Scandal Pt 2

I Like Him for Me

Hyukjae pulled back from me and reached for my hand. Initially I grabbed it, reaching for a source of comfort but then immediately pulled back. I knew what he had to do to save Le Petit from the backlash and that meant separating from me. We had to both act and be as professional as possible. And in all honesty, he was with Yuri. It would all work out. Chaerin sensing my discomfort, pulled me towards her and she unlocked the door as we walked out. 

"Well its time to have a conference. Perfect timing actually, this could work in our favor. We reveal the book and in the end, the publicity will shift for the best."

"I don't want to throw that out there though, Chae. He's still working on it."

Chaerin sighed. "So have you, Hae. At this point, the portfolio will only be the afterthought of trying to cover up his book. We need to nip this in the bud. Trust Hyukjae, he's certainely used to being the face of pride. I'm sure he can handle a few unkind words."

We walked down the spiral staircase, Hyukjae first, then Chaerin and myself. I trailed behind slowly, every step reveberating in my ears. It felt as if hours had passed when it had only been 30 minutes. I glanced at my watch, it was so quiet I could easily make out the ticking. My steps matching the seconds. Hyukjae didn't look upset, he looked as if he understood and suddenly I questioned what might've happened to him in the past. The portfolio was strictly food-based with minor details about his life. Everything pertained to food, but somehow his expression led me to believe that he might've experienced this before. But where? I also questioned whether he would press me about what had been written in the article. Would he ask if I felt something more? Or would he leave it as someone's unfactual anger towards me. Only time could tell. 

As we grew closer to the door, my heart began pounding painfully in my ears and I teetered backwards unsure of what awaited us outside. 

"Hae."

"Hae are you okay?" 

I could hear Chaerin's concern for me, her voice pulling me out of my stupor. 

"I-I'm fine."

Again, Hyukjae reached for me. Grabbing my shoulder gently, laying a firm but gentle palm on my shoulderblade. 

"Honestly, Donghae. If you're not fine it's okay."

"I-I'm just worried." The fear rolled violently in my stomach. Tears pooling in my eyes as I froze at the bottom step, just inches away from the door. 

"What if my career is over? This portfolio is everything for Enrich, for Chaerin and yourself. What if I've ruined that? What if we all can't bounce back from this?"

 

What if it's revealed that I'm gay?

What will they do to me then?

 

"Hae, calm down." Chaerin reached for me as well, unknowingly my breathing had increased and I was hyperventilating. The fear crippling me, unravelling in tendrils and choking me. My life, everything I had given as a food journalist could be over. Even if the portfolio could be saved, what if the article raised questions? What if people started asking me? If I denied it, could I never date a man again? Could I never love a man? Could I never be with Hyukjae? 

"You're overthinking it, Donghae. Is..." Hyukjae paused. His hand slowly slid down my arm and then back to his side. 

"Is there something you aren't telling me? Was anything in the article true?"

I looked up into his eyes, my own overflowing with tears and shame. His brown eyes glistening with concern and apprehension. 

As if God knew, the door suddenly opened revealing Dara. 

"There you guys are! We've gotta go before the reporters start circling like hawks. I've managed to keep them in front, but we've got minutes before they run back here."

She pulled the door open widely and we all shuffled out towards where a black escalade awaited us. We hopped into the car, strapped ourselves in and it drove off in silence. I didn't know what to say and I didn't want to answer him either way. It meant he had read the article. Yuri had assured us he hadn't, but the bright light we had seen was the phone tinkering away in his hand. He had searched it up to fully grasp what was occurring before us.

The driver drove past Le Petit which was also surrounded by reporters and we figured the best place was Chaerin's house. No one knew where she lived, except Dara and myself. It was the safest place at this point. 

"Are you going to answer me?"

Chaerin reached for my hand, gave it a gentle squeeze and then released it. 

"For now, Hyukjae let's focus on what needs to be said. Have Yuri meet us at the rendevous point." 

We geared closer to Chaerin's apartment, parking directly across the street when reporters zoomed in around the car. Flashes of light blinded us as reporters snapped photo after photo, questions being yelled outside of the window. 

Are you two in a relationship?

What is the fate of Le Petit?

Are you covering up something?

Have you kidnapped Hyukjae with your obsessions?

The questions were endless, dizzying and disgusting. The vulgarities pouring in as they tried to break us down. Hyukjae tapped the driver on the shoulder and we were barely able to get away. 

"How could they know where I lived?! No one in my entire ing office knows except my assistant and Donghae! What the is happening? Do I have a stalker?!" Chaerin's angry voice echoed in the car and I cowered slightly. She was a force to be reckoned with, especially when it came to her home. Everyone's peace began and ended in the privacy of their homes.

Hyukjae's face shifted too, anger contorting his usually calm demeanor. "That means it could only be two people."

Chaerin shifted towards Hyukjae, my frame caught between the two wolves. 

"Are you blaming my Donghae?" She emphasized the "my". Her voice deepening with eyes of death. 

"Given the circumstance, we can't rule anyone out." Hyukjae replied.

"Let's up that number to 3 and add Yuri."

"She has nothing to do with this." He immediately responded.

Chaerin scowled. "So you defend someone who clearly hates our guts, but not the person who's career can actually be affected? Real smart there." 

She was brutal in her retort, but it made sense. Why was he so quick to defend Yuri now when earlier he was completely on my side? I understood the difference between us. She was his lover and I was just..another reporter trying to cash a check.

"Because I know Yuri." was his only response. 

"And you're assuming that I don't? I've known Yuri way longer than you, Hyukjae. Don't get it twisted." I could feel the tension rising in the air. Chaerin's muscles tightening underneath her blouse. She was heavily active, a runner and she did cardio and yoga. In her words, looks don't come from thin air. Her hand was balled into a fist and I feared she would punch him any second. 

"Okay. Okay. Enough!" I interjected. There would be a cat fight any second. "You two fighting isn't helping me nor the situation. We have to figure out where else to go. Chances are they're at my apartment too. Where's a safe place?"

Chaerin relaxed slightly in her seat, but I could feel the anger rippling off of her in waves. I'd be just as upset, but currently I was terrified. What could I do? I hated feeling weak and helpless. This entire time I had been so meek, it was time I fought back....but how?

"I know a place." Hyukjae spoke up, his face expressionless as he directed the driver where to go.

"Brisju? Isn't that a restaurant?" I asked. I had done research on several restaurants in the area...and by research I meant that I had eaten their food. Brisju was a mingling of Jeju island and Brisbane, California. A tourist space in a mountainous area. Odd pairing, but their steamed kimpab was to die for. 

"I have a friend there. He'll help us out."

"And by friend you mean..?" Chaerin asked. I could tell she was still immensely upset, but was trying to focus on the bigger picture. Her aura was keeping me calm too, the anxiety bubbling in my stomach.

"Cho Kyuhyun."

Oh no. He meant the most pompous I had ever met. 

"Kyuhyun?" Chaerin repeated and cackled. "Oh this is gonna be fun."

Suddenly, Hyukjae's eyes were on me and I felt my cheeks heating up. Chaerin knew about my warped history with Kyuhyun and now Hyukjae was about to find out the embarassing story! 

How much more could this day bring!?

 

"We're here. Driver, pull up towards the back."

He looked towards us. "We're going in through the back entrance. I've told Kyuhyun of our arrival."

"Did you mention my name?" I squeaked. 

"Uh no. Just that I had two guests with me." As the driver pulled up, I swallowed nervously. We all looked around as we got out the car. No paparazzi. It seemed we were in the clear. Maybe the press didn't know about his friendship with Kyuhyun either. 

"Hyukjae, what a pleasant surprise."

My eyes bulged as Kyuhyun poked his head out of the door and waltzed out wearing the tightest black jeans I had ever seen and an even tighter white deep v-neck. He wore black eyeliner and his hair was dyed blonde, perfectly styled. The bangs he normally wore, pulled up and away. I immediately scurried behind Chaerin.

"I thought he said he didn't tell him about us!" I angrily whispered. "Oh god, cover me. I feel like utter and now this!?" 

Chaerin on the otherhand was shaking with laughter as she whispered back, "At least you know he's drop-dead gorgeous."

I scowled watching the duo hug, smiles plastered on their handsome faces.

"Kyuhyun, I'd like you to meet Chaerin, the editor-in-chief of Enrich Magazine and Food Photographer, Lee Donghae."

I watched Kyuhyun's eyes glance at Chaerin and then dart towards me. His eyes glazing over as he approached me. Step by step, my heart jumped. He reached for my hand and trying to be as normal as possible, I extended my own. Instead of shaking it, he turned it over, gently caressing my knuckles as he planted a kiss on my hand. Instantly, my cheeks turned beet red as I yanked my hand back. 

"I'm assuming you two know each other already?" 

"Of course, Jae. This is the lovely foodie I was telling you about. The man I wish to serve for the rest of my life."

 

And as if on cue, I fainted.