Chapter 6 : Bae Jinyoung

Alive

I don’t understand why do this Korean Literature is a compulsory course for Visual Art major? Like seriously,” Park Jihoon is grumbling for himself, “I don’t like this lesson at all.”

 

It’s Monday and Park Jihoon is currently waiting for his friends to eat lunch together at the campus cafetaria.

JIHOON HYUUUNGGG!!!”

Jihoon flinched on his seat when he heard his junior is calling his name. He ducked his head to avoid other people’s questioning eyes.

Jinyoung ah, please,” Jihoon called his junior name with pleading tone. “You’re so embarrassing.”

Jinyoung grinned sheepishly and sat down across his senior. “Sorry hyung. Old habit is hard to die.”

 

Bae Jinyoung, is Jihoon’s junior in Visual Art major. They didn’t become friends because they are in the same major, but because Kuanlin introduced Jinyoung to Jihoon after that basketball incident happened. Surprisingly, Jihoon and Jinyoung matched well. Jinyoung is happy because he could ask Jihoon questions about their courses and he also could borrow books from Jihoon. On the other hand, Jihoon is happy because he finally could have someone to talk to everyday. Jinyoung is like a little brother for him. Since Jihoon is an only child, he felt happy to have someone to annoy, to play, and to hang out together.

 

Where is Kuanlin?” Jinyoung asked while eating his lunch.

He has schedule with AllureHome today.”

I know, but it’s in the morning. He should be done right now. Usually he always eats lunch together with us eventhough he has morning schedule.”

He said he will have lunch together with the others.”

Who are the others?”

Wait, let me check his messages. Hmm… It would be him, his manager, Ong Seongwu and his manager, Sungwoon, Daniel, and Minhyun.”

Who?”

I don’t wanna repeat what I just said.” Jihoon huffed and picked up his spoon.

I mean the last name.”

Minhyun?”

Hwang Minhyun?”

I don’t know. Kuanlin only wrote Minhyun. Why? Do you know him?”

If it’s Hwang Minhyun, then yes I know him.”

Oh, how do you know?”

He is my older brother.”

What? You have an older brother? But, why is he a ‘Hwang’?”

I was adopted to the Hwang family.”

Jihoon’s face fell at the revelation. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to-”

It’s okay hyung,” Jinyoung smiled.

 

Jinyoung told Jihoon the story about how he could be adopted to the Hwang family.

 

His father died because of heartstroke when he was 10 years old. His mother didn’t remarried, so it’s just the both of them until Jinyoung was admitted as a high school student. Maybe because his mother was working too hard, and she was also stressed out about so many things, her health worsen day by day. She died in her sleep at the day when Jinyoung had to attend school ceremony on his first day in high school.

 

After the funeral, the Hwang family talked to Bae family about Jinyoung. Because his mother is a younger sister of Minhyun’s mother. They asked them to have Jinyoung as a part of their family without changing his surname. The Bae family agreed.

 

Jihoon’s face became gloomy after Jinyoung finished his story.

What’s wrong with your face, hyung? I’m okay though. It’s part of my life and I didn’t regret anything that happened nor I cursed my life because of its unluckiness. Besides, Minhyun hyung and his family are the most amazing people that I have ever met. They love me so much.”

I’m glad to hear that they love you and treat you well,” Jihoon smiled softly, “I just thought about my own family.”

What happened with your family?”

No, nothing happened. Just, I realised that I should be grateful about my own family. I have a complete family that other people are craving of. I need to cherish them and treat them better.”

Jinyoung smiled. “Right. People don’t realise their own treasures until its finally gone.”

Jihoon only nodded in approval.

 

They continued their meals in silence for a while, until they saw someone coming to them in speedy walking.

Hyung,” Jinyoung greeted him happily.

Can I join you guys here?” This person asked while sitting down beside Jihoon.

What’s the meaning of your ask if you will just sit down without us allowing you first.”

He laughed. “Sorry, I shouldn’t bother to ask then.”

Park Woojin! Where is your manner?” Jihoon smacked his friend’s head. Jinyoung laughed.

Oww...”

Don’t whine. It’s your fault.”

Yeah, yeah, my fault. Anyway guys, our music and dance club will have a big performance this autumn. And I proudly, presenting to the both of you… Free Pass to go to the backstage!”

WOW! Thanks hyung!” Jinyoung is looking at the Free Pass card that Woojin gave him with shiny eyes.

For once, you actually give us something useful for free,” Jihoon mocked him while examining the card. “But the card’s design is ugly.”

For once, can you not criticize something? I mean, anything or everything at all?”

It’s in my blood, I can’t help it. Sorry.” Jihoon said, without feeling sorry at all.

 

I saw the advertisement of this event. There are three guest stars, two of them were revealed, but one is still hidden. May I know who this person is?” Jinyoung asked.

Sorry, brother. It’s still a secret. But trust me. It’s worth your time and money.” Woojin winked at Jinyoung and Jinyoung pretended to puke.

I can’t wait to see you perform. It’s been a while.” Jihoon said giving a pat on Woojin shoulder.

So do I, mate, so do I.”