A Hero's Welcome

Hero's Welcome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As soon as Seungwan’s boot cladded feet touched the pavement of her home an overwhelming scene of familiarity overtook her. She remembered being in this exact same spot two years ago, waving goodbye to her friends, family, her daughter and the love of her life.

 

No one knew she was back, how could they? No one knew her mission to extract the US student would take this long and the fact that she had to secretly enter North Korea aka the black hole of the world she knew communication with her loved ones was impossible. She can already imagine her wife’s face, she’s making a bet with her future self that Joohyun will punch her chest and say You didn’t call for 2 years you really think you can waltz in here and think everything is back to normal?

 

Yes, Minho did try to update her family to the best of his ability but the information given was very very limited. I should send him a gift basket for dealing with Joohyun Seungwan thought before walking up the driveway to her house after paying the taxi who ‘thanked her for her service’. If Seungwan was going for subtle she was doing a damn good job of it.

 

She smiled to herself when she saw her parent’s car, Ryujin’s mini cooper as well as Mr Bae’s land rover and in good old Kang Seulgi fashion her yellow sedan parked at the test angle; Seungwan wondered how the girl passed her test or how she was allowed to lead a whole army base let alone be able to park a tiny car.

 

Hearing the shouts and laughs through the garden entrance Seungwan was buzzing and couldn’t wait to see her daughter. The last time she saw her was through a photo Minho sent to her that Joohyun sent in a letter. Seungwan cried for 3 hours at how much her little girl had grown, she just looks like a mini Joohyun and that’s what hurt even more. Seungwan was hurt she missed the first steps, first words but now she vows to never leave her daughter’s side every again.

 

Seungwan picked the spare key from her pocket attempting to be quiet so no one could hear her and just as she was ready to shout her surprise entrance she was met with an empty living room. The brunette pouted as her big entrance was ruined. She was surprised to see the house had not changed one bit other than a few new plants and more photo frames of Ellie, Seungwan chuckled at the photo of Ellie giving a smile with no teeth she was such a dork just like Joohyun. Seungwan picked up a frame where a photo of her was in uniform, she dusted lint off the frame and gave a low whistle. You did it pal.

 

Seungwan then grabbed an apple from the kitchen and casually strolled to the garden, she lent on the sliding door one leg crossed over the other, a hand in her pocket and took an obnoxiously loud bite of the apple which made all ten heads turn…wait ten?

 

Before she could process anything she saw her little girl run her way shouting an excited ‘mommy’ she picked the girl up squeezing her like she would disappear from her touch. She sniffed the girl’s hair then pressed a kiss to her temple keeping her tears in.

 

“I missed you so much Ellie”

 

“I missed you too mommy, I’m free now!”

 

“You’re three?! Wow my baby girl has grown so much.” The little girl in front of her was beautiful, photos did not do her justice, she truly was a carbon copy of her mother.

 

Seungwan was then tackled by her best friend and tried her best not to drop Ellie whilst being sent to the ground.

 

“YOU DIDN’T TELL US YOU WERE BACK”

 

“Surprise~” Seungwan’s best friend just punched her chest glad that she was back, Sooyoung then joined the pair showing off her new ring.

 

“YOU’RE MARRIED?!”

 

“Correction: fianceés, we wouldn’t have the wedding without you being my best woman” Seulgi punched her friend again for good measure.

 

“UNNIE!!!” Both Yeri and Ryujin hugged Seungwan cutting off all her airways, she was glad she put Ellie down before or the girl would have been victim to these hugs too. Seungwan almost cried when she was greeted by Mr Bae and strangely enough Mrs Bae, the woman as soon as she saw her apologised to Seungwan for her behaviour throughout the years and that she was proud that her daughter had married such a great person and that Ellie was her favourite grandchild (and only grandchild but Seungwan didn’t correct her), Mr Bae met her with enthusiasm stating how good it was to see her in one piece.

 

By this point Seungwan was tired of saying hi, all she wanted to do was kiss the frozen girl two meters away who had confused glossy eyes. Seungwan’s mother slapped her especially hard stating she was never allowed to leave again. Her father just patted her back reminding her how proud he was; Seungwan knew how much it meant, he was a man of very few actions but these were immense to her.

 

Finally, she could walk over to the girl who was still so so so confused and trying to make sense of the situation. She lifted the raven haired girl’s chin and whispered a ‘Happy Birthday Hyun’ before smashing her lips onto hers. It had been too long since she felt those lips, too long since those hands found their way to her neck, too long since she heard that sigh of delight. Pulling back Seungwan had a eating grin on her face.

 

“Kept my promise didn’t I?”

 

“You’re such an idiot Son Seungwan”

 

“Your idiot Son Joohyun” to shut her up she just planted her lips onto the others, where they belonged.

 

---

 

“Ellie baby it’s time for bed”

 

“I don’t want to!”

 

“Why not sweetheart, everyone’s left now so you need to say goodnight” Joohyun wondered why she was negotiating with her three year old.

 

“Son Ellie I hope you aren’t giving your mother a hard time?” Seungwan said from the doorway of the toddler’s room.

 

The kid froze caught red handed by her mom “Come on kiddo, bedtime and I’ll even sing you a lullaby. How about that?”

 

Ellie jumped onto her bed showing how excited and eager she was at the proposal.

 

“I can’t believe you’ve been here only 5 hours and she’s already listening to you better than me”

 

“It’s the Son charm Hyun” Seungwan winked in response.

 

Joohyun then sat at the foot of the bed watching fondly how her wife tucked their baby into bed whilst singing a melody in English and booping her nose goodnight.

 

The couple then went downstairs and Seungwan pulled out an expensive bottle of wine.

 

“Where did you get that?”

 

“The President gifted it to me when I landed yesterday”

 

“So you’ve been here for more than a day and didn’t tell me?” The bottle popped open with the most satisfying sound to ever exist.

 

“Protocol Hyun” Seungwan poured them generous glasses and sat down on the couch next to her equally tired spouse.

 

“This doesn’t feel real, I’m just so used to you not being here I don’t know what to do, how to act”

 

“Ouch Hyun” Seungwan shuffled up and wrapped an arm around her wife’s shoulder, Joohyun nuzzled into the other’s neck.

 

“I missed how you smell, all your clothes ran out of the scent and sometimes I’d walk past bakeries going ‘it kind of smells like Son Seungwan’” Joohyun paired her story with a dolphin laugh as Seungwan couldn’t help and kiss her forehead.

 

“I should thank you, for holding down the fort. I knew you’d be fine but seeing the way Ellie has grown up, you’ve raised her to be such a beautiful girl and I’m sorry I couldn’t be here in the times you needed me”

 

“What matters is that you’re back now”

 

“And I’m not going anywhere so use me how you please Son Joohyun”

 

“Careful what you wish for.”

 

Silence enveloped the two as Seungwan her thumb on her wife’s shoulder whilst simultaneously flicking though the channels.

 

“So the question I’ve been dying to know is how much can you tell me about your mission? You’re one of the few people who have left the North with all four limbs so spill Son”

 

“No can do m’lady, signed a binding contract when I landed stating that no information can be leaked until I am in my grave or the government instruct me.”

 

Joohyun pouted at the remark but suddenly became devious lightly trailing her fingers up her wife’s shirt.

 

“Not if I even persuade you” Seungwan groaned at the wondering hand.

 

“You can try all you want but I’ve been trained by the best in the field to remain silent”

 

“Hmm we’ll see about that Wannie” Joohyun straddled her wife and started her ministrations with the biggest smirk.

 

“Let’s see how long you last Son Seungwan”

 

Safe to say Seungwan eventually caved into her wife’s actions…whipped.

 

---

 

“Ellie my darling, wake up~”

 

Said toddler woke up and was happy to see her mother’s smiling face.

 

“You ready for school baby?” The girl gave her an eager nod quickly running to the bathroom to step on her stool and start brushing her teeth. Once ready Joohyun held Ellie in her arms as they went down the stairs but stopped when her daughter poked her cheek.

 

“Umma I had a dweam mommy cwame back”

 

“Did you now? Why don’t you tell me about it?”

 

“She cwame in the gawden and supwised us all”

 

“That sounds like a nice dream kiddo but are you sure it wasn’t a nightmare” A different voice startled Ellie as her other mommy was making a scary growling face at her.

 

“You’ll scare her Wan” but before Joohyun could tell her wife off little Ellie was running to her favorite mother’s arms.

 

“Mommy you’re here!”

 

“That’s right and I made you special coconut pancakes for breakfast” Seungwan pecked the younger’s nose as she clapped her little hands together on the chair.

 

“Yay my fwavorite!” The three year old just dug into the fluffy stacked pancakes not saying a word further and smiled when both her parents sat on either side of her watching over with a fond smile. Every now and then Seungwan would wipe Ellie’s lips where there was syrup seeping out and Joohyun would remind her daughter to chew slowly but secretly loved her squirrel cheeks when they were filled up with food just like her wife. Overall the two were just happy they could fuss over their daughter in harmony.

 

Once cleaned up and ready the family went to drop Ellie off at school. Seungwan fiddled with the straps of her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter