Family.

Moving Forward

“Kang Hani” Lee Seoyoung calls out, entering the penthouse, her husband following behind her.

“Mom, the trio have gone to pick up the cake.” Hanna informs her family from the couch.

“Auntie. Hani and Bomi found their soulmates. Isn’t that awesome.” Hanna happily squeals, as she hugs her aunt and uncle.

“We know honey. Not only did you call us, you also send us an email and almost 50 text messages.” Seoyoung chuckles.

“Sorry. I’m just really excited.” Hanna squirms.

“It’s fine. We’re happy as well. Tell us about their soulmates” Mr. Kang says.


Taking a sip of hot chocolate, “My timer’s begun moving forward.” Suho nervously says.

“That’s amazing. I’ve been waiting for this day.” His mother jumps up to give her son a hug. “Why don’t you look happy?” she asks, returning to her seat.

“Shesavoidingme.” he mumbles.

“Ahh.” That’s all his mother says, prompting him to tell her what happened. As he narrates the event, his mother quietly listens to him.

“Mom. What do I do?” he whines.

“You’re seeing her this evening. (He nods) Talk to her. Soulmates are not chosen randomly. We only begin moving forward with one person.” She advises him. “Have you gotten her something?”

“What?”

“It’s her birthday.” His mother deadpans.

“What do I get her? I don’t know anything about her.” He whines, a cute pout adorning his face.

“I don’t know. I love you, son. Your father and I will be expecting your soulmate and you soon. Good luck.” with a kiss on his forehead, his mother leaves him at the cafe.


“Where were you? Chanyeol’s throwing another tantrum.” that’s the first thing he hears, entering the dorms.

“What is it now?” Suho tiredly asks, setting the small gift bag aside, as he makes his way to Chanyeol and Lay’s room.

“He’s having difficulty choosing an outfit.” Kai yells from across the living room, where Sehun, Lay, Chen and Kyungsoo are dressed for the night.

“Hyung, finally. Can you please help him?” Baekhyun exclaims as he leaves the giant to their leader.

“Chanyeol, what’s wrong? I know it’s not the outfit.” Suho asks, taking a seat on Lay’s bed.

“I’ve been waiting all my life for her and now that she’s here, she won’t even look at me.” he tries to hold his tears, but he can’t help feel weak with the leader.

“I understand completely. As you see, mine’s also avoiding me.” Suho tries to joke.

“I’m sorry hyung. But I’m just scared there’s something wrong with me. Why else would she run away?” more tears stain his face, Suho moves to his bed to pull him for a hug.

“I don’t know. But what I do know is you are one of the strongest pillars of EXO. You’re an amazing son, brother, uncle, friend and overall a wonderful person. Just talk to her. Now, hurry up and get ready. The others have already gotten ready. They're waiting on us” Suho informs him as he leaves the younger to get ready.


“They’re here.” Hanna screeches from the couch, as the EXO members exit the elevator.

“We know Hanna. We had to let them in remember.” her mother jokes her.

The 9 men bow and greet the elders as they make their way inside the living room.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Kang Heechul. Bomi and Hani’s father, this is my wife Lee Seo Young.” Heechul introduces his sister and her husband and Hanna’s father and his wife.

The idols start to introduce themselves. Laughing when it’s Chen’s turn, as Hanna’s points out two pictures of Chen hung around the apartment.

(“Hani has a few pictures of you hung in her room as well. Suho-ssi, don’t worry, They'll be replaced with your pictures soon.)

The elders are happily getting to know the 9 members, when they hear the elevator. Seven men exit the elevator causing the parents to quickly get on their feet, as make their way to their son’s.

The members are filled in as Hanna introduces the newcomers. They already know Kang Haneul. Han Jihoon, Haneul and Hani’s best friend and acting chief editor. Kang Hansol, the third Kang sibling. Kang Minkyu, Hanna’s younger brother, Song Taeyoung, cousin of the Kangs, Choi Seungjae, Hanna’s husband/soulmate and she’s unsure who the last guy is.


“Mom. I love you. But I want to surprise Hani. So, can you please act normal when they get here?” Hansol informs his mother. As the other boys nod enthusiastically. They quickly hide their luggage and start searching for a place to hide, as they hear the elevator ding, alerting them on the arrival of the three women.

Nayoung and Hani are bickering, while Bomi’s watching them amused along with securing the cake as they enter the silent living room. Hani and Nayoung stop bickering, as they look around the filled living room with suspicion. There’s almost 20 people there, yet not a single person is talking. 

“Why is everyone so quiet?” Nayoung cautiously asks.

“SURPRISE!” The three women jump at the sudden volume as the men come out from their hiding places.

Hani doesn’t have time to think much, before her older twin throws himself at her. From the corner of her eye, she sees Taeyoung spinning Bomi around, while Minkyu is shamelessly peppering Nayoung with kisses.  

“Yah. Kang Minkyu, we’re still here.” Hanna yells, while the parents busy themselves with getting the food ready, not that the birthday girl is here.

“Noona, We’ve been separated for almost two years, we deserve this.” he whines tightening his arms around his soulmate.


“Bomi. I missed you so so so so much.” Taeyoung whines as he finally stops twirling her around.

“I missed you too. But can you please put me down.” Bomi asks, since he still has her in the air.

“Oops, I forgot I was even holding you. Haven’t you been eating? Why are you so skinny my Bomi?” he nags at her like a worried parent.

“Yo, Taeyoung. Your cousin’s still waiting for her hug.” Hani teases. Taeyoung playfully glares at her, but he still gives her a warm hug, before he's back at Bomi's side.

“So. Is anyone going to tell us why EXO is in our living room? And why the tall one looks like he wants to murder Taeyoung?” Minkyu jokes.

Everyone snaps their head at EXO, who’re all sporting the deer in the headlights look, Hani almost wants to coo at how adorable Suho looks, but she internally slaps herself for thinking that. 

“Ohh, You’ll never believe it.” Hanna excitedly starts jumping, her soulmate tries to calm her down but with no effect. “You know how we tease Hani and Bomi of being soulmates?”

“WHAT!! Bomi and Hani can’t be soulmates. Bomi’s min-” Hansol slaps his hand over his cousin's mouth. 

“Bomi’s what? Taeyoung” Hani teases.

“Nothing. Hanna. Please continue.” Taeyoung shyly says.

Rolling her eyes at Hani and Taeyoung, she continues. “They’ve found their--

“KIDS, Dinner time. Let’s go.” Hanna’s mother yells from the kitchen interrupting Hanna.

“Mom. I was getting to the good part.” Hanna huffs.

Popping her head out the kitchen, Hani’s father asks them to continue later.

One chocolate bubble tea for the birthday girl." Hani squeals, hugging Jihoon tightly after she's secured the bubble tea. Happily sipping on her tea, she drags Jihoon to the kitchen.


Since there's just too many people, dinner is served buffet style. Hani and Jihoon are the first to get their plates, choosing to sit at the deck as the night isn't too cold nor is it too warm.

While the two are busy in their conversation, Taeyoung drags Bomi to the food and stacks her plate with everything. "You're too skinny, you need to gain some weight." She gives up arguing with him half way through the choices and quietly follows him. They join Hani and Jihoon outside, Hansol and the unknown male join them soon, Baekhyun and Kai manage to drag Chanyeol to the last chair and squeeze himself on the table. Sehun and Chen try to get Suho to join outside, but the leader chooses to sit inside. However, Hani's parents and family are quick to join him.

Hani's shocked to see her parents laughing and chatting with Suho, almost tempted to drag her parents away, but Hansol asks her a question and she forget all about Suho.

Taeyoung keeps talking and has Bomi so preoccupied, she doesn't notice Chanyeol until she hears him coughing violently, almost as if he's choking. The reason for that, Bomi managed to get some sauce stuck on her lip and Taeyoung didn't think twice before using his thumb to wipe it off and his thumb to clean it. She watches to make sure he's fine, but the minute he looks at her, she quickly turns away to Taeyoung.

Nayoung and Minkyu make the most of the situation and engage the others members in conversation.


After dinner, Hanna brings out the cakes and once everyone has their slice, Hansol calls for their attention.

He stands in middle of the room and looks at his sister, before turning to address the room. “Mom, Dad, Family. EXO. Wow. I never imagined EXO in my living room. I would like to introduce my soulmate, Youngjae”

Hanna chooses that moment to yell “Bomi and Hani also found their soulmates.” Hani feels Jihoon stiffen beside her and she can't stop her eyes from tearing up. She tries to hold his hand, but he gently shakes it off.

Jaws hit the floor and there’s a pin drop silence.

Taeyoung cracks first.

"You found your soulmate, Congrats. You too Han.” he says with a sad smile and a sadder voice, hugging Bomi and his cousin briefly. “I’m actually quite tired, so I’ll be in my room.” he says to no one in particular and avoids looking at anyone as he trudges up the stairs.

“Bom, Han congrats. I don’t know who you are, but If I see a single tear in their eyes, I will hurt you.” Mingkyu warns the two men, following after Taeyoung.

Hani silently watches Jihoon “discreetly” head to the stairs and she can't stop the stinging in her eyes from turning to tears, she feels the first one roll down her eyes, just as someone hugs her.

“It’ll be fine. He knew it was bound to happen, sooner or later. It was just much sooner than either of you expected.” Haneul whispers in her ears, trying to assure her, but she can't stop the hurt she's feeling at the loss of her best friend.

While the elders are busy cooing over Hansol’s soulmate. Bomi uses the distraction to leave as well, but she’s surprised to see Nayoung and Baekhyun enter the elevator, just before the doors shut.

Haneul pulls away from Hani, noticing Suho walking towards them. He asks Hani for a talk, her initial response is to refuse but her brother agrees on her behalf and nudges them towards the elevators.

Chanyeol tries to look for his soulmate, but seeing no sign of her, he follows behind Suho and Hani. The others members join them for the elevator ride. The ride is uncomfortable, since Hani still seems to be tearing up and she refuses to acknowledge anyone's question.

She only accepts Suho's handkerchief, after Sehun jokes about her mascara might be running down her face, forgetting she removed her make up after her first crying session.

The male's chuckle at her reaction, but a glare form Suho and Hani shuts them up.