[ chapter iv ]

Selcouth Equilibrium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Curtains are slid, windows are opened, and the breakfast portions of bacon are prepared on the desk.

 

It was the everyday routine. The butler wakes up at five AM, ready to review the palace corners before heading out to alarm the rest of the palace servants. The servants will then prepare the rest of the daily necessities of the royal family.

 

"Wake up, Your Highness," Yuta says as he taps Mina's shoulder continuously.

 

The princess who slept late last night brushed his hand away and turned to the opposite direction. She groaned, "Let me sleep a little more."

 

"I guess lethargy caught you yesterday," Yuta sighs. "But your breakfast will get cold. It's best to eat it while it's warm. Your favorite beverage is waiting for you, too."

 

"Hot chocolate?" Mina mumbled, her voice tired and raspy. 

 

Yuta leaned forward. "The one and only," he replied.

 

Mina turned again, her back now fully laid on the mattress. Soon, she sits up and squints, rubbing her eyes to get a better view. 

 

She clears , "Will you kindly recapitulate my schedule for the next two weeks?" She attempts to command even with the softness of her tone; the effect of drowsiness dominating , eventually coming out as persistent grunts and subtle yawns.

 

The butler fixed his posture. He held his wrist behind his back, tilting his head as an expression of recalling the crown princess' listed schedule. His eyes wander above the ceiling while he gathers an accurate enumeration.

 

He bites his inner cheek. "The next three days are vacant, as your father requested in allotment for your essential rest. Although, on February twenty-one, a day after your three-day rest, the 2018 Nation's Baseball League Cup will be held in Nagoya Dome, and the royal family is required to attend for the annual game," he coughed with his fist covering his mouth.

 

Mina lays her head on the headrest, nodding in acknowledgment as he continues, "The family has received an invitation from a newly-engaged couple to attend their wedding as guests of honor. The Emperor has considered the invitation. The wedding will take place at a five-star hotel in Osaka. February twenty-five, three PM to eight PM."

 

The princess bit her lip. She closed her eyes and hums in reply. 

 

"Perhaps you should make the most of your time off. We wouldn't want to tire you further once the back to back trips push you to adhere hence your schedule." Yuta begins to pace around the room, opening Mina's closet to prepare her outfit for the day. 

 

Once she has fully gained her consciousness, Mina stretched her arms with a scrunching look. She slowly drags her right leg to the edge until both legs extend for her feet to land on the floor. Her fingers clutching the sheets, she heaves a deep exhale before supporting herself to stand up.

 

Her feet lead her to the vacant seat. The desk filled with the fresh smell of cooked bacon with a fancy-looking mug positioned beside the plate. She could just drool over the perfect breakfast; her favorite drink along with a delicious meal. It was obvious she missed this, too.

 

The clothes are now piled on top of the drawer beside the bed. It seems the scattered pillows and the messy sheets need a fix, so the butler leans over to collect the pillows on one side while outstretched his arms, the ends of the alabaster-colored blanket pinned between his thumbs and index fingers.

 

He folds and lays the blanket neatly on the bed. The pillows were returned to its original positions after.

 

While Yuta continues to organize the princess' bedroom interior, Mina nonchalantly slices a piece of bacon with a table knife. Scrambled eggs were there to accompany the main dish; the two breakfast goodies makes the whole meal average but satisfying.

 

Baseball on twenty-one then a wedding on twenty-five...

 

She holds the mug slightly above the surface, giving her the chance to take a sip from the filled beverage. 

 

The morning was quite tranquil today. It was eight AM, just in time for the princess' beginning of her daily routine. The rest of the day wasn't planned, to say the least. Today is a free day, and the princess doesn't have any specific activities in mind. 

 

Well, the library visit is a necessary task, so she didn't consider it as an activity.

 

The butler proceeds to Mina's direction. He positions himself beside the royal, who continued slicing the scrambled eggs then forking it to be lifted up to . "What are your plans for today, Your Highness? I would gladly prepare any enjoyable requests you have in mind."

 

Mina chews the egg before swallowing. She coughs, releasing the itchy feeling trapped inside . Yuta politely lends the princess a napkin.

 

She wipes , following another small cough. She placed the napkin on the desk to keep the virus away from her food. She answers, "I am planning to visit the palace library today. The history books are my main objective. Will you please ask Hiroku-san to collect the history books I have studied before? Include the books that my father has read about the woman in the portrait."

 

Mina leans back after the empty plate. The mug was half-filled, still waiting to be finished. She crossed her legs under the desk; a constant habit by now.

 

Yuta nods. Although he was surprised to receive an educational command, he decides to keep the questions until later as a topic for the incoming conversations. For now, his priority is to obey the princess' requests.

 

"As you wish, Your Highness. In what time would you visit? I'll ask Hiroku-san to prepare as I return back to the kitchen with your finished breakfast," He follows, "I'll ask the maids to clean the library while you dress yourself up. I could recall some dust scattered above the bookshelves the last time I scrutinized. It would be preferred to enjoy a clean environment."

 

Mina gives Yuta a tender smile; a sign of gratitude. She bows her head in agreement, appreciating his suggestions soon after, "I appreciate that very well, Yuta." She rotates her head to the direction of the windows, displaying the bright sky outside. "I'll visit after lunch, in case the maids need more time to wipe the dust off the bookshelves. The palace library is large in terms of length. The area is as spacious as an empty court. Reward them, if you may. I'll leave the reward up to you."

 

"Joyous words, of course. The type of words the princess would like to hear. The maids would be glad." The butler's lips curved in response to Mina's compassionate reminder. Rewarding the fellow servants who have done nothing but to adhere by the nobility's commands wholeheartedly has always been her favourite gesture. A full-time meal, a requisite amount of days-off, or even a high quantity of necessary pay; the crown princess is always willing to extend her solicitous disposition.

 

Eventually, the mug has become unoccupied. The remaining brown liquid slides around the circular space the moment its handle was grasped by the detailed hand, the white cuff springing out from his black sleeve. Yuta placed the utensils, the greasy plate, and the mug back to the glass tray. 

 

"If I may excuse myself, Your Highness. I'll be returning the dishware in need of washing." Yuta bows with his fingers pointing up, the glass tray perfectly stable above the shape.

 

Mina chuckled. Yuta's tendency to forget her frequent notifications mostly entertained her. Is it really his intention to speak of inferiority or forget the casual approach nonetheless?

 

Yuta awaits for her acceptance. The chuckle did surprise him, but surely enough, the princess was just enjoying the pleasant morning.

 

"How long will you endure the constant pain of speaking with such accent? Your way communication is fascinating, and yet, I expect you to converse with me in the lowest level I recommend. A penny for your thoughts, would you incline?" She finally voices out her thoughts. Ironically, she's speaking the same manner she states the butler speaks of. It's a way of proving her evidence.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter