Chapter 5 : Hwang Minhyun

Alive

Sunday, 10:45 AM, Namdaemun Market

 

Minhyun is looking around his surrounding. It’s been a while since the last time he went back to Korea. He misses a lot of things, especially his family and friends. He has been working in Japan for the last three years, right after he graduated from Seoul National University.

 

He wonders, whether his decision to come back to Korea is the right thing to do. He was already resigned from Tokyo National University and has been accepted in Korea International University to teach Korean Literature. Nobody knows about his resignation yet, not even his family. Nonetheless, he feels great to be back here.

 

It’s 11 AM sharp and there is still no sign of Seongwu in his near vicinity. Minhyun doesn’t complain though. He knows that Seongwu is always late. Besides, he is the one who came too early. He walks around aimlessly. Looking here and there, buying some food and eats the food while standing still, waiting for Seongwu.

 

11:25 AM, Seongwu finally arrived at Namdaemun Market. He is sweating, looks like he has been running from the place where Jisung parked his car to the place where Minhyun is waiting for him.

I’m sorry, I’m late,” Seongwu said while clutching his stomach. He tried to calm himself down before continued to talk. “I miss you so much.” Seongwu hugs Minhyun tightly.

Minhyun laughed and hugged him back. “I know. Now, now, let me eat the remaining food that I have with me now.”

Uughh, I’m hungry. Let’s go to Jinjujib. I also miss their food so much!”

 

They went to Jinjujib Restaurant and hurriedly order their food. Jinjujib is one of their favourite restaurant in Namdaemun.

 

It’s been three years since the last time I came to eat here.”

Why?”

Hmmm, I don’t know. Maybe because no one ever asked me to meet up here. Anyway, this place is our hiding place, right? So I think it is unnecessary for me to tell others about it. Aaaannddd… We didn’t even have a chance to come here last year and the year before because you only had some days off.”

That’s right. I visited your apartment for several hours before I went to the airport.”

Right. So sad.”

We have our own jobs and my days off were clashed with yours.”

 

Before Seongwu could reply Minhyun, the waitress came with their meals. They savoured the food in silence before Minhyun finally speaking again.

What is your schedule after this?”

I have no schedule.”

Can I sleep at your place tonight?”

Seongwu puts his chopsticks down. “You don’t want to go home?”

Of course I want to. But I don’t feel like going home tonight.”

You don’t have your things with you right now.”

My suitcase is in the hotel.”

How long have you been in Korea?”

Three days.”

 

Seongwu is looking at Minhyun with concerned. Minhyun just shrugged it off.

Be honest with me. What is happening with you and your family?” Seongwu stared at Minhyun hard.

Later. I’ll tell you after we go home. Anyway, I feel uncomfortable here. Let’s just eat faster and go somewhere.”

What? Why?”

I believe some people at my back are looking at us. Probably because of you.”

Ah, I see. So troublesome.”

 

In the end, they just decided to go to the karaoke bar. They sang for three hours and laughed a lot. It feels like it’s been such a long time since the last time they could sing their heart out. Not long after, Jisung came to pick them up and they went home immediately.

Jisung hyung, thank you,” Minhyun gratefully shook Jisung hand and went inside with Seongwu. Jisung just smiled at him and mouthed an ‘enjoy your stay and please stay calm – try not to kill Seongwu every thirty minutes because of his lazy is beyond help’. Minhyun laughed out loud while dodging Seongwu’s punch.