Desperate

I Like Him for Me

"Hyukjae, you just aren't trying hard enough. I don't understand what's so difficult."

Another failed dough tossed into the trashcan. It had been the seventh. Never had he struggled so much to make a simple bread. He had studied in the city of food, Paris and yet here he was unable to make a first level bread. Somehow the eggs and the flour ratio were all twisted, the dough too runny or overworked. The gluten not reaching its destination. 

"I don't get it!" Hyukjae exclaimed whilst grabbing another cup of bread flour, tossing it into the bowl angrily. Why weren't his hands working properly today...

"Neither do I." Yuri responded, tossing the bite of bread she had sampled into the bin. It was dry, unkempt....emotional. All unlike Hyukjae who was organized. 

"You've been distant and unorganized because of him."

Hyukjae scowled, wiping his hands on his apron. "You talk about Donghae as if he were nothing."

"What should I say about him then? You wouldn't be this way if it weren't for him. We have a grand opening in two days, a book release in another week and you can't even make a simple french bread!"

"I'm trying!" Hyukjae threw his hands in the air and walked off, he had enough of this. It was his fault for trying to hide behind a woman his whole life. He wanted so badly to separate his uality from his food and yet Donghae had done it so....effortlessly. He saw Donghae suffer and yet he still went on to the stage knowing what everyone would say. He put his entire career on the line, just to save Hyukjae's career. Yet he couldn't do the same for him? He yanked his apron off and tossed it to the floor.

"Why are you behaving like this! Get over your stupid man crush!"

"Donghae is more than that! Leave him out of this!'

Yuri chased behind him, her heels clacking against the floor violently. "I would leave him out of this if you would leave him out of your head. What happened to us, Jae? You were head-over-heels for me now you barely give a damn!"

Hyukjae turned around. "I never was. I pretended, Yuri. To survive this industry! But Donghae....he....he pulled it from me. I tried to hide it, but he's in everything I've done. The duck confit, I kept it for him. The choco-ice mousse when he said how much he loves chocolate. The pistachio sponge cake, pistachios are his favorite. Even now, a french baguette for his love of french food that I can't ing get right because he isn't here!"

Yuri remained silent. Her arms fell by her side. Hyukjae didn't love her? Not as if she cared. Working a business with one of the most successful chefs was a blessing in itself, but she enjoyed how he chased after her. Knowing now that it was all for show? She was downright bitter.

"Choose then. Either our partnership remains without the photographer, or you run to him and leave me and Le Petit behind."

Hyukjae stared at her in disbelief. Who gave her the right to pin him between someone he lo-cared for deeply, his friendship and his career?

But did he have a right to choose? 

 

Chaerin sat at her desk, eyes drifting in and out. She was exhausted. Donghae had lovingly chosen to send her all the work he had done thus far all at once in an email. It was extensively detailed, intricate and a whirlwind. She could tell how much he had put into the portfolio, although he was still working on it. 

Her head bobbed up and down as she fought off her sleep. Her hand still toying with the pen it held until it crashed with a loud sound atop her desk.

"Goddamit!" She shouted, accidentally smacking down her cup of cold tea on top of her fitted black skirt. "DAMMIT!" She screeched, causing her assistant Hyomin to rush in, ready for action. 

Chaerin frantically stood up, wiping at her skirt, trying to dry it. Hyomin noticed what was happening and rushed to grab some napkins. 

"Here you go." Hyomin passed them off to Chaerin who snatched them and dabbed at her skirt.

". I really loved this outfit today. Min, go buy me some black slacks size 2 please. Have them tailored, ask Wang at the corner dry-cleaners he'll know my size."

"Yes!" Hyomin rushed out.

Chaerin tossed the wet tissues onto her desk and slumped into her seat. The week had not been promising thus far.

RRRRINNNNGG

Chaerin reached for her cell and answered it without checking who it was.

"Hello?" The voice called out. Chaerin gasped, sitting upright in a second.

"Donghae!?" She was in shock. He hadn't called or responded to her texts since he had left. 

"Yeah it's me, I'm sorry I've been quiet, Chae." She snorted. He had the nerve to sound meek.

"You better be sorry! Do you have any idea how ing worried I was? You disappeared on me!"

"I had to Chae!"

Chaerin slumped back into her chair.

"I needed some time to think and evaluate what I've been doing with my life. Now that I'm out and all."

Chaerin stared at the phone in the hand then placed it back to her ear. Did he mean what she thought he meant---

"Don't you dare." She scowled into the phone, hoisting herself up again. She was pissed. Why would he make a decision on his own like that? What made him want to run away. After everything that had happened, this was his bright idea? No way.

"I didn't say what I thought."

"You don't have to if it means you're staying wherever you are. What kind of hotel you went to that has your head in the clouds to think this is okay?"

A sharp intake of breath and a long pause answered her. He was really thinking of leaving for good. No goodbye, nothing. He hadn't even finished the portfolio, but whatever he was going through was enough for him to check out.

"Chae its-"

She ended the call and reached for her purse, throwing the strap over her arm. Enough talking, she was going to get to the bottom of this bull. How dare he give up? Not on her watch. Not while she still had a pulse and a body to die for. He was about to give up his career, a gorgeous best friend and most of all- the man of his dreams who was waiting for him--not that Donghae knew, but that didn't matter. What mattered was that this was his home. Not some flashy beachside hotel.

Chaerin swung the door open.

"Hyomin." She called out.

The poor girl frightened, dropped her pen and stood up almost immediately adusting her glasses on her nose.

"Yes?"

"Grab your bag. We're going to Paris."

 

"No."

Yuri stomped her foot angrily, her hands balled into fists at her side.

"You can't be serious, Jae!"

"I said no, Yuri. My personal and professional life are two different things. I'm not giving up on my livelihood so you can have your way." Hyukjae rushed towards the door, but Yuri stopped him. 

"As your Public Relations advisor, it is in my best interest to stop you from making a mistake. This could end your entire career. You have refused to change menu items, refused to cancel that worthless portfolio and now this? You're not giving me a choice here."

"And what choice is that?" 

Hyukjae was frustrated. There wasn't any reason for anything to be cut, he could manage the restaurant, keep his friendship with Yuri and....date Donghae. It was possible. 

"If you don't, then I will."

Yuri was adamant. She wasn't going to let any of this go, not for anyone. Hyukjae would choose her....he always did.

"Do what?" Hyukjae asked.

"Quit."


A/N: Sorry it's short and that its been forever, I wanted to throw something out there.