Chapter 8 : Over the Talk

Alive

01:00 PM

 

It’s finally lunch time. Seongwu, Kuanlin, Sungwoon, Jisung, and Daniel are going to nearby restaurant to fill their empty stomach. When they arrived at the restaurant, Minhyun was already there, with a cup of tea and a book in hand. He smiled when he saw his friends coming.

On time as always,” Daniel smiled at Minhyun and shook his hand.

Of course,” Minhyun replied.

All of them found their own seat, with Seongwu on Minhyun right side and Sungwoon on his left side.

 

Hyung, this is Kuanlin,” Daniel said to Minhyun.

Oh, hi Kuanlin. Nice to meet you,” Minhyun offered his hand and Kuanlin grabbed the hand fast and shook it accidentally tight.

Sorry,” Kuanlin apologised when he saw Minhyun frowned a little.

Minhyun laughed. “It’s okay. I’m just surprised.”

The waiter came to their table and gave them the menu. They decided that they would just ordered their usual meals so it wouldn’t take long.

 

Minhyun hyung…” Kuanlin called Minhyun softly.

Yes?”

I saw you before.”

Really?” Jisung and Sungwoon asked at the same time.

I mean, not in real. In the picture.”

Where?” Seongwu asked.

I happened to come to my friend’s house, Bae Jinyoung, and saw your pictures there.”

Oh.” is the only word that came out from Minhyun’s lips.

Jinyoung is Minhyun’s adopted little brother,” Seongwu helped to answer.

Kuanlin’s mouth made an ‘O’ shape and he nodded his head. “Is it something that I shouldn’t ask about?”

No, of course you can ask,” Minhyun smiled at Kuanlin. “Don’t misunderstand me. I love Jinyoung so much. We all love him. Our family, I mean. And I bet his friends also like him a lot too. Just like you.”

True. I like Jinyoung hyung. Even though he is someone who is quiet and only talking when needed, but I feel comfortable everytime I talk to him.”

Seems like you are quite a good friend for him,” Minhyun tilted his head, still smiling.

We are in basketball club together,” Kuanlin explained. “But I honestly never asked him about you. I thought if he wanted to talk about you, he will just tell me even without me asking him.”

So, do you want to know about him and me?”

Yes.”

So, Minhyun told Kuanlin about Jinyoung, Jinyoung’s family and his family. There is nothing to be ashamed about. They are all so happy Jinyoung is a part of their family.

 

When their meals finally arrived at their table, they halted their conversation and started eating with so much passion. Only Seongwu and Kuanlin ate calmly. Just in case there are fans nearby. They couldn't show them their bad table manner, right?

 

So, are you going to fetch Jinyoung hyung at our campus?”

Minhyun didn’t say anything. He just stared blankly at Kuanlin. All attention are on Minhyun now.

No, I don’t think that is necessary.”

Kuanlin just nodded his head and continued his meal.

 

When Kuanlin went to the restroom, Seongwu grabbed Minhyun’s wrist and made him turned his head to see him face to face.

You promised me that you will tell me about you and your family, but you didn’t. I let it slight yesterday because I knew you were tired. But now–”

What happened?” Jisung asked.

Minhyun was in Korea since three, four days ago and didn’t even go to his family’s house. He came to sleep in my apartment yesterday, and promised me to talk about it. But he didn’t.” Seongwu hissed the last sentence.

The other three people were now feeling very worried.

 

Later, tonight. We can all gather in whoever house and I will tell you about it.”

Promise us that you won’t ditch us,” Sungwoon said with very serious eyes.

I promise. Really.”

 

When Kuanlin came back to their table, he sensed something heavy in the air. But he didn’t ask. If his hyungs didn’t want him to know, then it must be best that he didn’t know.

 

Kim Yongguk, Kuanlin’s manager was coming to the restaurant to pick him up. He has to go to his afternoon class. The five men who were left behind also have to hurry to their next schedule, but not before arranging a sleepover (on Monday night – wich never happened before). They decided to gather in Seongwu’s apartment.

 

 

 

 

 

10:10 PM

 

So, what is it about, Minhyun?” Jisung asked while opening his second beer can.

It’s been an hour since we’re here,” Sungwoon said, “and you keep quiet.”

Daniel is not coming yet. I don’t wanna say things twice.”

After a while, they heard the doorbell rings.

That must be Daniel!” Seongwu stood up quickly and hurried to open the door.

 

Sorry, sorry, I’m late. Printing department was in trouble, I couldn't just go and let them deal with it alone.” Daniel sat down beside Jisung and took a can of beer immediately. “So, what’s the story?”

Jisung, Sungwoon and Seongwu looked at Minhyun. “We are all ready.”

 

I fought with my father,” Minhyun said in a very tiny voice. The other four have to move closer to Minhyun to hear his next sentence. “I like someone, and it made him mad.”

How could he mad at you just because you like someone?” Jisung grasped Sungwoon’s shoulder tight.

Hyung, hyung–”

Sorry, next next.”

He didn’t approve the one that I love.”

You are not a kid nor a teenager. It’s not right for your father to dictate who you can or can not love.” Sungwoon huffed and crossed his arms on his chest.

I know, that’s why we fought and I left the house.”

That’s why you didn’t want to come home since you came back here.” Jisung patted Minhyun’s head. “Just give your father time, he will eventually accept whoever person that you love.”

Minhyun laughed. Bitter. “It’s been three years.” The four of them widen their eyes.

So… you left Korea and went to work in Japan because of this?” Seongwu put his hand on Minhyun’s shoulder. He nodded.

 

Daniel finally opened his mouth and asked, “When will you go back to Japan?”

Minhyun smiled. “I’m not going back to Japan. Starting next week, I will work in Korea.”

Where?” Jisung curiously asked.

Korea International University.”

That’s Kuanlin’s university!” Seongwu was shouting unintentionally.

 

Why did you come back?” Sungwoon’s forehead creased.

 

Minhyun smiled.