Avoidance.

Moving Forward

"Hello, everyone I'm the dancer and the youngest of the group, Sehun."

 

After the introductions, Hani asks about the album they're currently promoting before moving on to ask the dancer for a small preview. The director calls for a 5 minute break as a few of the members asked for a water and bathroom break.

 

The three women are quick to hide themselves in the kitchen during that period, not wanting to run into anyone until recording starts again.

 

"For our next segment, we're trying something different." Hani starts, smiling at the members before looking at the camera, "We're going to give the members a chance to asks their fellow members questions or to simply critique or compliment their members." Hani reads off her cue card,

 

Nayoung chuckles at the sight of her best friend reading off a blank cue card. Hani did admit the segment happened because she was unprepared and also because she wanted to avoid having any unnecessary interactions with her soulmate, who just so happens to be the leader of the group.

 

As the oldest Xiumin starts off with a simply rhetoric question asking why none of the members other than D.O can learn how to keep clean. Like that, the questions start of funny and innocent, but soon start bordering on dangerous territories as the questions seem to be directed towards Suho and his soulmate.

 

Questions like, "Would you like a soulmate? How would you like them to look? What if they're taller than you? Would you prefer a male or female soulmate? What if it's someone who's not pretty?"

 

Hani finally intervenes when Sehun asks Suho to revel his countdown, turning the question to ask how many members have found their soulmates. D.O and Xiumin are the two that raise their hands since the public is aware of them finding their soulmates as they both heard their chimes during public events. Of course, everyone shares a knowing look, watching Hani and Bomi avoid looking at their soulmates.

 

"It's a shame not many of us are moving forward." Baekhyun sighs, before plopping an arm over his best friend's shoulder, "I wish we hear the chime soon, right Chanyeol." The lead singer teases, the rapper simply nods along.

 

"What are issues you've faced with your soulmates and how did you get through them?" Nayoung jumps in, not wanting anyone to linger on Baekhyun's comments.

 

Xiumin is first to answer, "For us, it was the language barrier, in fact Lay would accompany us for our first few dates. However, we both put in effort and time to learn other's language and culture which helped us communicate better."

 

"The stress of being in a relationship with an idol is awful. Saemi's privacy after we began moving forward is something that's still difficult for us. She's not one for unnecessary attention and suddenly being into the spotlight, simply for being my soulmate, makes her feel caged in. Because that's more of an issue with obsessive people not understanding boundaries, it's difficult to move past it, even if we urged people to respect her privacy." D.O states,

 

The members give him a reassuring look, one they seem to have done quite a lot and Hani remembers seeing news about D.O suing his stalker 'fans' after they injured his soulmate.

 

"And that's why rookies, you don't hurt your soulmate in front of hundreds of fans. You simply slip them your phone number and have security slip them away." Chen teases, winking at Xiumin as that's the route the oldest took after his chime was heard at one of their fan meetings. Hani giggles softy at joke, missing the fondness Suho looks at her with,

 

“Few more questions and we’re going to have to say good bye.” Hani informs them, noticing the director pointing at his watch.

 

“Hani-ssi, tell us something about yourself?” Lay asks with her with a sweet smile.

 

“The interview is for you. Not me.” Hani politely declines.

 

“Hani-ssi, It’s just one question. Please.” Chen requests using his puppy eyes , causing her to blush like no tomorrow.

 

“I’m Kang Hani. I have two older brothers, you’ve meet Kang Ha Neul, Kang Hansol is not here, the crazy woman is our cousin Hanna. As you can guess, I don’t work here. Hanna, randomly makes me interview artists, when she feels like it. There’s not much about me.” She answers before firing another question. “There’s a question everyone’s curious about, After CBX, can we hope for another subunit?”

 

“We don’t know. Can you?” Lay replies with his smirk.  

 

“Secretive. That’s fine. Do you guys have any more questions?” Hani asks.

 

“Hani-ssi. Join us for coffee after the interview?” Kai suddenly asks.

 

“Ex-Excuse me?”

 

“Not just you, but Nayoung-ssi and Bomi-ssi as well. Join us for coffee.” Kai says.

 

“Thank you for the offer, but I already have plans with someone.” Hani turns to get their answer, Bomi subtly shakes her head and a shrug from Nayoung.

 

"Nayoung and Bomi are joining as well." She finishes, she can feel Bomi relaxing at her answer. The members look disappointed, but the leader doesn’t let his expression fall, but some others are quite transparent.

 

“Unfortunately, our time with EXO has come to an end, until next time.” Hani ends the interview, letting EXO say their ending comments.


“Hani-ssi-”

 

“Han” Jihoon calls, seeing Hani pacing at the cafe entrance, with Bomi and Nayoung looking at her worriedly. The EXO members are getting their makeup off and gathering their things.

 

"Hoonie” Hani’s face lights up, running to greet him. As soon as she's close to him, she slips her arm around his waist.

 

“Han, I know I promised bubble tea, but there's a sudden appointment and I can't cancel." She looks at him with glassy eyes and he cups her cheek.

 

"Sorry Baby. I'll bring you bubble tea on the way home." He tries to placate her, and she sighs.

 

"I'm really sorry baby. Love you.” Pecking her temple and hugging her once more, he leaves.

 

“Hani-ssi. Looks like your appointment canceled, so what do you say to lunch?”  Chen asks, just as the others join him at the entrance.

 

“She says Yes” Hanna shouts, making her way towards them.

 

“I was supposed to take them for lunch, but you know me. I’m not good company. So why don’t the three of you go. I’ve already reserved a private room at the restaurant, all you have to do is show up and eat.” Hanna informs Hani and runs off, before Hani can finish processing the information.

 

“Good, looks like you can join us.” Sehun says, taking Hani’s arm and leading her towards the exit. Nayoung follows behind with Bomi, while the rest of the members trail behind them.

 

Sehun tries to engage Hani in a conversation, but all her answers are monosyllables or half-hearted nods.

 

Baekhyun tries to talk to Bomi, who politely chats with him, but avoids the giant next to him like a plague.

 


 

“Everything looks really good, what would you suggest getting?” Baekhyun asks the three women. Bomi and Hani are lost in their own world, so Nayoung answers. She keeps the males entertained with her set of questions, since her best friends aren’t going to be any help, not that she blames them.

 

“Actually, other than D.O, Xiumin, Suho and Chanyeol, I’ve also found my soulmate.” Sehun says as they’re almost done eating, the other members look at Sehun and roll their eyes.

 

“Congratulations.” Nayoung says, she nudges Hani and Bomi, but they’re so lost in their thoughts they don’t realize.

 

Hani hates the fact there’s someone already chosen for her, rather than her having the ability to choose for herself. She hates that she’s expected to be with someone, because of her wrist. Not because her heart feels something for him. All of Hani’s life, she’s tried to go against everything that’s been expected from her, she was supposed to join the company, but she choose to go a different route. Even when she could have gone to the best university in the country, she went abroad to get her degree. She’s never been one to stick to ‘normal’, she always makes her own choices.

 

While Bomi is in shock, her timer had indicated she would be around 28 yrs old, when she would meet her soulmate, Infact, she checked three weeks ago, and her timer indicated 3 years and 2 months. Another underlying fear is insecurity. Her soulmate is an idol, he’s constantly surrounded by gorgeous women and she’s barely 5’1, and she’s never the best looking person in the room, ever. Not to judge, but her soulmate has a bad reputation when it comes to women and she knows sooner or later, he’ll leave her. Just being soulmates doesn’t guarantee happily ever.

 

“OUCH” Nayoung's voice gets their attention, both of them snap out of their thought and begin fussing over their youngest.

 

“Nayoung-ah, what happened?” “Are you okay?” “Do you need a doctor?” "Let's go to the hospital. I'll call the driver."

 

“My heart hurts.” Nayoung says. “You’re both ignoring me and it’s hurting my heart.” Hani and Bomi roll their eyes, but they do turn their attention to Nayoung.

 

Baekhyun is about to say something, but Suho stops him. He’s in awe watching his soulmate take care of her friends, and the bright smile adorning her face. s subtly tease the love struck leader as he watches his soulmate. Chanyeol, on the other hand is getting a little impatient. He’s been waiting 26 years to finally meet his soulmate, yet she refuses to even look at him again.

 

“Now that I have your full attention, let’s talk about the elephant in the room. Hani, Bomi meet Suho and Chanyeol, your soulmates.” Nayoung suddenly changes topics. Bomi and Hani start to stand up, but Nayoung holds on to their wrists disabling them from moving.

 

“I would suggest giving you privacy to talk it out, but knowing these two, they’re going to run away the minute I let their hands go. And I really don’t want to be stuck in this situation alone, so you guys are also going to have to suffer with me.” Nayoung informs the others, they nod along to her suggestion.

 

“You’re hurting my arm.” Bomi softly whispers and Nayoung makes the mistake of immediately letting go of her arm. Bomi uses the opportunity to run out of the room, Hani uses the moment of shock and follows right behind Bomi.

 

“WHAT THE FREAK.” Nayoung yells as the footsteps start getting distant.

 

Pulling out two phones, Nayoung gives them a smirk. She hands one of the phones to Suho “This belongs to Hani. Her password is Chen’s birthday” She hands the other to Chanyeol. “This belongs to Bomi.”

 

“What?”

 

She rolls her eyes, “Well, those two idiots aren’t going to talk to you unless they have to, so using their phones as hostage is the next best thing. Bomi can go at least three days before she breaks, but Hani can only handle a day at max of being away from her phone. You’re probably thinking, they can always get a new one, but Bomi hates change, the only way she’ll even consider changing it, is if it’s unable to function. Hani hasn’t backed up her phone, which means almost all her appointments are on there. And she can’t risk losing it. So, No, they’re not going to get new phones.” Nayoung concludes.

 

“Why not give Chanyeol the password.” Baekhyun asks.

 

“I don’t completely trust him. Everything I’ve heard about Suho has been positive. Not a single person has said anything negative. Chanyeol as a person has no negative complaints,other than being a little arrogant at times. However he’s also gained a reputation as a player. My Bomi has been hurt enough, and being her soulmate doesn’t mean I’m going to happily hand her over to you.” Nayoung says, standing up to leave the room.

 

Just as she’s exiting the room “If you would like, join us around 8pm. I’ll text you the address.” with that she exits the room.

 

As they make their way out of the restaurant, “Hyung, don't worry. You got this.” Kai says to the two.

 

"We're there for you two." Xiumin says, as the other start adding words of encouragements.

 

“EXO. STOP.” Kang Hanna stops them, just as they’re making their way to the lobby.

 

“Sorry, about that. My cousin is a little crazy. For a psychologist, you would think she’ll be smart. Nayoung informed me she invited you to Hani’s birthday dinner. I hope to see you all there. You’re all invited, and you can also bring your soulmates if you would like. I’ll see you guys tonight. Take care of those phones, if you anything happens to them, you’re dead.” Hanna says bidding them bye, as the valet brings her car up the front.

 

"I'm suddenly glad for the language barriers, rather than having to chase after my soulmate."


On the other hand, Hani finds Bomi, on the rooftop, crying as the time on her wrist keeps increasing. Without a word, she sits next to the crying girl, pulling her in for a hug.

 

“Of all the people why an idol?” Bomi sobs into Hani, slowly wetting her blouse.

 

“It’ll be fine. You know, just because this stupid timer says he’s your soulmate doesn’t mean anything. It’s just a timer, what does it know.” Hani tries to joke, but that causes Bomi to cry more. Hani waits for Bomi to calm down before asking questions. But each time she tries to speak, she starts sobbing again.

 

“I knew you would be here.” Nayoung says making her way towards the two huddled in the corner.

 

“Son Nayoung. I am disappointed in you.” Hani says, as Nayoung sits with them.

 

“That makes the two of us. I’m extremely disappointed with both of you.” Nayoung pouts, earning a giggle from Bomi, while Hani rolls her eyes.

 

“Han, you’re being unfair towards your soulmate. Suho didn’t pick you as his soulmate. What if he wanted someone who’s happy to find out they’re his other half. There’s a reason, your timer began moving forward with his, get to know him and find out why your soulmates. I know, you’re against the idea of not being able to choose your partner, but no one's asking you to jump into a relationship with him. Okay.” Nayoung expectantly looks at Hani, who replies with a short nod.

 

“Bomi. I’m not sure what to advice you. Everyone tells me the worst thing regarding Chanyeol as a person is his arrogance, but he’s extremely loyal to the people close to him. His reputation as a player does seem troubling, but that’s something that he’ll have to fix, if he wants this to work. I’m not telling you to jump into a relationship with him either, in fact take it slowly. However, don’t run off if all you’re going to do is drown yourself in self-hate.” Nayoung says, wrapping her arms around the other two.

 

“Bomi, you are one of the strongest person I know. Your parents were s who didn’t deserve you. You are one of the kindest and most beautiful souls I’ve ever meet, you deserve to be happy, you deserve  to smile. You deserve the whole world. And if anyone tries to tell you differently, they’ll have to talk to me.” Hani says, while Nayoung nods along.

 

“And I also I agree with Na, Suho seems like a really sweet person. Throughout the interview, he kept looking at you to gauze your reactions and he would stop the others, if they made you uncomfortable. I like him for you. And about Chanyeol, I’ll keep in mind what the two of you have told me as well. It’s hard, but with you two by my side, I’ll be fine.” Bomi says.

 

“Guys, as much I would love to continue are our little moment, my legs are kinda falling asleep. So can we continue this moment as home.” Nayoung pulls apart, standing up to move her legs, pulling the other two up with her.

 

"On a scale of 1-10, how happy were you seeing Chen?"

 

"Over the moon."

 

"I'm jealous, Suho has always been my favorite."

 

"You can have him."

 

"Don't let your soulmate hear you idiots"

 

"Yah. We're older than you."