[ chapter ii ]

Selcouth Equilibrium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun continued shining through the pillars that held the palace together. The corridors were spacious and the feeling of solitude crept in, but with a companion by your side, walking along the tiled floors wasn't so bad after all. 

 

Along the way, several workers greeted and went down on their knees the moment they bumped into the Crown Princess who strolled with mercy and kindness within her eyes. She acknowledged an old maid, who was apparently new, and insisted that the maid should disregard the bow just so she won't exert that much effort every time they will encounter.

 

All the female servants in the palace look up to the princess. Who wouldn't want to be absolutely gorgeous, impressively independent, and unbelievably compassionate? The good adjectives that would describe Myoui Mina were far more than a million, and it was undeniably true.

 

While the halls grew quiet, Mina fastened her fingers behind. She walked slowly, admiring the details the sunlight emphasized on the walls. Outside the pillars was the palace garden. It was massive, filled with all sorts of plants, and covered with trees that brought shade to some group of flowers that still shone even beneath.

 

Butterflies were fluttering everywhere, and Mina couldn't help but smile at the sight. The garden was similar to the courtyard in terms of appearance, but the courtyard was much more peaceful without the crawling bugs around. The garden stuck to its definition with all the plants growing here and there. A pool of clear water in the center of the garden, surrounded by bushes that were trimmed to form a perfect rectangle. 

 

"The garden looks pretty, doesn't it? Rikako-san spent most of her days watering the flowers," Yuta remarks while the two stared in awe.

 

Mina giggled, "She's stealing the gardener's job away. She really is a plant lover."

 

"Mikoto-san always complained about her presence. It was hilarious to watch," Yuta chortles as he remembers the vivid memories of an old man approaching him from time to time just to complain.

 

"He loves to work solo, you can't blame the old man."  

 

The princess and the butler passed some time watching the garden through the pillars. But as soon as they were satisfied, they proceeded to the next room that the open hallway was connected to.

 

On top of the doors was a sign that read Honorary Hall. Yuta opened the tall doors, revealing another hallway full of portraits that were hanged on both sides of the room. The ivory walls compliment the beige plaster flooring that possessed an argyle pattern alongside. The ceiling was transparent, so the hallway collected all the sunlight that the sun emits, making the whole area so illuminated.

 

Mina began her pace slowly, sharing her glances to each frame while mumbling the names carved on a silver sign under the portraits.

 

Yazawa Haruhi...

 

Izugachi Taiga...

 

Kurosaki Yuno...

 

Part of growing up as a royal blood is studying the history of Japan. That includes the historical figures who contributed a huge section that helped Japan turn into the country it is today. Mina, who studied Japanese culture and history for five years, memorized the story behind each individual on each portrait. It was no surprise that Myoui Mina grew responsible and intelligent, courtesy of the past leaders that gave her inspiration and motivation to go on.

 

Each portrait was a normal sight by now, so Mina didn't waste any time passing along each frame. The Emperor and the Empress were included in the honorary hall, too. Their portraits are right next to the past rulers that took over the country since monarchy was established in Japan.

 

But just as the crown princess assured herself that no change took place inside the honorary hall, a foreign image caught her attention and made her stop her tracks.

 

It was another portrait, but this one is unrecognizable and Mina has never seen a portrait similar to it before. She averts her eyes below to earn the name of the being on the frame, but the silver sign was non-existent and the curiosity grew each passing second.

 

Slowly, she turns her head to Yuta who was just approaching her after adjusting a tiny portrait close to the doors.

 

"Yuta?"

 

Yuta brushes his vest and pulls his blazer down. "I apologize for leaving you, Mina. Is there something that is within your concerns?"

 

Mina sways her head, her eyes returning to the foreign portrait on the wall. "Was this portrait ever there?" she alludes.

 

Yuta's eyes point to the image Mina was referring to. He pursed his lips and remembered, "Ah! That's a new addition. Your father decided to visit the library days ago, and he discovered another contributor to the history of Japan, so he asked to hang her portrait in the honorary hall."

 

The princess hums. "Would you kindly tell me the information behind this woman?"

 

She glanced at the portrait again, that until she noticed the difference now. The woman was sitting down, reading a pocketbook on one hand with a pocket watch fixed on the opposite arm resting on the armchair. The rest of the portraits were just shots of the upper body of the figures while this one contained a pose.

 

"Her name is Yoo Jeongyeon. She is a young Korean citizen but migrated to Japan as soon as the European government colonized their country. Her occupation was said to be a researcher, but it was never verified," he narrates, "While she stayed here in Japan, she was mistaken as a Japanese citizen and even called her by the name 'Fujiko'."

 

Yuta paused the narrative while he steps closer to the portrait. "Her identity wasn't revealed until the Europeans ordered a group of Korean soldiers to assassinate the tenth Emperor of Japan. She was soon identified as a Korean citizen, and the Japanese people degraded her for it."

 

"That's terrible..."

 

The butler nods, faking a cough after, "You were taught about the European colonization of Japan, if I can recall."

 

"Yes, I was," Mina answered.

 

"The Europeans abused the people, unfortunately. The Empress planned to make a move against them, but they were captured beforehand. The whole family was. They were soon to be executed, and that's when Yoo Jeongyeon comes in."

 

Mina stiffened. She listened eagerly, trying t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter