[ chapter xii ]

Selcouth Equilibrium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Being a Crown Princess isn't exactly the easiest job in the world. Perhaps the majority had come to acknowledge that fully; the total expanse of an entire country is for you to proclaim sovereignty and 'til then, refusal to rule was never an option.

 

But it wasn't always just Mina; Sana had come to walk along the royal path too despite her stand in life, not that she was far from different from the princess' rank in the hierarchy. Though the latter had much of a better understanding when it comes to their very existence, Mina's comprehension was simply beyond the restrictions of her regal partitions.

 

(They say that a Crown Princess serves to understand. A Crown Princess serves to define her country.)

 

At this very moment, Mina requires a realistic grip. The setting she had concluded to fathom, but the facets of this current situation are necessary for further investigation.

 

(She never realized how much she needed Sana right now.)

 

For a brief second, Mina was deceived by the foolish trickeries her eyes have played before her. The depths of this absurdity is expanding to an endless void of lies — one that the princess cannot escape this time.

 

And Jihyo, whose facade had been authentic for the duration of her stay, cannot seem to fabricate such a lie. Mina is just as clueless and oblivious, internally convincing herself that this is a dream to reckon as another state of crucial irrationality.

 

The year 1904 is an extensive amount of time to compare against the present. Mina could ponder about the impending adversaries years from now if this certain past could not alter any shape or form of the future.

 

Mina is trained for inevitable situations, but a situation like this is absolutely uncalled for. Time travel has a spectacular inclusion in the sci-fi genre — both book-wise and film-wise — but as much as everyone thought it would be a fun and exceptional activity to change the outcomes of their lack of caution and the causes of the current predicaments, the sole notion is situated at a far distance away from human capability to achieve.

 

Besides, how can a bush bring her back to 1904? It is nonsensical and must not be taken into truth.

 

There must be a misunderstanding.

 

As Mina meditates upon the degrees of her abrupt arrival, Jihyo is watching with pure vigilance in case Mina grows weary of her condition. Her eyes filled with cautious discernment, Mina locks gazes to see if there is any deceiving for her to pinpoint.

 

"Pardon me, but you're not serious, are you?" Mina asks warily, her grip on the wooden fence tightening in unison to Jihyo's curious clutches.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"How did I go from 2018 to 1904? Don't you think that's a little bit absurd?"

 

Jihyo's eyes narrow, less suspicious and more perplexed. She shakes her head slowly — a negative response.

 

Mina expects Jihyo to laugh. Make fun of her for being this foolish to accept a joke.

 

(Aside from close relations, nobody jokes with the princess.)

 

Until they hear the chorus of meh's from the flock of sheep and Mina realizes: nothing is a joke. This is not one of her father's royal gags, nor Yuta's morning practices to get her to wake up.

 

This is a vivid dream — the only logical conclusion left for her to approach.

 

That's right. It's just a dream. All she needs to do is to wake up.

 

The princess will have to wait 'til the dawn breaches, a cue for Yuta to shake the threatening slumber off her body and to permit her to leave from this godforsaken dream.

 

For now, she can play pretend to amplify her sanity in this dimension. She is no princess, nor a noble who must be treated with the utmost respect.

 

Myoui Mina is a stranger to Jihyo and her brothers.

 

That's fine. She can play a stranger too.

 

"2018, huh?" Jihyo says, the numbers playing on the tip of her tongue, thinking about the probable length of the Earth's cosmic aging or some sort. Always the curious kind.

 

"I apologize," Mina concedes suddenly, her grip loosening on the wooden fence. "Terrible accusations. I should have known better."

 

Jihyo's eyes soften, releasing somewhat a recognition to Mina's tranquil personality and fixed stature.

 

She's no longer surprised if Mina does happen to be a crown princess like she claims to be. With tender features that accentuate a different category of beauty, Mina would be mistaken as a noblewoman nonetheless.

 

(By this time, Jihyo needs to think of a good excuse if someone happens to ask if Mina is a noblewoman. Can't risk seeing the disappointed look on their faces when she says no.)

 

"That's...alright." Hesitance is the main point of the conversation.

 

Perhaps Mina is still cautious about the environment. Jihyo understands quite enough and is more than willing to keep her preoccupied if the poor girl will cooperate without difficulty.

 

(Momo is still held accountable for everything. Curse that baffoon. Jihyo prays that she trips somewhere.)

 

There's a tiny answer grunting behind Jihyo's mind for some reason, as if signifying that it's a possible solution for the misunderstanding to dissipate too. Jihyo wouldn't like it any other way, though if she wants to make things a lot easier, then maybe it might create a positive impact on Mina's outlook of the situation.

 

"I have a proposal." Mina likes the sound of that. Anything profound could be of help right now.

 

The way Mina's eyes sharpen defines her manner of interest, Jihyo supposes, which permits her to continue elaborating the purpose of her sudden invitation.

 

Jihyo spares a glance behind Mina then returns her gaze. Locked. "I know someone who could help you. Her appearance is unreliable the first time you see it, but I assure you that she can grant you all the answers..." she pauses, searching for the right combination of words. "...you might need."

 

Mina's lips twitch as a reaction. Jihyo's voice is solemn; she could refer to that and hope that there is no malicious intent behind the proposal.

 

Park Jihyo has been nothing but kind. She is the sole reason why her grasp is tightening around the vivid rope and why her sanity is tied from mental loss.

 

"I will ask Jinyoung to lead you. Or Chanyeol, if your comfortableness is nearing towards him." Jihyo's lips curl upward when she approaches Mina — no mischief, just pure guarantee. "I will have to attend to my chores for today; makes it fair for the three of us."

 

Jihyo's eyes divert across the area where the sheep herds, Chanyeol lying on the grass with the wooden crook fluctuating on top of his clothed chest while he sleeps.

 

"Who will I look for exactly?" Mina stare is steady — eager.

 

"Ostrich." She could see the enthusiasm coursing thought Jihyo's fingers when she taps on the surface. "Don't ask. She'll know when you get there."

 

Then Jihyo twirls toward the fence. Her torso begins to lean forward with her fingers clutching the wooden plank as she yells in her native language: "LAMBS GO NORTH!"

 

Mina flinches at that, a bit taken aback, but stupefaction increases a degree when Chanyeol reacts with a panicked demeanor from the distance. He tumbles when an attempt to stand up has been made whilst ridiculously shouting incoherent words that the princess would not even bother to ask about.

 

Some sheep gather around Chanyeol's vicinity, however, for such an unfortunate reason, the remaining sheep exits the threshold of his presence, scurrying away without supervision to notice their abrupt escape. Jihyo watches the scene unfold with the look Mina couldn't quite fathom all too well, but the solemnity of Chanyeol counting had come to reach his discernment — inadequate.

 

Mina thought that Jihyo’s brother would arrive with a heavy approach, to chase the sheep and guarantee that they should be submissive to the shepherd’s orders. However, even with the limited knowledge she possesses about herding sheep, she always believed that shepherds were as gentle as the wool of their flocks.

 

"Hey!" Chanyeol calls, his careful pace maintaining as he corners the perimeter where some of the lambs have gathered.

 

"I don't know why but I'm amazed," Mina says, eyes on Chanyeol when he has successfully collected the sheep from the borders and led them across the center of the field where the main flock anticipates. They scatter every once in a while, with one to two lambs losing their way, but it seems that Jihyo's brother has quite the skills for herding when he accumulates the woollybacks into one solid formation.

 

The flock then enters an open gate divided from the field by the wooden fence. Chanyeol trails from the back, making sure that not a single sheep is left behind in the field.

 

Mina's mouth gapes, impressed by the sudden professionalism the eldest Park sibling has shown.

 

(It's the first time she's ever seen how a shepherd works in real life too.)

 

After Chanyeol has shut the gate, he spots the two females watching from the opposite side of the boundary. He raises an arm and waves, providing a warm greeting to their abrupt guest.

 

_____

 

Mina takes the opportunity of venturing around the streets of Kyoto to observe and study her current environment.

 

Jihyo has wished them well off, also assuring Mina that she'll be in good hands as far as she knows. Though the princess herself has not fully comprehended the outcomes of her decision to listen to Jihyo's suggestion, she has concluded that this is the only probable way for her to receive answers in order to rescue her sanity and her reputation.

 

Along the way, Mina had caught a glimpse of certain objects and uncanny procedures that are foreign to sight and strange to differentiate. Compared to her Kyoto, this Kyoto is composed of tradition and culture — a stark contrast to the city she completely knows. It was like a distinct scenery of a photograph way back in time when World War I was ought to begin.

 

Straw hats, kimonos, hanboks, clay pots, horses and donkeys, ancient architecture — things you don't see everyday.

 

Certain, the Mina feels Jihyo's assertiveness seeping through her body; 1904 the baker says, 1904 the crown princess is starting to believe.

 

But even if she did return to 1904, there is still a modicum of the possibility that these are all fragments of dreams cultivating vivid situations as the princess takes her necessity of a slumber.

 

She just needs to wait. That's enough.

 

The streets were filled with foreigners, all distinct with their respected attires and accessories. Mina can hardly spot her fellow natives with the quantity of expensive-looking shoes and fancy coats roaming around, and with the inclusion of puffy dresses and well-groomed hairstyles that top the pavements, she walks with incredulity, suddenly aware of the invasion of foreigners that reside outside the boundaries of Asia.

 

Mina watches Chanyeol walk without wearing the same look, unbelievably, he looks just as unbothered as the rest of the crowd.

 

"If you don't mind me asking, is this place common for travelers like them?" Mina questions as she follows Chanyeol's pace who seems to be leading the venture.

 

Chanyeol slows down to allow Mina to catch up. "They are not travelers, in fact, they reside here in Kyoto. Some are British, some are Americans, even Spaniards if you managed to meet one along the way. Joseon and Chinese individuals join in as well, but the Americans and noble families fill the tram and buy the complete stock off of the market now and then."

 

"Does that explain why you and your siblings happen to establish a bakery here?"

