANT SON”

 

“Oh I’m sorry Sergeant Bae but I don’t think I heard you loud enough” Wendy tried to hold her smile teasing her girlfriend who she towered over.

 

“what happened to not being an ?” Irene muttered under her voice which caught Wendy’s attention.

 

“Did you say something sergeant Bae?”

 

“NO LIEUTENANT, I’M SORRY LIEUTENANT” Irene said in her loudest voice and looked straight ahead she became slightly annoyed because she knew Wendy was pushing her buttons on purpose and she was doing a damn good job.

 

Making her way to the front Wendy nudged her Director “Looks like we have a bunch of sarcastic jokers on our hands here Director Kang, what to do?”

 

The cohort then bowed in apology to the officials whilst the two immature idiots snorted in laughter.

 

“Greetings are over everyone, Director Kang will now show you to your dorms. I trust you’ll behave whilst in the camps or you’ll be reporting to me. IS THAT CLEAR?”

 

“YES LIEUTENANT!” they whole cohort replied in equal enthusiasm but Wendy being the little she was poked further.

 

“I SAID IS THAT CLEAR LIEUTENANT BAE?”

 

“YES LIEUTENANT SON!” Irene was red in face at the shouting she just did, she picked up her bags and followed Joy who kept close to Seulgi. As Irene walked past her arrogant girlfriend she was given a quick wink by the other and that made her want to punch Wendy in the face so damn hard.

---

 

“What the was that Rene?” Joy asked as she placed her bag on her bed which was next to the raven-haired girl.

 

“I have no clue but I swear to God when I see We-lieutenant Son again she’s going to get an earful” the tiny girl huffed out, noticing her mistake she wanted to be careful around others in case they found out. Seulgi just giggled her way to Wendy’s office at the exchange she overheard. And as a good subordinate she decided it was appropriate to report back to her supervisor.

 

“She’s so pissed Wen”

 

“YESSSS” Wendy fist pumped the air, she evilly cackled.

 

“What about Joy?”

 

“She knew I was winding her up but then threatened me so I decided I’m going to be nice because I do not want to jeopardies my life”

 

“Oh Seulgi, my dear Kang Seulgi that’s the whole point of this. Drive them to a point of annoyance where they confront you then have the best hate of your life”

 

“teach me your ways senpai” Seulgi joked and mentioned something about checking up on the newbies in the rifle corps and bidded her best friend goodbye.

 

---

 

A couple of hours later Wendy was making her rounds walking down a hall way when she spotted a lone Bae Joohyun, hiding in the storage closet Wendy watched her girlfriend and snatched her. Placing an arm on her waist to pull her in and a hand on her mouth to muffle her screams. The raven haired girl eyes went wide when she saw who grabbed her and shoved her in this tiny closet. Joohyun remembering she was pissed at her stupid girlfriend bit the brunette's palm and landed a fist on her chest.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter