Figs

I Like Him for Me

"Details Hae!! Details!! How is my ship of the year?" Chaerin asked cheerfully. I'll admit, it was great to be back at my desk typing away and reviewing photos I had taken from the day before. But, Chaerin's enthusiam was less than welcomed. She walked in the room, closed the door and stood by my desk patiently awaiting my reply.

"Sinking." I replied morbidly. It was true. Although the ship had never set sail, it was sinking at the dock.

Chaerin swatted at my hands that were typing away. "Stop typing for once, I want details. What do you mean sinking?"

"We conversed, I embarassed myself. We went our separate ways!" I exclaimed, leaning back into my chair. "I've already got the perfect title, Failure.

Chaerin smacked the back of my head.

"What the hell, Chae!?" I yelped, rubbing at the stinging pain.

"Don't you what the hell me! I send you on the perfect journey and you come back with bull! You, Hyujae, fish. All alone! Do you know the amount of effort it took me to get Yuri to stay her home!" She sat on my desk, facing me. Her tight white pencil length skirt would've had most straight men drooling. Fortunately, I was nowhere near that.

"I get it, but I'm terrible at conversations. You know I'm socially awkward, that's why I take photos! And he wasn't helping either!" I shouted, frustrated at how everything was always my fault. 

"Wait a minute. You're telling me the Lee Hyukjae isn't good at making conversations? Now I know why Yuri is such a yippy puppy." She gave me her most devlish look and I cringed, knowing fully what that meant. It was time to dig deeper. 

"Please tell me this isn't to get back at Yuri, Chae."

Chaerin bursted out with laughter. "Oh please, Hae. I would've left that guy regardless, he had no goals or aspirations. Luckily for me, she made dumping the guy that much easier. I'm doing this to save Enrich. We need a story and a damn good one at that. But we need to be sneaky. She's on my trail. Even a rat knows when there's danger."

I sighed, feeling the onset of a migraine brewing. At this point, no matter what I said it would go in one ear and out the other. Chaerin was cutthroat and a vicious editor, but she kept our magazine afloat. I recalled her sentence sneaky...wasn't Yuri simply protecting her client's boyfriend's private life?

"What do you mean sneaky?" I ignored the throbbing in my temples.

"Don't you get it Hae? She's obviously involved with Hyukjae! It all makes sense now!" She clapsed her hands together with delight. She slid off the desk and walked closer to me, clearly examining me.

"Uh- I appreciate the...happiness, but you're reaching for tabloids now."

"We are still a magazine company."

"Who has no proof that Lee Hyukjae is dating anyone, and if it came to light his career would be affected!"

"Because of a dating scandal....or you." She poked my shoulder.

Chaerin crossed the line. As much as I cared for Hyukjae, I would never in this life or the next destroy his career because of who he dated. Straight or not. It wasn't my business and mother always told me you don't mess with two things in a person's life. Their money and their lover.

I pushed her hand away and got out of my seat.

"That's cruel, Chaerin. Even for you." 

"Hae, wait." Her hand grabbed my shoulder gently. "You know that's not what I meant. I-I didn't mean to hit so close to home."

Tears pricked at my eyes and my shoulders drooped. 

"Hae, I wouldn-

Knock! Knock!

"I'm sorry, I hope I'm not disrupting anything."

We both our heels as Chaerin's assistant, Dara entered the room. 

"I apologize, Chaerin. Lee Hyukjae is outside right now." 

We looked at each other, our eyes bulging and I ran straight for the round mirror on my wall. I quickly inspected my face hoping I didn't look tired or worst teary eyed. 

"Um-at this time?" She glanced at her watch. "Its almost 6 pm, what could he be doing here?"

"Uh. Not sure m'am, but he wants to speak to Donghae."

I coughed loudly, choking on my excitement. "Me?" Both Chaerin and Dara exchanged glances and I recognized the look. Surprise. It wasn't everyday a renowned chef came looking for someone like me. I straightened my shirt and spoke before Chaerin could react.

"I'll follow you, Dara."

Chaerin folded her arms over her chest and gave me a knowing look. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do, Hae."

Still bitter over her words, I responded "Hard to say, you've already done everything" and walked out, camera bag in tow. I could see her arms fall by her side from the reflection of the glass door.

 

"Mr. Lee." Dara called out. He turned around and my heart shot right up to my throat. He was dressed in a three-piece suit teal colored suit and I wanted to die. There weren't any roses, but flowers weren't necessary for this moment. I felt like a wife whose husband came to pick her up from work for a romantic evening.

"Sorry for showing up unannounced. Have you had dinner?"

My jaw dropped. I could hear harps playing and angels singing in the background. Chaerin's assistant cleared and left the two of us. My entire existence was nothing compared to those few words from him.

"I-I'm sorry?" Apologies spewed from my mouth and I wanted to sob. Of all the cool, y, great things I could say: I apologized instead. What a ing dunce I was. Years of heartbreak, failed relationships have taught me that timing and communication were keys in the prologing of a relationship. And so far, my communication was crap which left me with timing. I peeked downwards, remembering the outfit of the year I had on: ripped blue jeans and yet another plaid shirt. This time in red! All complimented with another.ing.beanie. Was it I that had bad timing or was it Hyukjae? Or was our relationship doomed to fail? 

"Is that a yes or no?" He asked again, this time I noticed the hesitation had gone from his tone into a more passive-aggressive one. Basically, I was annoying and wasting his time every time I had a stupid moment.

"Um-no, not at all! I usually eat at 4-" I looked at my watch. "And it's almost 6 pm!" I was upset. That meant I spent an hour entertaining Chaerin and lost an hour for eating delicious food. That's when I remembered Hyukjae was standing right before me. Instantly, my cheeks were flaming. He was staring right at me. Breathe Hae, breathe. God what was breathing? Oxygen?? C02?

"Uh-yes. That's a yes."

A look of relief spread over Hyukjae's face and I was beyond the moon. He wanted to eat dinner with me! Oh my god there were so many places I wanted to go. There was a restaurant by the water that served the most delicious creme brulee, but dessert first? Tacky. Or the delectable ramen place that just opened on the corner, it was nearby and convenient. But ramen? on a first date? Terrible. You ate ramen with friends, not potential husbands. Steak? Too fancy. Way too fancy for the attire I was currently sporting. He had on a tuxedo for christ sake! And I minus well have been a garbage disposal.

"So-"

"Um-" We both spoke at the same time and paused. I urged him to continue. Manners were good. Manners were great. Manners got most people a second date.

"Sorry for the tuxedo. I just came back from dinner with Yuri. We were nearby at the Ritz having steak when inspiration struck me. Since we have to do this photo-op I figured you could take a few photos and try the dishes as well. Fortunately you haven't eaten. A full stomach makes a picky palette."

My entire world shattered. He-Yuri-steak-date?

"Great thing you're already dressed like that since it might get messy. I'll change clothes at the restaurant."

I was completely floored. Dressed like that? What was that supposed to mean? I looked terrible? Literal walking trash? He turned around, exited the building and walked to his car. He expected me to follow, but my legs were frozen and not in a good way.

"You coming or what! I'm on the meter!"

I nodded, jaw slack and promptly walked to the car. Half-heartedly waving goodbye to no one in particular. As I slid into the passenger side, closed the door and buckled myself in, he pulled off.

We sat in complete silence until we arrived at the restaurant. He got in, pulled out his keys and unlocked the door. I followed him inside as he re-locked the door from the inside and flipped on the lights.

"You can make yourself comfortable, I'll go change clothes." He said and then disappeared into the darkness. I took a few steps and then decided to capture some photos. At least photography could make me forget how embarassing I've been these past few days. I snapped a few photos of the empty restaurant. The lighting wasn't the greatest, but the shadowing in some areas gave it the eerie feel I wanted it to have. These photos would greatly contrast with the lively photos from the fish market and add depth. The imagery alone would reflect two sides of Hyukjae. The chef everyone knew and the private moments he held to himself, like new recipes. It showed that he wasn't always in the presence of others.

"You ready to go?" He spoke.

I jumped up a bit in fright and snapped a random photo. He had caught me off-guard. Photography had a way of capturing my thoughts entirely.

He chuckled. "I guess you scare easily."

"Not at all." I mumbled and followed him into the kitchen.

"As I was going over the restaurants menu last week with my co-owner, Siwon. He exclaimed that we needed a new dessert item and a new main dish. The duck confit is popular, but the menu needs a revamp."

I smiled recalling the duck confit. It's creation led me to him and who knew the amount of lovers united by a single dish.

I sat down on a stool in front of the metal counter, while he stood behind it, announcing his plans."While at the Ritz, I saw a platter of cheese and grapes that inspired this dish. Goat cheese and raspberry sorbet with a pistachio crumble."

I frowned.

"What. What's with the look?"

I sighed. Great ingredients, but it sounded boring and with Valentine's right around the corner they needed more than boring.

"So you think it's boring?"

I covered my mouth in shock. He heard me!?

"You were speaking out loud." He deadpanned. "Just say it. Why is it boring?" He asked.

I put my hands back down. "It's boring because it is. A sorbet? Who hasn't done that already? There's a gelato place down the street."

"Gelato is nowhere near the same as sorbet."

"Take it from someone who isn't a chef. It's cold, it's frozen and refreshing. It's the same."

He sighed loudly and placed both of his hands on the counter. I could see the steam building around his fingertips on the metal from how they contrasted in temperature.

"Let me think then." He paced back and forth throughout the space and I snapped a few more photos. His thinking process was as elegant as his dishes. As distressed as he was, his body language gave off a sense of calmness and concentration.

"Okay. Valentine's day. Chocolate. Whip cream." He rambled.

"Mousse!" I shouted. Everyone loved a good mousse and chocolate was the theme of Valentine's other than hearts and flowers.

"Okay. Okay." He snapped his fingers. "A goat cheese mousse would be denser and creamier than a chocolate mousse, but if it was paired with a raspberry filling it would be just as refreshing as a sorbet."

"But the pistachio crumble, you can't just toss it on the plate. If it's gonna be a mousse, why not layer it like a cheesecake? All the rich qualities of a chocolate mousse, refreshing as a sorbet but with a nice crunch element. It would add a contrast in textures." I beamed. All my years of studying food and photography hadn't failed me. I patted myself on the back, proud of my input.

"You're right! A goat cheese mousse with a raspberry filling and a pistachio sponge cake. I'll make a sponge cake, but add chopped pistachios throughout. I'll get started." He immediately began grabbing different items from the shelves and fridge, placing each item on the counter. He grabbed some pots and pans and I took photos of every step. I wouldn't use every photo, but having a variety of photos would make pairing them much easier. Different angles would allow the photos to pop-out more vividly. A step-by-step process that would take hours, summarized in less than 10 photos. It was brilliant, like the synopsis to a novel.

All that was left was to watch the process and await the goodies.