Duck

I Like Him for Me

I woke up the next day feeling dreadful, I sat upright stretched and laid back down. I was certain I was sick. Sick in love? Doubtful. I placed my hand on my head, checking my temperature. Foolish enough to diagnose myself, it felt like a fever. I rolled over onto my side and glared at the pug calendar on the table. Each day was a different photo of a pug with a random quote, as if it could predict what the day would bring. Usually the quotes were vague and described the image of the pug. Today, it was accurate and centered. "When u sleep through ur alarm" I didn't dare look at the black square alarm clock sitting next to it. It was the beginning of the week and I was nowhere near ready to face it. 

I reached over the table to grab my phone. 12 missed calls from Boss . I flinched, cowering under the covers. Chaerin was going to kill me and she had enough connections to make it look like an accident. Hell, I was clumsy enough to help her case too! Just as I was going to toss my phone into the abyss and pray for sleep, the phone rang again. I knew I could no longer ignore her calls and answered.

"Hello?" 

"What do you mean hello! It's 1 in the afternoon, where the hell are you!?" Chaerin yelled in the phone, I drew back from it. The sheer volume of her tone filling the entire room with sound. 

"Hae so help me god, you better be writing from home. And if it ain't the greatest ing articles I've ever read, I will cap your !" 

Dear god, the language. 

"I know you're upset-" Wrong choice of words, Donghae. 

"Upset!? You were supposed to meet with Hyukjae, two hours ago! I've been calling and texting like I'm a ing assistant!--no I do not need coffee right now, Dara!

I exhaled, shifting my position in bed. "I'm not feeling good today and-" Hyukjae? Two hours ago? I glanced over at my calendar. The day was empty. Yuri never mentioned any meetings. Was this her way of being spiteful or an attempt to make me look worse than I felt? 

"-I was never supposed to meet with Hyukjae." I replied. 

"Are you bullting me right now Hae? Are you on drugs? Alcohol? little blue pill?" The sarcastic tone was evident and I rolled my eyes, feeling the onset of another headache. 

"Yuri didn't tell me anything the other day and I didn't receive any texts from her either."

I could hear her sigh on the phone. "I get it, Hae. I really do. But get your ing to Le Petit right now!" Click. Now I really didn't have a choice. I knew if I didn't get to Le Petit within the next 30 minutes, I'd lose my job. Chaerin was my best friend, but she was my boss. A leader in her own right, allowing me to get off over and over wouldn't look good for either of our reputations. I'd come off as an -kisser and a leech, feeding off of my connections. I'd never be able to find a decent paying photography job again. As for Chae, she'd lose her reputable position within the company. And as a woman, the respect she's rightfully earned. 

This was not the time to be goofing off. With what little energy I had left, I gathered my things and headed to the bathroom to shower and brush my teeth. Although I was already late, being filthy too would add to the negative remarks. 

Within 15 minutes I was showered, clothed and ready to head off when my phone rang again. This time it was a number I didn't recognize.

"Hello?"

"You're late." The voice replied. It was recognizable and I peeked at the number again. 

"Hyu-Hyukae?" I stuttered out. 

"Who else could it be?" 

"The phone number I have for you-"

"-that's not my phone number. It's Yuri's personal cell. She has two numbers." 

I gasped, clearly surprised but happy nonetheless. That meant she never answered Hyukjae's phone when I called because technically I never called him! Oh luck was still on my side. 

"Anyway, you're late. I've been waiting in my apartment for over 2 hours. You are aware I have a full schedule that cannot be altered, and currently you're cutting into a meeting I was supposed to have with Element for the redesign of my restaurant?"

I rushed out the door. Breathing heavily as I raced to my car. "I am so sorry, Hyukjae! I-I wasn't aware of our meeting, Yuri didn't inform me." 

"Fine. But hurry up." He hung up. I rushed to get dressed and ran out the door, heaving like a dying animal. 

 

"I-Ha-here" I bent over, brething heavily and gasping for air. 

"I didn't expect you to run." Hyukjae huffed, gazing off to the side. 

"You-you"

"Catch your breath first." He said and I took a few extra minutes gathering myself as I looked at what he was wearing. He wore light grey sweatpants and a light grey sweater to match with a red beanie. Honestly, I was surprised. I thought the man only wore suits and michellin stars. I noticed that he wasn't entirely paying attention so I quickly took the cap off of my camera and snapped a few photos. His fans would surely love this. 

"Are you ready?" He asked, irritation growing in his tone of voice. 

"I'm sorry Hyukjae, I wasn't aware of the meeting. Yuri never informed me. It's the honest truth, I'm not one to be late. I swear to you I ran over here as fast as I could!" I rambled on, fearful that he would cut ties with me on the spot. Foolish like this chopped contracts faster than anything else. I was going to kneel over and beg even more when I was cut off by giggling. 

The Lee Hyukjae was giggling? I couldn't believe my eyes. Laughter? His gummy smile and hearty laughter filled the air and my heart thumped wildly. Calm down Donghae it's just--

"What did you think I was gonna do? Kill you? I woke up half an hour ago." 

My mouth gaped open. He lied!? 

"I got chewed out by Chaerin because of you!" 

He wiped at his imaginary tears and I huffed. I couldn't believe this guy. Him of all people? He played a joke on me? 

"Oh please, you'll live. I'll tell her it was my joke, I just wanted you to get here as fast as possible." 

"Why? Yuri scheduled us for Wednesday, it's only Tuesday." I flicked my wrist to emphasize the time. Yuri was oh-so-adamant about timing every second that we met. 

Wednesday from 12:30-2:30.

It felt like I was in grad school all over again. Two hours. Yuri wanted me to finish a two-month portfolio on a schedule of twice a week for 4 hours? What a joke. She should've written it herself if she was so determined to steer me off course.

"I'm aware." He grunted. "I appreciate her but business is business. Le Petit is undergoing a major renovation. It'll be extended a floor with a private VIP reception area and it'll be done in time for the release of the portfolio. It ties hand-in-hand with the success of this restaurant. Not many are able to survive renovations mid-way through success. I'm at the top of my prime. Being out for even a day causes for a menu change, now times that by 60. I'm currently in the works of a brand-new menu."

I frowned. Brand new? That meant no duck confit. When restaurants underwent such dramatic changes, hit menu items were usually reduced to seasonal items. I couldn't wait half a year for it!  Would it even be the same? You can't schedule the time you eat a meal as beautiful as duck confit.

"So I wanted us to meet and go over a few entrees I've been thinking of, on top of the ones we already created. I'm sorry this was last minute, but my business half aka Yuri, said it was a good move to make while I was still the hottest restaurant." 

"I understand, but what about-" I had to ask about it. I just had to.

"What about what?" He stared at me, his brown eyes full absorbed in my words and suddenly I felt too shy to say it. Like some obsessed fan with nothing better to do than eat the same dish everyday. 

"Duck confit." I whispered shyly. It was easier to say to friends than the very man who made that dish complete for me. Before him there wasn't any duck in my diet, I didn't care for the wonders of anything other than chicken, fish and beef. 

"Eh? I can't hear you, Hae. There's some traffic."

"Duck confit!" I half-yelled, chest puffed out. Realizing how loud I was, I shrunk back into my seat.

Hyukjae stood silent. I gnawed on my lower lip nervously. Did I sound really cheesy? or really creepy? Or was I totally overthinking all of this. It was just a dish, not life or death. Well maybe it was more than a dish, but he didn't need to know that.

"You like my duck confit?" 

"Yes." I mumbled, feeling the heat rise in my cheeks.

"It-it was the first dish I ever made my own. Food critics hated that I mixed in pork fat. It was to add flavor and depth."

"Depth." We had said at the same time. "I know, your dish is what gave Chaerin the idea to start the portfolio. I was so obsessed with it." 

"Yuri hates it. She wants me to remove it from the new menu."

"Don't!" I shouted a little too excitedly. "It's--it's a classic. Changing your menu so dramatically might not be a good thing." 

What was I doing? Internally, I was kicking myself in the head for bringing up my love for his dish. Would it lead back to my feelings? I wasn't sure, but I had to voice my opinion. And truthfully, I was beyond annoyed with Yuri. Why would she want to remove the dish that put Hyukjae in the spotlight in the first place? One of his top-sellers? 

Hyukjae seemed to ponder the idea and then chirped up. "You're right. I'm the Chef, it's my menu and if you love it, I'll keep it." 

I grinned excitedly. He was going to keep the Duck Confit just for me