One Step Closer.

Moving Forward

They’ve been walking in complete silence for the past ten minutes, waiting for the other to speak first.

“Coffee?” Hani asks, pointing to the cafe across the road. Suho nods as they make their way inside the cafe. Suho pays for their coffee after much resistance from Hani. Hani waits at the table trying to come up with what she needs to say to him. She’s so lost in trying to find the words, she doesn’t hear him speak.

“Excuse me.” Hani asks embarrassed, he chuckles.

“Hi. My name is Kim Suho. Nice to meet you.” He introduces himself with a smile so beautiful, she can’t stop herself from returning it.

“Kang Hani.” They silently sip their drink before Hani asks for him to listen to her calmly.

“As you figured out. My family owns World Today! I had almost every single decision made for as a child, it continued until I finally had enough and started “rebelling”. Ever since then, I’ve been making my own choices, every choice I make is my own, most of the times. I chose what I think will make me happy.” She looks at her covered wrist before continuing.

“This was not my choice, it was already chosen for me and that’s why I hate it. It was extremely rude of me to blame you, when you don't have a choice in this either. I know you didn’t choose this or me and yet I blamed you. What I'm saying is I'm sorry. I apologize for my behavior.” 

“You don’t have to apologize. The only “rude” behavior was choosing to ignore me. I understand what you mean about having choices made for you. I’m not talking about my parents. I mean my company.” Suho replies a little flustered, Hani can’t stop the giggle that escapes her.

“You’re cute.” He stares at her wide-eyed.

Realizing what he’s said she stops giggling, focusing her attention on her coffee.

“You’re cute as well.” She snaps her eyes to see him already watching her, causing her to blush, but not losing eye contact.


Nayoung and Baekhyun watch Bomi stumble back to the booth from the dance floor. She downs another shot, before plopping between the two. Baekhyun wants to stop her, but Nayoung asks him to not disturb Bomi. This is the Bomi way of getting things of her chest, it helps “clear” her mind, according to her. So, they watch as her head hangs low, lips trembling as tears start dropping on the table. Nayoung scoots closer to wrap a comforting arm on her shoulders, as Baekhyun awkwardly pats her hair.

Breaking the silence, Baekhyun begins speaking “Bomi-ssi, I’m not trying to be rude, but why are you running away from Chanyeol? I mean, he has gained the reputation as a player, but I know it's not true.” he pauses before continuing “I mean he’s arrogant at times but he’s extremely loyal, kind, funny, talented, and he’s easy on the eyes.” he ends on a playful note, but that results in more tears.

“That’s the problem. Baekhyun-ssi, your friend is the definition of perfect, he’s kind, smart, tall, handsome, extremely talented, successful, confident. You, you Baekhyun-ssi, you’re also perfect, you’re always surrounded by amazing people. You’re idols for god’s sake, you’re surrounded by the most beautiful women and men in the country. Sooner or later, you’re friend is going to regret these stupid numbers.” She shakily finishes, as more tears stain her face, pointing towards her covered wrist.

“I’m not perfect.” Chanyeol says making his way towards their booth, Bomi stares at him wide-eyed before dropping her eyes. Even with Bomi’s strong grip on Nayoung, she manages to free herself as Baekhyun and her sit at the bar to keep an eye on their best friend’s.

“Bomi-ssi, I’m not perfect. Heck, I’m far from per-” Before he can say another word, Bomi’s head hits the table, blacking out. Chanyeol watches his soulmate’s face, moving a strand of hair behind her ear, her eyebrows furrowed, the frown adoring her lips and the foundation streaks running down her face.

Nayoung makes her way back to their booth, just as Chanyeol effortlessly picks the brunet up bridal-style, heading straight for the exit.

"You should have texted me sooner, I had to wait for the driver to drop us at the apartments, since we were almost there." Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun, but the elder's too busy trying to snap pictures of Chanyeol and Bomi. He looks at Nayoung to help him, but she decides to join Baekhyun and snaps a few on her phone as well.

"You should be grateful he texted you. If he hadn't, I was going to have Taeyoung pick us up." Nayoung hides her smirk and Baekhyun subtly high-fives her, when Chanyeol glares at the two.

"She's been drinking since we got to there." Baekhyun says, when Chanyeol scrunches his nose at the strong smell of alcohol.

"This is Bomi's method. Whenever she's extremely stressed, she prefers during herself into oblivion. It rarely happens though." Nayoung informs them. Bomi decides to start randomly singing, her words mumbled against Chanyeol's chest.

"I'm not a player or whatever, you've heard about me. All the women I've taken on a date-"

"BUT DARLING I"LL STILL CATCH A GRENADE FOR YAH." Chanyeol almost drops Bomi, but the latter tightens her arms around his neck and continues to scream out the Bruno Mars song.


The elevator dinging stops Nayoung and Baekhyun's teasing and Chanyeol hurries towards it, not even waiting for the people to exit when someone accidentally bumps into his shoulder in a hurry to leave the box and had it not been for his fast reflexes and Bomi's tight grip around his neck, he's sure he would have dropped her.

“Jihoon” Nayoung calls, noticing the male hurrying towards the parking garage with an overstuffed duffel bag.

He stops all of a sudden and Nayoung's about to walk to ask him where's he headed so late at night, but she also stops in her tracks, watching Suho and Hani enter the lobby, their laughter reaching before they round the corner to the elevators. 

Hani stops laughing as soon as she sees Jihoon and heads towards him, but he walks past her.

"Hoonie." Hani runs behind him and stops him with a hand on his wrist.

"Where are you going? What's with the bag?" She asks, looking at the male, but his eyes are focused on something behind her shoulder and the hand she has on his wrist. She turns to follow his gaze and notices him staring directly at Suho. The other male also has his eyes on Jihoon, and the two seem to be having a conversation with their eyes. Jihoon grabs her wrist and brings it up to show the numbers increasing with each passing second.  

"I'll always be your best friend.I love you." He tightly hugs her and using the moment of shock, he walks away from her.

"Jihoon." Hani calls out, trying to run after him, but Nayoung stops her and leads her to the elevator.

"He can't just leave." Hani keeps whispering, choosing to tightly wrap her arms around herself. Nayoung quickly enters the passcode to the penthouse and wraps her arms around Hani. Bomi unconsciously lightens the mood when she starts tonelessly singing to Every time by Chen and Punch.

Hani's feeling much better by the time the elevator door open on their floor. Nayoung and her step out first followed by Chanyeol and Bomi and then Baekhyun and Suho.

The chatter in the living room quietens down when they come in. The elders have already left, Hanna and Seungjae have called dibs on the two seater couch, while Hansol, Mingkyu, Haneul and Youngjae are on the long couch. The movie playing in the background is the only noise that's heard, while the three eldest members in the room scan the group of 6.

“Where were you guys?” Hanna asks, points an accusing finger at her cousin.

“You need rest. Leave” Hani ignores the question.

"I'M SLEEPY." Bomi gets everyone's attention and everyone bursts out laughing.

"Take her to her room, I'll bring water and medicine for her." Hani tells Nayoung. Minkyu's already on his feet before his soulmate can ask him and the two  guide Chanyeol up the stairs to Bomi's room.

"She's so mean to me." Hanna complains.

Haneul only raises his eyebrow and Hanna pouts. "I know it's my fault, whatever, I'm leaving. But only because I'm tired." She says, hugging Haneul and Hansol.

"I'm leaving Han. See you soon. Love you." Hanna yells, heading to the elevator with her husband.

"Take care. I'll call you tomorrow. Love you too." Hani yells back, returning with a water bottle and a bottle of pills, just as the elevator dings

“Hani-ssi.” Suho gets her attention.

“Hani.” she corrects him, playfully glaring at him.

“Your phone, Hani.” he hands her the phone, she looks at him with such confusion he finds it too adorable for words. “Nayoung gave it to me during lunch.” he scratches his neck, avoiding looking at her as his cheeks turn a light red.  

“Of course. Don't worry. I'll get back to her. However, Thank you for returning it to me.” she smiles at him, when he finally looks at her, this time his cheeks do turn bright red.

Flustered, he still asks her for her number, the other four men (Haneul, Hansol, Baekhyun & Youngjae), watch amused as Hansol sees through the fake confidence his twin is alluding, and the singer blushing like a tomato at his sister’s smile.

The idols leave once Chanyeol arrives, Hansol asks them to stay for some time, but they have another schedule early morning the next day.


“Hani-ssi.” Suho hesitantly says.

“Hani” she corrects him, shocking him, but he nods his head.

“Hani, I know this is not something you had wanted, but do you think you could give it a try. I mean can we try to take things slow and see where this goes? Suho suggests, his lips as his eyes keep scanning the cafe as he keeps fidgeting in his seat.

“Han Jihoon.” that gets his attention as he looks at her, but this time she’s avoiding him as she continues. “I have been in love with Han Jihoon for the past 14 years. However, Jihoon has never let our relationship progress from more than friendship, though he shares the same feelings as I do. If things do progress between the two of us, Jihoon is still going to be a part of our lives, because he is someone that has been in my life since the day I was born. I’m letting you know now, so if you want you can leave and I would like you to understand why it'll be difficult for me to try and make this work. I also would not like to get into a relationship, because you deserve much more than that Suho-ssi. You shouldn't have to be my rebound. Even if we are soulmates, we are not bound together. Hani calmly finishes.

“When we entered the cafe this morning, I saw Jihoon-ssi and you together. The first thought I had was, wishing for my soulmate to look at me the way the two of looked at each other. I honestly did think the two of you were soulmates, but then. As it registered, I realized I would have to either let you go or fight for you. I was really close to letting you go, but then I saw you smile and I knew I would regret it my entire life, if I let go without a fight. You said Jihoon-ssi and you have never taken a chance at having a relationship and I'm going to take advantage of that fact and fight for you. I know I've met you today, but I already feel something for you. I agree when you say I shouldn't be your rebound, so we're going to get to know each other and see if we truly would like each other enough to work well, instead of relying on the numbers on our wrists. But knowing all this, I’m still asking you for a chance. I may not be able to beat Jihoon-ssi, but I would like to give it my best.” Suho says.

“I can’t do that to you. I’m so--”

“Hani. Please. Just let me. I don’t want to live my life knowing I did absolutely nothing, when I could have tried harder. Please. Just give me a chance. I understand you love Jihoon, but you're not technically taken, I don't see the harm in trying to fight for my soulmate.” Suho calmly states. 

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” Hani hangs her head, blinking away the tears threatening to spill once again.

“Hey. It’s fine.” He makes his way to her. He kneels in front of her, taking her hands to reassure her. Taking the opportunity, he pulls out a box from his jacket. He slides the bracelet onto her right wrist.

Hani begins laughing as she recognizes the chemical structure of Serotonin, hearing her laughter he’s glad about the two drive he had to make for that.

“How did you know?” She asks him, smiling brightly.

“I did some research.” he answers with another shy smile.

“I love it” She exclaims pulling him for a hug. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I don't want to lead you on, but I won't push you away." 

"That's all I'm asking for."

After finishing their coffees they leave the cafe, as Suho takes the chance to get to know her more.

Suho can’t stop the smile on his face staring at the picture on his phone. Hani's admiring the bracelet on her wrist, her entire attention on it while a soft smile sits on her face. Feeling Baekhyun about to turn to look at him, he quickly wipes the smile off his face and closes the gallery app.


Even though it's almost midnight, Suho isn't surprised to find the rest of the members gathered in the living room. They all turn their heads in unison as soon as the three men enter the living room.

“Why are you still up? We have an early day tomorrow.” The leader tries to scold, but like usual they brush it off.

“How did it go with Hani?” Yixing smirks. Suho can’t control the smile on his face and the others quickly jump on him wanting to know the reason behind his smile, hesitantly summarizes the meeting.

“Hyung like we said, we’re there for you. Don’t worry, we’ll help you get our sister-in-law.” Sehun encourages him with a hug. The other members nod as they all come together for a quick group hug. 

“Where were you? Did you all come back together? Why didn't you answer your phone or texts?” Chen shoots off as soon as the group hug breaks.

"Go Rapper Chen-Chen" the maknae line joke, but quickly shuts up as Chen shoots them a glare. 

“I followed Bomi to a club with Nayoung. So, I texted Chanyeol thinking he would be able to talk to his soulmate. Bomi passed out and we went to drop Nayoung and her off their place. We ran into Suho hyung, that's why we came back together. And my phone died after I send Chanyeol the text. Look it's not even turning on." Unfortunately for Baekhyun, the screen turns on, the missed call and text notifications mocking him.

"B-bb-but it really wasn't working." Baekhyun tries to convince them, but the others can only shake their heads watching Chen stomp out of the living room, and soon they hear a door slamming, causing everyone to wince.

"You can sleep in our room." Suho pats Baekhyun's shoulder. Baekhyun drapes himself all over his Suho and the leader fondly rolls his eyes and leads them to his room.