 

"I believe so. We barely gained profit back in Joseon, which leads our father to decide to bring us here in Kyoto instead."

 

The location transitions into an open and spacious environment whereas Mina had just registered the large marble arch upon them — a pleasurable welcome as the residents of the city enter a wide bridge that connects far from the distance.

 

Chanyeol gestures for both of them to walk near the railings as a carriage advances through the middle. Mina sees an exorbitant man sitting on the passenger seat next to a woman appearing the same status.

 

"Nobles," Chanyeol says all too suddenly, "They own a major portion of the land here in Japan, let alone the city of Kyoto."

 

Mina peeks one last time over her shoulder. The carriage stops when it exits the threshold of the bridge until the coachman hops off his own seat to open the door with enough politeness for his passengers to descend the vehicle.

 

“But surprisingly, we found out that there are only a total of five carriages available for transport here in Kyoto. Foreign carriages, to specify, with all the horses sent from Great Britain; the Japanese empire found suitable uses for these animals,” Chanyeol adds briefly, “I was told that majority of the horses are utilized in Tokyo. Is that true, Mina-san?”

 

Mina isn’t sure of what to answer. But advancing with the flow might be fitting for the moment.

 

“Apparently.”

 

They both proceed to walk alongside the railings with several umbrellas providing shade over them. The bridge is vast enough for a carriage to walk through (the princess wonders if this certain bridge still exists in her recent time) and its position is quite impressive. A river flows below the architecture, pure and clear, unlike the current condition of the bodies of water where they have been declared polluted and contaminated to the point where it could affect not even those who live below but those who wish to bathe in the waters too.

 

(Mina thinks that she should propose a program soon solely for the cleansing of the environmental waterscapes. She finds this as another reason why it is a necessity to return to the palace.)

 

The structure of the city continues on the opposite side of the bridge, right where Mina exits to meet another broad arch built on the end of the material link.

 

To think that Year 1904 was this progressive in terms of structural mechanisms. Astonishing, and yet, a visible distinction still exists between this ancient year and her current time.

 

Chanyeol leads her into a narrow alley — compact, but enough to provide air that wouldn't suffocate passersby when they enter.

 

"Sorry if it's a little dense," says the eldest Park sibling, "Hirai fancies keeping a low profile."

 

When they successfully stuck themselves out the alley, Mina asks amidst brushing her attire, "May I ask who is Hirai? Are they the one we are supposed to meet?"

 

"Oh, no, not at all! If there's anyone to question in this country, Hirai is automatically out of the list." Mina's face appears to be more so earnest than it looks, so Chanyeol snickers with a joke to provide some sense of humor to ease the princess' curious countenance.

 

"Hirai...I am not certain myself but, strangely, I can register that name." The words that fumbled inside her head resonated through her lips. Unaware of her 's perplexed reaction, Mina contemplates in silence, her vigilance still palpable throughout the duration of her stay.

 

The sunlight begins to gather into thin rays seeking through the leaves above, all granted with perfect exposure as the two figures stroll below the slim trees that adorn either side of the rugged pathway. They grow cautious of their footing, careful as to not acquire even the most minor of injuries for the rocks have grown accentuated every step of the way.

 

Mina's heartbeat fluctuates with the view emphasizing ever so wonderfully. It is the first time in years she had seen such a sight outdoor; not much to say when beloved grace still manages to attach onto the falling leaves, all collecting into a single pile beside the trunks.

 

"We're here!" The abruptness of Chanyeol's announcement surprises Mina. She pauses first, examining the location, then tilts her head as if to question the certitude of his declaration.

 

Chanyeol sees this as a cue to beam somewhat — a sign of reassurance, perhaps. He gestures the puzzled princess to follow him, and just a few steps away from their last position, there before them lies a wooden gate with its sides enriched with moss.

 

Behind is a small, yet, polished house made of wood as well. It is antiquated, equivalent to those of the resident architectures they have passed by along the streets.

 

Mina observes the rectangular wooden sign built upon the pole that supports the frame of the gate. She reads the words written in black paint: Hirai and Yoo.

 

"Hirai and Yoo?" Mina averts her eyes back to Chanyeol who seems to be struggling to open the gate.

 

"Mhm," he simply answers, too focused on the lock. "Ah, Momo really needs to fix this soon..."

 

Momo?

 

After minutes of threatening to break the gate lock, Chanyeol withdraws to straighten his back. "I hope someone's in there. I'll try giving it a call."

 

He knocks on the gate five times in a row first, waiting for a response each time he lands his knuckles on the surface. By the time he bangs his palm on the surface of the gate, he yells, "Hirai! It's me, Chanyeol!"

 

Mina steps aside when he resumes the banging, more or less violently this time and the princess isn't sure if it is the best decision to ask him to tone it down.

 

"You have a visitor!" His hand could have rammed through the gate if he didn't use his palm so vigorously. The frequency of this particular situation is the only reason Mina is building boundaries to restrict her from making a move and question Chanyeol's antics.

 

"Stop that already!" A voice from the opposite side of the gate pulsates in reply — a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter