Snooze

I Like Him for Me

When I woke up, I sighed blissfully. I slept incredibly. Who knew a kitchen counter could be so comfortable! My eyes opened and I took in my surroundings. Wait. This wasn't a kitchen. And I was sitting on a stool. I sat upright and gasped. I was on a bed?! I flipped my legs around. A blanket?! My bed isn't this big or this clean. Oh my god. I inspected myself, please please- oh thank god. I still wore my clothes. I thought the sponge cake- EEP! What time is it? I swung my legs out of bed and tripped over my own feet and straight into the ground.

"What in the hell?" 

"Oh you're awake. I brought you some coffee and croissants." 

Hyukjae walked right over my fallen body and placed the tray on the table. He had changed clothes, that much I noticed. His usually spiked up blonde hair laid across his forehead. He wore a long sleeve blue grey v-neck with the sleeves rolled up just a tad and some black slacks that fit him like a glove and I wanted to die. He was dinner and dessert all in one.

"Uh. Clean up after yourself. I've got some errands to run. Just make sure you lock the front door." 

Front door? I- this wasn't Le Petit. This was the Lee Hyukjae's apartment. 

"Uh, what time is it?" I asked still somewhat groggy. It felt like a dream. It was infinitely impossible that I slept in his apartment, on his bed-so where did he sleep? Maybe this place was bigger than I imagined. Maybe there was more than one bedroom.

"8 am, and yes this is my apartment." He replied slowly, tossing a newspaper onto the small desk beside the bed. 

"H-how did I get here....exactly?" I picked myself up off the floor and the remanants of my pride. It was an honor to be in the exact same bed as-

"Don't get any wild ideas. You were exhausted and I had to clean the kitchen, so I moved you here. Do you really think my apartment is that far? I'm a chef, my whole world is in my restaurant."

I rubbed the back of my neck in confusion. What exactly did he mean? Was this a secret loft in the basement? He wasn't that obsessed with this place....

"I live across the street. This is a two-story building that I bought and had re-built with a larger kitchen and a master bedroom. Initially I wanted to live above the restaurant, but given the noise it wouldn't be fair to my future wife and kids. So I opted to live across instead, this way travelling is a breeze since I work long hours."

I frowned. Wife. He wanted a wife....and kids. I would make an amazing wife, or husband or both. But I could never give him kids. No matter how much we could love each other, he'd always want a family. I, alone could not take the place of the joy kids would bring him. If I tried to win his heart, I'd break it at the same time knowing our love could never create life. The thought alone burned deeply in my heart. And as if luck was never on my side, his phone rang.

"Give me a minute. I have to take this." He walked outside and into what I could assume to be another room. I tip-toed closer, trying to hear what was said. Immediately my heart ached more.

Good morning, Yuri.

Yeah, I'm fine. What about you?

You want to come over? That's fine. Just let me clean up.

Okay. See you soon. Bye.

I backed away before the conversation ended and Hyukjae walked in.

"Change of plans-"

"-I'm leaving." I grumbled. I had enough disappointments for one week, but at least this would be enough to end my miserable crush.

"Um-okay. Cool." He stuttered out. I moved quickly and grabbed my bag off the floor, fixed my shoes on and then waited for him to direct me. There was no point in opening another door that led me nowhere.

"I'll show you out." He turned left and opened the door, then went down some stairs. I didn't bother to look around this time. I wasn't coming back. Our relationship had already detoured from professional the second I slept in his bed, with or without him. He opened the door and I was greeted with a light fog and thick, heavy clouds. I didn't have an umbrella.

"See you next time, Donghae!"

Before I could turn and ask for an umbrella, the door was closed in my face. As if on my schedule, the sky opened up and it began pouring. I held my bag in my hands and ran for it. I didn't have my car with me either, so I prayed a cab would see me. After 15 minutes of calling and searching and whistling: nothing. I was beginning to get completely drenched. Luckily, my camera bag was waterproof. I was not. Eventually I gave up. It was Sunday, where the hell would I find a cab on a rainy Sunday morning? It was better to find a train or bus.

Just as I began walking, Yuri was greeted into Hyukjae's home and arms. Gummy smile blazing.

 

"Why are you here on a Sunday, Hae?" 

The door opened widely and I was greeted by Chaerin in sweatpants and a hoodie. I pushed past her, removing my shoes and making my way towards the bathroom.

"And why are you all wet?" She said, stepping over the tiny wet footprints I left behind. I entered the bathroom and reached for a dry towel, trying to sop up most of the water.

She walked past the bathroom and came back minutes later with a cup in hand. The steam swirled upright from the cup and I sniffed softly taking in the aroma. 

"Hot cocoa"

She smiled, handing the cup over to me. "You know it, my secret recipe."

I laughed and took a small sip, watching as the tiny marshmallows bobbed around in the cup. "Pfft, it's Nestle."

She shrugged and leaned against the doorframe. "Nestle, homemade. All the same. Now, care to tell me what happened."

I sighed, my shoulders deflating as I did. "It's a long story, Chae."

"Well if you came all the way here, I'm sure it's an interesting story at that." 

I walked towards the dining room table and she followed closely behind.

"And then I saw Yuri hugging him." I sid, completely defeated.

"That's it?" She asked and gave me a curious look. I stared, jaw slacked. What did she mean that was it? My moment of defeat! I could've seduced him, could've used my manly wiles and--did absolutely nothing.

"What do you mean that's it! Did you miss the part where I walked in the rain like a cowering puppy?" I exclaimed, hands thrown in the air for emphasis. If there was one thing Chaerin loved, it was dramatic storytelling.

"Hae, he brought you to his home. Who does that to a stranger?"

"We aren't exactly strangers." I grumbled.

"He let you sleep in his bed and you've known each other for what, a week? Give yourself credit." She said patting my back. Technically, she was right. No one was that selfless, or rather that trusting of someone they just met. But it could've been an effort to have a great article after it? Maybe to influence my writing to reflect him as a heroic Chef? No matter how I spun it, it didn't add up. He wasn't gay. That hug was no ordinary hug. It was warm and loving like a lingering handshake. That was less "Haven't seen you in years" and more "hello longtime lover". 

"Seriously Hae, where did this confidence drop come from? You used to be so confident! Remember the time you stormed in my office demanding that I give you the Newsburg article? Remember the moment I said 'no' and you quit on the spot? Whether you had known me or not, you're not the type of person to beg or accept defeat. You've always been hardworking and determined. I want that Donghae back."

I wiped the tears stinging my eyes. "Oh Chae, I didn't know you thought so highly of me." I extended my arms for a hug when she smacked them down.

"Yeah, now where's those articles you started on?" She rubbed her hands together, leering greedily. 

"Really." I deadpanned.

"Of course! I'm your number one bestie, besides you-know-who, but I'm also the editor of the magazine company you work for~" She smiled evily and I looked away, choosing to sip my hot chocolate.

"I've only finished one, I have another one in the works. But I don't-Oh no!" I ran back to the bathroom where I had tossed my camera bag and scoured through it. Where is it?! where is it!?

"What's wrong?"

"I can't find my notebook."